Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/27/2024 11:18:03 AM EDT
Robar's gone.

I know its gunsmith (they prep, send off...) to industrial coater.

Who's the pros these days? By pro, I mean a shop with competent gunsmiths that wont gaff my gun up in the Disassemble/reassemble process.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 11:21:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I thought NP3 was no longer being done for individuals.  Only production runs for mfgs.

NT7 is supposedly the replacement.

https://wrightarmory.com/nt7-metal-finishing/
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 11:24:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I thought NP3 was no longer being done for individuals.  Only production runs for mfgs.

View Quote

I've looked into getting NP3 done and found the NT7 stuff.  Supposedly it's as good.

Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:09:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Wright Armory has done several items for me in their new NT7+; BCG's, Glock slides, 870 bolt and internals.  It's all perfect.  I like NT7+ over the old NP3...the NT7+ is a better color and matte finish compared to the old NP3 stuff I have.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:24:42 PM EDT
[#4]
@AT-ST83
Got any pics of the slides you had done?
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:33:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I wonder where Langdon gets theirs done.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:39:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
@AT-ST83
Got any pics of the slides you had done?
View Quote

I don't have any pictures of my firearms available, but Wright Armory has a ton on their Instagram.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:41:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I used Robar for several projects, they were awesome

Rogard and NP3 coatings
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:44:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

I do not have any experience with NP3 or NT7 coatings.  

However, Wright Armory is solid gunsmithing.   I’ve had custom made guns (one offs) made and several machine guns tuned.   Not a single issue.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:59:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
However, Wright Armory is solid gunsmithing.   I’ve had custom made guns (one offs) made and several machine guns tuned.   Not a single issue.
View Quote
Good to know, thanks!
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 3:15:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Honest question, why this over DLC silver?
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 3:28:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Honest question, why this over DLC silver?
View Quote

@Boom_Stick
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 4:45:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Never heard of DLC silver?

It a better coating?
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 4:48:35 PM EDT
[#13]
OST
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 6:15:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Never heard of DLC silver?

It a better coating?
View Quote

DLC is an extremely tough coating and very corrosion resistant. It’s a Diamond Like coating. It’s a coating/finish that is laid down in a plasma field (PVD). I think the hardness is up in the 60s range for DLC, where it’s 55 for NT7+. But if I’m reading things correctly, NT7+ is more corrosion resistant.

Is it better than the one you’re discussing? I don’t know. I know the black DLC On my DWX is stunning.

https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/hard-chrome-vs-silver-dlc.161862/

I asked in part because I might have my DWX refinished one day to a matte chrome or matte silver look. The pics of the one you listed is pretty nice. Not sure if it’s better or worse than DLC silver though.

Link for reference pics
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 8:30:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

DLC is an extremely tough coating and very corrosion resistant. It's a Diamond Like coating. It's a coating/finish that is laid down in a plasma field (PVD). I think the hardness is up in the 60s range for DLC, where it's 55 for NT7+. But if I'm reading things correctly, NT7+ is more corrosion resistant.

Is it better than the one you're discussing? I don't know. I know the black DLC On my DWX is stunning.

I asked in part because I might have my DWX refinished one day to a matte chrome or matte silver look. The pics of the one you listed is pretty nice. Not sure if it's better or worse than DLC silver though.

Link for reference pics
View Quote
DLC is a very tough finish but is not supposed to be very corrosion resistant.  And that's coming from the guys who sell it.

NP3 on the other hand may not be as hard but is basically a full on maritime finish.
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 3:49:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Good to know, thanks!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
However, Wright Armory is solid gunsmithing.   I've had custom made guns (one offs) made and several machine guns tuned.   Not a single issue.
Good to know, thanks!
I wanted to chime in with the same experiences at WA.  They are NOT cheap...but they ARE good.

They help me with some fairly esoteric projects and I have been really happy with them.
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 3:51:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I used Robar for several projects, they were awesome

Rogard and NP3 coatings
View Quote

Robbie did a couple of slides for me years ago...I also had my 10/22 mag hard chromed matte that came out really nice...
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 9:50:48 PM EDT
[#18]
BUMP

@OP

what did you find out?
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 9:51:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
DLC is a very tough finish but is not supposed to be very corrosion resistant.  And that's coming from the guys who sell it.

NP3 on the other hand may not be as hard but is basically a full on maritime finish.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

DLC is an extremely tough coating and very corrosion resistant. It's a Diamond Like coating. It's a coating/finish that is laid down in a plasma field (PVD). I think the hardness is up in the 60s range for DLC, where it's 55 for NT7+. But if I'm reading things correctly, NT7+ is more corrosion resistant.

Is it better than the one you're discussing? I don't know. I know the black DLC On my DWX is stunning.

I asked in part because I might have my DWX refinished one day to a matte chrome or matte silver look. The pics of the one you listed is pretty nice. Not sure if it's better or worse than DLC silver though.

Link for reference pics

Ah, I misread then. Appreciate you weighing in.
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 9:57:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Can’t weigh in on where to get it done, but will state it’s pretty awesome.  I’ve got a Colt Commander that got Robar’s reliability package and NP3 coating before I purchased it.  Afterwards I had Silencerco/XS suppressor sights fitted along with a Nowlin barrel threaded by Adco.

The finish is durable and SLICK.

Link Posted: 7/8/2024 10:36:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
BUMP
OP
what did you find out?
View Quote

Pretty sure Im going with Wright Armory. They seem to be direct descendant of robar plus the positive reviews here.
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 10:54:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Almost $600 for a handgun after you figure in the disassembly/assembly charge?  Fuck the fucking fuck off.
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 11:02:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Pretty sure Im going with Wright Armory. They seem to be direct descendant of robar plus the positive reviews here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
BUMP
OP
what did you find out?

Thanks! Please post pics and review!
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 11:06:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

I wanted to get one of my CZ done in NP3 when I got cajun gun works to do an optic cut.  They had issues with quality and no longer offered the service for it by the time I got around to it.....still haven't gotten my optic cut done....

I will look at the NT7 stuff...thanks.
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 11:23:17 PM EDT
[#25]
I found this from Robbie;

https://coatingtechnologiesllc.com/robar-closure/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top