User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 10:44:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By backbencher:

And yet, despite being obsolescent for more than half a century, the .38 Special revolver continues to sell in large numbers.  Why?

Because it's intuitive and easy to learn how to shoot sufficiently.  A revolver may be difficult to shoot well at 10 yards in double action - but as you claim yourself, snubs are meant for use in CQB w/o using the sights.  Grandma can hit the torso of a silhouette target from 3 yards very reliably - probably without practice.  Can she hit a coyote from 25 yds DA without practice?  No, if she has a need to hit coyotes, she doubtless will have a more appropriate tool for the job or be surprisingly well skilled w/ her revolver from long use.

Experts have been decrying the revolver, and particularly the snub nose, as an expert's weapon since semi-autos were introduced - and semi-autos are much easier to shoot well.  But for 87% of people, they simply need to shoot sufficiently to end the threat, and 87% of the time that will be at very close quarters - b/c humans don't naturally want to kill each other, and generally grandma is only going to shoot at the last moment when she's all but forced to do so.

When was the last time you practiced with your fire extinguisher?  For 87% of people, an HD handgun is very much in the same class of equipment - and you're more likely to use your generator than either.
View Quote

For someone not super proficient yet I see more limp wristing stoppages in autos as a problem.  An experienced shooter has gotten past that stage with experience and rounds down range.  I cannot recall the last limp wrist type stoppage I had but it was during a work training evolution where I was dragging a simulated person at the same time laterally across the range.  Stop behind corner, clear the stoppage and drive on.  Iirc now that I think of it that may have been a week mag spring issue,....work at times would stretch mag springs and reinstall them for the moment.  After seeing that twice I picked up a bag of g22 springs from Our overlord and host.

If you have a 2” revolver, get shooting it at 10 and 15 yards.  Keep up the practice until you don’t miss.   The wadcutter will certainly do but for training on the range if the .38 round nose are cheaper, shoot those but keep the wadcutter for actual defensive use.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 11:10:13 AM EDT
[#2]
One consideration to make is that a short barreled revolver will be hell of a loud gun inside a dwelling and not my first choice for HD. A longer barrel and not open cylinder gun would be better from the shooter's perspective and location. This does not affect reflected sound back to the shooter's position but the gap at cylinder/barrel makes it not my first choice but in worst case I would use it if it is the first gun I have handy when the show starts.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 4:02:17 PM EDT
[#3]
There is nothing wrong with .38 Special for self-defense. 158 grain SWC's will achieve decent penetration.

I carry a 3" J-Frame during the summer months, a Glock 23 sits on my nightstand with a G22 mag installed.

2" revolvers are designed for deep concealment. I have a friend who carry's his in his right front pocket.

It will work for home defense, but it is my belief that handguns were designed so you can fight your way to a long gun.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 4:25:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:  There is nothing wrong with .38 Special for self-defense. 158 grain SWC's will achieve decent penetration.

I carry a 3" J-Frame during the summer months, a Glock 23 sits on my nightstand with a G22 mag installed.

2" revolvers are designed for deep concealment. I have a friend who carry's his in his right front pocket.

It will work for home defense, but it is my belief that handguns were designed so you can fight your way to a long gun.
View Quote

Do we have an incident in which we can cite that supposed truism in a lawful non-police civilian shoot?  Because in every lawful non-police civilian shooting I've ever heard of, they run what they brung.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 5:39:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

If you're good with your setup and feel good about your choice, roll with it. Otherwise, reconsider.

I think a home security system, a pair of territorial dogs and a good shotgun would make a decent upgrade.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 7:26:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I love the .38 snub. I carry a G19X at work. That's 17+1, with two 19 round reloads on my belt.

A .38 is more of a break contact gun, than a defensive firearm, but, in the right hands, miracles can and do happen.

I run Federal Train and Protect 158 gr LSWCHP standard pressure. It has an average penetration depth of about 14 inches, which is optimal, and does expand if it hits bone. I have a Taurus 856 UL CH, that cost me 250 dollars on sale at xmas.

S&W 5 shot revolvers are on sale right now for just over 400 dollars. You can pick up a Kimber for just over 500, that is a 6 shot. I've never heard anything bad about the RIA snub, but, IDK if a lot of people own them. There are mixed reviews on the Taurus. There are also mixed reviews on the S&W, the new Colt revolvers, and the Kimber has also had some fitment and firing pin issues.

I like the Taurus a lot. I have maybe 400 rounds through it, give or take. It's been reliable, but I don't play with it. For me, an ultralite is a much better buy in a snub than a steel frame, because you'll want to carry it.

If you haven't already purchased, try out gun.deals and see if you can get a decent price online. Get speedloaders for it. Speed strips are not that good for speed reloading. If it's a 6 shot snub, then the HKS 10A should fit it, but doublecheck it. Also, 5 star is good for metal reloaders.

Train with it at the range. Also, make certain it's heavily lubed up before you start snapping away with it. It normally takes a little while for everything to bed in and have it cycle correctly.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 8:18:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't know if speedloaders are the best option.  If you're carrying a speedloader, why not carry a Taurus G3C w/ 13 more rounds on tap?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top