BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 5/16/2024 9:07:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rigger7]
Looking into get and all steel snubnose and wondering which caliber to get it in.
Not looking for anything in an alloy frame.
Let me know your thoughts.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:30:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:36:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I would go for .357 or .38+p. 9mm would also be cool, but options are limited.

If you go with .38+p, look at Speer Gold Dot 135gr, and Buffalo Bore or Underwood hardcast wadcutter for ammunition.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:59:55 AM EDT
[#3]
38/357
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:13:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GunDisaster] [#4]
Steel is definitely better. Hate shooting my lightweight snub nose in 38 Special. Love shooting my 357 magnum with a 4" barrel. I also have a Chief Special 3" in 38 Special with a steel frame and that was a joy to shoot.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:19:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: StromBusa] [#5]
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 2:34:46 PM EDT
[#6]
.38 Special +P Buffalo Bore 125gr JHP
In both my J's air-weight 637 (1.875") and steel frame Model 60 (2.125")

The steel frame Model 60 can handle .357, particularly with the Hogue grips that I use. It ain't bad, but the .38+P is just a lot less blast/flash/recoil and for that short of a barrel just seems to make sense... Of course anything full size I always run .357, no excuse in not running Magnums in a full-size wheel gun IMHO...

Also not all +P is equal. I've fired lots of +P from different brands. When it comes to Buffalo Bore, their .38 +P is more like .357 diet Magnum... So their is that.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 3:01:12 PM EDT
[#7]
This will shoot both .357 Magnum and .38 Special.  Too big for a pocket gun unless it's a winter parka pocket.

This one will only shoot .38 Special.  It can be used as a pocket gun.

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:05:28 PM EDT
[#8]
All of our snubbys are in .38 Spc or .357 Mag but they are all guns I've owned for quite a while.
If I was looking to start right now I'd for sure consider and research the 32's especially in J-frame size for the 6th round.
But I'd also be looking hard at the new edition Colt Cobra and King Cobra, 6 rounds in the 38's.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:16:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#9]
I sell quite a few of RIA's 6 shot 2" 206s with boxes of 148 grn wadcutters.

I winter pocket carry a SP101 in 9mm.

Heritage is launching a steel frame .38 w/ 2 & 3" barrels.

ETA - look carefully at Lucky Gunner's clear gel tests before you jump, OP.  If you want reliable expansion from a hollowpoint and 12" penetration through calibrated ballistic gel, you're going .357, .327, or 9mm.  If wadcutters are good enough, .38 or .32.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:20:30 PM EDT
[#10]
32 magnum.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:46:41 PM EDT
[#11]
If you are looking at a steel frame snub nose revolver I believe that 357 magnum is the way to go.  My snub nose is a Colt Magnum Carry, if I had to get one now it would be the Colt King Cobra Carry, 357 magnum caliber and a six shot cylinder.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:33:12 PM EDT
[#12]
.41 Special.

210grn bullet is bees-knees in a snubby.

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:52:10 PM EDT
[#13]
44 Special not an option?
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:59:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: akethan] [#14]
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:39:23 PM EDT
[#15]
.32 H&R! I can actually shoot it, unlike .38 Special J-frames.

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 10:46:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 10:54:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By pokey074:
.32 H&R! I can actually shoot it, unlike .38 Special J-frames.

https://i.imgur.com/DZttyVq.jpeg
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 12:28:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By JellyBelly:
44 Special not an option?
View Quote

Of course it is. After a lifetime of carrying 1911's and big bore single actions my Dad lived out his last few years happily carrying a .44 spc double action snubby.

But today, when people talk snubby they usually mean J-frame size guns.

My favorite is an "old" 2 1/2" Python, and if I was to carry one full time today It'd be at least a K frame size but probably more L-frame/Python size gun but that's not even close to what most people think.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:59:00 PM EDT
[#19]
I shot my LCR 9  and 642 UC side by side earlier today, for me the LW J frame wins for pocket carry but, if it were to be a steel gun, and I could only have one, it would be 9MM. It has superior ballistics, buy far, ammo is plentiful, more affordable, my LCR is quite accurate for my purposes, the recoil doesn't bother me and I don't mind the moon clips at all.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:13:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jack_Rackham] [#20]
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:42:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jcast141] [#21]
Originally Posted By TexCorriente:
A few shops offer .38/.357 to 9mm w/moonclip cylinder modification conversions. Names escape me at the moment.
One of the new Lipsey edition 432s converted to 9mm would be pretty slick.
View Quote

Probably not going to be able to do a 9mm conversion on those. All of the 9mm guns are steel frames (940) or based on the .357 frame (LCR). The Aluminum framed ones can’t handle .357/9mm pressure, need fancy metals like Scandium or heavier frames.

To the OP’s question, it’s hard to go against a .357 option. Mild to wild load it to your fancy. I really want to like the .32 offerings but they just don’t have the traction for me. .38 can be found anywhere.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:30:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Actual usable sights. Love my UC J-frame.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:53:47 PM EDT
[#23]
When I think all steel and snubby the SP101 is what comes to mind and I think 357 is controllable in that form factor. I used to carry a 640 Pro it was also gtg. If I weren’t going 357 I would go 327 in the same and with both then have the variety of choosing the lighter options for extended training.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 10:05:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:24:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Well, I just picked up a Rock Island all steel M206 snub nose that after the first 50rds has made it a keeper, no machine marks on it and the double action trigger smoothed out at 8-9 pounds. The single action  trigger is right at 4lbs. I'm just getting to know it and it should get even better after a couple hundred rounds.

For the price,  ($250)  it works fine and I can through it under the seat of the jeep or in the tool box of my atv. At the moment it has moa of 4-6" rocks or pine cones in both double or single action from 7-15yds and will only get better with time.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 11:01:30 AM EDT
[#26]
What's the gun for?

One of the best snubbies you can get these days is the Kimber K6S.  It's the size of a Colt Detective Special, holds 6 rounds of .38 spl. or .357 Mag and has an excellent trigger.

You can step-up in size to a K frame Smith, or down in size to a 5 shot J frame.  It really depends on what your use is and what size gun you want.  9mm Revolvers make an excellent choice.  They're close to .357 Mag power out of a snub, without the blast and recoil.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 12:36:05 AM EDT
[#27]
38 or 357. What about .44 though?
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 1:48:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By dump1567:
What's the gun for?

One of the best snubbies you can get these days is the Kimber K6S.  It's the size of a Colt Detective Special, holds 6 rounds of .38 spl. or .357 Mag and has an excellent trigger.

You can step-up in size to a K frame Smith, or down in size to a 5 shot J frame.  It really depends on what your use is and what size gun you want.  9mm Revolvers make an excellent choice.  They're close to .357 Mag power out of a snub, without the blast and recoil.
View Quote

K6s are under-rated IMHO.
Fantastic triggers, useable sights, not huge sizewise.
22oz steel frames like the K6 and SW640 appear to be about as light as most people can go and still shoot a mild/defensive .357 more than once.
I think they're a good choice if non-big-bear wildlife is a very real consideration for self defense.

One youtuber chrono'd Hornady critical defense 125gr at about ~1240fps out of a 2in revolver (that would be some HOT 9mm , like 9mm NATO out of a fullsize gun) , and said the recoil was surprisingly mild too. That load, along with remington GS and gold dots would be ones I would look at in a snub 357, for me personally anyway
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 10:05:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Geralt55:

K6s are under-rated IMHO.
Fantastic triggers, useable sights, not huge sizewise.
22oz steel frames like the K6 and SW640 appear to be about as light as most people can go and still shoot a mild/defensive .357 more than once.
I think they're a good choice if non-big-bear wildlife is a very real consideration for self defense.

One youtuber chrono'd Hornady critical defense 125gr at about ~1240fps out of a 2in revolver (that would be some HOT 9mm , like 9mm NATO out of a fullsize gun) , and said the recoil was surprisingly mild too. That load, along with remington GS and gold dots would be ones I would look at in a snub 357, for me personally anyway
View Quote

I put some .357 mag GS through my 640.  They weren't bad at all.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 10:39:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tree-hugger] [#30]
What's the gun for?

View Quote

I just checked out the Kimber and I'm wondering about the Non-Stacking Trigger.

I own a 637 and added the Apex $20 trigger kit way back then.  I know NOTHING in detail about revolvers other than really liking this gun.
It feels like the 637 has a stacking trigger ( which I love ) and if so, how do you shoot the Kimber that doesn't have that 'feature'?

That Kimber is really, really cool looking.  Didn't even know it existed.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 8:29:02 AM EDT
[#31]
What size are you looking for? J frame or k frame?

There's nothing wrong with the .32s but I'm happy with .38s.

I like 2" k frames or detective specials for snubbies
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 9:06:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By StromBusa:
My next one will be a Lipsey in 32 - 6 round

https://revolverguy.com/the-lipseys-smith-wesson-ultimate-carry-j-frames-part-ii/
View Quote

I got one & it is a pleasure to shoot!
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 9:10:46 AM EDT
[#33]
I picked up a 9mm LCR and a Taurus M380 that I often carry because they are both light and convenient
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 10:09:19 AM EDT
[#34]
.32s hold an extra round and are more pleasant to shoot. I selected .327 since it’s a steel frame, but would be quite happy with a .32 H&R. Which I do carry.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 10:25:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By tree-hugger:

I own a 637 and added the Apex $20 trigger kit way back then.  I know NOTHING in detail about revolvers other than really liking this gun.
It feels like the 637 has a stacking trigger ( which I love ) and if so, how do you shoot the Kimber that doesn't have that 'feature'?

View Quote

Honestly, you'll have to go handle one yourself to see how it feels.  Are you referring to staging the trigger, or the pull gets heavier as you pull the trigger (stacking).  You can stage the trigger on a Kimber just like an S&W.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 4:05:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Buying a .357 allows you to use .38 Special, which in my opinion is a plus.

I challenge anyone to shoot a box of full power .357 Magnum through a 2" revolver and say they would like to do it again.

.357 Magnum rounds have a lot of power, and 2" revolvers don't absorb it very well. Nether do your hands.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 4:21:19 PM EDT
[#37]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
What's the gun for?

I think when the Kimber gets smooth after dry-firing, it's got a trigger that I would rank with a new production Python in DA.
I stand by that
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 4:22:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: compuvette] [#38]
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:

I challenge anyone to shoot a box of full power .357 Magnum through a 2" revolver and say they would like to do it again.

.357 Magnum rounds have a lot of power, and 2" revolvers don't absorb it very well. Nether do your hands.
View Quote

This is a fair assessment.  Full house 158's aren't super fun in a 2.5" K frame, let alone a lightweight J frame.  I made the stupid mistake of shooting Magnums out of my 360 once.  Felt like I hit my hand with a baseball bat.  It has 38's in it now.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 7:26:40 PM EDT
[#39]

Honestly, you'll have to go handle one yourself to see how it feels.  Are you referring to staging the trigger, or the pull gets heavier as you pull the trigger (stacking).  You can stage the trigger on a Kimber just like an S&W.
View All Quotes

Thanks for the information.  Can't wait to feel it for myself.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 7:27:39 PM EDT
[#40]

I think when the Kimber gets smooth after dry-firing, it's got a trigger that I would rank with a new production Python in DA.
I stand by that
View All Quotes
What's the gun for?

I stand by that

Cool.  Hell, I may even seek one out sooner than later!
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 8:01:35 PM EDT
[#41]
What's the gun for?

View Quote

the only "problem" with a 9mm (and I have one) is they are all .38 cylinders and have a lot of free bore.  a revolver designed around 9mm could have a shorter 9mm length cylinder and have a shorter gun(or a longer barrel for the same size gun).
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 3:28:00 PM EDT
[#42]
I absolutely love my 442UC and I am seriously jonesing for a 432/632UC as well.
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 4:19:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By terry_tr6:

the only "problem" with a 9mm (and I have one) is they are all .38 cylinders and have a lot of free bore.  a revolver designed around 9mm could have a shorter 9mm length cylinder and have a shorter gun(or a longer barrel for the same size gun).
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By terry_tr6:
Originally Posted By dump1567:  What's the gun for?

Only the Korth adopts that design principle.
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 4:24:29 PM EDT
[#44]
I voted for 357 mag mostly for the versatility of having two cartridges I could use.  However, 99% of the revolver's use would be 38 special though.  

What I would really like would be a 44 special..either Charter arms or a S&W 296 (tatanium/scandium frame, hammerless, 5 shot 44 special made for only 2 years).   I have shot a S&W 296 and YIKES it is a handful, but it is a "carry it a lot, rarely shoot it" revolver.
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 9:38:18 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

.357 though my 640 Pro isn’t that bad. It being a SS j frame it’s got enough weight to it that it soaks up the recoil pretty good. My 340PD on the other hand, yeah not pleasant. I do load it with .357 125gr TAC-XPD from Barnes when I carry it though. I’ll take the pain if I need to use it the performance of the .357 round even out of a snubby can’t be argued against.
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 11:32:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Genin:
I voted for 357 mag mostly for the versatility of having two cartridges I could use.  However, 99% of the revolver's use would be 38 special though.  

What I would really like would be a 44 special..either Charter arms or a S&W 296 (tatanium/scandium frame, hammerless, 5 shot 44 special made for only 2 years).   I have shot a S&W 296 and YIKES it is a handful, but it is a "carry it a lot, rarely shoot it" revolver.
View Quote

Which fame is it based on size-wise, K/L-frame?
Supposedly that gun is stupid spicy to shoot, it doesn't really weight anything
I kinda want one though

I wonder if .44spl flatfaced wadcutters are tolerable with the right grips
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 11:38:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By MK318:

.357 though my 640 Pro isn’t that bad. It being a SS j frame it’s got enough weight to it that it soaks up the recoil pretty good. My 340PD on the other hand, yeah not pleasant. I do load it with .357 125gr TAC-XPD from Barnes when I carry it though. I’ll take the pain if I need to use it the performance of the .357 round even out of a snubby can’t be argued against.
View All Quotes

What kind of grip are you running on that 640?
Link Posted: 5/31/2024 12:15:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MK318] [#48]

View All Quotes

The longer CT laser grip. When I carry it I typically carry it OWB in a Galco pancake holster so I’m not as concerned with the grip length. My 340 I am using the little CT boot grip because it is typically my deep concealment gun so keeping it compact is more important than comfort. I know a lot of people don’t like the CT grips, I do. They have worked well for me for decades. They are great for quick point shooting.  
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/31/2024 12:26:13 AM EDT
[#49]
S&W 940. It's a self-updating gun that only gets better as 9mm defensive ammo improves (ammo that is always widely available), with a wide selection for defense and practice. Moon clips are more compact, cheaper, and arguably faster than speed loaders. The short 9mm case fully ejects, even with the short stroke of a snub-nose ejector rod, especially compared to the much longer cases for .38 Special & .357 Magnum. Moon clip further assures full simultaneous ejection of all five spent cases, with no jamming of errant cases under the ejector star.

Link Posted: 5/31/2024 12:45:27 AM EDT
[#50]
I have a Taurus 856 UL DAO that I am fond of, but you say no ultralites. They do make that same gun in a steel version, and you get some more heft.

Anyway, for what it's worth, out of a snub, you don't gain much from .357. I carry Buffalo Bore 158 gr LSWCHP in it, but I also have some speed strips loaded with Federal Train and Protect in a 158 gr LSWCHP as well. Both shoot ok.

I prefer a 6 over a 5 shot. JMO, YMMV.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top