BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 5/31/2024 10:01:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dump1567] [#1]
Just listed this S&W 640-1 5 shot .357/.38 spl. if you want something like this.  Great gun, but it doesn't fit into my carry needs.  I usually only carry 5 shots as back-ups & prefer alloy frame guns.

S&W Model 640-1 .357 J Frame $565
Link Posted: 5/31/2024 3:31:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MK318:

The longer CT laser grip. When I carry it I typically carry it OWB in a Galco pancake holster so I’m not as concerned with the grip length. My 340 I am using the little CT boot grip because it is typically my deep concealment gun so keeping it compact is more important than comfort. I know a lot of people don’t like the CT grips, I do. They have worked well for me for decades. They are great for quick point shooting.  
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/557335/IMG_7293_jpeg-3227769.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/557335/IMG_7292_jpeg-3227771.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/557335/IMG_7329_jpeg-3227773.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Geralt55:
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:
Buying a .357 allows you to use .38 Special, which in my opinion is a plus.

I challenge anyone to shoot a box of full power .357 Magnum through a 2" revolver and say they would like to do it again.

.357 Magnum rounds have a lot of power, and 2" revolvers don't absorb it very well. Nether do your hands.

.357 though my 640 Pro isn’t that bad. It being a SS j frame it’s got enough weight to it that it soaks up the recoil pretty good. My 340PD on the other hand, yeah not pleasant. I do load it with .357 125gr TAC-XPD from Barnes when I carry it though. I’ll take the pain if I need to use it the performance of the .357 round even out of a snubby can’t be argued against.

What kind of grip are you running on that 640?

The longer CT laser grip. When I carry it I typically carry it OWB in a Galco pancake holster so I’m not as concerned with the grip length. My 340 I am using the little CT boot grip because it is typically my deep concealment gun so keeping it compact is more important than comfort. I know a lot of people don’t like the CT grips, I do. They have worked well for me for decades. They are great for quick point shooting.  
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/557335/IMG_7293_jpeg-3227769.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/557335/IMG_7292_jpeg-3227771.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/557335/IMG_7329_jpeg-3227773.JPG

When I got interested in revolvers I started to find web boards with "old timers" who liked/respected the snubnose revolvers, and really began to appreciate the CT grips.
I think it makes complete sense - it's a GREAT dryfire aid, you can watch the gun move or stay put - the little snubs appreciate a nice firm grip.

And I kept seeing good comments about how well they tame recoil (relative to the gun's size/weight of course) with just the smallest amount of rubber between the frame and the hand. It goes from a "don't ever do that again" experience to "not fun but tolerable for a bit" one

I think the little CT boot grip is the best "overall" grip hands down for a J-frame.
Covers the back, good trigger finger placement, it's shockingly thin, it weighs next to nothing, you can re-zero it for a new load, and after that the laser benefits.
In a face distance "OH SHIT" scenario, it's great to know where the muzzle is at that moment.

Ever fire wadcutters out of the 340 with those grips?
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 2:10:14 AM EDT
[#3]

When I got interested in revolvers I started to find web boards with "old timers" who liked/respected the snubnose revolvers, and really began to appreciate the CT grips.
I think it makes complete sense - it's a GREAT dryfire aid, you can watch the gun move or stay put - the little snubs appreciate a nice firm grip.

And I kept seeing good comments about how well they tame recoil (relative to the gun's size/weight of course) with just the smallest amount of rubber between the frame and the hand. It goes from a "don't ever do that again" experience to "not fun but tolerable for a bit" one

I think the little CT boot grip is the best "overall" grip hands down for a J-frame.
Covers the back, good trigger finger placement, it's shockingly thin, it weighs next to nothing, you can re-zero it for a new load, and after that the laser benefits.
In a face distance "OH SHIT" scenario, it's great to know where the muzzle is at that moment.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:
Buying a .357 allows you to use .38 Special, which in my opinion is a plus.

I challenge anyone to shoot a box of full power .357 Magnum through a 2" revolver and say they would like to do it again.

.357 Magnum rounds have a lot of power, and 2" revolvers don't absorb it very well. Nether do your hands.

.357 though my 640 Pro isn’t that bad. It being a SS j frame it’s got enough weight to it that it soaks up the recoil pretty good. My 340PD on the other hand, yeah not pleasant. I do load it with .357 125gr TAC-XPD from Barnes when I carry it though. I’ll take the pain if I need to use it the performance of the .357 round even out of a snubby can’t be argued against.

What kind of grip are you running on that 640?

No, I’ve only ever fired 158gr FMJ .38s and 125gr .357 JHPs from Speer, Barnes and Buffalo. The little boot grip doesn’t do much to tame recoil from .357. It still feels like taking a sledge hammer to your hand. I did try the longer CT grip on the 340 and it was much more comfortable but like I said my 340 is for light weight deep concealment so I don’t want to give up the tiny footprint despite the hand pain.
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 5:18:22 PM EDT
[#4]
.38 followed by .32.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 11:48:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#5]
Last two I bought are .32 Smith J frames, aluminum. First J was a 442 (aluminum .38). The first .32 is much more pleasant to shoot; haven’t gotten to shoot the second, but it has much nicer grips, so it should be even more pleasant. The .38 is unpleasant, except with lightly loaded wadcutters, so I ended up putting better grips on it, which help a great deal, but now the grip is notably longer, so it doesn’t conceal as well. The upside is that it’s much more pleasant with the more potent wadcutters I carry it with.

Edit: I also have a Colt Agent, but I only got that to make a Colt fanboy friend jealous, but it’s got decent grips so it’s not bad to shoot.
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 7:16:31 AM EDT
[#6]
My favorite snubby round. LCR.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 9:17:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ewald] [#7]
I view snubs as guns driven by a specific purpose.  To me the whole purpose of a snub is size, weight, and concealability.  

I chose .38 Special for economics and ubiquity.  With the right loading, .38 Spec has been getting the job done for over a century.  A .38 will do anything a nine will do without easily bent moon clips.

A proper .357 needs some weight with a larger cylinder size.  It essentially needs a K Frame.  I am of the opinion much of the powder capacity of a 357 is wasted in a 2" barrel.  You still get .38 Spec ballistics with greater recoil.  An Air Weight 357 is a flinch factory.

.32 caliber flavors are a solid idea but the choices are limited.  They are a niche for which you will be paying a premium on guns and ammo.  I am saying this as a guy who often carries a .32 APC for deep concealment.  It took the higher rates of disposable income in the 1980s and late 2010s to make development of .32 H&R, .327 Fed, and 30 SC a thing.

Various types of .32 caliber handguns were common carry guns world wide for the first decades of the 20th Century.  Once improved metallurgy and manufacturing technics made handguns in higher pressure calibers more feasible, .38 calibers became the norm.  There is no reason a magnum in .32 caliber could not have been made in the 1930s.  The overall economic efficiency and effectiveness of .38s are what made them rise to the top.  

I used to own a Taurus 445.  It was a snub in .44 Special.  I was new to concealed carry.  At the time there had just been a federal court ruling that forced IL to adopt concealed carry.  It seemed like the ultimate in for reliability, "stopping power", and concealability.  I told myself, "It is snub-nose revolver with .45 APC ballistics!"

The frame was more of a K frame size.  The recoil was manageable.  However as I started to carry it I found the increased cylinder size defeated the purpose of a snub-nose.  It was to bulky for pocket carry.  It was to uncomfortable for IWB.  For OWB I could just as easily carry something with a longer barrel.

Shortly after I bought the 445, Sandyhook happened.  44 Special ammunition and brass became unobtanium.  More common calibers came back earlier with less of a price premium.  I learned a lot with that gun.  It is why I bought and carry a snub in .38 Spec.

Link Posted: 7/23/2024 11:15:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Ewald:
I view snubs as guns driven by a specific purpose.  To me the whole purpose of a snub is size, weight, and concealability.  

I chose .38 Special for economics and ubiquity.  With the right loading, .38 Spec has been getting the job done for over a century.  A .38 will do anything a nine will do without easily bent moon clips.

A proper .357 needs some weight with a larger cylinder size.  It essentially needs a K Frame.  I am of the opinion much of the powder capacity of a 357 is wasted in a 2" barrel.  You still get .38 Spec ballistics with greater recoil.  An Air Weight 357 is a flinch factory.

View Quote

9mm moon clips are not easily bent. 38/357 ones are.

While velocity is lower in a shorter barrel you are still way ahead of any .38 loading when shooting .357 by several hundred fps.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 12:09:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Those saying .357 = .38 velocity out of short barrels??

Come on, there is a LOT of crono data out there in 2024.
This one just popped up first, take a look please:

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/content/snubbie-ballistics-38-special-vs-357-magnum/
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 12:37:49 PM EDT
[#10]
.38spl snub nose revolver tried & true. But I do dig my .357mag 2 1/4" SP-101 as well.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 3:00:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By dump1567:
What's the gun for?

One of the best snubbies you can get these days is the Kimber K6S.  It's the size of a Colt Detective Special, holds 6 rounds of .38 spl. or .357 Mag and has an excellent trigger.

You can step-up in size to a K frame Smith, or down in size to a 5 shot J frame.  It really depends on what your use is and what size gun you want.  9mm Revolvers make an excellent choice.  They're close to .357 Mag power out of a snub, without the blast and recoil.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 3:03:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By dump1567:
What's the gun for?

One of the best snubbies you can get these days is the Kimber K6S.  It's the size of a Colt Detective Special, holds 6 rounds of .38 spl. or .357 Mag and has an excellent trigger.

You can step-up in size to a K frame Smith, or down in size to a 5 shot J frame.  It really depends on what your use is and what size gun you want.  9mm Revolvers make an excellent choice.  They're close to .357 Mag power out of a snub, without the blast and recoil.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 3:12:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I don’t care for what 357 does to my ears.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 8:03:29 PM EDT
[#14]
My only experience in the options is .38 and .357.

I've got an old Taurus 606 2" in .357 that I love. Full power loads in .357 are terrifying, holy shit.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 8:31:59 PM EDT
[#15]
44 spc bulldog
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top