Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2024 6:43:18 AM EDT
Not New to 22s just new to getting more precise.so I built one . I did notice that there’s a lot of “ precision “ ammo Available
I’ve always used ammo like CCI , federal , even Blazer in my pistols .anyways any input on Ammo like Eley, Lapua and others so called “ Precision Ammo “ ?
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 6:58:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: OTHP] [#1]
I've tried a lot of ammo in 22lr over the last 40+ years.
Pretty much everything you listed and more.
I have always went back to CCI.
Even when doing the indoor winter range comps at the gunclubs guys were winning with off the shelf or internet ordered CCI stuff.
I don't think it's magical or anything but I do think it's very consistant and that matters as much as the gun.

Someone will be along shortly to correct me with better ammo selection for  comp shooting.

Then there are the guys that sort the 22lr ammo by weight, rim thickness, OAL and probably a few other methods.
I never did that and could be a reason why I never won a match who knows.
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 7:15:39 AM EDT
[#2]
You have to find out what your barrel likes.

I agree that ,for the money,  CCI SV is pretty consistent.

But it pays to buy boxes of the better stuff just to see if the ROI is there.

SK Rifle Match has been a consistently good performer out of my precision barrels.  Lapua Midas+, Center X, Biathlon are all excellent; I'm just not shooting competitions so it's difficult for me to justify .30/rd for backyard long range shooting.
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 8:51:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 9:19:02 AM EDT
[#4]
My opinion is for general pistol competition CCI STD is fine for most guns. The ammo (in pistol) is less the critical item than the pistol and of course the shooters ability.

In rifle Standard velocity is way better than most any High Velocity . Run of the mill stuff like CCI STD , Wolf MT , SK and federal target will give decent results in your average Ruger 10/22 or CZ rifle.

When one is using a tricked out 10/22 , CZ with improved trigger,optics and match barrels along with match rifles by Ansutz or others better results will be had by the more expensive ELEY , Lapuh or other true match ammo. Results may vary greatly from gun to gun and even different lot numbers of ammo. For the most part to see the better results with the top ammo and rifles you are talking benchrest or slung rifles by a shooter with some training and experience .

Take your ELEY red box at $20+ for a 50 rd box and stuff it in your $300 factory 10/22 with the 10lb trigger and your results are going to be pretty close to CCI STD at $5 a box of 50.

Stuff both of that same ammo into a Ansutz match rifle with the 3oz trigger and the 20X scope and the ELEY will hand it to the CCI by a good margin.
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 9:48:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#5]
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 9:53:43 AM EDT
[#6]
I've found standard velocity is way more consistent and accurate than HV rounds.  Have tried SK, CCI and Laupa Match all standard velocity.  They all yield the same consistent same hole results for me.  Also have a box of Federal Auto Match that opens up to around an inch at 50yd.
CZ 457 with no modifications here.
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 9:58:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Unless you are shooting competition matches, CCI should get the job done.
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 2:59:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Any Eley. You might have to adjust the recoil springs in some pistols. I have found that Remington subsonic shoots very well in match guns. That's all you need to know.
Link Posted: Yesterday 1:31:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Advice from others is useless, even this post.

Buy a bunch of "Standard Velocity" ammo in all different price ranges.

Shoot them trying to get the best possible groups.

Pick the least expensive ammo that gives you acceptable group sizes for what you are doing.

Link Posted: Yesterday 1:37:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm doing this exercise right now. As mentioned, I'm sticking with standard velocity and staying away from high velocity.

So far, my rifle seems to like Geco Match and hates Eley Tenex. I'm trying out some other Eley and SX models soon.
CCI SV seems to be "ok".

Link Posted: Yesterday 1:39:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AeroE:
Built what?

A rifle has to be capable of discriminating the ammunition.  A "fairly accurate* rifle can't .

Once an accurate rifle is in hand, the benefit of the best expensive ammunition is absence of flyers.  I prefer Midas plus for benchrest matches shooting the ARA target.  Eley Club, Eley Target, Center-X,  CCI SV all shoot about the same, and they all come with a surprise (or more) in every box.  

Wolf and SK were so disappointing in 2009 and 2010 I stopped shooting it in a match that specified ammunition cost.  I had a bad lot of Club that cost me about 25 points in a 500 point match that was won by dropping no more than one point in nice conditions, or two points in tougher conditions.

So it all depends, and I do not care much for lot testing.

I don't believe CCI Green Tag warrants its cost.  Wolf Match was terrible and Aguila Match in the blue box was some of the worst trash, and dirtiest trash, I have fired, but they are priced at a premium over the basic ammunition.

Norma Tac 22 is fairly accurate, but it's extremely slow.

Rimfire bullseye shooters probably shoot CCI SV more than anything else, but I've seen any standard velocity ammunition and some low supersonic on the line.

View Quote
Ok, now I gotta go hunt down some Midas.

Link Posted: Yesterday 1:52:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:
What will you be doing with your rifle?
View Quote

The most fundamental question, that seems to be left out of most posts. SMH
Link Posted: Yesterday 2:08:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Where this is posted does not provide the needed context?
Link Posted: Yesterday 2:10:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top