Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2024 8:35:39 PM EDT
I noticed in recent or fairly recent times manufacturers that have traditionally built ARs are building bolt action rifles. I know there's Aero Precision and Stag Arms. There's probably others not coming to mind.

What do people knowledgeable of bolt action rifles think of these newer bolt action rifles from manufacturers that traditionally built ARs?
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 1:49:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Colt use to.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 2:58:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 3:09:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Larue has one the Siete. But it is $4299.

Link Posted: 6/4/2024 5:51:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Skg_Mre_Lght:
I just view it as AR companies trying to cash in on the Precision Rifle craze in a saturated AR market.

I haven't seen one that really sets my hair on fire, and think you can build a superior semi-custom bilt gun for the same amount of money.
View Quote

Bingo
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 11:16:50 AM EDT
[#5]
About ten years ago I was talking with an optic rep I knew. He said “you should open an AR specific store.” I told him it was 10 years too late for that. If I were going to open a firearm specific store it would be a precision rifle store. Even back then you could see the growing interest.

AR builders building bolt guns is called diversification. With bidet in office and the remote possibility of him getting another term that’s smart business. Their bolt guns may be simplistic right now but if they had to focus on manufacturing them I suspect they would produce some great guns.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 12:11:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I just view it as AR companies trying to cash in on the Precision Rifle craze in a saturated AR market.

I haven't seen one that really sets my hair on fire, and think you can build a superior semi-custom bilt gun for the same amount of money.
View Quote

Same with lever actions. You can only sell so many AR's.

Springfield hasn't been mentioned yet.

The aero has my interest, but the sig cross rifles are definitely on my list. Reviews sound pretty good.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 12:26:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By SteveJobs:

Same with lever actions. You can only sell so many AR's.

Springfield hasn't been mentioned yet.

The aero has my interest, but the sig cross rifles are definitely on my list. Reviews sound pretty good.
View Quote

I ahvent shot one but the Springfield one looks nice.

A buddy of mine has a DD bolt gun but he hasnt shot it yet, not sure how it performs.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 1:41:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I looked at building a bolt gun, but then I got a Solus Bravo from Aero for $1300 shipped. I’m happy with it for my uses.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 1:48:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I was fairly interested in the Daniel Defense Delta 5 when it was introduced but never have bit on one. (Yet)
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 8:07:38 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

Agreed - building your own provides a superior product for both bolt guns and ARs.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 11:43:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By cschaeff:
Colt use to.
View Quote

Pretty sure Cooper actually made that 1, if your talking about the chassis gun colt had 10ish years ago.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 11:57:26 AM EDT
[#12]
I've got a pva solus barreled action.  I will say they did a very good job with the action and it incorporates alot of features that are on 2x $ actions.  

Heres a few things i like: Bolt stop that relies on action mortise to provide stop, not the pin.  Bayonet fp assembly, so no tools required to break it down.  Trigger hanger that actually fits in a machined pocket, nuff said.  Aics/aw mag compatibility.  Swappable 3 lug bolt head, want to change calibers or have a galled lug/damaged bolt face, no big deal.  Dual ejectors near extractor so short cartridges like br/dasher don't get dislodged before clearing port(only thing better would be mechanical ejector like a nucleus/bighorn).  So far with 300rds and probably another 300+dryfire cycles, the action is pretty smooth and light bolt lift.  Bolt lift is lighter than AI, but not impact/defiance.  The only thing not smooth is when pushing bolt fwd, and applying down pressure on handle, you can feel the aw mag cuts on bolt stutter as it goes over aw cuts in action.  This isn't an issue when pushing bolt fwd, you have to push bolt fwd and handle down to make it noticeable.  Even then it isn't anything worse than alot of trued up 700/tikka feel.  Will I sell my ai's, nucleus, or badgers, nope.  But I'm happy with it and glad they went with a barrel tenon that let's you use origin prefits.  That really opens the door for availability.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 12:06:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Falkor has an action. It’s pretty slick. They remind me of a Defiance Deviant action, but with a bolt that appears smaller. The 3 that we’ve built on have been every bit as precise as other options, with no feeding issues.

In the complete build options;

The Aero Solus looks to be affordable with a decent barrel. Good, but probably not great by custom standards.

The DD Delta 5 Pro seems interesting, but at that price, I’d build a custom off of a Bighorn origin action.

Seekins Havak- by all accounts, a great action with a very good barrel. Glenn and team put out a great option, initially for hunters, now with more options for target shooters.

Larue Siete…it was approaching being over priced at the introductory 2899$ price. At over 4200$, I would never recommend that as an option. If you want to have a barrel swap challenge, it may be a contender. If you want a precision rifle, there are far better options that are cheaper and have a usable stock/chassis with full adjustability.

Just my thoughts
Link Posted: 6/21/2024 5:04:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Speaking of AR manufacturers making bolt guns, did Bushmaster ever release their BA30 or did that get dropped?
Link Posted: 6/21/2024 3:50:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rssc] [#15]
I have an Aero Solus Competition. I am not saying it is the equivalent to a high end custom gun but I think referring to it as another bolt gun from an AR manufacturer is too dismissive. It is a nice gun and an action that has a lot of nice features.
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 12:40:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Love my Sig Cross in 308 and Armalite AR-30 300 Win mag. Couple of the most accurate best shooting rifles I've seen.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 12:10:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheWhiteHorse] [#17]
Double T
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 12:16:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:
Falkor has an action. It’s pretty slick. They remind me of a Defiance Deviant action, but with a bolt that appears smaller. The 3 that we’ve built on have been every bit as precise as other options, with no feeding issues.

In the complete build options;

The Aero Solus looks to be affordable with a decent barrel. Good, but probably not great by custom standards.

The DD Delta 5 Pro seems interesting, but at that price, I’d build a custom off of a Bighorn origin action.

Seekins Havak- by all accounts, a great action with a very good barrel. Glenn and team put out a great option, initially for hunters, now with more options for target shooters.

Larue Siete…it was approaching being over priced at the introductory 2899$ price. At over 4200$, I would never recommend that as an option. If you want to have a barrel swap challenge, it may be a contender. If you want a precision rifle, there are far better options that are cheaper and have a usable stock/chassis with full adjustability.

Just my thoughts
View Quote

I have a Falkor 7EVEN action and it’s incredible.

Just remember with the Delta 5 Pro… you get free replacement barrels for life. I burnt out my 6.5 barrel and called them about buying a new one, they told me it was a warranted part and to send it in and they’ll throw a new one on at no charge. You can’t beat that, and it shoots really really well. It would be very hard to build a gun on an origin with that nice of a chassis for under the MSRP.
Top Top