Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2024 11:27:32 PM EDT
I just got one of these and it came with a Magpul 10rd Pmag.  I bought a couple of spares.  

But, can you get a shorter 5 round mag that seats a little closer to flush with the rifle?

The other question is, can you get a chassis for this rifle that takes the Pmags or do all of the chassis use the (ADI?) mags?
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 12:27:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Thermold and ProMag make flush fitting 5 & 10 rounders for the AR magwell.  Still going to be proud on the Ruger.

Magnetospeed made a 3 rounder that would be higher than flush, will have to find those on eBay or GunBroker.

You could chop the ProMag w/ a Dremel and make it flush, it's steel.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 1:01:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Urimaginaryfrnd] [#2]
MDT runs AI style mags the up side to the .223 AI style mag is that it will load 80 gr .223 loads that an AR mag will not. I suggest you just get comfortable with it in the configuration it is and if you want to jump into a custom Chassis running AI style mags do that with a heavier caliber and possibly a Tikka stainless…

P.S the Ruger American bolt will rust up quicker than than about any firearm part ever made if it’s anywhere damp. They are not a rifle you want to add money to.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 6:07:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Jambalaya:
I just got one of these and it came with a Magpul 10rd Pmag.  I bought a couple of spares.  

But, can you get a shorter 5 round mag that seats a little closer to flush with the rifle?

The other question is, can you get a chassis for this rifle that takes the Pmags or do all of the chassis use the (ADI?) mags?
View Quote

If you do want a chassis for your American, MDT does make the LSS-XL chassis for the Ruger American .223 using STANAG magazines, Indian Creek Designs does (or did) as well.  There's also the Magpul Hunter STANAG stock available.

My Ruger Ranch 5.56 in the MDT chassis:

Link Posted: 9/8/2024 10:58:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Urimaginaryfrnd:
MDT runs AI style mags the up side to the .223 AI style mag is that it will load 80 gr .223 loads that an AR mag will not. I suggest you just get comfortable with it in the configuration it is and if you want to jump into a custom Chassis running AI style mags do that with a heavier caliber and possibly a Tikka stainless

P.S the Ruger American bolt will rust up quicker than than about any firearm part ever made if it's anywhere damp. They are not a rifle you want to add money to.
View Quote

Haha that's good to know!  I live out west and the humidity is usually very low so no worries there, but I'll keep an eye on it.

And maybe also think about a higher end rifle when I move up to 6.5 Creedmore.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 10:59:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DarkStar:

If you do want a chassis for your American, MDT does make the LSS-XL chassis for the Ruger American .223 using STANAG magazines, Indian Creek Designs does (or did) as well.  There's also the Magpul Hunter STANAG stock available.

My Ruger Ranch 5.56 in the MDT chassis:

https://i.imgur.com/niyVfz7.jpg

View Quote

I'm a fan of the MDT stuff.  I bought an MDT chassis for my little Savage .22lr and it's been lots of fun.
Top Top