Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2024 10:05:37 AM EDT
So im one who prefers wood stocks on my rifles. And yes I know synthetic may have some advantages over it.
Now Iv been hunting and shooting the 30-06 my whole life, I find the recoil just the right amount for me.
My question is, I bought a Ruger scout rifle with a laminate stock, mainly because I liked the look and feel of it.
So last year I had to have my win 70 restocked because of some growing cracks both behind the recil lug and the rear tang area.
Would it help at all to get this new rifle glass and pillar bedded to make a perfect mated fit?.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 12:47:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 5:40:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By m47181:
So im one who prefers wood stocks on my rifles. And yes I know synthetic may have some advantages over it.
Now Iv been hunting and shooting the 30-06 my whole life, I find the recoil just the right amount for me.
My question is, I bought a Ruger scout rifle with a laminate stock, mainly because I liked the look and feel of it.
So last year I had to have my win 70 restocked because of some growing cracks both behind the recil lug and the rear tang area.
Would it help at all to get this new rifle glass and pillar bedded to make a perfect mated fit?.
View Quote

If done properly, in the worst case it won't hurt anything.  Best case it may improve accuracy and longevity.

For example with your M70, cracks in the recoil lug area are typically from loose/improper fit and/or compression from the front action screw.  Both of those are non-issues with a proper pillar bed job.  The cracks in the tang usually happen after the recoil bed is damaged because all of the recoil is being transferred to the stock via the rear action screw.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top