Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2024 7:16:45 AM EDT
I have a Remington 700 short action 300BO rifle.  The stock is too long for the thermal and I need to move it to the rear about 1.5" to have proper eye relief and to use the eyepiece shutter after replacing an old FLIR unit I had on it.

Right now, it is wearing a standard generic rail that runs the length of the action and is a touch low for cycling too.  I could always buy a taller rail but, that would not let the eye shutter work.  I am trying to avoid buying a new stock for it to solve the "eye relief" problem.

TIA!  Sid
Link Posted: 9/21/2024 12:26:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/21/2024 3:37:58 PM EDT
[#2]
There’s simply no way to do it. A rear extended rail blocks the bolt handle so you wouldn’t be able to cycle it.

Thermal scopes are not designed or intended to go on a bolt gun so you end up with some half ass fuckery one way or another trying to rig it up.

An AR platform is a much better host for a sight like that. Or get a thermal clip on.
Link Posted: 9/22/2024 10:26:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Is it taller or able to shorten the eye relief?  Looks like a standard high quality rail though.
Link Posted: 9/22/2024 10:36:59 PM EDT
[#4]
It fits and works fine on a 300BO bolt action but, it is set forward to clear the bolt throw between the throw levers on its mount so, it is about 1 1/2 inches too far forward.  The bolt action works well for its intended purpose but, that thermal isn't designed for a standard height rail.  If it was taller to clear the QD throw levers, it could be set farther back at the expense of a height over bore increase.  Additional HOB isn't ideal but, for single shots or limited rapid fire, and is easy enough to deal with at known distances.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top