Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2024 3:51:22 PM EDT
Is it possible to convert a standard factory Savage 110 bolt to use an AR10 extractor?  I realize it would require some machining but just wondering if it's possible. If it is possible, anyone know who could do such a thing?
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 4:42:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: number40Fan] [#1]
I'd say no because the extractor on a Savage is in one of the bolt lugs.  Removing that to use an AR style extractor could be dangerous.
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 8:14:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/20/2024 7:37:02 AM EDT
[#3]
A good question from Rob01. I have read that Savage 110's have a weak extraction problem. While I have not personally experienced such a problem, it did start my thinking process. (not that, that process isn't a bit suspect)
Link Posted: 9/20/2024 8:25:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/20/2024 8:29:55 AM EDT
[#5]
There are good aftermarket extractors out there if there are issues.  Can't see the purpose.  What would you be trying to accomplish?
Link Posted: 9/20/2024 8:33:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RamblinRick:
A good question from Rob01. I have read that Savage 110's have a weak extraction problem. While I have not personally experienced such a problem, it did start my thinking process. (not that, that process isn't a bit suspect)
View Quote

Kinney’s Shooting Supply sells an extractor/ejector enhancement kit that works really well to fix that. The only issue is that their ejector has to have a bevel put on it sometimes but that’s easy to do.  Other than that it works great.
Link Posted: 9/20/2024 9:23:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bluealtered] [#7]
After roughly five decades of shooting Savages, I have only encountered three extractor problems and these were with only two different rifles during that time.

1- Buying a used rifle that had a brass build-up under the extractor claw to the point of not letting the claw pick up enough of the round to eject it.
2- The wrong ball bearing was installed from the factory, the fix was simply using the next size bearing, that problem was fixed by the factory as soon as they realized it.
3- People just not cleaning the extractor system while cleaning the rifle.

I have not encountered the weak extractor spring that I have seen reports of.
Link Posted: 9/20/2024 9:25:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bluealtered] [#8]
After roughly five decades of shooting Savages, I have only encountered three extractor problems and these were with only two different rifles during that time.

1- Buying a used rifle that had a brass build-up under the extractor to the point of not letting the claw pick up enough of the round to eject it.
2- The wrong ball bearing was installed from the factory, the fix was simply using the next size bearing, that problem was fixed by the factory as soon as they realized it.

I have not encountered the weak extractor spring that I have seen reports of. I believe that was caused by the wrong bearing from the factory.
Link Posted: 9/20/2024 9:56:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bluealtered:

1- Buying a used rifle that had a brass build-up under the extractor to the point of not letting the claw pick up enough of the round to eject it.

I have not encountered the weak extractor spring that I have seen reports of. I believe that was caused by the wrong bearing from the factory.
View Quote

Out of my three Savages I have one that had this problem. Wrong sized ball bearing maybe but either way that enhancement kit I mentioned above fixed that issue.
Link Posted: 9/20/2024 2:14:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Thank you to all that have replied. I actually have the extractor replacement kit from Kinney Supply. I haven't needed it but, just in case. Anyway, I had that thought and decided to ask. Great advice from everyone. Thanks Guys.
Top Top