Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2024 10:03:15 PM EDT
Getting into casual long range shooting(1000 yard steel). I am considering the mentioned rifles above in 300 win mag . I am leaning towards the tikka. I saw videos of the Savage having feed issues and was wondering if anyone had solid use of either rifles . Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 7:46:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Firestarter123] [#1]
Tikka all day every day.

There’s nothing better about a Savage than a Tikka other than it probably being cheaper…which it should be.

ETA: For 1000yds you could also just get a Tikka CTR in 6.5CM and do very well.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 8:14:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Tikka.  Best out of the box trigger available.

I’ve had a few savage rifles over the years.  All great shooters but you either like the accu-trigger or you don’t, and I just never really cared for it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 9:22:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 1:34:48 PM EDT
[#4]
$1600.  Im going to use it for hunting as well . I sold my older T3.  Hence the 300 magnum over the creedmore. I reload so ammo cost is not a huge issue for me . As for a 223 for long range I was dissapointed at 300 . I have considered the creedmore but from what I gather its a poor game round .
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:18:28 PM EDT
[#5]
As to recoil for the 300 Win mag, I wouldn’t worry about that at all. My first .308 magnum was the 300 Dakota, which I still love (slightly faster than 300WM for all bullet weights). The 500 Jeffery did get my attention, so recoil is real.

If you’re going to do a long range session with a magnum cartridge set things up for your comfort. Ear plugs AND headphones. Get yourself a shooting vest made for mitigating recoil: it has a plastic panel sewn in where the butt meets your shoulder which spreads the recoil impulse. Put a small sandbag between the butt and your shoulder. The more you shoot it the easier it gets.

After shooting large bore cartridges for years, another hunter let me shoot his 458 Win mag, with the warning “it really kicks”. It was a pussy cat compared to my 404 Jeffery handloads.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:45:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:50:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:

A poor game round? What are you hunting? This is a bull elk my buddy took at 750 yards with his 6.5 Creedmoor. Watch who you listen to as far as Creedmoor info as a lot of haters who say things just to talk down the round. Look at the facts as in energy and velocity.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/19859/IMG_1520-1255557.png

As for cost, if you are happy with the cost then have at it with the magnum. As I have mentioned I have seen way too many people getting into long range go magnum and then barely shoot the rifle. Not only because of cost. Recoil is not bad with a brake but that's a personal thing. It's just the combination of everything being more than is needed for most people. I shot the 300WM in matches for years and wasn't worried about its recoil but I have no magnums now as they aren't really needed for my uses and unless you need to drop bears it might be overdoing it for hunting also. Just giving you something to think about before spending your money. Don't want you to have to work too many OT shifts to pay for it and this is from a retired FF/EMT/HazMat Tech

And if you weren't happy with the .223 at 300 yards then you were shooting the wrong bullet.
View Quote
I got smart and while I worked the ambulance I married an NP.  Gives me play money.I have not excluded the creedmore yet.Does anyone think the savage even holds a candle to the tikka?
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:58:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Another Tikka voter here. Have a CTR in 308 and Super Varmint in 6.5 PRC. Both are sub 1/2 moa. Europtic seems to always have the best price.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 3:12:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top