Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2024 11:25:23 AM EDT
maybe this is simpler than I am thinking.
If my closest range is only 50 yards and I have the calculator for settings out to 550, but don't get to practice at the match, is there some calculator that tells me how high I should be hitting at 50 yards for the drops out to 550?

I was pretty close last time, but read the chart wrong or whatever and had a huge hold over when it should have only been 2.
so rather than guess I would rather get closer than the chart shows by checking if this way is even possible.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 11:31:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Have you tried something like this?

https://shooterscalculator.com/ballistic-trajectory-chart.php

There are others on line, too.  I used to use RemShoot, but it looks like it's gone.

Link Posted: 6/15/2024 11:49:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#2]
I like JBM Ballistics.  It's also free.

This is an excerpt from a larger table which contains drop, drift, etc.

Link Posted: 6/15/2024 12:31:59 PM EDT
[#3]
those drops seem excessive. but let me ask it another way.
if I zero at 50, and dial my scope in for 100, I should hit 6 inches high?

so if the chart is accurate I need a 60 foot tall target to show how high I would hit at 600 yards?

am I reading that right?
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 1:17:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: coyotesilencer] [#4]
You are not going to he hitting high at 550yds, you will be low. 57-60ft low without adjustments. And 120 MOA is only 5 feet at 50yds. So set the scope to hit 5 feet high at 50yds to be close to a 550yd zero according to that chart. 22 rim fires drop a lot at range.

The charts help but they are only as accurate as the data you enter into them. Need to know velocity, B.C. , HOB, Etc.

Your example of zeroing at 50, then adjusting scope for 100. The chart says 7.6MOA, which is close for standard velocity .22lr. You don't adjust the scope to hit 7.6 inches high at 50, you adjust the scope 7.6 MOA high at 50 which is 3.8 inches.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 1:35:56 PM EDT
[#5]
sorry, clearly reading this wrong.
the 7.6 moa sure, but you say 3.8 inches but that chart says 8 inches.
how do you get 3.8?
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 4:06:16 PM EDT
[#6]
7.6 MOA, which is just under 8" at 100yds. True MOA is slightly bigger than 1 inch at 100yds but its common to just call it 1 inch.

Your scope probably adjusts in MOA, but maybe its MILs. The turrets should say something like 1/8 MOA or 1/4MOA on them. The chart says from 50 yd zero it needs 7.6MOA of Come-Up to be zeroed at 100yds. Simply dial the turret UP 7.6 MOA, however many clicks you're scope takes. Then you should be on at 100yds according to that chart. After dialing the scope for 100yds you will now hit 7.6MOA high at 50yds. 7.6MOA is approximately 3.8 inches at 50yds, half of what it is at 100yds.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 4:39:05 PM EDT
[#7]
For my smallbore rifle, I would need to be 47 inches high at 50 yards to hit at 500.

Most scopes and bases will not provide enough elevation to get there. People around here are using special rigs for 300 yard rimfire long gong.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 1:05:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#8]
I provided the table to show you what data JBM Ballistics can provide.

I provided a link to the JBM web site so you can "play" with the trajectory calculator.  You can do all the "what if's" that you'd like.

Go to the site and run the case for a zero at 550 yards and see how high it hits at 50 yards.  I left this for you to do.

Link Posted: 6/16/2024 1:14:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Andrewh:
those drops seem excessive. but let me ask it another way.
if I zero at 50, and dial my scope in for 100, I should hit 6 inches high?

so if the chart is accurate I need a 60 foot tall target to show how high I would hit at 600 yards?

am I reading that right?
View Quote
No,

According to that chart, the drop at 550yds is 120 MOA.  So to get a 550yd POA=POI zero that you test at 50yds, you'd want to hit 120 MOA high at 50yrds.  120 MOA @ 50yds is about 60 inches, so if you impact about 60 inches high at 50, then you'd be about zeroed for 550 yds (based on the data used for that table).

That's not taking into account wind and other variables, which will cause havoc on .22lr at those ranges.  Smallbore out past 300 yrds or so becomes a very challenging game.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 5:28:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#10]
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:
I provided the table to show you what data JBM Ballistics can provide.

I provided a link to the JBM web site so you can "play" with the trajectory calculator.  You can do all the "what if's" that you'd like.

Go to the site and run the case for a zero at 550 yards and see how high it hits at 50 yards.  I left this for you to do.
View Quote

Here's the 550 yard case.  You really need to run it yourself, as temperatures, ammo, sight height, humidity, etc all affect the results.

You'll also want to look at and play with the wind drift numbers, especially at extended ranges.  Uneven winds, fishtailing winds and wind changes of any type are challenging enough at 200 or 300 yards.  At 550 yards, they will dominate all other effects.  For example, at 550 yards, if you misjudge the effect of the wind by 3 mph, you will be off center by 30".
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 5:13:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks, I think I get it now on how to calculate.

yeah, wind does play havoc.
I borrowed a rifle last time and the guy had the dope card for it.
was spot on for the elevation dial in.
in the morning it was fine, as it got warmer, the wind started kicking stuff around.
very challenging at that distance. one min you are holding over 5 mil and missing off the right edge, next shot you hit the target on the left.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 4:38:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Strelok Pro app is the best i've used.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 5:20:06 PM EDT
[#13]
so it will be OK for the cars to park on the 300 yd line, just have all the windows open so you can sight thru them.

just an aside, If memory serves, at out 600 yd range, black powder guns were not allowed to shoot from farther back than the 200 yd line due to the plunging bullet path making it dangerous for pit crews.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 5:56:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By gotigers:
View Quote

It was... I don't think you can download it anymore.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 6:56:02 PM EDT
[#15]
With a rimfire if you are trying to hit accurately at 500 yards I think you need to practice at 500 yards. I get what thinking but there are too many factors that change over that other 450 yards that matter a lot.

I’ve got a bench on my front lawn that has steel out to 900yd so it’s easy for me to shoot at distance.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 1:30:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By TODD-67:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TODD-67:
Originally Posted By gotigers:

This. You can get strelok and side load it though and strelok is still pretty damn good
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 2:16:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By harrymank:
With a rimfire if you are trying to hit accurately at 500 yards I think you need to practice at 500 yards. I get what thinking but there are too many factors that change over that other 450 yards that matter a lot.
View Quote

Clearly and absolutely true.

Still, if you want to be even half way close at 550 yards, having a rational amount of drop dialed in will help.

It is unlikely to be the correct amount of drop, and the wind will be the determining factor, but better to start somewhere in the ballpark.

It is going to be difficult (impossible?) to see bullet strikes on or off the target unless they kick up some dirt.

Link Posted: 7/3/2024 3:10:10 PM EDT
[#18]
yeah, I wish I had a range off my porch to plink off of.
but yeah this was more to see if the mil adjustments were close, so when I do get to the longer range I can get in the ball park and take notes.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 9:48:02 AM EDT
[#19]
yeah, I wish I had a range off my porch to plink off of.
but yeah this was more to see if the mil adjustments were close, so when I do get to the longer range I can get in the ball park and take notes.
View Quote

The furthest I have taken 22LR is 300, but same concepts apply. What I have learned the hard way is even if you do live practice zero at the actual distance, with the limited ballistics of 22LR data obtained for example at 2000 feet above sea level, in 30% humidity and 70 degrees Fahrenheit will change drastically when the weather variables change.

I did some practice and thought I had some rock solid data obtained in cooler weather that was way off in hot weather.
Link Posted: 8/6/2024 11:33:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks, I think I get it now on how to calculate.

yeah, wind does play havoc.
I borrowed a rifle last time and the guy had the dope card for it.
was spot on for the elevation dial in.
in the morning it was fine, as it got warmer, the wind started kicking stuff around.
very challenging at that distance. one min you are holding over 5 mil and missing off the right edge, next shot you hit the target on the left.
View Quote

This is the reality as the day warms up the soup of air and humidity moves and boils.

Yesterday I was playing with a new scope, Bushnell Pro ED, and by noon the wind was widening groups.  My hundred yard target, a 10 target 50 foot small bore target, started out fine on the first group but got more loose as the day went on.  Everything but the foulers were sub moa.  My new batch of SK Rifle Match was a little roughed up by the shipper.  Two rounds in the corner of the brick were affected.  One was loose with the bullet bent and it’s neighbor was just loose.  I straighten the bent over bulletproof easily and fired them in the fouler group.  The fouling group was 1.125”.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top