WE WANT THE MASADA!
WE WANT THE MASADA!
WE WANT THE MASADA!
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:08:13 AM EDT
[#3]
What the guy w/ the pink crocs said....
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:04:56 AM EDT
[#4]
When are these expected to hit the market? Is there anyone currently taking orders and/or pre-orders? Sure we could get a list for one heck of a group purchase!!!
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:06:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Masada Technote

Looking through this technote I can't tell if the barrel trunion mount is made of steel or aluminum. There is a section that says it's steel and then going down the checklist it says it's aluminum.

What is it

And did the XM8 really have a plastic trunion mount?  
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:07:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:25:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The HK trunion was molded into the plastic of the upper receiver, this is the part that cracked when overheated.

That's BS.
They melted too.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 9:26:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Masada Technote

Looking through this technote I can't tell if the barrel trunion mount is made of steel or aluminum. There is a section that says it's steel and then going down the checklist it says it's aluminum.

What is it

The trunion itself (the part with the threads) is steel. The mount (how it is held into the gun) is the 7000 series ALU of the upper receiver. The HK trunion was molded into the plastic of the upper receiver, this is the part that cracked when overheated.

Confused no more.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 9:30:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Masada Technote

What is it

The trunion itself (the part with the threads) is steel. The mount (how it is held into the gun) is the 7000 series ALU of the upper receiver. The HK trunion was molded into the plastic of the upper receiver, this is the part that cracked when overheated.

You answered his, how bout mine?  

Is there a plan to offer a set up with all 3 stocks, all 3 forearms, and the different barrel lengths in one package?
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 9:34:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 11:11:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
A decision reference you Q has not been determined as of yet.  More than likely there won't be a package deal but we can't confirm yet.  

It is worth considering. Especially for those serious enough to invest in the Masada to such a point.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:08:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:10:21 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
A decision reference you Q has not been determined as of yet.  More than likely there won't be a package deal but we can't confirm yet.  

It is worth considering. Especially for those serious enough to invest in the Masada to such a point.

Copy that.  We'll talk about it in the coming weeks.

At least one with the PRS stock, and the adjustable, and the 14.5/16 and then the 18 inch barrel.  I'd drop the extra money, especially if it all came in a cool case.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:47:10 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

At least one with the PRS stock, and the adjustable, and the 14.5/16 and then the 18 inch barrel.  I'd drop the extra money, especially if it all came in a cool case.

Personally I'd be more interested in just buying ala carte... or at least sans barrel so that I could use existing and/or custom barrels.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:56:44 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Personally I'd be more interested in just buying ala carte... or at least sans barrel so that I could use existing and/or custom barrels.  
It's arfcom. Get both

Basic versions of it, and you can have a kit seperately.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 9:12:25 AM EDT
[#16]
I'll start getting picky once it's released.  Until then...I'll take whatever one they offer
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:17:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:30:18 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
G&A cover story on the Masada

Saw that on the rack at Wally's World last night.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:40:42 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
G&A cover story on the Masada

Let me guess. They liked it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:09:34 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I wish they'd named it something else...hell, "JONESTOWN" would have been about the same.

Simplistic Thinking...

I posted why we named it the way we did in the industry section but here it is again.

The Masada rifle was a risky move for us so we decided it could not be a "safe" name like X234 or USA#1

The battle of Masada was where the Roman X Legion laid siege to the Jews in 72 AD. The fortress stood on top of a plateau and had a secure source of fresh water. Because of this, the Romans were forced to build a ramp to allow their formations to advance up to the fortress without breaking ranks. When the ramp was nearly complete, the Jewish defenders decided to end their existence rather than become the inevitable slaves of the Roman Empire. The citizens of Masada left their food out in plain sight to show the Romans that they were in no danger starving and through this act of defiance they have defined the nature of controlling one’s own destiny.

Many said we should have named it "the Spartan" or "Thermopylae" if we wanted a desperate battle. But that too is a safe choice. As much as I love the story of the 300 Spartans the power of the Masada story has always held me more.

The Spartans were trained and prepared to die as a symbol of the way they lived. Their families were safe from the harm of that battle. All of them went into battle knowing they had sons to carry on their fight and their bloodline.

I too stood on the embark line, armed and ready for the unknown (during Desert Storm) and at that moment I was surprised to find I wouldn't have chosen to be any other place. I was ready to die if that was what fate had for me that day.

The defenders of Masada were different. They had families, women and children. Even a fantastic fight to the death would hardly be noticed by history. It would be just another Roman massacre like many previous and to follow.

It was a cool calculated choice to deny the enemy any victory and was their only option to make their deaths stand for something.

They even processed their deaths so only one person would have to actually commit suicide (which is a sin under their faith).

Now I have children I can truly understand the strength of those people in the story. I know I can march to my death for a cause but to this day I hope I never have to find out if I am strong enough to achieve victory at the price the people at Masada paid.

I hope this explanation makes a little more sense to everyone. Trust us we did not choose the name lightly.

Edited to add:

Other aspects of story of the Masada also play into the name.

The full story was written down by Josephus, a Jew and failed general, who at the time had surrendered to the Romans. The fortress is there as is the ramp and Roman garrison buildings. Even the name of the last seven scrawled on pottery remain but only a handful of skeletal remains were found not the hundreds described in the story. The Romans could have removed the bodies but no record of the siege exists in the Roman texts (despite the fact the Garrison and massive man-made ramp exists).

It has been said that Josephus, might have made up the end the story as propaganda to persuade the rest of the Jews to “submit” to Roman rule. If so it had the opposite effect and the Masada has been a rallying story of defiance ever since.

It is like when the Communist Party started showing the US movie “The Grapes of Wrath” to the peasants in the old CCCP in order to illustrate the depression in America. Yet they had to pull the movie as the all peasants could comment on was the fact that, “In America, even the poor have cars!”

We love the anti propaganda message of this.

Another more obvious lesson of the Masada is that wars with small arms will be won in the streets. Fortresses, no matter how big or strong will fall with a determined enemy. To win you must be fluid, invisible and in the fight- not in a bunker waiting for “your chance” to face the enemy.

I'm sorry you keep having to repeat yourself, but I'm glad you did.  Off to do some reading.

Thank you!
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 3:58:50 PM EDT
[#21]
vaperware like the shrike?!  
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 4:38:55 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's arfcom. Get both
Basic versions of it, and you can have a kit seperately.

I'm really hoping the AK mag lower is available... 5.45 with cheap mags would be outstanding.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 9:48:02 PM EDT
[#23]
waiting for 08... are we there yet?
Link Posted: 10/13/2007 1:54:08 PM EDT
[#24]
I was re-reading some posts on a different forum and found this video which most of you have seen already, but did you notice what the spotter said.  He introduces the gun name and company and at the end he says "I know what I want in my stocking this year".

A person testing a magpul product for the company or perhaps an employee.  Wonder if he knows something we dont about release date?  Just a thought.  Bill

Heres the vid:            http://youtube.com/watch?v=MTnlNyhuO_U
Link Posted: 10/13/2007 4:16:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/13/2007 4:28:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/13/2007 4:42:28 PM EDT
[#27]
A magpul pmag in every outgoing box, or are you referring to the rubber pull thing that stretches around the bottom of magazines?
Link Posted: 10/13/2007 6:54:11 PM EDT
[#28]
It's funny because I never really cared for the original magpul. Every product after that though is great. I'm a big fan of the trigger guard as I would always rest my finger on the guard and actually cut it once on a stock guard that had quite an edge to it.

My stable of long arms will only consist of AR's and at least one Masada.

yak
Link Posted: 10/15/2007 6:12:12 AM EDT
[#29]
You know with something as customizable as the MASADA you or one of the high end retailers you work closely with might want to copy the "Build you own" feature you see on most car web sites. Pick color. Pick lower. Pick barrel length. Pick hand guard. Pick stock. Options (good place to add optics, BUIS and also to add those extra barrels and stock and other Gucci items.) Then the last section would begin the send money process. "You send us the money and a FFL and we'll send you the weapon"

And you got to have a picture of the MASADA that changes according to your choices. Just like that cool Audi S4 that I build but will never buy.

Anyways thats just my 2 cents. I'll buy either way.
Link Posted: 10/15/2007 7:01:25 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
You know with something as customizable as the MASADA you or one of the high end retailers you work closely with might want to copy the "Build you own" feature you see on most car web sites. Pick color. Pick lower. Pick barrel length. Pick hand guard. Pick stock. Options (good place to add optics, BUIS and also to add those extra barrels and stock and other Gucci items.) Then the last section would begin the send money process. "You send us the money and a FFL and we'll send you the weapon"

And you got to have a picture of the MASADA that changes according to your choices. Just like that cool Audi S4 that I build but will never buy.

That would be sweet.  (yup this is the thread!)
Link Posted: 10/15/2007 12:52:57 PM EDT
[#31]
That would be cool.  I have often thought about this exact same idea only with AR's and their accessories.  It would be really cool for people to be able to build their dream gun with parts from all different manufacturers.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/15/2007 1:02:03 PM EDT
[#32]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
waiting for 08... are we there yet?

LaRue Tactical has pre-purchased the first 200 units to come off the line.
I'm lying, and you guys are so  easy.  However,

ML

Wait a sec... I just ordered my QD LT-104 last week friday or so...

Just wondering... what free thing am I getting??? :)
Link Posted: 10/15/2007 1:03:05 PM EDT
[#33]
I thought about ARF on the review by G&A when they mentioned the gas system.   "when you have neglected cleaning and the zombies are almost upon you"  
Link Posted: 10/15/2007 7:46:18 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
That would be cool.  I have often thought about this exact same idea only with AR's and their accessories.  It would be really cool for people to be able to build their dream gun with parts from all different manufacturers.

Quoted:

I'm thinkin if J-Bo had some time (JBowles) he could maybe whip something up for Magpul.  I think it's a damn good idea.
Link Posted: 10/15/2007 7:50:17 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm thinkin if J-Bo had some time (JBowles) he could maybe whip something up for Magpul.  I think it's a damn good idea.

I was thinking about it, but my Flash skills are non existent and my illustrator skills would need some honing.

I have wanted to do it for ARs but Never have had time to pick up the skills necessary to do it, Maybe over winter break I can work something up

I'd like to see it, But i won't/cant do it
Link Posted: 10/16/2007 4:08:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Yeah I think the customized rifle interface would be the way to go as they way to order these things.  I think that a "paper doll" style photo based platform would be ideal.  Build it in Flash ... my flash skills are about 5 year out of date but the idea remains the same.  The other way to do this would be to have photos of every possible combination pre-shot and when the user click a certain feature the photo up dates.  

Yeah too, thought this would work with ARs too but it would only be feasible for a retailer rather than a manufacturer, due to the abundance of aftermarket parts.  

In the end, we guys are visually stimulated.  I want to see a pic of exactly what I'm buying ... just to be sure.
Link Posted: 10/16/2007 9:08:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Jeremy...just that right there is better than any of us could do
Link Posted: 10/17/2007 2:03:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Any new news on the Masada?
Link Posted: 10/17/2007 7:05:22 AM EDT
[#39]
although i love magpul's products i wasn't too excited about the masada but after reading the gna article i have to know: "where do i sign up?"

i wonder how outrageously high the "gun show prices" will be

Quoted:
*snip*

that's a great idea but flash is a bitch. the money it would take to pay someone to write it would counter the cool factor imo. adobe flash is way more complicated than one would think.

ap
Link Posted: 10/17/2007 11:26:16 PM EDT
[#40]
It is a good idea in theory, but from a business point of view, unless the company has some1 that can do the flash for free, it wont be worth it. They simply wont sell very many MORE Masada's than they would have without the fancy custom tool. The taking of multiple pictures aint gonna cut it, can you imagine how many combinations you would have after 4 barrels, a couple stocks, couple grips, optics, BUIS, Bipods, front grips. It would be a ridiculous number of combinations and is not feasible.
Link Posted: 10/18/2007 2:36:28 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
It is a good idea in theory, but from a business point of view, unless the company has some1 that can do the flash for free, it wont be worth it. They simply wont sell very many MORE Masada's than they would have without the fancy custom tool. The taking of multiple pictures aint gonna cut it, can you imagine how many combinations you would have after 4 barrels, a couple stocks, couple grips, optics, BUIS, Bipods, front grips. It would be a ridiculous number of combinations and is not feasible.

3 colors, 4 barrels, two different stocks, without optics, or one of two different optics, with or without iron sights, with or without bipod, and with or without front grip is less than 600 pics.

I'm not a big flash expert but I know the pictures could be done, and with all the colors done at the same time so you see all three rifles with whatever option set: 192 pics. You can easily fit that in 256mb with plently of resolution.
Link Posted: 10/18/2007 8:31:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/18/2007 9:11:26 AM EDT
[#43]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
Looks like a serious competitor to the new SIG rifle. I'm gonna need a boatload of $$ to buy these:

SIG 556
Masada
STG 556

Saw a Sig 556 at the gun show yesterday..looked like CRAP

It's what's inside that counts guys....You can put trendy cloths and fancy finish on Rosie O'Donnell but she's still a fat pig. Sig550 and 556 are very well thought out from the inside.  Isn't that what matters most?

Rotating, two lug bolt a big plus for the Sig.
Link Posted: 10/18/2007 11:45:08 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
3 colors, 4 barrels, two different stocks, without optics, or one of two different optics, with or without iron sights, with or without bipod, and with or without front grip is less than 600 pics.

I'm not a big flash expert but I know the pictures could be done, and with all the colors done at the same time so you see all three rifles with whatever option set: 192 pics. You can easily fit that in 256mb with plently of resolution.

Four colors, four barrels per caliber, *four stocks

* there will be a fixed and a non folding collapsable eventually.  No other info.

Thats why you would use flash, just have each part in each color and the put them together within the flash program too create a complete rifle
Link Posted: 10/20/2007 8:19:33 PM EDT
[#45]
I've liked the Masada since I saw the first pictures of it.  I'm hoping I can get one before the Dems bring back the AWB.  Forget the SCAR, this is the thing I want.

But, I think people here are trying to make this process impossible.  Custom ordering something to the level indicated here might work with 1911s, but the people "building" them aren't actually fabricating the raw materials.  

This kind of Burger King approach isn't healthy for most companies.  It's failed with cars, bikes, and electronics.  

Let Magpul make one or two different models and put them out there at a competitive price.  If successful enough, the after market will take care of the details.  A 5.56, maybe a 6.x, 16", maybe a 20", something shorter and full auto if the government sales are there.

A color change should be easy for a company like Magpul, but let them make the right financial decision so that we can see this thing succeed.
Link Posted: 10/21/2007 12:50:00 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I've liked the Masada since I saw the first pictures of it.  I'm hoping I can get one before the Dems bring back the AWB.  Forget the SCAR, this is the thing I want.

But, I think people here are trying to make this process impossible.  Custom ordering something to the level indicated here might work with 1911s, but the people "building" them aren't actually fabricating the raw materials.  

This kind of Burger King approach isn't healthy for most companies.  It's failed with cars, bikes, and electronics.  

Let Magpul make one or two different models and put them out there at a competitive price.  If successful enough, the after market will take care of the details.  A 5.56, maybe a 6.x, 16", maybe a 20", something shorter and full auto if the government sales are there.

A color change should be easy for a company like Magpul, but let them make the right financial decision so that we can see this thing succeed.

Pftt. Since when?

Car manufactures have been doing it for years with GREAT success. So have electronics. Hence the reason you'd be hard pressed to find one major manufacture in the car industry who does not have a "Build Your Own" feature via their website.

Out of the gate, it would an excellent capability surrounding their weapon system to do just that....Build Your Own.
Link Posted: 10/21/2007 4:04:26 AM EDT
[#47]
Ever order a computer online, from, say, Dell?

Seems to work for them!

Link Posted: 10/21/2007 12:31:15 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
My buddy is in Orlando...he saided he got to finger it.....nice!!   sig 55 what??  

Pre-order group buy?  I'm in for 2!!

Im in for one
Link Posted: 10/21/2007 7:18:30 PM EDT
[#49]
So, what will be the procedure for getting an SBR version of a MASADA?  Will they be available as factory SBR's?  Is this something that I would have to order and have held at an SOT until my papers clear or will they be available as upper and lower assemblies that I can have sent to a regular FFL and then get it engraved and send out the paperwork myself before purchasing the upper?
Link Posted: 10/21/2007 8:41:23 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
So, what will be the procedure for getting an SBR version of a MASADA?  Will they be available as factory SBR's?  Is this something that I would have to order and have held at an SOT until my papers clear or will they be available as upper and lower assemblies that I can have sent to a regular FFL and then get it engraved and send out the paperwork myself before purchasing the upper?

Enough w/ your SBR talk...it's making me sick.  
Page / 51
Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top