Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2019 12:15:23 AM EDT
11.5" AR Pistol with a vertical foregrip and Sba3.  No folding brace.
I believe this is well outside the 26" OAL limit?

My notions on legality are referenced in the below thread.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/VFG-on-26-OAL-12-bbl-AR-pistols--letter-from-ATF-says-it-s-ok-/122-734364/

I noticed the facebook page referenced in that thread is no longer available.  Thanks for any info.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 6:41:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
11.5" AR Pistol with a vertical foregrip and Sba3.  No folding brace.
I believe this is well outside the 26" OAL limit?

My notions on legality are referenced in the below thread.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/VFG-on-26-OAL-12-bbl-AR-pistols--letter-from-ATF-says-it-s-ok-/122-734364/

I noticed the facebook page referenced in that thread is no longer available.  Thanks for any info.
View Quote
Are you asking because you haven't built it yet? Because if you have built it, measure it. Based on the ATF data already out there, and that Connecticut shop raid, non-folders get measured from threads (or end of MD if pinned/welded) to end of Brace fully extended. Based on my 11.3" with Aero Lower/Upper, BA Hanson, and SBA3 w/ Supplied Tube - *fully extended* is over 26", yes. Collapsed, is not (it's like 25 and 7/8). I mean, if you haven't built yet, 1" is nothing (and better in terms of 5.56) - just use a 12.x" barrel for extra margin?
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 7:26:43 AM EDT
[#2]
The ATF letter is pretty clear on how to measure length -

End of the barrel(No muzzle device) to the end of the SBA3 FULLY EXTENDED.

If this is over 26 inches you're GTG.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 8:19:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Are you asking because you haven't built it yet? Because if you have built it, measure it. Based on the ATF data already out there, and that Connecticut shop raid, non-folders get measured from threads (or end of MD if pinned/welded) to end of Brace fully extended. Based on my 11.3" with Aero Lower/Upper, BA Hanson, and SBA3 w/ Supplied Tube - *fully extended* is over 26", yes. Collapsed, is not (it's like 25 and 7/8). I mean, if you haven't built yet, 1" is nothing (and better in terms of 5.56) - just use a 12.x" barrel for extra margin?
View Quote
If  it has a Law folder the measurement is different?
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 8:58:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If  it has a Law folder the measurement is different?
View Quote
Yes, it is then measured at the fold.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 9:13:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yes, it is then measured at the fold.
View Quote
got it
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 2:15:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The ATF letter is pretty clear on how to measure length -

End of the barrel(No muzzle device) to the end of the SBA3 FULLY EXTENDED.

If this is over 26 inches you're GTG.
View Quote
Thank You for clarifying sir.  My 11.5" from threads to "buttpad" of sba3 fully extended is 28.5"

I guess I am good.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 2:18:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have built it - I was just confronted with some contradictory information by a gun-range owner yesterday who saw my firearm.  He was adamant that you could not put a vert grip on a pistol no matter the length...

My 11.5" is 28.5" OAL from the "buttpad" of the Sba3 to the threads.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 3:28:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I have built it - I was just confronted with some contradictory information by a gun-range owner yesterday who saw my firearm.  He was adamant that you could not put a vert grip on a pistol no matter the length...

My 11.5" is 28.5" OAL from the "buttpad" of the Sba3 to the threads.
View Quote
Well he's right, you can't have a vert grip on a pistol. If it is over 26" it becomes a firearm. Thus you can install the grip. You can not conceal it however ...
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 3:32:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Well he's right, you can't have a vert grip on a pistol. If it is over 26" it becomes a firearm. Thus you can install the grip. You can not conceal it however ...
View Quote
So even though it was built as a pistol it is now a firearm?
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 5:36:13 PM EDT
[#10]
FYI to anyone wondering. At least with the SBA3 extended with a 10.3-inch Hanson barrel, it exceeds 26-inches even before it reaches the end of the barrel. It is just shy of 27-inches at the crush washer. So about 27.4 inches to the end of the threads. So even with a 10.3 inch barrel you would be able to put a VFG on it as long as you have a brace.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 5:40:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It becomes a "firearm" with the addition of a VFG. Being over 26" alone doesn't change its classification, but the addition of a VFG does (if over 26" it'd be a "firearm," if under 26" it'd be an AOW).

It's a common misconception that being over 26" changes the classification in and of itself, but that isn't the case. It's purely the addition of a VFG that changes how it is defined - the OAL just determines whether it falls under NFA purview or not.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 5:52:34 PM EDT
[#12]
NVM.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 6:01:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It becomes a "firearm" with the addition of a VFG. Being over 26" alone doesn't change its classification, but the addition of a VFG does (if over 26" it'd be a "firearm," if under 26" it'd be an AOW).

It's a common misconception that being over 26" changes the classification in and of itself, but that isn't the case. It's purely the addition of a VFG that changes how it is defined - the OAL just determines whether it falls under NFA purview or not.
View Quote
Much appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 8:03:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
FYI to anyone wondering. At least with the SBA3 extended with a 10.3-inch Hanson barrel, it exceeds 26-inches even before it reaches the end of the barrel. It is just shy of 27-inches at the crush washer. So about 27.4 inches to the end of the threads. So even with a 10.3 inch barrel you would be able to put a VFG on it as long as you have a brace.
View Quote
Yep, run them on all my 10.5's with the SBA3.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 11:17:19 PM EDT
[#15]
I went from a 10.5 with a kak blade to an 11.5 with an sba3. I did this just to cover all my basis bc from threads to end of buffer tube is right at 26 for me which just gave me peace of mind. With the brace extended there's no question it's over 26 inches. I'm a fan of vert grips
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 1:45:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I went from a 10.5 with a kak blade to an 11.5 with an sba3. I did this just to cover all my basis bc from threads to end of buffer tube is right at 26 for me which just gave me peace of mind. With the brace extended there's no question it's over 26 inches. I'm a fan of vert grips
View Quote
Agreed - a shortie without a vert grip is just rough.  Handstops perform better on longer rifles IMO.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top