Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 3:32:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Length and weight as per ATF prerequisites

Why 26" > will not be accepted as per ATF logic

30831Federal Register / Vol. 86, No. 110 / Thursday, June 10, 2021 / Proposed Rules
BILLING CODE 4410–FY–C

Section I. Prerequisites
As a preliminary factor when
evaluating a submitted sample, certain
prerequisites will be applied to
determine if the firearm, without the
attached ‘‘stabilizing brace,’’ will even
be considered a suitable weapon for the
brace. As described above, ‘‘stabilizing
braces’’ were originally marketed as
being designed to assist persons with
disabilities and others lacking sufficient
grip strength to control heavier pistols.
Accordingly, FATD will first examine
the submitted sample’s weapon weight
and overall length.
Weapon Weight. Weapon weight is a
key prerequisite in determining whether
a ‘‘stabilizing brace’’ is appropriately
used on a weapon. A traditional
unloaded 1911-type pistol weighs
approximately 39 ounces. Similarly, the
polymer Glock 17 weighs 39 ounces
when fully loaded. Weighing just over 2
pounds, these firearms are easily held
and fired with one hand without the
need for a ‘‘stabilizing brace,’’ as such
‘‘braces’’ are designed. This stands in
contrast to the weight of the type of
pistols or other firearms for which the
‘‘stabilizing brace’’ was designed to be
attached. The AR-type pistol, a popular
large handgun design, for example,
weighs approximately 5 to 7 pounds
(i.e., 80 ounces to 112 ounces) based on
its configuration. Such weight is more
difficult to manipulate and to keep on
target, indicating the ‘‘stabilizing brace’’
is in fact intended to assist one-handed
fire. Based on the weights stated above,
firearms weighing less than 64 ounces/
4 pounds (weighed with unloaded
magazine and accessories removed) are
not considered weapons suitable for use
with a ‘‘stabilizing brace’’ accessory
because they are more easily held and
fired with one hand without the need
for a ‘‘stabilizing brace.’’
Overall Length. The overall length of
a weapon is relevant in classifying it as
a ‘‘rifle’’ or a ‘‘pistol’’ because, as a
firearm becomes excessive in length, it
is increasingly difficult to fire with one
hand. The AR-type pistol has an overall
length between 18 and 25 inches,
depending on barrel length (due to the
necessary inclusion of the buffer tube).
Other large frame pistols range between
14 and 22 inches, such as the AK-type
DRACO, HK SP5, and CZ Scorpion
EVO. Firearms possessing an overall
length between 12 and 26 inches may be
considered pistols for which a
‘‘stabilizing brace’’ could reasonably be
attached to support one-handed fire.
Firearms with an overall length of less
than 12 inches are considered too short
to indicate any need for a ‘‘stabilizing
brace.’’ Conversely, firearms exceeding
26 inches in overall length are
impractical and inaccurate to fire one
handed, even with a ‘‘stabilizing brace,’’
due to imbalance of the weapon.
View Quote

Yeah and in the case of 'other firearms' they have to have a vertical fore grip anyway.  Essentially, put a pistol buffer tube on and no brace, or start booking boating trips.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 8:01:00 PM EDT
[#2]
So after reading every post in this thread at least three times, I'm still just as confused as I was  before reading the first post.

So hypothetically speaking..... I have an AR-15 pistol.... overall length is right at 26" from the rear most portion of the buffer tube to the tip of the barrel without the muzzle device... Palmetto State armory version of the SB3 brace.. 11.5"barrel..... Romeo 5 Red Dot and cheap flip up backup sites from Amazon...

How many points do I get?
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 8:11:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So after reading every post in this thread at least three times, I'm still just as confused as I was  before reading the first post.

So hypothetically speaking..... I have an AR-15 pistol.... overall length is right at 26" from the rear most portion of the buffer tube to the tip of the barrel without the muzzle device... Palmetto State armory version of the SB3 brace.. 11.5"barrel..... Romeo 5 Red Dot and cheap flip up backup sites from Amazon...

View Quote

It will depend on the brace construction, the weight of the pistol, whether you have sights, etc. as laid out in their 'points guide'.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 11:45:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

This in itself will put you over the limit.  The sights are another point.  What does the gun weigh?
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 4:47:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This in itself will put you over the limit.  The sights are another point.  What does the gun weigh?
View Quote

I don't know what the weight is I don't have a scale
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 6:28:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

But nobody uses one hand even to fire their Glock or 1911 or revolver or any other pistol unless they only have one hand or it is required by "game" rules or directives.  The whole one hand agruement is invalid.  The XP-100, Savage Striker, Thompson Contender and Encore, et al are all legally "pistols" (some with barrels 15" or longer) but none intended or designed to be fired with one hand.  They all have forends, just as an AR pistol handguard.  The whole premise is BS.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
A pistol is designed, made and intended to fire with one hand.

But nobody uses one hand even to fire their Glock or 1911 or revolver or any other pistol unless they only have one hand or it is required by "game" rules or directives.  The whole one hand agruement is invalid.  The XP-100, Savage Striker, Thompson Contender and Encore, et al are all legally "pistols" (some with barrels 15" or longer) but none intended or designed to be fired with one hand.  They all have forends, just as an AR pistol handguard.  The whole premise is BS.

Being ''originally designed, made and intended to fire with one hand'' are the terms required to be defined as a pistol. How someone chooses to hold the 'pistol' after the fact doesn't change that. Yea, it's silly but the definitions are legally understandable.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 10:48:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

If it is at 26 inches, the proposal implies that it is not eligible for a brace (and thus if you have one it would be an SBR with the 11.5" barrel).

If it is under 26 inches, that particular brace (SBA3) is already a show stopper.  If you removed the brace (and left the buffer tube), you are GTG.  Or, you can install in approved braces, and depending on the weight of your weapon, and LOP/style of the brace, you could be GTG.

Link Posted: 3/21/2022 11:35:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Being ''originally designed, made and intended to fire with one hand'' are the terms required to be defined as a pistol. How someone chooses to hold the 'pistol' after the fact doesn't change that. Yea, it's silly but the definitions are legally understandable.
View Quote

I realize that, but have you ever seen an XP-100 pistol?  It is obvious that it was not originally designed, made and intended to fire with one hand and yet it is still considered a pistol.  Same for the T/C, Nosler, and Savage, et al pistols.  I am just saying that using that terminology as a definition of a pistol for legal purposes is questionable.  It will be interesting to see how manf's approach this in their court challenges.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 1:39:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I wonder how tailhooks are being done? Like I know they are approved in general. But what about mounts that aren't just buffer tubes? Are they going to be thrown under the "modified stock design category"?

This is going on a Stribog:

Like A3 Tactical has folding brace adapters, IIRC they made the stock portion afterwards.

I wanted to have an A3 Folding Adapter with Tailhook Mod 1 on it instead of a buffer tube.

I'll be replacing my flip up sights with Glock sights regardless (the rear peep on those is too small for my preferences)

Also its retarded a hand stop is 2 points...

Current config as purchased.. probably a no go.. Can also be turned into a stock later. Need to measure the OAL of this in IL if I want to SBR it.

Honestly I'd rather rock this with a single point sling on the back + tension + Any accessories I want vs this stupid BS.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 2:33:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Wow, this stuff is just dumb.  I recently picked up a couple 10.3” pistols.  I’ll be running them with a red dot, light, and a KAG angled grip,SBA3 brace.

I’m starting to wonder if I should have just saved my money and put towards another 14.5 p/w or longer.

Wait it out I guess and enjoy for the time being.  Maybe run it with a shoe in the end of the buffer tube.  Wonder how many points a size 14 running shoe would be?  Lol
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 3:43:15 PM EDT
[#11]
If I have an upper with an FSB but no rear MBUIS, how is that counted? (It would have a red dot).

Link Posted: 3/21/2022 3:53:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If I have an upper with an FSB but no rear MBUIS, how is that counted? (It would have a red dot).

View Quote

It's a dick move:
"If you have BUIS +1 Point"
"If you don't have BUIS it's +1 Point"
"The factory Folding BUIS that WE(the ATF) approved on a Stribog Pistol Import is +1 Point"
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 6:08:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, I think it is still a demerit point.
The AFT has not been real clear on how/why the count rifle sights.  We think it has to do with the rear sight, which would make one think that front side by itself, (or with the correct rear sight) would be OK...but the AFT likes ambiguity and confusion.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 7:42:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The AFT has not been real clear on how/why the count rifle sights.  We think it has to do with the rear sight, which would make one think that front side by itself, (or with the correct rear sight) would be OK...but the AFT likes ambiguity and confusion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where there is a will, there is a way.

Attachment Attached File

I ordered these bases for a Stribog, probably fine for a 9mm/good for lower sights.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 8:42:43 PM EDT
[#15]
This garbage is unenforceable. It is so convoluted there is no practical way for the average Joe to understand these rules, which per case law, invalidates it. All this will need to be litigated, but I cannot see how it could hold up to judicial review.

Furthermore, I cannot see law enforcement at the local, county, or state level (unless you live in a state with draconian gun control already) taking the time to contact ATF about a 'pistol' they encounter unless it's been used in a crime or in the possession of a prohibited person/someone engaged in other criminal activity.

I wouldn't be too quick to change anything out on your pistol just yet unless you plan on traveling with it. All these rule changes will take time to be clarified (if that's even possible).
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 9:40:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/333164/lol_PNG-2321741.JPG

I ordered these bases for a Stribog, probably fine for a 9mm/good for lower sights.
View Quote

Very interesting, where did you get those from?
Now I'm looking around for similar stuff.

https://www.leupold.com/deltapoint-pro-iron-sight
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 9:42:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

https://marvel-b1-cdn.bc0a.com/f00000000247462/www.leupold.com/media/catalog/product/cache/55bbbc931dd6192f89aa1b61a80fa691/d/p/dp-pro_rear_iron_sight_120058_m-1_1.png
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/333164/lol_PNG-2321741.JPG

https://marvel-b1-cdn.bc0a.com/f00000000247462/www.leupold.com/media/catalog/product/cache/55bbbc931dd6192f89aa1b61a80fa691/d/p/dp-pro_rear_iron_sight_120058_m-1_1.png

Oh, High Tower Armory sells them. I didnt buy them because of the ATF crap. I just wanted something a bit different for low mounted sights. Something that would be pretty fast to pick up imo. For a PDW they seemed like a good idea.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 9:50:52 PM EDT
[#18]
As I mentioned, this 'points' system isn't designed or intended to offer compliance, but to make it all but impossible to achieve it without appropriately creating new laws to ban.  And even if you somehow do make it under the demerits, if they want they can still call it an illegal SBR in 'purpose' anyway, and book you for it just as bad.  So ultimately, we're just making fools of ourselves and our guns by trying to chase our tails here.  It's like saying, "you're allowed to drive your car but can't start the engine or have it move, and you'll get a demerit for having less than four wheels, but also for more than three.  But let's be very clear here, we are not banning driving your car."
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 12:05:38 AM EDT
[#19]
nevermind
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 12:16:14 AM EDT
[#20]

Question about this one.   Looks like patches of velcro on the handguard?  

The ATF worksheet adds 4 points for "Presence of a Secondary Grip (indicating two-handed fire)".  

Think they'd count plastic grip panels attached to a slotted handguard as a "secondary grip"?   Thinking yes.

Would they count the velcro strips(assuming they are velcro,) as a secondary grip?  

The QD sling mount looks like an interesting idea.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 4:13:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
As I mentioned, this 'points' system isn't designed or intended to offer compliance, but to make it all but impossible to achieve it without appropriately creating new laws to ban.  And even if you somehow do make it under the demerits, if they want they can still call it an illegal SBR in 'purpose' anyway, and book you for it just as bad.  So ultimately, we're just making fools of ourselves and our guns by trying to chase our tails here.  It's like saying, "you're allowed to drive your car but can't start the engine or have it move, and you'll get a demerit for having less than four wheels, but also for more than three.  But let's be very clear here, we are not banning driving your car."
View Quote

For the most part yes...
You can still meet the weight and length requirements and be under 4pts in SEC II and SEC III yet the ATF can decide on it's own if it's an SBR based on it's own subjective criteria on a case by case basis.

So much for consistency.

Link Posted: 3/22/2022 4:42:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 1:53:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The ATF worksheet adds 4 points for "Presence of a Secondary Grip (indicating two-handed fire)".  

Think they'd count plastic grip panels attached to a slotted handguard as a "secondary grip"?   Thinking yes.

Would they count the velcro strips(assuming they are velcro,) as a secondary grip?  

View Quote

My guess to any such question like this is 'They would and you'd have to prove in court that they aren't', which is the main purpose....deterrence.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 1:57:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

If this goes through and we can't beat it I'm probably just going to keep mine the same other than taking off the braces.    AR pistols shoot just fine w/o them.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 2:05:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

If this goes through and we can't beat it I'm probably just going to keep mine the same other than taking off the braces.    AR pistols shoot just fine w/o them.
View Quote

As I mentioned earlier, I have my rifles (pre-ban for my state) and an SBR at least.  That's what's great about this platform: its interchangeability.  The rest.....heard the seas can be rough this time of year.

I'm wondering if right before it takes effect there are going to be blowout sales on pistols and 'others', or gouging/panic sales.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 4:46:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

If it is at 26 inches, the proposal implies that it is not eligible for a brace (and thus if you have one it would be an SBR with the 11.5" barrel).

If it is under 26 inches, that particular brace (SBA3) is already a show stopper.  If you removed the brace (and left the buffer tube), you are GTG.  Or, you can install in approved braces, and depending on the weight of your weapon, and LOP/style of the brace, you could be GTG.

View Quote

I think the kak shockwave brace actually works better than the SB3 for me anyways.... When I strap the SB3 onto my forearm it's very uncomfortable and cuts into my skin
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 6:27:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I think the kak shockwave brace actually works better than the SB3 for me anyways.... When I strap the SB3 onto my forearm it's very uncomfortable and cuts into my skin
View Quote

Well, to be honest it was not designed for that

The Shockwave is likely to be in the same boat as the SBA3 if it is the "adjustable" version, and it doesn't have the (all important to AFT for some reason) strap.  I think the only braces that will actually pass are going to have to be clamped on or slipped on with no quick way to adjust for length, and be under 12.5" LOP.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 7:50:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Right, as @Capt_Destro mentioned in his post about his Stribog, a single point sling + tension works pretty well.    

Otherwise, just to keep the brace you have to remove the backup sights (unless you use the notched pistol rear sight and that's an assumption), the grip panels on the handguard, the hand stop and watch the weight (which shouldn't be that much of an issue.)
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 8:53:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nah, those are just standard rail covers. Some are plastic, some are rubber....but at this point, "free float rails" are accepted.  They improve accuracy.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 8:54:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Right, as @Capt_Destro mentioned in his post about his Stribog, a single point sling + tension works pretty well.    

Otherwise, just to keep the brace you have to remove the backup sights (unless you use the notched pistol rear sight and that's an assumption), the grip panels on the handguard, the hand stop and watch the weight (which shouldn't be that much of an issue.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've done that a fair amount w/ the single point sling and tension.  It was taught to me by someone who's spent a lot of time w/ a MP5.  It'll probably be easier (and cheaper) to just take the brace off and use a good pistol extension while leaving the rest of the pistol the same than it will be to play through their maze of badly explained rules.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 9:22:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The Shockwave is likely to be in the same boat as the SBA3 if it is the "adjustable" version, and it doesn't have the (all important to AFT for some reason) strap.  I think the only braces that will actually pass are going to have to be clamped on or slipped on with no quick way to adjust for length, and be under 12.5" LOP.
View Quote

Yeah, it would take some work to make a "quick adjust" brace pass, as it would have to be able to pass all of Part II, while also being able to pass Part III by either using a mil-spec tube and not hitting/exceeding 12.5" LOP, or using pure pistol buffer tube and not hitting/exceeding a 13.5" LOP.  

The quick adjustment feature alone would cost you a total of 3 demerit points, so it would have to be something like the Magpul blade (with straps) and either a shorter LOP, or use a round tube.  I guess a reworked Magpul blade that used a milspec tube, but stopped at 12.3'ish inches could work.   Take the the 1 point hit in Part II for "Incorporating a shoulder stock design", but use that for both the quick adjust feature AND the QD slot.  That way the QD slot can stay mounted and the backside of the blade to get 0 points for "Incorporating features to prevent use as a shoulder device".   2 points for being "adjustable".

If/when this goes through, I suspect there will be a lot of reworked braces that could pass.  What sucks is all of the money wasted because the "criteria" is coming years too late, along with the additional weight/length/accessory BS.

Link Posted: 3/22/2022 10:34:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

And...if one just decides not to comply then might as well just put a stock on it anyway.  Not that I'm condoning that.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 10:40:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

And...if one just decides not to comply then might as well just put a stock on it anyway.  Not that I'm condoning that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honestly these laws are stupid. But our own would be the first ones to rat us out for some reason. (Cranky Range employees with a hate boner for example)
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 11:46:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

My guess to any such question like this is 'They would and you'd have to prove in court that they aren't', which is the main purpose....deterrence.
View Quote

This is very much the case.  

And money as well.  An estimated $125,000,000 in potential SBR stamps over the next decade?
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 12:10:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Well, even if they didn't reduce the SBR/tax stamp prices as was mentioned the first times this whole hubbub came up, I'd still be fine with registering at least a few more.

Of course that means you're registered, but if they wanted to come after you they would anyway, I have a feeling that this registry doesn't make it much easier than what they can just find on you as easily as Google can map your algorithm if desired.  At this point I already have a suppressor and SBR, so they've already 'got me'.  Problem at least in my state is that the lower has to start as a pre-ban, it's not like I can just SBR an Aero lower I got stripped and built into an 'other' (compliant configuration for my state).  And if you've looked up prices for pre-bans these days.....otherwise I would already have SBR'd a couple.

So anyway, I wish luck to anyone who is going to attempt a 'compliant' braced pistol.  But at a certain point, it's a call between compliance and dignity....and in that case fuck them.  If you are in free-enough states, then great if you can still go with rifles and SBR's.  I thankfully have enough pre-ban configurations that I don't have to depend solely on pistols/'other' versions.  And if/when they come after those, then we've truly gone to hell anyway so it's gonna be game time.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 11:12:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Well, even if they didn't reduce the SBR/tax stamp prices as was mentioned the first times this whole hubbub came up, I'd still be fine with registering at least a few more.

Of course that means you're registered, but if they wanted to come after you they would anyway, I have a feeling that this registry doesn't make it much easier than what they can just find on you as easily as Google can map your algorithm if desired.  At this point I already have a suppressor and SBR, so they've already 'got me'.  Problem at least in my state is that the lower has to start as a pre-ban, it's not like I can just SBR an Aero lower I got stripped and built into an 'other' (compliant configuration for my state).  And if you've looked up prices for pre-bans these days.....otherwise I would already have SBR'd a couple.

So anyway, I wish luck to anyone who is going to attempt a 'compliant' braced pistol.  But at a certain point, it's a call between compliance and dignity....and in that case fuck them.  If you are in free-enough states, then great if you can still go with rifles and SBR's.  I thankfully have enough pre-ban configurations that I don't have to depend solely on pistols/'other' versions.  And if/when they come after those, then we've truly gone to hell anyway so it's gonna be game time.
View Quote

If you have one registered SBR, a few more isn't going to hurt (other than the wallet).  I don't have one and never will.  Sure they can find out if I have bought guns, but they can't prove I still have them.  Registering an SBR or even a can, puts you squarely in their crosshairs should they decide that you should no longer have them.  I doubt that this will happen in my lifetime, but I expect it will eventually happen and my kids will have "undocumented" momentos to do with however they please.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 12:12:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

If you have one registered SBR, a few more isn't going to hurt (other than the wallet).  I don't have one and never will.  Sure they can find out if I have bought guns, but they can't prove I still have them.  Registering an SBR or even a can, puts you squarely in their crosshairs should they decide that you should no longer have them.  I doubt that this will happen in my lifetime, but I expect it will eventually happen and my kids will have "undocumented" momentos to do with however they please.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SBR in IL is a waste imo. ATF wont approve it here unless it has a 26" OAL. Kinda fucks over SMG/PDW SBRs.

Thats why pistol braces make sense here atleast. That and its legal under ccw and gets state pre-emption

Id rather just go with a 16" AR or a PW in that case.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 1:36:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

SBR in IL is a waste imo. ATF wont approve it here unless it has a 26" OAL. Kinda fucks over SMG/PDW SBRs.

Thats why pistol braces make sense here atleast. That and its legal under ccw and gets state pre-emption

Id rather just go with a 16" AR or a PW in that case.
View Quote

Don't forget hunting.
In Illinois, you can't hunt deer with a center-fire rifle, but you CAN hunt with a shotgun or single shot/revolver handgun (straightwall or .300blk only).   Auto spent case ejection is OK, as long as it cannot auto load another round, so a Bob Sled or single shot follower means an AR pistol is allowed for deer hunting.

Plus all of the places with AWB's....so AR-15 rifles are not allowed, but preemption does allow AR pistols.  

Link Posted: 3/23/2022 1:58:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well I already had a suppressor 'registered' anyway.  And if they are going to come after them, what's the alternative...hiding them in fear?  Exercising our rights in secret?  At that point you have to figure that things have gone to hell and tyranny is afoot.  They won't have to prove anyone has anything, just assume that they do and do whatever it takes like kill their power and freeze money, etc....until we PROVE we don't.  Kind of like this dog & pony show, trying to comply with their 'points'.

So I basically see this brace thing as the first step towards that, some probably as one amongst many so far.  Anyway, one SBR is probably enough as I can interchange uppers and can't exactly fire two at the same time anyway.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 2:56:43 PM EDT
[#40]
I suspect this whole point system will kill manufacture of uppers with barrels less than 16 inches (outside of military and government contracts) and any lowers that start life as a pistol. End of story. For a company it's just not worth the potential liability. This is their first step in choking off the supply. Of course, I hope there's an army of 2A lawyers giving them a full broadside of injunctions against enforcement by the ATF 5 seconds after the final rule is posted.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 3:33:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I suspect this whole point system will kill manufacture of uppers with barrels less than 16 inches (outside of military and government contracts) and any lowers that start life as a pistol. End of story. For a company it's just not worth the potential liability. This is their first step in choking off the supply. Of course, I hope there's an army of 2A lawyers giving them a full broadside of injunctions against enforcement by the ATF 5 seconds after the final rule is posted.
View Quote

Even if braces were outlawed entirely you can still have a short barrel upper on a lower with a plain buffer tube.  There will still be SBR's, in fact I suspect a lot more as many will just take the plunge.  There will still be stripped lowers that aren't designated as anything, and no lowers start life as a pistol unless they come with a short barrel upper.  I doubt this will have much of an effect on that supply.  If there is a way to make a braced pistol pass muster, manufacturers will find it and exploit it.  

The real issue is the fact that AFT seems to think they can ignore their whole point system and declare any gun with a brace on it an illegal SBR if they so desire.  I think that will be one area that will come under scrutiny in court, and I doubt will be allowed to stand.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 4:52:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't think that will happen.
Again, AR pistols are not impacted by this UNLESS they have a brace.
What it will kill (early on) are certain braces that are already wildly popular and are in current circulation....but I expect their to be a ton of lawsuits/stays/injunctions.

What it will also do is spur more innovation.

Last night I ordered another LAW Folder (FDE this time, so I hope it matches).  

I also have these items sitting in different carts.
https://borebuddy.com/product/law-folder-pressure-plug/

https://www.righttobear.com/spike-s-tactical-st22-pistol-plug-black-st2p100/

I'm still debating on getting a different barrel or a different rail....but either way, I'm going to run a LAW folder with a .22LR conversion kit, making it so that I don't NEED a buffer tube at all when I'm in ".22LR" mode, but will have the option of screwing in a buffer tube (with or without buffer/spring) based on the mood I'm in.   Cool thing about the the LAW folder is that you don't orbit your rear takedown detent spring when you swap buffer tubes.  

Also looking at these shorty buffer tubes.
https://www.opticsplanet.com/strike-industries-ar-15-pistol-buffer-tube-kit.html

I'm thinking I might be able to fit an SB Mini on the end of the shorty buffer tube, which is about 2 inches shorter than a normal tube....which would be attached to a LAW folder (which extends LOP about 1.4 inches)....just to test out different options.

Edit, fixed pistol tubes.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 5:28:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Hopefully you guys are right. It just seems AFT wants to further regulate firearms components as well. This with the OAL and weight limits seems a tough order. In my fantasy world SCOTUS eventually finds in today's world the NFA in unconstitutionally vague. Not likely but one can dream.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 6:10:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the day comes they are going to pickup every who has something in the NFA registry they're never going to get them all the first day, or the second, or even the first month.   At some point people will just invite them to the party when they come around.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 9:29:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That might be something where you can just pin it at the length you want.   That should solve both length and quick adjust.   Pin it at something under 12.5 and call it good.  Anyone know why that wouldn't work?

Link Posted: 3/24/2022 9:57:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

That might be something where you can just pin it at the length you want.   That should solve both length and quick adjust.   Pin it at something under 12.5 and call it good.  Anyone know why that wouldn't work?

View Quote

Pinning came up when the proposal was first released, but no one knows what the AFT will say.   Does is still have to pass Part II?  Does pinning it negate some of the demerit points like "adjustability" or buffer tube type?  Does that count as modifying a brace?  (Why do I even need to pin a Shockwave of Tailhook Mod 2 when they were ATF approved as adjustable?)  Even so, it looks like an SBA3, one of the most popular braces on the planet, would still fail part II.  

If the AFT does not respond one way or the other, it becomes more of that gray area which leads people to "self-regulate".  Of course at a point, a lot of people will just say F it, I'll do what I want.
When I say that, I don't mean put a stock on it, I mean people will follow the "guidelines" as they see fit.    

The whole thing is such BS....there cannot be this much gray area (already beyond written law) when felonies are at play, but I guess that is a feature, not a bug.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 12:30:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

A while back I had an SB SOB on a pistol tube that I just used some epoxy with.  Held rock solid, but it didn't 'show' as being permanent.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 2:40:28 PM EDT
[#48]
How are they going to let the rifle stock for pistol still be in use ?
" />
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 3:37:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
How are they going to let the rifle stock for pistol still be in use ?
https://i.ibb.co/3dj01Cv/Rifle-Stock.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.ibb.co/3dj01Cv/Rifle-Stock.jpg
View Quote

That stock isn't actually attached to the gun, right?  Doesn't your hand hold it to the grip?
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 11:07:41 AM EDT
[#50]
While looking around, I found the UTG Pro extended pistol buffer tube, which is made to work with the Tailhook Mod1/1c

I like that it has an index slot to keep the brace from rotating, but what really has my attention is the length.  IF the whole thing is 8.5 inches, then there is a chance that when installed, it might have an LOP of just under 11.5 inches.   Possible cheaper and lighter option than a Phase 5 tube plus a LAW folder (with a Tailhook).

https://www.opticsplanet.com/leapers-utg-pro-ar-pistol-extended-receiver-extension-tube.html

Still maxes out at 3 demerit points (extended tube), but is another option to keep in mind while the lawsuits work themselves out.   I might order one just to see.  At worst, I cam stick a foam cover on it if it is too long.  

Page / 4
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top