BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2024 11:33:50 AM EDT
Criterion barrel
Toolcraft BCG

Just assembled this upper and notice some potential contact points on the barrel extension. I have assembled several AR 15s and haven’t noticed this issue in any of them, but this is my first large frame build.

Any advice is appreciated.

Link Posted: 6/2/2024 5:55:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Was it like that prior to installation, or after cycling the action several times?
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 5:56:09 PM EDT
[#2]
What does the front of the bolt look like?
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 9:59:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:
What does the front of the bolt look like?
View Quote

Here are some pictures of the bolt. Doesn’t look to have much wear in the same places to me. Unfortunately I don’t have any pictures of the barrel extension before assembly.

Link Posted: 6/3/2024 6:38:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I would send the pictures to Criterion, to see what they think.
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 9:20:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:
I would send the pictures to Criterion, to see what they think.
View Quote

Good call, I will do that.
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 9:34:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Hard to tell exactly, but do the ramp cuts line up perfectly with the upper or are they slightly skewed clockwise?
Might be an issue with the alignment pin notch in the upper, I've seen it before.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 3:50:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TonyRumore] [#7]
What kind of tool were you using to hold the receiver, when you torqued the barrel nut?

Tony

Link Posted: 6/4/2024 10:29:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By TonyRumore:
What kind of tool were you using to hold the receiver, when you torqued the barrel nut?

Tony

View Quote

I used a Midwest Industries action rod. I did notice that the lugs on the action rod were pretty sharp so I am wondering if I bubba’d it when I was sliding it on.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 8:27:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TonyRumore] [#9]
Check and see if the barrel may have rotated in the receiver when you torqued it down.
You might try just pulling back on the nut a bit and see if the barrel will rotated back a bit.
If that receiver is 6061, and you hold it with a reaction rod, it's pretty easy to drag the barrel over off top dead center when tightening.
The MI unit does have a flange to help prevent it, but it doesn't fit all that securely in the charging handle slot.

Tony

Link Posted: 6/10/2024 4:06:34 PM EDT
[#10]
If I have things right in my head, I would imagine that could happen if the bolt started rotating too early, but I can't imagine what would cause that to happen, especially with all new quality parts. Maybe you could get that happen if you assembled the BCG without the firing pin in place and tried to slam the bolt home.

Still, I would think that if it was caused by a misalignment of parts, there would be corresponding marks of some sort on the bolt. My guess would be that it happened during install.

Please post when you figure it out. Looks like a learning moment.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 4:56:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Alright think I have it figured out.

I believe it’s not the bolt that gouged it, but me slipping when sliding it onto the action rod. The lugs on the action rod are fairly sharp so I fell confident that it’s user error on my part.

I need to find time to go shoot it. I’m hoping that the gouges will not effect function.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 4:57:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By TonyRumore:
Check and see if the barrel may have rotated in the receiver when you torqued it down.
You might try just pulling back on the nut a bit and see if the barrel will rotated back a bit.
If that receiver is 6061, and you hold it with a reaction rod, it's pretty easy to drag the barrel over off top dead center when tightening.
The MI unit does have a flange to help prevent it, but it doesn't fit all that securely in the charging handle slot.

Tony

View Quote

Agree with this, in addition the teeth on the spline on the MIURR are to narrow thus a sloppy fit in the barrel ext along with the fin in the charging handle slot. This tool aint bad but not near as good as all the hype.

There is a better tool.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 5:30:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By OTDR:

Agree with this, in addition the teeth on the spline on the MIURR are to narrow thus a sloppy fit in the barrel ext along with the fin in the charging handle slot. This tool aint bad but not near as good as all the hype.

There is a better tool.
View Quote

What tool would you recommend?
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 8:50:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Maddy21:

What tool would you recommend?
View Quote

2 Unique barreling spud. Its more expensive than MI URR but can also be used for USGI barrel nut alignment.

The teeth on the spline are wider than on the MI URR and thus no barrel ext slop. The fin can be shimmed as shown in this pic with metal tape like HVAC techs use.

On 3 uppers I just checked, BMC UPPER did not need to shim the fin, a used S&W upper and a new Colt upper does. Its kind of hit and miss on the fin but it needs to be able to fit the smaller spec uppers.

Link Posted: 6/12/2024 12:10:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Looks good, thanks for sharing
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top