Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/31/2024 2:06:33 PM EDT
Hey all,

Can anyone school my on the different generations and changes on the Elcan Spectre DR over the years? Seems like every used one I see is a slightly diff color, housing, battery, etc.

Wanting to know if there are any true pros or cons to the different generations
Link Posted: 5/31/2024 5:03:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hey all,

Can anyone school my on the different generations and changes on the Elcan Spectre DR over the years? Seems like every used one I see is a slightly diff color, housing, battery, etc.

Wanting to know if there are any true pros or cons to the different generations
View Quote

Get the newest version or generation unless your cloning a certain time period
Link Posted: 5/31/2024 5:09:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Without getting into the minutia...The newest ones are 2032. The older ones are 1/3N. I like to think of the real old ones as square bodies.
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 7:45:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Get the newest version or generation unless your cloning a certain time period
View Quote

Would love to. But dollars
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 7:46:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Without getting into the minutia...The newest ones are 2032. The older ones are 1/3N. I like to think of the real old ones as square bodies.
View Quote

That's good to know, would really like to use a more standard battery type
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 8:12:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought mine... I want to say 2 years ago. It's been wonderful. I don't pay much mind to the minor changes in coloring or low/no impact aesthetic issues. I haven't looked at any new ones and am generally the only one running one when I go to a match or anything.

Here's some pictures of mine. She's had a rough life.

Link Posted: 6/1/2024 9:29:42 AM EDT
[#6]
There are technically 3 generations.  First gen has the cone shaped battery cover.  I don’t believe they made any tan Gen 1s, just black.  The G1 didn’t have any stops in the magnification throw lever track, which was the primary cause of the POI shift complaints.  It also didn’t have the mounting bosses for the saddle mount.  Mag lever and QD mount levers were on opposite sides from all other newer models.  I’d stay away from G1 models due to this.

Gen 2 added the stops to the mag throw lever track.  Also added the saddle mount mounting bosses.  G2 kept the same “block” like protrusions in the body where the demagnification prism rotated.

Gen 3 is most easily discernible by the more rounded prism protrusions in the main body of the optic.  Initial versions kept the 1/3N battery type.  At some point, they upgraded the electronics and moved to a 2032 battery.  This doubled battery life, IIRC, at least according to the manufacturer published specs.  Battery cap is the easiest way to tell the difference between these two models.

Gen 1 models are usually fairly cheap when they come up for sale, due to the issues they had with POI shift.  They are rare, though, so there’s a good chance you won’t find one for sale.

Tan Gen 2 models typically go for a premium due to cloners.  They are also rare, so you will likely have a hard time trying to find one.

Gen 3 can be kind of all over the map.  Commercial models typically aren’t too expensive.  SU-230 models obviously command a premium.  If you’re dead set on an Elcan, I’d hold out for a 2032 model as the electronic/battery life upgrades are worth it.

If you’re not dead set, I’d look somewhere else in the LPVO world, the SpecterDR is getting very long in the tooth in 2024.
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 3:40:47 PM EDT
[#7]
The 2032 model is what people refer to as the "Gen 3b".

Get that one and some upgraded ARMS levers if you can find em.
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 4:13:59 PM EDT
[#8]
the latest version has a to 1913 rail instead of backup iron sight

It was a design change requested by the Danish .mil, which now issuing as the replacement for their original 3.4x fixed Elcan.
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 4:21:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
There are technically 3 generations.  First gen has the cone shaped battery cover.  I don’t believe they made any tan Gen 1s, just black.  The G1 didn’t have any stops in the magnification throw lever track, which was the primary cause of the POI shift complaints.  It also didn’t have the mounting bosses for the saddle mount.  Mag lever and QD mount levers were on opposite sides from all other newer models.  I’d stay away from G1 models due to this.

Gen 2 added the stops to the mag throw lever track.  Also added the saddle mount mounting bosses.  G2 kept the same “block” like protrusions in the body where the demagnification prism rotated.

https://i0.wp.com/www.breachbangclear.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/Elcan-Specter-1-4x_Gen1-vs-Gen2.jpg?resize=800%2C1067&ssl=1

Gen 3 is most easily discernible by the more rounded prism protrusions in the main body of the optic.  Initial versions kept the 1/3N battery type.  At some point, they upgraded the electronics and moved to a 2032 battery.  This doubled battery life, IIRC, at least according to the manufacturer published specs.  Battery cap is the easiest way to tell the difference between these two models.

https://taskernetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/8-1.jpeg

Gen 1 models are usually fairly cheap when they come up for sale, due to the issues they had with POI shift.  They are rare, though, so there’s a good chance you won’t find one for sale.

Tan Gen 2 models typically go for a premium due to cloners.  They are also rare, so you will likely have a hard time trying to find one.

Gen 3 can be kind of all over the map.  Commercial models typically aren’t too expensive.  SU-230 models obviously command a premium.  If you’re dead set on an Elcan, I’d hold out for a 2032 model as the electronic/battery life upgrades are worth it.

If you’re not dead set, I’d look somewhere else in the LPVO world, the SpecterDR is getting very long in the tooth in 2024.
View Quote

Thanks for the info, this is exactly what I was looking for!
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 5:34:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 1:24:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I've got a cosmetically "salty" FDE SU-230 in 7.62 with the ARMS levers, but the lenses are flawless and it functions well.  I don't know a lot about these optics, but I got this one and put it on my SCAR 17S.  What's so special about an "SU-230"?

Link Posted: 6/5/2024 2:23:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've got a cosmetically "salty" FDE SU-230 in 7.62 with the ARMS levers, but the lenses are flawless and it functions well.  I don't know a lot about these optics, but I got this one and put it on my SCAR 17S.  What's so special about an "SU-230"?

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53476233365_13c45ea693_k.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53475960933_e3f4720b06_k.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53476232895_b8554d7ba3_k.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53475820471_d6677f3afe_k.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53476232840_94f4b55e13_k.jpg

View Quote

Military contract model.  Reticles are different from the commercial variants.

Cloners are 99% of the reason they’re “special.”
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top