User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/14/2024 12:17:14 PM EDT
https://www.griffinarmament.com/griffin-1-10x-mil-r-sfp-riflescope/

anyone check these out?  is this another "me too?" thing, another chinese clone from one of the many factories?
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 12:32:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I’ve been conversing with them about the scope for almost a week in the industry forum.
I’ve never owned a 34mm tube or a second focal plan optic.

Today my decision was made somewhat easier.
Griffin is running a weekend Father’s Day sale of 15% sightwide.
Coupon code is DAD24.

I thought it lucrative enough I was planning on posting in TEAM.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

As far as where it’s made I don’t know. I do have several years experience with their mounts and silencers.
If you follow the industry forum it’s very apparent that the owner (former sniper) wouldn’t just relabel something for a buck. It also has some great feedback from long range shooters.

Griffin backs all their products and I don’t see them going away anytime soon.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 12:35:59 PM EDT
[#2]
25.75 oz? PASSing on this one sorry
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 12:48:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

As compared to what?

Who offers a 10x with electronics with significant weight savings and at what price point?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 1:18:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, the weight 100% kills it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 1:44:13 PM EDT
[#5]
The Razor comes in at 21.5 oz

I understand the red dots are the answer to the shooting most do with an AR,
but if your ‘scoping’ an AR for distance duty what 10x compares?

I’m here for learning and always appreciate alternatives.
edit- An etched reticle is also important to me.

edit- Scoping AR was bad analogy because it’s going on an M1a.
sorry for the confusion but it did berth a good discussion.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 2:06:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Dump the 1x, if you think you need 10x.  LVPO's are not the jack of all that some make them out to be.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 2:17:45 PM EDT
[#7]
You know where it's made.

That being said I hope it's a decent optic, but I'm not holding my breath.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 3:55:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Dump the 1x, if you think you need 10x.  LVPO's are not the jack of all that some make them out to be.
View Quote

I think LPVO has a place.  My 1-6 is almost as fast as my T2 when on 1X and nice that it'll go up to 6X.

That said, I agree that if you need that 10X, better off getting a real scope.  A quality 3-9X with a top or 45 degree mounted RMR for 1X would make more sense.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 4:16:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I think LPVO has a place.  My 1-6 is almost as fast as my T2 when on 1X and nice that it'll go up to 6X.

That said, I agree that if you need that 10X, better off getting a real scope.  A quality 3-9X with a top or 45 degree mounted RMR for 1X would make more sense.
View Quote

I have a 1-6x LPVO that I do like.  Key point, 1-6x.  When you start stretching the top end it adds weight and combine that with FFP and illumination and you gain more weight.  Weight drops when you increase the bottom end magnification.  Most high mag LPVO's flat suck @ 8x and above when it comes to light and eyebox.  The larger tube may help in that regard, but you pay a weight penalty.  Get off the 1x bottom if you primarily want to shoot far far away as it does nothing significant for you.  A compact 3-9x without illumination along a piggyback mrds will weigh a lot less than that pig and be more effective.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 4:32:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have a 1-6x LPVO that I do like.  Key point, 1-6x.  When you start stretching the top end it adds weight and combine that with FFP and illumination and you gain more weight.  Weight drops when you increase the bottom end magnification.  Most high mag LPVO's flat suck @ 8x and above when it comes to light and eyebox.  The larger tube may help in that regard, but you pay a weight penalty.  Get off the 1x bottom if you primarily want to shoot far far away as it does nothing significant for you.  A compact 3-9x without illumination along a piggyback mrds will weigh a lot less than that pig and be more effective.
View Quote

Yup, completely agree.    
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 4:39:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Appreciate the well thought out advice.

It’s all in the details. It will replacing my Vortex Viper 2 x 10 on an M1a in EBR chassis.
Not a clone but it’s a ton of fun. From the bench!
Attachment Attached File

(My fault, no way you could have deduced that lol.)

Again, I appreciate the perspective.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 5:21:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I think this is the next evolution in AR optics.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 7:34:26 PM EDT
[#13]
This scope looks like the Primary Arms SLX 1-10x28 but with slightly different features. Feels like a cash-in.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 7:54:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/467962/IMG_0529_jpeg-3240865.JPG
View Quote

Other than the fact that they forgot to consider a piggyback mrds location.  They could have extended the shroud in front for ARD and a platform for a reflex, but they went all in on the compact aspect.

Another near-miss by PA
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 8:06:36 PM EDT
[#15]
I envision that technology and maybe even ‘style’ but with variable power somewhat like zoom on a camera.
They are probably working on stuff beyond that.

I’m not very mobile these days but it looks like it rocks for drills.
I’ve seen a lot of good reviews but have not handled one yet.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 9:02:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Other than the fact that they forgot to consider a piggyback mrds location.  They could have extended the shroud in front for ARD and a platform for a reflex, but they went all in on the compact aspect.

Another near-miss by PA
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Another near-miss by PA

I would absolutely jump on the 5x if they had a built in MRDS platform on it.

I may still try one one of these days with the Heromod mount.

I really wish they would add a non chevron reticle to that one and some others though.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 12:37:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I would absolutely jump on the 5x if they had a built in MRDS platform on it.

I may still try one one of these days with the Heromod mount.

I really wish they would add a non chevron reticle to that one and some others though.
View Quote

Amen, brother!
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 3:38:10 AM EDT
[#18]
1X exit pupil and you.

Exit pupil is the viewing width in which the optic can transmit light. This equates to two things: Light gathering, and eye box. This model is listed as 8.8mm, so let’s break that down. This means you’re going to have a darker picture than most other LPVO’s, but where it really hurts is eye box. Pull a 9mm barrel out of a pistol and move it around while trying to look through it. This has less forgiveness than that. When you add in eye relief it constricts it even further.

In addition the 28mm objective divided by the 8.8mm exit pupil tells us the native magnification is about 3.2X. Meaning it uses a reduction lens for magnification below 3.2X, and a magnification lens above 3.2X. The further away it is from 1X, the more likely you are to experience fish eye as the capability of the reduction lens is pushed to its limit.

What does all this amount to? You’re going to get an optic with a compromised low end magnification. It’s going to be darker than about anything else, and it’s going to have a very sensitive eye box at the magnification levels you need forgiveness. Looking at the price point, even more compromise has to be made to even make a 1-10, and that compromise was likely in glass quality.

I’d pass. If you need 1X and 10X, you should buy a MPVO and an offset red dot.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 10:06:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
1X exit pupil and you.

Exit pupil is the viewing width in which the optic can transmit light. This equates to two things: Light gathering, and eye box. This model is listed as 8.8mm, so let’s break that down. This means you’re going to have a darker picture than most other LPVO’s, but where it really hurts is eye box. Pull a 9mm barrel out of a pistol and move it around while trying to look through it. This has less forgiveness than that. When you add in eye relief it constricts it even further.

In addition the 28mm objective divided by the 8.8mm exit pupil tells us the native magnification is about 3.2X. Meaning it uses a reduction lens for magnification below 3.2X, and a magnification lens above 3.2X. The further away it is from 1X, the more likely you are to experience fish eye as the capability of the reduction lens is pushed to its limit.

What does all this amount to? You’re going to get an optic with a compromised low end magnification. It’s going to be darker than about anything else, and it’s going to have a very sensitive eye box at the magnification levels you need forgiveness. Looking at the price point, even more compromise has to be made to even make a 1-10, and that compromise was likely in glass quality.

View Quote

@-OdieGreen-

Factual knowledge shared in a very understandable post.
Unique these days. I respect that.
Thank You.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 12:24:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

@-OdieGreen-

Thank You.
View Quote

No sweat. Most people think 1-X LPVO’s are 1X that gets magnified so people overlook low end exit pupil. In reality most are 2-3X that gets reduced to 1X, so the objective divided by magnification formula doesn’t work the same as it does for higher magnification optics. (When you see a 1.25-1.5X LPVO they typically don’t use reduction and are true native magnification.)

And I will say outright that I can’t say this optic is bad as I’ve never had my hands on one. The physics of optics are impossible to escape but sometimes there are tweaks you can do that can make them anomalies. Additionally if you plan to use it as a DMR role or such, that 1X eye box might be worth the trade off for your use.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 3:34:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

@-OdieGreen-

Thank You.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
1X exit pupil and you.

@-OdieGreen-

Thank You.

Agreed
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 2:15:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
As far as where it’s made I don’t know.
View Quote

CHINA
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 6:13:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yet more Chinesium.
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 11:57:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 12:09:49 PM EDT
[#25]
I will say that I'm glad someone finally put in .1 mil adjustments in a budget 1-10 when almost everyone else are going with 1/2 moa and .2 adjustments.
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 12:12:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 3:00:17 PM EDT
[#27]
10x on the top end in SFP kind of sucks and that’s coming from someone who shoots a 1-8 SFP as a primary
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 3:49:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 3:56:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I think the 10X top end is fine personally.  In the Army the sniper rifles when I was in had either 10X40 or 3.5-10x40 optics and we shot to 800 meters often with them successfully, sometimes out to 1000 meters.    Those had resolution about the same as this optic.

In 04-05 the New York 2-108? guard Designated marksmen I replaced in Samarra had some documented 800meter kills from the Samarra offensive in November 04 with M14's and 3 or 4 power ACOGs, showing that 800meters can be done with 4X.

I will admit that I sort of thought it would have been cool to pull a 4.5-14x50 off a XM107 and put it on an M24, but I never did that, and today 14.5" 6.5's and 16" .308's are common and have a shorter range emphasis than the M24 at more like 650meters or closer, and that's territory where 10X is totally fine.
View Quote

Do you like having 10x for a 400 yd target though?  If it’s SFP, your hashes/drops are only accurate at 10x.  I’d rather dial down to only 6x so I don’t lose so much FOV.
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 4:08:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Do you like having 10x for a 400 yd target though?  If it’s SFP, your hashes/drops are only accurate at 10x.  I’d rather dial down to only 6x so I don’t lose so much FOV.
View Quote

I know I will be on 10x when taking a 400+ yard shot, but I would never own an LPVO with 10x on top.
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 4:10:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 12:18:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
@PacNW5 There is a feature in this optic that harkens back to Vietnam (Redfield ART TEL) and the shooter can bracket some known size objects at 4X to range 400 meters, 5X for 500meters etc, however this optic would be more of a dial elevation deal unless you then zoomed to 10 afterward to use the mils for holds.  Or I suppose you could zoom to 5X and each half mil will represent one mil, because the image is 1/2 size- that could be a theoretical way to use the mil scale at a lesser power than 10.  Example at 5X if you need 2.5 mils, hold 1.25 on the scale.
View Quote

Zooming to 5X would be an interesting idea to test. It seems like you'd have to be dead on with your magnification lever though in order to be precisely 1/2 size. That seems hard to do in practice.
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 1:07:19 PM EDT
[#33]
It is $382

That is your biggest clue.  I hate to be the one that explains there is no Easter Bunny or Santa Claus.  But, you are going to get a pure crap 1-10x scope for this price.  

Consider it a test.  "You can't cheat an honest man."  

Because an honest man knows you don't get something for nothing.
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 7:49:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 8:58:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I’ve been conversing with them about the scope for almost a week in the industry forum.
I’ve never owned a 34mm tube or a second focal plan optic.

Today my decision was made somewhat easier.
Griffin is running a weekend Father’s Day sale of 15% sightwide.
Coupon code is DAD24.

I thought it lucrative enough I was planning on posting in TEAM.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/467962/IMG_0519_jpeg-3240599.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/467962/IMG_0518_jpeg-3240601.JPG

As far as where it’s made I don’t know. I do have several years experience with their mounts and silencers.
If you follow the industry forum it’s very apparent that the owner (former sniper) wouldn’t just relabel something for a buck. It also has some great feedback from long range shooters.

Griffin backs all their products and I don’t see them going away anytime soon.
View Quote

Sub $400 1-10?

That’s a rebranded Chinese OEM clone.
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 8:59:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

edit- An etched reticle is also important to me.

edit- Scoping AR was bad analogy because it’s going on an M1a.
sorry for the confusion but it did berth a good discussion.
View Quote

Razor isn’t Chinese.
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 9:44:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 9:57:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-razor-hd-gen-iii-1-10x24-riflescope+reticle-EBR-9~MOA

Is this $3999 optic what you are talking about?  Is it relevant to compare a $3999 MSRP optic to one that is $450 as if spending 9 times as much money should be considered a blessing to the customer?  Do they give you your name on a wall tile at the Vortex headquarters for buying that or what is the intangible value to ego? Last I looked you could get a Leupold MK5 made in USA for $2100 with illumination in a 2-10.  I can see some pride in that.

I'm busy comparing a South Korean DN Solutions CNC machine to a Japanese Mazak machine this week, of a similar axis combo and size, and the price difference is 32% additional cost $245K to $323K on the base machine before high pressure coolant, and bar feeder, and I'm having a hard time seeing the Japanese machine as a great idea.  The concept of putting that much value in the Japanese is amazing to me, and I think they do great stuff.   In the case of the machine it weighs 30% more and that's considered a good idea because the machine is more rigid, but 10,000 more lbs at $3.60 stainless prices is $36,000 of material, so it doesn't actually close the entire gap and leaves 42K in the cost of being Japanese camp.  There are other hidden costs- the DN solutions requires no additional employee training whereas the Mazatrol control would be a new control in the shop so everyone would have to learn the new control.
View Quote

I would rather have 6X LOW glass on the top end than 10X Chinese glass, any day of the week.

I’m not really going to take the bait on the whole “name on the wall” thing, but the Razor is a standard in the class for a reason.  Personally, it’s worth it to me with my needs to generally pay more for the incremental performance increases in a Kahles K16i, but I still have a couple of Razors on beater guns. Hard pass on the 1-10 because the optical qualities suck and there are a couple of very high quality1-8’s which surpass it in every meaningful way.

You can certainly make an argument as to why there’s a market segment for it, because there is.  But we both know performance isn’t the reason.
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 10:01:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 10:04:57 PM EDT
[#40]
The concept of putting that much value in the Japanese is amazing to me, and I think they do great stuff.
View Quote

It is all political posturing.  Peeps like to hate on China.  It was Japan that stabbed us in the back in 1941.  

Most folks can do fine with $300 glass.  Where there's going to be issues is with the eyebox, weight and light gathering ability.  This is why I stop LPVO's @ 6x on top.  If you need more than 6x to hit a target, you can probably get by without 1x on the low end, and have a lighter and brighter optic with a generous eyebox for similar money.  Piggyback an mrds and dump illumination and save even more weight.  I bet most members on here just drive to the range and set their guns on a bench so don't give 2 shits about weight.  Shoot only on sunny days and no worries about low light ability.  

It's all about priorities, or lack thereof  
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 10:07:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/21/2024 12:25:12 AM EDT
[#42]
I have no interest in a 1-10 (from anybody). You guys have always given me solid products and great customer service. I hope he takes you up on it. I can understand people's hesitancy. A 1-10 at that price point is pretty questionable, but I hope you prove them wrong.
Link Posted: 6/21/2024 8:25:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/21/2024 11:54:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Appreciate the well thought out advice.

It’s all in the details. It will replacing my Vortex Viper 2 x 10 on an M1a in EBR chassis.
Not a clone but it’s a ton of fun. From the bench!
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/467962/IMG_0522_jpeg-3240824.JPG
(My fault, no way you could have deduced that lol.)

Again, I appreciate the perspective.
View Quote

I have that scope and don't think that you'd be gaining anything with the griffin one.
Link Posted: 6/21/2024 11:55:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Another near-miss by PA
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Another near-miss by PA

You don't need a mrds on the 3x. The 5x sure, maybe.
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 1:20:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

You don't need a mrds on the 3x. The 5x sure, maybe.
View Quote

Perhaps, but in my case use the mrds is the primary with the prism mounted as close to the rail as as possible, regardless of X's.  The prism is for PID and the occasional long poke.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 3:58:10 PM EDT
[#47]
@Green0

Any specials coming up for the 4th of July? I need a SOB buffer and the 1-10 scope
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 6:03:48 PM EDT
[#48]
It's pretty amazing that anyone was able to make a 1-10x scope in the first place. It seems they made a lot of people realize 6x is about as high as you want to go on a scope that has 1x on the low end.

Maybe next people will start to re-examine the costs and benefits of giant main tubes on scopes that don't need to dial big elevations.

Replacing a Viper 2-10x on an M1A, particularly one in that chassis, with this scope makes about as much sense as a football bat, IMO. It might be an awesome scope for $382. I have no idea. But under these circumstances, that seems to me like a waste of $382. Which is kind of the problem with cheap optics in the first place. A lot of them turn out to just increase the overall price of good optics.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 1:13:03 PM EDT
[#49]
I'd love to see one of these in person.  I've run GA products for years and generally like everything I've purchased.  Very curious how these do.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 7:21:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top