Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2019 6:03:59 PM EDT
I read a little about M855A1 ammo. AFAIK, it is not available to civilians. Are any of the ammo companies planning to make it for us? If not, will it probably be made in the future for civilians?
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 6:10:10 PM EDT
[#1]
In its base form, its steel core ammo. No lead intended for its manufacture. Its enhanced penetration would be considered armor piercing, so not suitable for civilians.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 6:19:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I read a little about M855A1 ammo. AFAIK, it is not available to civilians. Are any of the ammo companies planning to make it for us? If not, will it probably be made in the future for civilians?
View Quote
When I got the brief from PEO Ammo, no, never will be available to civilians.

Proprietary bullet design, will not be offered to the civilian market.

We could not even give our unspent ammo to the British Army when I shot over there this summer.  We had to bring it all back with us.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 8:57:29 PM EDT
[#3]
If that is not an infringement, I don’t know what is.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 9:09:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Welcome to the land of the free, where some animals are more "free" than others.

OP, you can get it online if you're OK paying $1.50-$2 per round; I recommend getting enough to fill your loadout mags and then stockpiling the "nonrestricted" stuff en masse.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 11:05:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
In its base form, its steel core ammo. No lead intended for its manufacture. Its enhanced penetration would be considered armor piercing, so not suitable for civilians.
View Quote
But it's not steel core. It's core is compromised of a copper slug ;) How long before M855 surplus was available to civilians? It was adopted in what 1982?
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 11:16:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
But it's not steel core. It's core is compromised of a copper slug ;) How long before M855 surplus was available to civilians? It was adopted in what 1982?
View Quote
The law does not define the term "core".  Therefore its interpretation is left up to any official or judge who decides to make a ruling.  M855 is AP and was given the sporting use exemption.

I doubt M855a1 will be given an exemption in this day and age with mag bans and such being so popular.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 11:21:04 PM EDT
[#7]
M855A1 is also loaded very hot and would reign havoc on the cheaper AR brands out there.  We had multiple M4s have lugs sheer of the bolt after we swapped to M855A1.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 12:11:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
M855A1 is also loaded very hot and would reign havoc on the cheaper AR brands out there.  We had multiple M4s have lugs sheer of the bolt after we swapped to M855A1.
View Quote
I remember reading initial deployment of M855A1 being very very warm, but it seems they've dialed it back a bit. I get about 100 fps more from it depending on barrel length over m855.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 12:14:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The law does not define the term "core".  Therefore its interpretation is left up to any official or judge who decides to make a ruling.  M855 is AP and was given the sporting use exemption.

I doubt M855a1 will be given an exemption in this day and age with mag bans and such being so popular.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Citation? I'm unaware of any "exemption" for M855, it doesn't fit the wording of the law as it has a penetrator and not a core that is made entirely of any prohibited material. M855A1 would be filed similarly; this is like the ATF pressuring companies not to sell smoke grenades to the public. It's not illegal for us to purchase, own, or use, however it's ALSO not illegal to restrict its sale and make it difficult for us to obtain in the first place.

Quoted:
It hasn't been high-pressure in years. You either have prototype ammo, an old story, or shitty/worn-out bolts.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 12:14:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
That should be all fixed up now.  Bolt and barrel life from Mk18s was....interesting with the early stuff
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 2:19:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

M855 is AP and was given the sporting use exemption.  
View Quote
Sorry nope. M855 is an enhanced penetration round but not Armor Piercing. In fact it has very little similarity in construction to most AP rounds. No Tungsten, no steel core (just the tip ) no exposed tip, no solid projectile construction etc.
)
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 10:31:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 10:49:59 AM EDT
[#13]
@Dominion21

Quoted:
View Quote
Plenty of equal or better (depending on requirements) options available on the civilian market.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 11:38:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Citation? I'm unaware of any "exemption" for M855, it doesn't fit the wording of the law as it has a penetrator and not a core that is made entirely of any prohibited material. M855A1 would be filed similarly; this is like the ATF pressuring companies not to sell smoke grenades to the public. It's not illegal for us to purchase, own, or use, however it's ALSO not illegal to restrict its sale and make it difficult for us to obtain in the first place.
View Quote
ATF considers the original M855 to be Armor Piercing.

They issued a ruling on October 31, 1986 exempting it as "Suitable for Sporting Purposes".

Link to ATF Letter
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 12:21:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the replies, all.
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 9:32:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
IIRC the bullet is a proprietary design. If the designer doesn't want it sold to civilians that's not an infringement.
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 1:05:56 AM EDT
[#17]
All the above. However some skilled, private, boolit maker will be able to make whatever he needs and maybe make trades etc. Very little talk about M80A1 and THAT IS the boolit  you want.
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 5:41:24 PM EDT
[#18]
^ Yep it's basically a level IV armor threat, and it will at subsonic speeds penetrate a III+ UHMWPE plate :D M855A1 will only poke through the back
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 8:16:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
^ Yep it's basically a level IV armor threat, and it will at subsonic speeds penetrate a III+ UHMWPE plate :D M855A1 will only poke through the back
View Quote
Can't wait to see what it can do in a supersonic .300 BLK loading
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top