Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 220
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 7:02:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Old girl got a face lift this week. The CMR is the shit!

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 7:07:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 7:23:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CastorTroy:
yeah it is  

http://castor-troy.com/vortex/vortex3.jpg

What sling is that?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

VTAC MK2
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 8:34:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Mk12 Mod Holland recce in the making.

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:04:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By CastorTroy:
yeah it is  

http://castor-troy.com/vortex/vortex3.jpg

What sling is that?
View All Quotes

I like them both, but Castor - how do you like the Vortex and what specific model is it? What reticle and dial setup?
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:33:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By Morg308:
I like them both, but Castor - how do you like the Vortex and what specific model is it? What reticle and dial setup?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Morg308:

It's a Viper PST 1-4 MRAD w/tactical zero stop turrets and their TMCQ reticle. P/N is PST-14ST-M
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:41:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By RTUtah:

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r249/RTUtah/ARs/Holland_zps1d3f717b.jpeg
View Quote

Love the paint job. Background is cool too.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:58:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By RussellAthletic:
View All Quotes

Thanks. My granddad's old WWII footlocker.

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 11:12:35 PM EDT
[#9]

View All Quotes

Nice. Missed the pic - can't wait to see the finished product. You're going to wipe all the paint off though right?
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 12:22:56 AM EDT
[#10]
thanks for schooling me, i know nothing about cans.   Other than that I know they are most effective at defeating sound when a round is subsonic.  So when you shoot normal pressure rifle rounds it's perhaps more about reduction of flash and some sound, but obviously not a "silencer".  Anyways....  There are probably other benefits and i'm probably not explaining it well.  I have never felt the need to have one, but I would frickin love one.  I'm poor though.  LOL.  

an old pic:

Link Posted: 9/6/2014 2:09:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Eirikr] [#11]

View Quote

^ THIS!
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 6:23:39 AM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/6/2014 11:49:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By JJREA:
thanks for schooling me, i know nothing about cans.   Other than that I know they are most effective at defeating sound when a round is subsonic.  So when you shoot normal pressure rifle rounds it's perhaps more about reduction of flash and some sound, but obviously not a "silencer".  Anyways....  There are probably other benefits and i'm probably not explaining it well.  I have never felt the need to have one, but I would frickin love one.  I'm poor though.  LOL.  

an old pic:

http://images1.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp355%3Enu%3D3235%3E392%3E252%3EWSNRCG%3D323498%3B375%3A5%3Anu0mrj
View Quote

Theyre also the best at eliminating muzzle flash signature.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 12:49:40 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

Looks good. What brand of paint did you use for the dark brown? I've tried two Aervoe ones that were not dark enough.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 1:02:03 PM EDT
[#15]

Originally Posted By StealthGuy:
Looks good. What brand of paint did you use for the dark brown? I've tried two Aervoe ones that were not dark enough.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By StealthGuy:

Thanks y'all.

All my painting is done with Rustoleum camo; I think they call it Dark Earth or something like that. You'll know it when you see it.

Link Posted: 9/6/2014 1:35:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nfafun] [#16]
ETA: OK. Wasn't Recce in that configuration. Ooops
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 8:44:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Not sure this completely fits, but what they hey.

Link Posted: 9/6/2014 8:54:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chenault] [#18]
I posted this in the MK12 thread, but I guess it could go here too.

CtSmshr, your rifle routinely gives me a hard on.

</a>" />
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 9:32:15 PM EDT
[#20]
BCM SS410 Recce upper.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 9:32:19 PM EDT
[#21]

Originally Posted By chenault:

http://<a href=http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d23/pcrunnels/IMG_0382_zps9cffad8a.jpg</a>" />
View Quote

So sick, so sick.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 10:13:48 PM EDT
[#22]
That's high praise coming from you sir.  I've watched your rigs for years.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 10:33:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Hydra-shokz:

Not Recce.
View Quote

Not even kind of Reece.  You forgot to offset or mount a scope under that T-1
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 10:54:22 PM EDT
[#25]

That's high praise coming from you sir.  I've watched your rigs for years.
View Quote

Hell I don't know about all that, but thanks. Seriously though, that Holland is beautiful. Bought my glass today. Still need the LT mount, brake/collar, and for my can to get approved. And my barrel is five weeks out.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 10:55:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chenault] [#26]
Thank you, still it needs some wear.  Natural wear of course not the artificial kind.  

Where did you get your barrel from?  I feel your pain on the wait for the suppressor.  I still have 6 months myself.  I really wish that the e-file didn't go down.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 11:45:52 PM EDT
[#27]

Thank you, still it needs some wear.  Natural wear of course not the artificial kind.  

Where did you get your barrel from?  I feel your pain on the wait for the suppressor.  I still have 6 months myself.  I really wish that the e-file didn't go down.
View Quote

Ordered a Bison barrel before they could mark them out of stock. And I'm pretty sure mine was paper filed too, but I doubt the wait will be that long. Hang in there.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 1:39:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dog_dad] [#28]

Apparently this photo is from the Alabama Maersk hijacking. Evolution of the short recce (10.5") or perhaps it's a 14.5" with a reflex suppressor?
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 2:04:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AR-Ryan21] [#29]
View Quote

Care to share some how to details on this paint job? I'm finally gonna take the jump into painting a rifle. This is the look/color scheme I am interested to do. I'll be starting with an all black rifle, is that a problem?

ETA - I'm going for a kryptek nomad/banshee pattern look.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 10:06:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By patriot_man:
https://33.media.tumblr.com/cd3b6db77e2aa3befcc0d6332165ac9f/tumblr_nb9yd6Yei81tl3jndo1_1280.jpg

Apparently this photo is from the Alabama Maersk hijacking. Evolution of the short recce (10.5") or perhaps it's a 14.5" with a reflex suppressor?
View Quote

I believe that's a 10.5" HK416. I think the can is an M4-2000, but difficult to tell from the graininess of the pic.

Where'd you find that? Pretty cool.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 1:21:44 PM EDT
[#31]

Originally Posted By AR-Ryan21:

Care to share some how to details on this paint job? I'm finally gonna take the jump into painting a rifle. This is the look/color scheme I am interested to do. I'll be starting with an all black rifle, is that a problem?

View All Quotes

Yeah man, no sweat. All my guns start out as black; I don't buy FDE parts because I know I'm gonna paint them.

1. Mask everything you don't want painted

2. Lay your lightest color down first

3. Take your stenciling (grass, mesh, etc.) and your darkest color, and shoot your streaks

4. Go back with your lighter color and fog it again with your stenciling

5. Go back with all your colors and fill in and blend anywhere you see too harsh of a color contrast; I like my paint jobs to have softer edges

6. Set to dry and unmask it

I generally only use two colors: FDE and khaki. When I shoot FDE over khaki, it darkens the khaki, which is why I finish with the khaki because it helps blend it all in and gives me the full range of color in those two spectrums.

Next time I do an entire rifle, I'll take pics of the entire process and label them for everyone.

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 1:24:40 PM EDT
[#32]

https://33.media.tumblr.com/cd3b6db77e2aa3befcc0d6332165ac9f/tumblr_nb9yd6Yei81tl3jndo1_1280.jpg

View Quote

That rig looks a little long to be a 10.5" but it's tough to tell. I recall reading in Mark Owen's book how he had two of everything, including two 416s: one set up for entry work, and a second 14.5" job set up as a recce. Dom Raso has also said as much on Instagram a few times, IIRC.

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 2:38:23 PM EDT
[#33]

http://<a href=http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d23/pcrunnels/IMG_0382_zps9cffad8a.jpg</a>" />
View Quote

Thanks, I must say that rifle you posted is giving me simalair issues!

Moved the DBAL to my Block II to use with the m3x and dual switch. I really can't express how much I love the CMR, and the accessories. It really is awesome!
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 2:49:30 PM EDT
[#34]

Yeah man, no sweat. All my guns start out as black; I don't buy FDE parts because I know I'm gonna paint them.

3. Take your stenciling (grass, mesh, etc.) and your darkest color, and shoot your streaks
5. Go back with all your colors and fill in and blend anywhere you see too harsh of a color contrast; I like my paint jobs to have softer edges

I generally only use two colors: FDE and khaki. When I shoot FDE over khaki, it darkens the khaki, which is why I finish with the khaki because it helps blend it all in and gives me the full range of color in those two spectrums.

Next time I do an entire rifle, I'll take pics of the entire process and label them for everyone.

View All Quotes

Thanks. Now to decide which stenciling to go with, and try to figure out which colors to use for a kryptek nomad type color scheme.

Probably won't hurt to watch a how to video as well prior.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 2:55:37 PM EDT
[#35]

Thanks. Now to decide which stenciling to go with, and try to figure out which colors to use for a kryptek nomad type color scheme.

View All Quotes

Honestly, painting is something a lot of people overthink. I once tried to mix OD-green into my scheme but it just didn't work well, so I dropped it and I just use khaki and FDE now. And I'm a BIG fan of the mesh patterning, but I just use a small swatch and reposition it as I move along.

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 2:59:20 PM EDT
[#36]
What particular paint do you use?

I do dig the FDE and Khaki. I may just start there.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 3:05:12 PM EDT
[#37]

What particular paint do you use?

I do dig the FDE and Khaki. I may just start there.
View Quote

Rustoleum. I was flirting with the idea of finding a lighter green to use to give it a DCU theme but I'm quite content with how it looks with just two colors. And again, fresh khaki has a different shade than khaki that's had FDE fogged over it, so there's plenty of shades to experiment with.

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 3:21:47 PM EDT
[#38]
I use the Rustoleum camo colors from Home Depot. Khaki, Dark Earth (almost like Daniel Defense RIS II color), and some olive. I really like the contrast between khaki and the dark earth. Works well with the mesh.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 3:49:45 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

Good picture.  Thats probably what most modern RECCE setups look like.

Dangerdan posted this in the Mk12 thread, I don't know if it got cross posted here or not but this fits the classic idea of an early RECCE.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 3:51:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Mblades:

Dangerdan posted this in the Mk12 thread, I don't know if it got cross posted here or not but this fits the classic idea of an early RECCE.
http://aliastraining.com/images/products/detail/A_3_k.jpg
View All Quotes

HAHAHAHA! That's Daryl...where did you get that picture?
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 3:54:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By MRF54:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MRF54:

From the Mk12 thread. pg595
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 4:29:58 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

I think it's a 10.5"  

Here's a 14.5" for reference:

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 4:32:28 PM EDT
[#43]

Originally Posted By StevieJ309:
I think it's a 10.5"  

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac108/SJasper84/unnamed-1.png
View All Quotes

I think it's a 10.5"  

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac108/SJasper84/unnamed-1.png

Dom's rail is shorter, and the rig patriot_man posted looks to have a different rail, possibly a G?

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 4:38:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Now that I look at it some more along with some pics on google, I think it is indeed a 14.5".  Could be a G rail as well, but it's too hard to tell for sure.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 6:55:28 PM EDT
[#45]

I think it's a 10.5"  

<a href="http://s890.photobucket.com/user/SJasper84/media/unnamed-1.png.html" target="_blank">http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac108/SJasper84/unnamed-1.png</a>
View All Quotes

I think it's a 10.5"  

<a href="http://s890.photobucket.com/user/SJasper84/media/unnamed-1.png.html" target="_blank">http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac108/SJasper84/unnamed-1.png</a>

Grippod... And one of them mutant lefties as well...  Is it just my imagination or are left handed people among shooters represented out of their proportion to the general population?
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 7:12:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Bartholomew_Roberts:
Grippod... And one of them mutant lefties as well...  Is it just my imagination or are left handed people among shooters represented out of their proportion to the general population?
View Quote

I've wondered about that as well - though it could simply be that people talking about or asking about left handed modifications and issues tend to be more distinctive than the vast majority that you never really hear talking about, or having problems with a righty-favoring configuration.

I can't say I've ever really tried to do a statistical analysis on the issue.  

That being said, I'm pretty sure the guy with the 14.5" '416 and Grippod is holding that rifle with his right hand.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 7:15:36 PM EDT
[#47]

Originally Posted By Augee:
I've wondered about that as well - though it could simply be that people talking about or asking about left handed modifications and issues tend to be more distinctive than the vast majority that you never really hear talking about, or having problems with a righty-favoring configuration.

That being said, I'm pretty sure the guy with the 14.5" '416 and Grippod is holding that rifle with his right hand.  

~Augee
View All Quotes

~Augee

Yeah what's all this lefty discussion about?

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 7:22:13 PM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes

~Augee

Looked like his RMR was on the left side, which would only make sense if he was a lefty; but looking closer it seems I just was wrong and it is actually right side mounted.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 7:25:12 PM EDT
[#49]

View All Quotes

~Augee

I'm confused as well, but for the sake of conversation...    It could be an eye dominance issue. I'm right handed, but left eye dominant so I shoot rifles leftie. Pistols I'm able to shoot with both eyes open so I can still use my right hand.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 9:02:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WE-06] [#50]
That guy is Dom Raso, and I am 99.9% sure he is right handed.

Edit: Nor do I believe it has anything to do with eye dominance, I think it is just the picture. The RMR appears to be angled to the right from what I can tell.
Page / 220
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top