Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2024 2:22:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Herd51]
Hey all, this is my first post. So I'd like to formally say "Hello".

I am relatively new to the retro game. I've somehow managed to build an A1/XM16E1 style rifle in NJ(go figure) and I am really interested in finding a vintage carry handle style scope to add to it. I've done some research and that's what brought me here. Just looking for some advice in locating a carry handle scope thats actually worth buying! Id like to avoid the Brownells colt scope if possible. Anyone have a plug for a vintage Hakko or CMO scope or like such?!

All advice is welcomed

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 8:29:24 PM EDT
[#1]
https://www.brownells.com/optics/scopes/rifle-scopes/ar-15m16-colt-4x-retro-carry-handle-scope/

Several photos of various units using Colt 3X carry handle scopes
on rifles that were being used in VietNam during the War.

The Brownell's version is adequate for your purpose.

Link Posted: 8/29/2024 6:16:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Really hoping I can locate a CMO or Hakko carry handle mounted scope. I've read nothing but good things. And I'm willing to pay for it it too!

Just can't seem to find one...
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 3:05:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you looking for a clone scope or just something for a fun plinker?

If you aren’t set on clone/ish scope most of primary arms prism scopes work well in a carry handle.
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 3:42:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a Hakko in the early 2000's, the glass was just ok. IMO, I wouldn't take one over a modern Brownell's version with improved glass & coatings.
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 4:45:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Herd51:

I am relatively new to the retro game. I've somehow managed to build an A1/XM16E1 style rifle in NJ(go figure) and I am really interested in finding a vintage carry handle style scope to add to it. I've done some research and that's what brought me here. Just looking for some advice in locating a carry handle scope thats actually worth buying! Id like to avoid the Brownells colt scope if possible. Anyone have a plug for a vintage Hakko or CMO scope or like such?!

All advice is welcomed

Thanks in advance
View Quote

Why are you so dead-set on avoiding the Brownells/Colt repro? It has the vintage style you're looking for and updated internals (glass, coatings, etc), or at least so they claim.
I've been initially happy with mine, though it's from before they got Colt on board, and the first few magazines it's held up so far.
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 6:43:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I pretty sure most ACOGs can be mounted on a carrying handle.
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 10:13:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By twistedcomrade:
I pretty sure most ACOGs can be mounted on a carrying handle.
View Quote

Came here to say that.

Just ACOG it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 4:42:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Herd51] [#8]
Originally Posted By RifleCal30m1n00b:

Why are you so dead-set on avoiding the Brownells/Colt repro? It has the vintage style you're looking for and updated internals (glass, coatings, etc), or at least so they claim.
I've been initially happy with mine, though it's from before they got Colt on board, and the first few magazines it's held up so far.
View Quote

That's a fair enough question, and I'll try to answer it as best as I can...

I've been looking around here and there and it seems as if folks prefer the vintage made scopes as opposed to what is being produced these days. You know the age old saying..."they don't make em like this anymore!" Or "things are made as well as they used to be"

But thanks for your input on the Brownells scopes. Any information is always appreciated
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 10:26:21 PM EDT
[#9]
The problem with used scopes is that they’re used

With original ones you’re going to pay a premium and there’s always the chance to get a damaged one unless you can inspect closely & try it.

With the Brownells ones you’ll get a nice warranty just in case…
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 2:41:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Frens:

With original ones you’re going to pay a premium and there’s always the chance to get a damaged one unless you can inspect closely & try it.

View Quote

That's also true. Definitely a good point about the warranty!! I didn't think about that. This is why I asked. Thanks for the info/advice
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 2:42:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Frens:

View Quote

That's also true. Definitely a good point about the warranty!! I didn't think about that. This is why I asked. Thanks for the info/advice
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 2:54:46 PM EDT
[#12]

I've been looking around here and there and it seems as if folks prefer the vintage made scopes as opposed to what is being produced these days. You know the age old saying..."they don't make em like this anymore!" Or "things are made as well as they used to be"

But thanks for your input on the Brownells scopes. Any information is always appreciated
View Quote

ACOGs/PA MIcro prisms are gonna blow those older ones out the water in durability, glass clarity, reticle, illuminated reticle. Are you looking for a specific clone for a clone rifle?
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 5:51:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Caeser2001:

ACOGs/PA MIcro prisms are gonna blow those older ones out the water in durability, glass clarity, reticle, illuminated reticle. Are you looking for a specific clone for a clone rifle?
View Quote

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction to find a vintage Hakko short scope/carry handle mount, a CMO or even one of the IDF Eyals. I have an A1 build that I'd like to finish. I know they are hard to find these days, but it's also important to know where to look. Any info is appreciated. Thanks for the reply!
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 8:53:55 AM EDT
[#14]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

All advice is welcomed

Thanks in advance

Same here. I have the one before the Colt logo and it's a great little scope for the money. I've always wanted one since almost buying a used Colt Soorter with the Colt scope on it while working at a pawnshop. Now I have the Brownells on my Sporter. Very happy with it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 11:06:05 AM EDT
[#15]

View All Quotes

That’s completely the opposite of reality.  Modern scopes are better than vintage scopes, assuming a quality modern scope (not done UTG crap off Amazon).

An ACOG is a fantastic optic.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 11:30:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By AeroEngineer:

That’s completely the opposite of reality.  Modern scopes are better than vintage scopes, assuming a quality modern scope (not done UTG crap off Amazon).

View All Quotes

This.

Modern glass is leaps and bounds better than the old stuff.
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 11:16:01 AM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

Fair enough. I appreciate your opinion on the matter.

Taking the advice I've been given in this thread into consideration, I decided to do some looking around online and I think I may have found something that might fit what I'm looking for. Both in performance and look.

Anyone have experience with Primary Arms?  Specifically the Slx Gen III?
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 3:20:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hodgescl] [#18]

Taking the advice I've been given in this thread into consideration, I decided to do some looking around online and I think I may have found something that might fit what I'm looking for. Both in performance and look.

View Quote

I have two of the all micro prisms, great glass for the money and the 3x is Goldilocks for still being able to shoot both eyes open on close stuff. It’s also nice to be able to adjust the focus to your eyes. I’m cheap and they are the best glass I have. My biggest test is if I still can use it at dusk when some scopes significantly darken what you see. With these if I still have enough light to see something I can see it through the scope. Also keep an eye out for open box/Blem sales. Saved over $100 one one of them.

Can’t speak for gen 3 but I have an older one and the glass isn’t as good at dusk and isn’t as flexible illumination wise with the new ones (lowest setting is too bright for lower light shooting).  Still a good scope and tough as hell. There are videos of them being beat up, submerged, frozen in blocks of ice, and still being good to go.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 1:04:40 PM EDT
[#19]

View All Quotes

If you’re talking about the prism scopes, they are solid options.  I have a 3X micro prism snd I’m very happy with it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 6:34:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Herd51] [#20]
Originally Posted By hodgescl:

I have two of the all micro prisms, great glass for the money and the 3x is Goldilocks for still being able to shoot both eyes open on close stuff. It’s also nice to be able to adjust the focus to your eyes. I’m cheap and they are the best glass I have. My biggest test is if I still can use it at dusk when some scopes significantly darken what you see. With these if I still have enough light to see something I can see it through the scope. Also keep an eye out for open box/Blem sales. Saved over $100 one one of them.

Can’t speak for gen 3 but I have an older one and the glass isn’t as good at dusk and isn’t as flexible illumination wise with the new ones (lowest setting is too bright for lower light shooting).  Still a good scope and tough as hell. There are videos of them being beat up, submerged, frozen in blocks of ice, and still being good to go.
View Quote

Thank you for the heads up about the open box/blem sales!

Obviously I will be attempting to mount this on my A1 carry handle. One of the cool things about the carry handle scopes is the ability to still use your iron sights. Any way to mount the 3x prism from PA and accomplish that? Doesn't appear to have that "see through" capability on the mount that comes with it.

Basically, does anyone know of a mount that is compatible with these prism scopes that can allow the shooter to use the iron sights as well?
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 9:26:14 PM EDT
[#21]

Thank you for the heads up about the open box/blem sales!

Obviously I will be attempting to mount this on my A1 carry handle. One of the cool things about the carry handle scopes is the ability to still use your iron sights. Any way to mount the 3x prism from PA and accomplish that? Doesn't appear to have that "see through" capability on the mount that comes with it.

Basically, does anyone know of a mount that is compatible with these prism scopes that can allow the shooter to use the iron sights as well?
View Quote

I have not but found the mbus pro offset irons work great for that.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 10:53:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hodgescl] [#22]
They come with carry handle spacer with the hole for irons.or at least one of mine did. They also have carry handle mount kits separate.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 11:09:55 PM EDT
[#23]
I have the Brownells carry handle scope on my rifle. Its an OK scope for glass quality. I have it mounted on my Windham 20 inch Gov't model. Its on the detachable carry handle, I know I could mount a different scope right to the receiver but I like having the Iron sight as bavk.up.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 1:06:10 AM EDT
[#24]

ACOGs/PA MIcro prisms are gonna blow those older ones out the water
in durability, glass clarity, reticle, illuminated reticle. Are you looking for a specific clone for a clone rifle?
View All Quotes

ACOGs/PA MIcro prisms are gonna blow those older ones out the water
in durability, glass clarity, reticle, illuminated reticle. Are you looking for a specific clone for a clone rifle?

Except in his first post the OP said he jumped through the NJ hoops to build something close to an A1/XM rifle and wanted a sight to match. Doesn't matter if an ACOG or a PA (or any other) Micro is "better."

OP, I'd go with the Brownells if you don't want to pay the price originals are bringing.  There's an original in the EE (not mine), but it's not cheap.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 9:51:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Strela:

Except in his first post the OP said he jumped through the NJ hoops to build something close to an A1/XM rifle and wanted a sight to match. Doesn't matter if an ACOG or a PA (or any other) Micro is "better."

OP, I'd go with the Brownells if you don't want to pay the price originals are bringing.  There's an original in the EE (not mine), but it's not cheap.
View Quote

Yes sir. Those NJ hoops are pretty small to squeeze through! But I managed to get it done. She's a beauty. I named her June after the month I finally finished the build haha.

I'm actually quite torn to be honest. I really want to finish the build with a period correct optic but I've got a buddy who's been in my ear about prism scopes and the quality/performance enhancement they can offer. Who knows, maybe I'll finish this one off with a Brownells or a vintage if I can find one for the right price, and then get a more modern AR and mount a prism on that. Only time will tell.

Once again, thank you for the advice/info
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 10:04:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Sixgun357:
I have the Brownells carry handle scope on my rifle. Its an OK scope for glass quality. I have it mounted on my Windham 20 inch Gov't model. Its on the detachable carry handle, I know I could mount a different scope right to the receiver but I like having the Iron sight as bavk.up.
View Quote

I was very close to pulling the trigger on the Windham Gov't model. Beautiful rifle! But I decided to build one myself. Ended up getting my XM/A1 style rifle finished for about 800 and two local shops had a few Windhams on the shelf. One had a used Windham Gov't A1 with a Brownells scope mounted on it listed for $1,700(🙄) and the other had a Windham A2 build listed for $1300 brand new out the box.

I am happy with my decision so far
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top