Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 6:51:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here's a question - the descriptions I've read of the 14.5" say with the muzzle device overall length is > 16".  Does this device come pinned and welded, or is that something I'd need to  have done to make a 14.5" legal to mount on a regular lower without a stamp?
View Quote
I just bought one of the 14.5 in uppers a couple weeks ago.  FH is not pinned and welded, so you either have to use it on an SBR or pistol lower.  Fortunately I have both.  Have only taken mine to the range once, functioned fine.  Seems like the price has dropped a bit since original release, which is why I bought.  I like it better than the retrofit superlative arms piston I  run on another rifle.
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 7:10:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I wish the barrels were chrome lined.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 1:00:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a 12.5 sbr.  Too much back pressure with my gemtek trek to shoot anything but wolf.  M193 causing bolt to lock open with rounds in the mag.  Runs awesome without the can.
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 6:18:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the 16” upper and it shoots great with a H2 buffer, ejection is around 4-5 o’clock
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 1:33:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Any recommendations for a well fitting lower?
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 7:29:38 AM EDT
[#6]
I have an Anderson lower.  Colors match pretty well and no wobbles.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 5:20:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Wolf T91 12" Upper in use since March 2019. Standard carbine spring with H1 buffer works well with Wolf poly and Wolf Gold. 1800-2000 rounds so far with no failures.

First cleaning today and what stood out is the fit & finish of the BCG … especially compared to an Adams Arms BCG. Wolf uses no spring behind the bolt like the AA does.
Wolf carrier looks like it has a parkerized finish that is not real smooth at all. The slick finish on the AA carrier is like glass so I would expect much less drag and potential for binding.
Rem Oil doesn't seem to make the finish any slicker, it is real dry to touch. There are some signs of finish wear on contact points so those were polished up just a little.

The dimensions of the BCG's match up almost identically and I was tempted to replace the Wolf BCG with the AA assembly but then decided that "no failures = no changes".

Take a look at the photos - these were taken after wiping off the BCG with shop rag.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 1:09:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Wolf T91 12" Upper in use since March 2019. Standard carbine spring with H1 buffer works well with Wolf poly and Wolf Gold. 1800-2000 rounds so far with no failures.

First cleaning today and what stood out is the fit & finish of the BCG  especially compared to an Adams Arms BCG. Wolf uses no spring behind the bolt like the AA does.
Wolf carrier looks like it has a parkerized finish that is not real smooth at all. The slick finish on the AA carrier is like glass so I would expect much less drag and potential for binding.
Rem Oil doesn't seem to make the finish any slicker, it is real dry to touch. There are some signs of finish wear on contact points so those were polished up just a little.

The dimensions of the BCG's match up almost identically and I was tempted to replace the Wolf BCG with the AA assembly but then decided that "no failures = no changes".

Take a look at the photos - these were taken after wiping off the BCG with shop rag.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/73999/IMG_5400_jpg-1205188.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/73999/IMG_5401_jpg-1205189.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/73999/IMG_5402_jpg-1205190.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/73999/IMG_5403_jpg-1205192.JPG
View Quote
For a design with military roots, this isn't actually too bad, IMO.  Just means I might soak my BCG in a vat of CLP or something for a bit so that it slicks up or absorbs some of the oil, if only for my own peace of mind.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 11:35:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I posted this in my own thread, but thought that it might get more views here

I went out with a friend of mine to zero his Wolf upper on a Palmetto lower.

The scope mounted is a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6 x 24, trigger MBT 1S (not impressed, the ALG ACT is much better and cheaper. Larue did well with the MBT 2S but the 1S isn't that great). All shots were taken from an Outers Varmiter Rifle Rest in a 100 yard culvert to eliminate the impact of any wind.

We shot four different types of ammo. None of them gave very impressive results. I made sure that the scope rings and mount were tight.

Should this rifle do better than this? Did he get a sub par rifle?

Should match ammo do better than this at 100 yds?
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 8:26:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Box doesn’t provide good perspective. It looks to be about 1.5-2” groups?  Acceptable to me for ball ammo.

As far as match......some guns just don’t like match.  I have a 1-7 twist premium barrel that loves 55 grain but slings 77 all over.

Heck. Dads colt Hbar shoots 69 ppu into tiny little holes, but slings federal 69 Sierra match kings into 3” patterns......
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 9:44:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I recently got a 14.5 inch upper, with the intention of doing a T91 clone.

Test fired it 2x this week, ran about 180 rds through it.  Some issues with the first 25 rds or so.  (Failure to feed for the first couple, understandable with a brand new upper due to the stupid heavy buffer and spring combo I use in my SBR lower, rest were failures to lock back on an empty mag) but flawless after that.  Looked pretty accurate as well, getting 1-1.5 inch groups at 50 unsupported with M193 ball.  Went to clean it after todays range session, and prep it to be shipped off to have the correct gas block installed and the correct FH pinned and welded.  Pulled HG's to wipe down the barrel and the barrel rotated 90 degrees to the left.  Barrel extension was stationary.

Needless to say I'm a bit disappointed.  Called Wolf, they directed me to call Steve at SDS Imports.  Will update with the resolution.

That said, I really like the upper design.  Its very simple, and really easy to clean.  And both myself and the Wife like shooting it as well.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 12:46:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Looks like T91 Tactical is selling "Slim Profile Chrome Lined Barrel" T91 uppers in 12.5, 14.5, and 16". Anyone have any experience with them?
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 12:57:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Does anyone know the names of the actual companies in Taiwan that make the T91 mags and other parts like the upper receivers, etc..
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 12:33:20 PM EDT
[#14]
205th Arsenal.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 3:06:29 AM EDT
[#15]
I used T91 Tactical 14.5 heavy barrel and parts (gas block, piston assembly) to build a T91 using regular AR15 upper receiver.
Getting 1.18 MOA with 69 SMK gr handloads. (Varget 23.7 gr, OAL 2.260)

Build pictures below

All my T91
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 8:40:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Best group for Wolf A1

1.7 MOA, other grouping is around 2-3 MOA.

Group seemed always open up with a flier...
the other heavy barrelled T91 is modified from green mountain 14.5 mid-length barrel.

Its best accuracy is 1.14 MOA, also with handloads

Oh, I like VG6 very much!
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 10:04:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Looks like T91 Tactical is selling "Slim Profile Chrome Lined Barrel" T91 uppers in 12.5, 14.5, and 16". Anyone have any experience with them?
View Quote
No, but doubling the price to $1k for those uppers seems pretty wild.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 11:17:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Considering hes making correct profile, chrome lined barrels, importing components, and assembling true clone uppers for not much more than what youd spend to convert a wolf a1 to a near clone,  it's not a bad deal tbh.

And I dont think he will have the quality issues that seem to occur with the wolf uppers.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 2:00:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Considering hes making correct profile, chrome lined barrels, importing components, and assembling true clone uppers for not much more than what youd spend to convert a wolf a1 to a near clone,  it's not a bad deal tbh.

And I dont think he will have the quality issues that seem to occur with the wolf uppers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's pricey, but may be a good option for long term use. I'd be interested in accuracy potential as well.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 12:11:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Tag
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 3:23:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Considering he’s making correct profile, chrome lined barrels, importing components, and assembling true clone uppers for not much more than what youd spend to convert a wolf a1 to a near clone,  it's not a bad deal tbh.

View Quote
I hear ya. I think I don’t see the value from a shooting perspective IE the 100% price increase won’t be evident in its shoot ability. I guess from the perspective of cloning dang near anything, getting it just right is going to be $$$$.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 6:14:13 PM EDT
[#23]
So I ended up purchasing an upper from T91 Tactical not long ago. I emailed asking if they can pin/weld an XT97 flash hider/comp on a 14.5" upper along with installing an MLOK handguard and was pleasantly surprised when they added the options on the website for me to do so. I also ordered the simple rear sight along with a T91 magazine to complete the package. Upper came in not long after along with a couple of T91 pens Build quality is outstanding to say the least and definitely nicer than the original Wolf A1 upper I received years ago. From a weight perspective, the 14.5 balances better and despite the heavier barrel profile, doesn't feel as nose heavy as the Wolf.

I temporarily slapped it on a PSA pistol lower I had and was only able to put ~100 rds of Federal bulk .223 through her before the CCP virus shut the range down. With irons, I was managing about 1-1.5 moa at 50 yards through the heavy profile, chrome lined barrel. I'm still in search of a proper optic and thinking an EOTech XPS 2-0 might be it. The iron sights sit at an odd height compared to the standard AR so not sure what will co-witness well. Also contemplating throwing a light and pressure pad, but we'll see. I've seen purchased a dedicated BCM lower from a member here and it fits quite well.

So far though, I'm very happy with it and look forward to shooting it a ton once this quarantine lifts.

Link Posted: 4/16/2020 10:58:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Bought one of the 12.5" T91 uppers from Classic Firearms. It seems to play nicely with a standard AR carry handle.

I have a 14-slot section of polymer pic rail coming in; I'm going to modify it to fit the #8 x32 helicoils on top of the handguard so I can mount a light. I have a bunch of compatible screws since it turns out Keymod accessories use this thread pitch...

Link Posted: 4/17/2020 8:34:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Did you swap the flash suppressor or did it come with the A2? My 12.5 is on the way and I have been thinking of going with the Mini comp to maximum shortness
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 9:00:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I recently got a 14.5 inch upper, with the intention of doing a T91 clone.  

Test fired it 2x this week, ran about 180 rds through it.  Some issues with the first 25 rds or so.  (Failure to feed for the first couple, understandable with a brand new upper due to the stupid heavy buffer and spring combo I use in my SBR lower, rest were failures to lock back on an empty mag) but flawless after that.  Looked pretty accurate as well, getting 1-1.5 inch groups at 50 unsupported with M193 ball.  Went to clean it after todays range session, and prep it to be shipped off to have the correct gas block installed and the correct FH pinned and welded.  Pulled HG's to wipe down the barrel and the barrel rotated 90 degrees to the left.  Barrel extension was stationary.  

Needless to say I'm a bit disappointed.  Called Wolf, they directed me to call Steve at SDS Imports.  Will update with the resolution.  

That said, I really like the upper design.  Its very simple, and really easy to clean.  And both myself and the Wife like shooting it as well.
View Quote

Same thing happened to me. I called and Steve was very helpful. He sent a UPS label and had it back to my door in under 2 weeks. They replaced the barrel.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 10:43:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Did you swap the flash suppressor or did it come with the A2? My 12.5 is on the way and I have been thinking of going with the Mini comp to maximum shortness
View Quote

I swapped the flash suppressor.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 10:34:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Got an EOTech XPS 2-0 thanks through the EE here. Lower 1/3 co-witness.

What kind of buffer and spring combo should the 14.5 run? H2 and Springco Blue ok?
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 12:36:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Would an A2 stock with a standard rifle buffer and spring be OK?
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 11:18:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Finally picked up a 12.5"
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 12:01:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Are these full auto compatible??
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 6:30:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Bought one of the 12.5" T91 uppers from Classic Firearms. It seems to play nicely with a standard AR carry handle.

I have a 14-slot section of polymer pic rail coming in; I'm going to modify it to fit the #8 x32 helicoils on top of the handguard so I can mount a light. I have a bunch of compatible screws since it turns out Keymod accessories use this thread pitch...

https://personal.visualitymedia.com/personal/ar15/t91_1200.jpg
View Quote

Which Carry Handle brand did you buy - T91 Tactical? I want to go that way as well.
Any front post issues?
Thanks
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 11:35:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Which Carry Handle brand did you buy - T91 Tactical? I want to go that way as well.
Any front post issues?
Thanks
View Quote

It's a standard AR carry handle off a Colt LE6921 upper. No front sight issues as I typically use a 6-o'clock hold with irons.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 11:46:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Anyone try shaving down one of these gas blocks so a ffl rail could be used?
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 1:15:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Are these full auto compatible??
View Quote

Yes, check this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25lIfWPBdEo
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top