Link Posted: 4/22/2006 6:16:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/22/2006 6:19:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/22/2006 6:23:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
So, What is thg deal with the pistol mag pouches?  I know Stick said they open backwards, so does that mean the attachment point is at the back (right next to the wearer)?  If so, yeah, WTF?

There have been several people who have asked if I would include the pistol mag pouches on the group buy, and due to the way they are built, I will not.  If I think something is total garbage, I wouldn't let me friends use it, nor would I recommend it to anyone else.  The backwards design of their pistol mag pouch prevents a user from completing a one handed reload, and forces the user to use two hands.  The idea of having a pistol in one hand, and using it to grab gear is simply horrid, and is begging for an accident.  

To be blunt, it sucks.

Stick, thank you a hundred times for posting this, you just saved me money.  I was looking at the CTD website for a couple of things I'd like to add to the carrier, namely pistol magazine and handcuff pouches, that aren't in the group buy.  Looks like I'll check and see if I can get a deal on SpecterGear or BHI for those.
Link Posted: 4/22/2006 7:45:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The pouch is an ideal size for this but when I attach the pouch to the vest and try to lift the flap on the pouch, the entire pouch lifts off of the vest making it very difficult to release the velcro.  The straps on the back of the pouch aren't long enough to go through two levels of the molle webbing on the vest.

When you are threading the molle, weave over and under each layer.  This will keep it very tight to the carrier, and will prevent it from lifting.  If the straps are long enough to snap shut, they will work when used this way.

If it makes you feel any better, I threaded my gear the wrong way when I first played with molle, and felt like an idiot when I saw how it was actually done.....

This is from Tactical Tailor's 2005 catalog.  It's shown with malice clips, but the procedures the same.

Link Posted: 4/23/2006 5:39:07 AM EDT
[#5]
While I will agree with Stickman that the double magazine pouches suck, I want to know why you say they will only work two handed?

How are you using the pouches so that you need two hands? I have (had) one mounted on a belt, and you just yank up on the tab, fold the top flap out of the way, and grab the magazine. No need for two hands.
I hate them because the velcro on the back doesn't have enough purchase to be secure, and the pistol magazines flop left and right too much when you move. Plus the opening method seems counter intuitive.

Stick, I know you use your gear everyday, so I trust your statement, but I'm curious to your technique with this piece of equipment.
Link Posted: 4/23/2006 9:19:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Tag for more info!
Link Posted: 4/23/2006 9:24:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Have any of you guys seen this:  http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MOLLE138-44934-1978.html
I am interested in this particular piece and wondering if anybody has purchased this particular item.  I like that it has room for about four mags built right in.  It also has an attached hydration pouch, just add your own bladder.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2006 10:00:06 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
OK. Mine just showed up.

Over all the construction seems like it will hold up for my purposes, but it as one glaring design flaw.

If you look at this picture where the sides overlap you can see it.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/Dump1567/CTD6.jpg

The part that over laps curls up so that all the velcro won't engage. They didn't make allowences for all the padding in this thing. They needed to make the top layer of material longer (1/2" - 1") so that it would wrap over the padding.

Other than that I'll be happy as long as it fits standard Soft armor inserts.

I just love how this OD seems brownish.  Why does it look that way?  Is it in the reflectivity of the webbing or Nylon or what?  I really like it and will have to change my order to OD if it looks like this in person...
Link Posted: 4/23/2006 10:36:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/23/2006 10:41:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/23/2006 12:05:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quick question before I head over to the group buy thread:

From page 1:

Quoted:

Back of carrier.  The handle actually velcros to the back unless pulled.

Does that mean that the drag handle actually just velcros onto the back of the carrier?  Or does the drag handle "handle" portion have some velcro on it that keeps it low profile?

ETA a few more Q's:

Wearing this thing, how small is the neck opening?

Has anyone tried running it without padding or soft armor (just plates)?

Has antone tried running the carrier sans mags in the side pockets?

Link Posted: 4/23/2006 12:19:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/23/2006 12:30:32 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

When you say neck size, what measurement are you looking for?

I was looking for something of a subjective appraisal like: "I can't believe I got my balloon-size head through the opening" or "This rubs like a sonuvagun, and I have a neck like a giraffe".  

Thanks for the answer on the other q's (where you could).
Link Posted: 4/23/2006 12:34:03 PM EDT
[#14]
So what's the ETA stick?  I'm just sitting here holding my hard earned money, yearning for yet more tactical gear.....
Link Posted: 4/23/2006 12:55:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/23/2006 1:27:37 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When you say neck size, what measurement are you looking for?

I was looking for something of a subjective appraisal like: "I can't believe I got my balloon-size head through the opening" or "This rubs like a sonuvagun, and I have a neck like a giraffe".  

Thanks for the answer on the other q's (where you could).

The opening is adjustable.  I have no problem throwing it over my head while wearing glasses.  Unless you superwide, I don't see a problem.
Link Posted: 4/23/2006 1:55:48 PM EDT
[#17]
DUMP POUCH REVIEW

I think the Dump Pouch is also well thoughout (or copied).  

It will hold 5 30 round AR mags:

Closed with mags and mag-puls:

Below is the piece that snaps into the mouth of the pouch.  It has an overlapping elastic opening.  It's great for retaining mags or allowing you items to be removed without spilling out (ie. shotgun shells).  The only thing I wish this pouch had, was a piece of velcro to keep the flap open while in use.  I guess you could always sew-on a piece or fold the flap back.
Link Posted: 4/23/2006 8:20:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Has anyone tried the various smaller pouches, such as the Utility Pouch, EMT Pouch, Shotgun Pouch, Gas Mask Pouch, etc..?

Reviews?  Are they too big, too small, do they flop around, hows the construction look ??

Link Posted: 4/23/2006 8:39:48 PM EDT
[#19]
tag
Link Posted: 4/24/2006 4:11:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Would loose rounds of .22LR stay in there too, or would they be too small?  Coud you grab a handful through the opening?  Thanks for the review!

Quoted:
DUMP POUCH REVIEW

I think the Dump Pouch is also well thoughout (or copied).  

It will hold 5 30 round AR mags:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/Dump1567/Dump1.jpg

Closed with mags and mag-puls:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/Dump1567/Dump2.jpg

Below is the piece that snaps into the mouth of the pouch.  It has an overlapping elastic opening.  It's great for retaining mags or allowing you items to be removed without spilling out (ie. shotgun shells).  The only thing I wish this pouch had, was a piece of velcro to keep the flap open while in use.  I guess you could always sew-on a piece or fold the flap back.
img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/Dump1567/Dump3.jpg

Link Posted: 4/24/2006 7:05:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Has anyone been able to get some range time on the CTD Armor Carrier? My only concern was the buckle near the shoulder as it might get in the way of a rifle stock while shouldering. Anyone have any experience with this??

Other than that it looks like a damn decent training setup for sure.

The Molle 138 also looks like a nice setup as well. Anyone have that vest that can provide feedback?

Semper Fi,
M60-E4

Link Posted: 4/24/2006 7:13:04 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Would loose rounds of .22LR stay in there too, or would they be too small?  Coud you grab a handful through the opening?  Thanks for the review!

Yes, .22LR will work.  The elastic overlaps.  The downside is the size of the pouch.  It's pretty large and weight may be an issue if filled to capacity.
Link Posted: 4/24/2006 7:58:29 AM EDT
[#23]
I got behind my sniper rifle with it on and the stock fell just to the outside of the buckle.  I had the same concern but it worked ok for me.  Everyone's a little different so YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/24/2006 5:32:32 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm very interested in getting one of these. Have a couple questions about it though. The vest appears to be a "one-size fits all". Does it adjust out to fit XL (46-48in chest) guys? Also, which of the mag pouches (M4 or AK) would fit a M14 sized mag best?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/24/2006 5:37:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/24/2006 5:43:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/24/2006 6:18:37 PM EDT
[#27]
This CTD MOLLE gear looks really good at first look, but when you use it in the field it wears VERY quickly and poorly.  The material is in no way equivelent to Cordura or similar US material.  I'll post a new thread with pics showing how my CTD gear worked out tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/24/2006 8:23:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Trying to decide between the OD or Coyote Tan. Anyone have a decent color photo of the Coyote Tan? I think CTD photos have too much light so I can not really tell what the CT looks like. I love the color below but the pic is supossed to be OD, but I am pretty sure it is Coyote.

CTD AD

Semper Fi,
M60-E4

Link Posted: 4/24/2006 8:47:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Glad I found this thread, I sent off for one earlier today in OD green.

Thanks for the feed back.

TG
Link Posted: 4/24/2006 9:09:43 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
This CTD MOLLE gear looks really good at first look, but when you use it in the field it wears VERY quickly and poorly.  The material is in no way equivelent to Cordura or similar US material.  I'll post a new thread with pics showing how my CTD gear worked out tomorrow.

LINK??????

thanks

caseyleao
Link Posted: 4/24/2006 11:09:43 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LINK??????

thanks

caseyleao

+1 please...

`45
Link Posted: 4/25/2006 4:17:47 AM EDT
[#32]
TAG
Link Posted: 4/25/2006 11:55:19 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LINK??????

thanks

caseyleao

+1 please...

`45

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=10&t=198042
Link Posted: 4/25/2006 5:10:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Ok just got mine in today.

Here is my review.  All material was in Black.

Carrier:
Very well constructed for Communist Child Labor (Not that Commie Child Labor is worse than any other child labor)
While it fits me, I had to do some loosening.  There seemed to less room than my Eagle Plate Carrier (L/XL).   btw I'm 5'9" 218lb.  So that should give you some idea.  If you are my height and weigh more, you "might" want to reconsider.

M4 Dual Mag Pouches
Very well constructed.  Stiching was pretty good for child labor (hehe).  
Holds 2 Mags per pouch with no problems.
Snaps seem to unsnap at times.  Mainly if you are pulling the pouch away from the carrier.  Otherwise they seem like they would stay snapped.
HERE IS THE RED F*CKING ALERT!!!!!
ON ONE OF THE M4 MAG POUCHES (these were dual pouches) THERE IS A GIANT WTF CHEAPER THAN DIRT LOGO IN BRIGHT RED!!!!!  
Sorry for the caps, but I wanted to make sure I got your attention.  No other pieces of material had this logo on but the M4 Mag Pouches.

Pistol Pouches
These were not bad imo.  I know Stick didn't like the pouches, but I wasn't quite sure what the problem was.  Basically they are short versions of the M4 pouches in how they operate.  I personally don't mind how they work.  I can work it 1 handed no problems.  While I could thing of a great way that they should work, these still do the trick.

Hydration Carrier
Very well constructed.  Stiching was pretty good.  Everything was included so it was pretty good to go.  Attached firmly and securely.  Great Buy IMO.

Conclusion
I highly recommend this if you want a "cheap/non-authentic" carrier.  I would not use this for anything other than range time or emergency SHTF scenerio.

Last great thing was they included an extra Dual M4 pouch for free.  I don't feel I need an extra 4 mags on the carrier, but since it was free I might make use of it.

Going to ask Stick to confirm that there are no Ghey ass CTD logos on the pouches for the group buy.

Cheers.
Link Posted: 4/25/2006 5:21:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/25/2006 5:25:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Thanks again.  I'll see if CTD has any extra patches I can buy up.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2006 5:41:02 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Going to ask Stick to confirm that there are no Ghey ass CTD logos on the pouches for the group buy.

Cheers.

No.

I've tried to mention this a few times, but evidently its worth stating again.  This gear is not coming from CTD.  Its possible that CTD is getting the same gear, and putting their own label on it, but I have no way of knowing for certain.  It may look similar, but the group buy is not coming from CTD.  Not even one little piece.  None, no, nadda, zip.

The only "Ghey ass CTD logos" that would be on it is if you put it on yourself.  It won't arrive that way from us.

Hopefully that clears it up a little.

Damnit!  I thought if we signed up soon enough, we'd get the red CTD at no additional cost!!
Link Posted: 4/25/2006 6:27:51 PM EDT
[#38]

THERE IS A GIANT WTF CHEAPER THAN DIRT LOGO IN BRIGHT RED!!!!!

The seal of a quaility product.  That's what a seam ripper is for.
Link Posted: 4/26/2006 3:41:54 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Conclusion
I highly recommend this if you want a "cheap/non-authentic" carrier.  I would not use this for anything other than range time or emergency SHTF scenerio.

Why would you decide to use marginal quality gear for an emergency situation that your life might depend on?

TimW
Phoenix
Practical Tactical, LLC and
Assaultvest.com
Link Posted: 4/26/2006 4:22:21 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Conclusion

Why would you decide to use marginal quality gear for an emergency situation that your life might depend on?

TimW
Phoenix
Practical Tactical, LLC and
Assaultvest.com

I already stated I have higher quality stuff.  My point was that if someone could not afford a $500+ circas with pouches, this is a great alternative.   You can get a complete system with pouches for less than $150 which is quite lower than the $500 circas with no pouches.
Link Posted: 4/26/2006 4:34:47 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I already stated I have higher quality stuff.  My point was that if someone could not afford a $500+ circas with pouches, this is a great alternative.   You can get a complete system with pouches for less than $150 which is quite lower than the $500 circas with no pouches.

I misunderstood the "I wouldn't use it..." phrase.  My bad.
Link Posted: 4/26/2006 6:33:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/26/2006 6:35:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/26/2006 11:56:55 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
We had a guy come in the shop to buy some rifle plates and that was the vest he brought in. It was in a desert camo pattern and it wasn't very well made. He had worn it 2x and the stitching was coming undone in several places. Also, there was closed cell foam (like you use for shipping fragile items) sewn in to the vest (!), it had to be cut out before the SAPI plates would go in right. Wearing that type of foam in your vest here in AZ (or anyplace that isn't cold) is a sure way to get heat exhaustion (Armor is hot enough). I assume the foam is ballistic rated to stop 6mm plastic pellets (Airsoft).

The bottom line is that this is "Air Soft" armor and anyone buying this for "Real" use (like you might actually need it to save your life) is doing so at their peril.

These vest only come in tan,od green and black.

TG
Link Posted: 4/27/2006 1:21:44 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
We had a guy come in the shop to buy some rifle plates and that was the vest he brought in. It was in a desert camo pattern and it wasn't very well made. He had worn it 2x and the stitching was coming undone in several places. Also, there was closed cell foam (like you use for shipping fragile items) sewn in to the vest (!), it had to be cut out before the SAPI plates would go in right. Wearing that type of foam in your vest here in AZ (or anyplace that isn't cold) is a sure way to get heat exhaustion (Armor is hot enough). I assume the foam is ballistic rated to stop 6mm plastic pellets (Airsoft).

The bottom line is that this is "Air Soft" armor and anyone buying this for "Real" use (like you might actually need it to save your life) is doing so at their peril.

These vest only come in tan,od green and black.

TG

And the foam panels aren't sown in, in fact they are nylon covered foam panels. I don't think these are the same thing.

I in no way think these things are as good as the real thing, but as long as when I take it by TimW's and find that it fits real armor then it will work as a fine host till I buy the real thing.
Link Posted: 4/27/2006 9:57:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/27/2006 3:20:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/28/2006 11:47:50 AM EDT
[#48]
Mine came in  today, already installed kevlar panels & plates, installed what pouches I have on hand,blackhawk medic pouch, radio pouch for my 2m ham radio.

Right now waiting on 30rd mag pouches & handgun mag pouches and utility pouch.

HSGI modular dump pouch, waiting on response from seller.

Also a multi pocket butt pack.

Over all, seem  to be well made  enough to hold up to much use, but I have mine for SHTF.

Im sure their better made gear to be had, but this is a excellent knock off & serves it purpose nicely.

Will post pictures once my other pouches get here.

Im a gear buff, have many loading bearing vest set ups to use for summer spring and winter months.

Always wanted a CIRAS set up, but couldnt see paying that kinda money on something that want be used much if any. (like to note, I bet this will hold up as good as any blackhawk gear)

TG
Link Posted: 4/28/2006 1:59:22 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Mudbug...come by the shop and I'll show them to you...yes, it was covered with nylon, but the stuff inside was the same crappy foam used for shipping stuff... the Vest came from Shootersworld....

On my way.....
Link Posted: 4/28/2006 8:21:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Got mine last last week but with a new baby i just got around to setting it up with some second chance IIIA panels and some SDS pouchs last night. I took it out last night for a run and jumping around session and it didnt shift too bad. Seems pretty solid for 60 bucks. My question is this: How do you guys silence all that velcro noise?
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top