Quoted:

Done, thanks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Didn't work, my homemade press borked up the holes on the freeze plugs, couldn't keep everything centered. Got one that turned out pretty good and the proceeded to get it stuck in the sd tube after messing up the threads. So I've got a bunch of borked up freeze plugs, and a trashed tube. I'm going to cut and crush all the bad parts and wait till I can get a jig like the ebay one. If anyone has a line on one send me a pm.

Send the guy on eBay a message, tell him I sent you.  Ask for a good deal and tell him your situation that you tried.

Done, thanks.

Wow

Just a FYI, the guy on eBay selling the freeze plug forming tool is a class act. I talked to him via IM. I told him I was looking for the tool, he sent me a note telling me to use the Make An Offer option and he would charge me the old price, $10'cheaper than the price of the new sets of tools. On my iPad i couldn't make an offer, it kept locking up. So I hit the buy it now and let him know it was all good. Jim credited my paypal $10 because that's what I had "locked in" as a purchase price.

Jim is gtg. Once I form my plugs I'll list the forming tool as a borrow tool. But really, buy from Jim, he's good people.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 1:36:05 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Wow

Just a FYI, the guy on eBay selling the freeze plug forming tool is a class act. I talked to him via IM. I told him I was looking for the tool, he sent me a note telling me to use the Make An Offer option and he would charge me the old price, $10'cheaper than the price of the new sets of tools. On my iPad i couldn't make an offer, it kept locking up. So I hit the buy it now and let him know it was all good. Jim credited my paypal $10 because that's what I had "locked in" as a purchase price.

Jim is gtg. Once I form my plugs I'll list the forming tool as a borrow tool. But really, buy from Jim, he's good people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Didn't work, my homemade press borked up the holes on the freeze plugs, couldn't keep everything centered. Got one that turned out pretty good and the proceeded to get it stuck in the sd tube after messing up the threads. So I've got a bunch of borked up freeze plugs, and a trashed tube. I'm going to cut and crush all the bad parts and wait till I can get a jig like the ebay one. If anyone has a line on one send me a pm.

Send the guy on eBay a message, tell him I sent you.  Ask for a good deal and tell him your situation that you tried.

Done, thanks.

Wow

I ended up buying one as well. Earlier I had asked him when he was getting more in stock - so he PM'ed me tonight with the same offer you got.

Link Posted: 1/11/2015 5:48:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Wow

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Done, thanks.

Wow

Meh, he filed a patent preventing people from selling similar product.  No new invention there.  Just leeching off of free info.  I wouldnt buy from just because of that.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 4:11:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I was able to test fire the suppressor this weekend, and it functioned better than expected.

Due to the weather and time restriction I had, I didn't get to take a video or measurements of db reduction, but really just wanted to test the function. Next time I go I will take measurements, videos, and compare to other cans.

It functioned flawslessly and reduced factory 308 hunting ammo and 55gr fmj 223 to sound like a 22lr. No hearing protection needed.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 5:07:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Good to hear man!
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 5:27:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Good to hear man!
View Quote

Or good NOT to hear.......
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 7:45:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Very cool, I appreciate the info and intend to join the fun. Couple of rudimentary questions: Any drawback to using copper tubing for spacer material?

Second, what about forming the spacer cone the other way? Away from the 'cup' so it would be more funnel shaped? Is there a known drawback to that?

Thanks again
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 1:05:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I was able to test fire the suppressor this weekend, and it functioned better than expected.

Due to the weather and time restriction I had, I didn't get to take a video or measurements of db reduction, but really just wanted to test the function. Next time I go I will take measurements, videos, and compare to other cans.

It functioned flawslessly and reduced factory 308 hunting ammo and 55gr fmj 223 to sound like a 22lr. No hearing protection needed.
View Quote

Shot mine yesterday 300 blackout 190 gr SMK subsonic handloads sounded like a pellet rifle. Had my buddy stand to the right of me around 3.5 feet away on the ejection port side it measured
95 DB using the JL Audio app on mt phone.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 1:39:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Who'd you use for engraving?

Since you're kinda local and all...
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 2:00:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Who'd you use for engraving?

Since you're kinda local and all...
View Quote

I used firearmengraving.com since they are doing some other projects for me.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 3:03:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Which end cap did you use for the D size titanium tube?
I see your parts list and it says "OPTION TWO D size maglite non-anodized"

But in the description it says "Option two does not work for the SDTA tubes."
Is this incorrect?
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 3:05:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I encountered the same problem with the o-rings not going in the tube. They would just compress and still be visible. I took the cap on and off a few times then one slipped into the tube. The other one i just pressed like this with my nail around the entire o-ring and it went in the tube. The caps lock up tight. I don't see them backing out under use but we'll see. If so I'll do the tap/set screw fix. I only submitted my e-file form 1 on the 5th so I still have atleast a month to go before I can start forming my plugs and test firing it.

Link Posted: 1/12/2015 3:13:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Is this incorrect?
View Quote

I used the aluminum anodized, option 1.  It works with the SDTA tube.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 3:20:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is this incorrect?

So am I correct in assuming that under Option #1 that if it doesn't specify C-cell that it is D-cell sized?
Just trying to be 100% clear before I submit my order.
Thanks for your help.

Link Posted: 1/12/2015 3:22:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

So am I correct in assuming that under Option #1 that if it doesn't specify C-cell that it is D-cell sized?
Thanks for your help.

http://i62.tinypic.com/335dvus.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is this incorrect?

Thanks for your help.

http://i62.tinypic.com/335dvus.jpg

I assume so, but you may want to double check with Amy.

When I placed my order I did over the phone because the Ti tubes were not on the website yet.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 9:01:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I encountered the same problem with the o-rings not going in the tube. They would just compress and still be visible. I took the cap on and off a few times then one slipped into the tube. The other one i just pressed like this with my nail around the entire o-ring and it went in the tube. The caps lock up tight. I don't see them backing out under use but we'll see. If so I'll do the tap/set screw fix. I only submitted my e-file form 1 on the 5th so I still have atleast a month to go before I can start forming my plugs and test firing it.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e363/lostman518/6572A6E2-8800-42AD-B99F-4F829E440E4A_zpsmbyktl9p.jpg  
View Quote

What endcaps did you order?

That doesn't look like the ones that Esstac or I have.

It appears he changed the aluminum endcap design slightly.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 10:10:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e363/lostman518/6572A6E2-8800-42AD-B99F-4F829E440E4A_zpsmbyktl9p.jpg  

He was going to shorten the ends like that on the "next batch" he said after I sent the diagrams back in September or October of last year.  That change made it to the Carbon Steel ones right away because they were not produced yet at the time.  Reduced OAL, reduced weight, cutting off waisted material.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 11:00:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have the same endcaps that are in the picture and I got them from sdta
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:16:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:24:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

He was going to shorten the ends like that on the "next batch" he said after I sent the diagrams back in September or October of last year.  That change made it to the Carbon Steel ones right away because they were not produced yet at the time.  Reduced OAL, reduced weight, cutting off waisted material.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Something else must have changed if the O Rings dont fit anymore. The thread relief probably isn't as deep
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 1:08:20 AM EDT
[#21]
The o-rings fit fine. They just need a little muscle. I can't tell a difference in the relief size between the SD caps and the stock mag lite cap and I don't have a set of calipers to check it. I have the 7.8" Ti tube from SD. Or atleast when I ordered it it was 7.8" now the site says 7.6" and mine measures 7 9/16". Go figure. My caps were also ordered at SD. Order was placed 1/5.

From left to right, end cap with no hole, 1/2x28 adapter, SDTA brake adapter, and stock mag lite cap. All aluminum.

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:06:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The o-rings fit fine. They just need a little muscle. I can't tell a difference in the relief size between the SD caps and the stock mag lite cap and I don't have a set of calipers to check it. I have the 7.8" Ti tube from SD. Or atleast when I ordered it it was 7.8" now the site says 7.6" and mine measures 7 9/16". Go figure. My caps were also ordered at SD. Order was placed 1/5.

From left to right, end cap with no hole, 1/2x28 adapter, SDTA brake adapter, and stock mag lite cap. All aluminum.
<a href="http://s43.photobucket.com/user/lostman518/media/773D47EE-9591-4F03-BEC9-60DD6E2DC076_zpsppcakiut.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e363/lostman518/773D47EE-9591-4F03-BEC9-60DD6E2DC076_zpsppcakiut.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s43.photobucket.com/user/lostman518/media/F36C297C-57F9-4F7A-90D3-72FE2D8006BC_zps1fxrq7nn.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e363/lostman518/F36C297C-57F9-4F7A-90D3-72FE2D8006BC_zps1fxrq7nn.jpg</a>

View Quote

That looks mostly like what I discussed with him last year,except I think there may be an issue with the threaded section as it does not not appear very deep.  It could be how the picture taken though.  On his orginal design the threads and the entire solid portion were longer than the actual barrel threads.  It was suggested to cut the thread section back to the proper length for the barrel threads and cut a pocket in the area between the outside and the threaded area to cut back on weight and add volume.  From the picture is difficult to tell if the threaded area is to short, or if is long enough but the pocketing was not done.  In any case looks like a improvement.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:41:23 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
That looks mostly like what I discussed with him last year,except I think there may be an issue with the threaded section as it does not not appear very deep.  It could be how the picture taken though.  On his orginal design the threads and the entire solid portion were longer than the actual barrel threads.  It was suggested to cut the thread section back to the proper length for the barrel threads and cut a pocket in the area between the outside and the threaded area to cut back on weight and add volume.  From the picture is difficult to tell if the threaded area is to short, or if is long enough but the pocketing was not done.  In any case looks like a improvement.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

snip

Just measured it. The threads on the 1/2x28 adapter are .375 deep. They feel like they're sturdy enough. I feel if you were to cut a pocket around the 1/2x28 threads any knock to the suppressor could bend or torque the threads and ruin the adapter.

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 1:39:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Not for nothing, but how do you like the SD brake. I'm thinking of going with this instead of the griffin due to price and I like the ACME thread idea better. Is the machining good etc. Does the adapter and tube stay tight on there pretty well. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 1:45:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Not for nothing, but how do you like the SD brake. I'm thinking of going with this instead of the griffin due to price and I like the ACME thread idea better. Is the machining good etc. Does the adapter and tube stay tight on there pretty well. Thanks.
View Quote

I like it, and seems to work great.  For the price I'm buying them for all my AR's.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 3:36:54 PM EDT
[#26]
I just wanted to say thanks to the OP for taking his time to produce such a quality write-up.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 4:30:52 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I like it, and seems to work great.  For the price I'm buying them for all my AR's.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The machining and finish were above my expectations. The cap locks up very tight to the taper mount. I like it. I'll be buying more mounts for my other guns.

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 4:13:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The machining and finish were above my expectations. The cap locks up very tight to the taper mount. I like it. I'll be buying more mounts for my other guns.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks guys, I'll be going with this option as well then.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 6:45:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Excellent write up, I just read all 4 pages.

I do wonder though:  how much time did it take to built it?  

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 7:21:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Once you have everything and know what to do it only takes an hour or two.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 8:47:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Got my stamp today, have my tube and endcaps ready to go, got a 12 pack of the freeze plugs tonight from Napa for $5, and have a cone of some kind that someone linked in one of the threads on the way from Amazon to hopefully make nice 45 degree cones. I think I have decent spacer material in the shop. Ready to build this thing!

Anyone know how big the bore should be for 5.56?
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 7:18:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lots of opinions out there, but for me I would go .281 or 9/32 bit.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:45:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Is it generally accepted that the aluminum end cap OK for a 5.56 or 7.62 can, using either the Ti or carbon steel tube? In my head it just seems like the carbon steel end cap is the only valid option, but I guess by the time you get past all the baffles most of the "damage" has been done?

BTW...anybody want to pick up on the idea of renting the forming tools out for a low price? Anybody that's willing to could just add a note to a post and then eveything could be handled through IMs.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:57:40 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks, I'll try that.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:20:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Is it generally accepted that the aluminum end cap OK for a 5.56 or 7.62 can, using either the Ti or carbon steel tube? In my head it just seems like the carbon steel end cap is the only valid option, but I guess by the time you get past all the baffles most of the "damage" has been done?

BTW...anybody want to pick up on the idea of renting the forming tools out for a low price? Anybody that's willing to could just add a note to a post and then eveything could be handled through IMs.
View Quote

I might be able to help out some forum members by renting mine out. Let me see this week after my next order arrives with the final parts I need from SDTA. Gotta check to ensure everything goes together correctly.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 5:51:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Titanium or steel/stainless I would put in the preferred category for an endcap, but an aluminum one will be fine and lighter.  If you are not going to be Ramboing your can then no reason not to use aluminum if you choose, it is not going to magically fail and if its struck by a bullet you have other issues and its probably going to do the same to any other material.

My 8" SD tube has an aluminum endcap and griffin adapter, I have the ability to change them to 17-4 stainless or Titanium and have not felt the need.  It works and is lighter.  This can is meant for 300 but has seen 556 but I do not do more then one or two mag dumps through it at a time.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:35:46 AM EDT
[#37]
The "stronger and slightly longer" freeze plugs that are shown in the orange packaging. Is there a source for those? I searched for that part number at NAPA and didn't see it.

I'm assuming neither of the options in the OP are stainless steel since they just say "steel".

Nevermind. After searching and reading a little more, I answered both of my own questions.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:39:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Question for anybody using the ebay FP forming kit. I haven't bought any FPs, yet...so I'm not sure exactly the material thickness & strength. I see people using a bench vise or a hydraulic press. I also thought I remembered somebody saying they used a c-clamp (maybe with something else to assist?).

My question is, would it be possible to do this with a small 2-3lb sledge. Lots of tapping, not one big smack. Figured it won't cost much to try one, just wondered if anybody else has attempted it. I'm almost embarrassed to admit don't have a vise, much less a hydraulic press, but I do have a small sledge hammer (but I'm not getting out of bed right now to go verify how heavy it is.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:46:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Question for anybody using the ebay FP forming kit. I haven't bought any FPs, yet...so I'm not sure exactly the material thickness & strength. I see people using a bench vise or a hydraulic press. I also thought I remembered somebody saying they used a c-clamp (maybe with something else to assist?).

My question is, would it be possible to do this with a small 2-3lb sledge. Lots of tapping, not one big smack. Figured it won't cost much to try one, just wondered if anybody else has attempted it. I'm almost embarrassed to admit don't have a vise, much less a hydraulic press, but I do have a small sledge hammer (but I'm not getting out of bed right now to go verify how heavy it is.
View Quote

I'm the one who was able to pull of the C Clamp method, and my results were nearly identical to Esstacs when we used the same tools. Now he made his own forming tool on his lathe.

Wrench was used to increase the moment arm on the C Clamp

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:44:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Great work. Thank you.

For 5.56, I assume the minimum barrel length would be 16+ inches?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:45:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

As Grim had said, he did it with the C Clamp.

Personally, I've done it with the ebay tool using both Sealed power and Dorman plugs. I've also tried it with the Dorman plugs that are not made in the US and it works as well, but their quality isn't quite as nice as the US Made.

I've successfully formed them in my vice and using my 6 ton shop press. I've also been successful in drilling centering holes using both the ebay tool and the SD Tactical tool.

Yes, I bought all of the tools, despite not needing to. Mostly it was to see what would give the best results. To be honest it's all come out practically identical.

Because I have them all, I've been tempted to rent them out to people if there's enough interest. but I'd like to complete everything I have first, which should only be maybe another week or so.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:02:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Has anyone done a .45 caliber can?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:09:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm planning on one soon :)  Will probably be a larger OD can or something eccentric like the Osprey.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:43:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've got the materials to start my .458 socom build so I'll let you know when I get started.  Tube is 1.75" OD and I'll be using freeze plugs.  I had a custom centering tool made for my plugs.  It's going on a Wilson Combat and will be using the whisper "QD" interface.  Length will be 8-10"
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:06:49 PM EDT
[#45]
so the steel ends SDTA are shorter than the aluminum ones?
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 6:50:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Does anyone have an idea of how the durability of this can would compare to something off the shelf like an aac cyclone or m4-2000?
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 7:44:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is what I did and it sounds fine.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:59:13 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks guys. I formed my freeze plugs the other day, they all turned out to have between a .31 and .33 hole after forming.

Haven't drilled the endcap yet, but I'll use the 9/32nd there. Also still need to take .02 off of the OD of the spacer material so it fits in the tube, and then engrave the tube (I got a stamp set to try), and then mine should be finished.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 12:10:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Thanks guys. I formed my freeze plugs the other day, they all turned out to have between a .31 and .33 hole after forming.

Haven't drilled the endcap yet, but I'll use the 9/32nd there. Also still need to take .02 off of the OD of the spacer material so it fits in the tube, and then engrave the tube (I got a stamp set to try), and then mine should be finished.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really interested to hear how the stamping works  on the tube. Please report back if you can.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 12:34:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Tagging this.

Now to start saving some pennies...
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top