Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/15/2024 10:12:05 AM EDT
Howdy Gang
I use a Dillon Super 1050 to process brass on.
First station I have been using a Lee De-Capping die with a Squirel Daddy pin.
Problem is even when I tighten the heck out of it, it pushes up and case dose not get deprimed.
Any sugestions? It's a pain to have to stop and push decap pin down, pullout brass that did not get primer removed, and start up again.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 10:40:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Well I have Lyman spring loaded decapper.
But shit if I know if it's the best.
I understand there are others that use the spring loaded pin principles.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 11:11:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Metonymy] [#2]
FWArms.  All day everyday.  It's literally mind blowing.

It rips through berdan brass too.

I use it on my CP2000 that is automated and I can finally let it eat without breaking decapping pins every couple hundred rounds.

I'm only this passionate about the topic because of how happy I am to have found it.  It has been a game changer for me.

Berdan brass?  Punches right through.

And the automation in action.  I have their hold down die too for the swaging station.  Click for the in-action video.

https://imgur.com/a/L3tHUvc
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 11:15:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 12:04:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Retighten the Lee die with a decapped case inserted to ensure the SD pin is centered.

Link Posted: 6/15/2024 2:17:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Dang!
Never knew about FWArms.

Thanks Guys
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 2:20:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 2:25:31 PM EDT
[#7]
i like the mighty armory decaping dies. they can punch holes threw brass if needed.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 4:06:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I've not broken a Mighty Armory decapper yet.  Doubt I ever will.

I've bent/broken plenty of others though, without even trying.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 4:41:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 7:45:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I also have a Mighty Armory decapper. Mine also has the flicker to make the spent primers fully eject and not stick on the decapping pin. A must for automated machines.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 11:19:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: billyhill] [#11]
Changed from Lee to accommodate Lapua small flash holes. Mighty Armory has done great. Crimped primers no problem with the smaller diameter pin. Have not tried it on Berdan yet.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:29:02 PM EDT
[#12]
FW Arms. All day. Every Day. 8 days a week.

The mid level Mighty Armory versions are great for pistol cartridges  as well, just avoid their premium  decapping die which is almost  worthless.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:53:43 PM EDT
[#13]
blah blah blah
Everyone has said it
You want something that works?  FW or MA and be done with it.  
Sorry old Lee decappers, you were retired forever once I bought my MAs.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 12:15:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 8:29:32 AM EDT
[#15]
My 20 + year old RCBS keeps chugging along. Only replaced the pin once. Granted many of you reload much more then I do.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 8:33:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DancingBear] [#16]
Double hit:/
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 8:47:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
My Lee Universal decapper is still in use on the APP (original version) where it works well.

https://i.imgur.com/172vk9Dl.jpg

Shown here decapping 500 30-30 cases.

https://i.imgur.com/6hRWFiVl.jpg

But for the 1050, not so much.
View Quote

My issue was just wearing pins out.  Military brass with crimps in high volumes just kill the Lee pins, mostly just straight up wearing out the tips.  Even high volumes of pistol is hard on them.  
Sometimes you get one that will run 10000 pieces, sometimes you get one that makes it 500 at best.  
I went to a MA die when Wayne first released them.  I bought the die and 3 spare pins.  In 30000+ pieces Ive had to replace one decapping pin and thats only because I was stupid.
I do 99% of my decapping on a Lee APP with a case feeder now, but used to run it all thru the LnL.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 11:22:34 AM EDT
[#18]
I can't believe I just bought that FW decapper based on this thread... I'm so easily swayed....
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 12:28:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By ZA206:
I can't believe I just bought that FW decapper based on this thread... I'm so easily swayed....
View Quote

Sucker!

On a serious note, its money well spent for less aggravation.  Nothing is worse than breaking your rhythm doing an already crappy job with something effing up.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 1:10:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 1:21:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3] [#21]
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 11:48:07 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm on my original pin, bought Lee Universal die in 1997 and have decapped at least 100k cases. APP decaps fast as you know.

Like any decapper with a collet to secure the decapping stem, (Lee, Hornady) the secret is to tighten the collet just enough for decapping.

So decapping stem will slip up if a Berdan case, or off center flashole is encountered.

The other part of this is never "power through" when more than normal resistance is felt on the press handle.

My decapper will decap crimped case with no issue.

About a month ago I was decapping a 5 gallon bucket of 45 ACP when I felt something strange.

So I stopped and removed case from APP.

https://i.imgur.com/V9skW4Vl.jpg

What I found was a pebble in the case and if you look close at the rock you will see a light scratch mark on the center of the rock where decapping pin scratched it.

Since I stopped. found out the issue and didn't  "power through", no damage was done to the decapping pin.

View Quote

Im not disputing the fact you can set the Lee die up to slip.  That actually works quite well most of the time.  I did find that with crimped 7.62 brass I had to tighten the living hell out of the pin to stop it from slipping though.  Crimped 5.56 is cake in comparison.  And non crimped pistol or rifle, no issues, just snug was fine.
My issue was just wearing the dang pins out, as in mushrooming the tips, just on primers.  Id chuck them in the drill and put a point back on them and go back to work, but eventually they just wore out.
I sort out all steel trash and brass washed steel with a magnet, and that pretty much gets rid of Berdan junk as well.  Ive seen a few brass Berdans from time to time, but they are few and far between.  I also throw my brass on 1/4" shaker screens to sort and get the majority of dirt/rock/detritus out of it.  

And yep, the Lee APP with a case feeder is an absolute unit for decapping with a case feeder.  Its so quick it facilitated a motor upgrade on my Hornady case feeder so it would keep up.  I dont know how you can get more work done for less money than that setup.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 12:22:51 AM EDT
[#23]
If you are really decapping so many cases you are regularly wearing out Lee pins, then you can justify one of the high end decapping dies like Mighty Armory. They aren't even that much.

If you have a Lee die and are just having some issues, there are options for the die. If the issue is undersized flash holes, they sell undersized pins for them. If it seems like the pin isn't centering right, they make caliber specific pins that center themselves. You can get these right from Lee, and I would assume they are even cheaper from Titan reloading.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 12:17:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 7:52:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks Gang!
I ordered both a FW and a MA De-cap dies.  I noticed that the MA die can be converted to a hold down die.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 7:56:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 9:19:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Good choice on the fw, it is fantastic I've now got both generations plus the popper.
I have not used the MA but they are highly regarded.

I like what will at fwarms is doing so I support him with my $$.

I use them on an auto driven 1050.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 9:31:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#28]
Originally Posted By ZA206:
View Quote

Not gonna lie, I shook my head at paying close to $100 shipped for a stupid decapping pin, of all things.  But I had broken one too many decapping pins and also had about 5 too many spent primers draw right back up into the "decapped" casing, and was just peeved.  So I just said F'it - what's The Best?   The Mighty one looks good, no doubt; but this spring loaded FW one, laterally builds up a spring loaded tension on a properly hardened proper-alloy decap pin, and ***POW*** snaps off each spent primer.  They don't cling to the tip and draw back in, I'll say that!  And the bullet-sleeve style guidance system is just awesome, as it assures proper alignment in a loose progressive shell-plate - every time.  No more playing around with that either.

And works too, upon too-small primer pockets - (looking at you IK headstamp) - not a problem, it blows those right out just fine.

It's a decadence expense and you'd better be >5000 casings a year to justify it.  AND annoyed by failures in your current system.  But if you do... TBH, my rage-purchase of the FW, has been surprisingly well worth it.  (it's a phrase, I wasn't actually in "rage")
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 9:46:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By DDRanch:
Thanks Gang!
I ordered both a FW and a MA De-cap dies.  I noticed that the MA die can be converted to a hold down die.
View Quote

FW Arms makes a spring loaded hold down die as well.

Great for mixed brass with different web thicknesses.

You can hate me later for what this will cost you.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 10:08:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 10:46:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Spring loaded decapper and the dynamic hold down coupled with fw shell plates made a huge difference in the consistency of my processed 5.56.

I'll be setting up a 308 head in the next 2 months or so.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 11:39:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Ok, FW has a spring loaded decapping pin. Anything else?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:

Not gonna lie, I shook my head at paying close to $100 shipped for a stupid decapping pin, of all things.  But I had broken one too many decapping pins and also had about 5 too many spent primers draw right back up into the "decapped" casing, and was just peeved.  So I just said F'it - what's The Best?   The Mighty one looks good, no doubt; but this spring loaded FW one, laterally builds up a spring loaded tension on a properly hardened proper-alloy decap pin, and ***POW*** snaps off each spent primer.  They don't cling to the tip and draw back in, I'll say that!  And the bullet-sleeve style guidance system is just awesome, as it assures proper alignment in a loose progressive shell-plate - every time.  No more playing around with that either.

And works too, upon too-small primer pockets - (looking at you IK headstamp) - not a problem, it blows those right out just fine.

It's a decadence expense and you'd better be >5000 casings a year to justify it.  AND annoyed by failures in your current system.  But if you do... TBH, my rage-purchase of the FW, has been surprisingly well worth it.  (it's a phrase, I wasn't actually in "rage")
Ok, FW has a spring loaded decapping pin. Anything else?

Sping loaded Sleeve aligner akin to a bullet sleeve - fornthe whole casing, that assures aligned casing so the decapper tip is always aligned correctly over the flash hole.
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 3:33:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3] [#33]
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 5:09:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Using the Lee decap die with a squirrel daddy replacement pin decapping mixed 7.62x39 cases on the APP, found the flash holes were too small for the squirrel daddy pin.  The pin would penetrate and expand the flash hole, but would get stuck and it was very difficult to pull the pin out.

Tried oiling the pin and it helped for a couple times, but would then stick again.

Never heard of FW until this thread. Might have to try the full size popper when they come back in stock...
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 1:09:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 3:07:52 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

Now THATS a recapping die! Getting together an order, think I'll add that!
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 11:01:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Metonymy:
FWArms.  All day everyday.  It's literally mind blowing.

It rips through berdan brass too.

I use it on my CP2000 that is automated and I can finally let it eat without breaking decapping pins every couple hundred rounds.

I'm only this passionate about the topic because of how happy I am to have found it.  It has been a game changer for me.

Berdan brass?  Punches right through.

https://i.imgur.com/iAkGwBy.jpeg

And the automation in action.  I have their hold down die too for the swaging station.  Click for the in-action video.

https://imgur.com/a/L3tHUvc
View Quote

THIS.

FW arms is lightyears ahead of anything else. I run them on all my toolheads, including a few for an automated CP2000. They power through just about anything and the decap pins last significantly longer than anything else I've tried.
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 11:47:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Picked up a spare on the bay last week, should have gotten more. I offered $49, and they took the deal.  I got one of the Mark 7 labeled ones.  FW Arms sells on there too.
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 12:59:07 AM EDT
[#39]
I decap using a Lyman Universal decapper die on a Coax press. Run the brass through before I clean it, can decap about 1 case per second for a long time thanks to the Coax case holding system and can decap multiple different cases all in the same run.
Link Posted: 6/21/2024 9:36:16 AM EDT
[#40]
The FW decap die showed up yesterday. The MA one shoul be here Monday.
What a beast! Well built. will try it out on some 7.62 Military today.

Now to figure out who has the best hold down die for the Swage station?
Link Posted: 6/21/2024 9:41:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/21/2024 10:23:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By anachronism:
I also have a Mighty Armory decapper. Mine also has the flicker to make the spent primers fully eject and not stick on the decapping pin. A must for automated machines.
View Quote
+ 1
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 9:10:03 AM EDT
[#43]
I have never had problems with my Lee decapers and tend to get free ones with packages I buy from people so have at least 3 plus a bunch of pins

However, I Googled FW went to their site and saw the decapper was only $35.00 shipped and figured why not

Now I realize that is their unterdecapper and not the Uberdecapper you'all are proclaiming as Der Besserdecapper

Is this "simple" decapper OK or not worth comparing to the "better" decappers?

Link Posted: 6/22/2024 10:13:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#44]
Howdy Gang
I use a Dillon Super 1050 to process brass on.
First station I have been using a Lee De-Capping die with a Squirel Daddy pin.
Problem is even when I tighten the heck out of it, it pushes up and case dose not get deprimed.
Any sugestions? It's a pain to have to stop and push decap pin down, pullout brass that did not get primer removed, and start up again.
View Quote

Umm I kind of defeated the slip feature on my Lee by simply cranking the everloving bejesus out of the collet that holds the pin.

It’s not stupid if it works.  I got tired of military crimped primers causing the pin to slip.  My buddy got me to go halves on a deal on some USGI  .30 carbine brass.  The asshole seller liquid washed it all with the primers in and didn’t thoroughly dry them.  There was a ton of green corrosion bonding the primer to the pocket.  I ended up discarding more than a few cases.

But standard USGI .30-06 was tough to deprime as well so A good tug on the wrench on that inexpensive depriming die.

It wasn’t my first choice of universal depriming die but it was the one that was not out of stock when I was placing a larger order.
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 11:07:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:

Umm I kind of defeated the slip feature on my Lee by simply cranking the everloving bejesus out of the collet that holds the pin.

It’s not stupid if it works.  I got tired of military crimped primers causing the pin to slip.  My buddy got me to go halves on a deal on some USGI  .30 carbine brass.  The asshole seller liquid washed it all with the primers in and didn’t thoroughly dry them.  There was a ton of green corrosion bonding the primer to the pocket.  I ended up discarding more than a few cases.

But standard USGI .30-06 was tough to deprime as well so A good tug on the wrench on that inexpensive depriming die.

It wasn’t my first choice of universal depriming die but it was the one that was not out of stock when I was placing a larger order.
View Quote

I have cranked the piss out of my Lee Decappers and the pins still slip or break.
My MA decapper is showing up today.
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 1:10:22 PM EDT
[#46]

I have cranked the piss out of my Lee Decappers and the pins still slip or break.
My MA decapper is showing up today.
View Quote

Same experience with Lee, and my MA decapper got here this morning. its sitting on my desk.
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 2:07:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Mighty Armory
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 5:34:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Just tried out the FW decapper. It plowed right through Berdan primmed brass adding a second hole. What a beast!
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 6:13:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Strikefirst] [#49]
FW has the up to .308 length case decapper in stock and it's a little cheaper than the up to 338 lapua.

@dryflash3

$69.99
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 6:28:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Strikefirst:
FW has the up to .308 length case decapper in stock and it's a little cheaper than the up to 338 lapua.

@dryflash3

$69.99
View Quote

That is the one that I got!

The real bummer is the Post Office says they delivered my MA order, but it landed some where else?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top