Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2024 9:08:04 PM EDT
A while ago I picked up an E4 for relatively cheap because the bolt would not hold back due to the aftermarket Manticore angled charging handle. The plastic corner was worn and would just slip. I replaced it with an AUG charging handle (the one with the FA button), and as we all know, it and an optic make for some nice scrapes. I'm looking for something that folds out of the way. Manticore had one at some point, but can't seem to find any. Are there other options?

Link Posted: 6/14/2024 12:41:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Rooster-X:
I'm looking for something that folds out of the way. Manticore had one at some point, but can't seem to find any.
View Quote

This?

https://manticorearms.com/product/switchback-charging-handle-mini/
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 12:51:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Aug and msar charging handles are interchangeable.

Instead of having one that folds...

Try one like the gearhead works points down instead of up.

It's my favorite.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 10:17:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TSH77769:
Aug and msar charging handles are interchangeable.

Instead of having one that folds...

Try one like the gearhead works points down instead of up.

It's my favorite.
View Quote

Thanks, I might just try both. FYI, last I looked (last year) neither were available.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 8:43:37 AM EDT
[#4]

Thanks, I might just try both. FYI, last I looked (last year) neither were available.
View Quote

If you want to try the Gear Head Works, IM me with your info and I'll send you the one that came on the used AUG I bought earlier this year. I swapped it for the Manticore and much prefer the folding handle (the GHW still allowed me to scrape my knuckles on my optic mount).
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 11:17:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all the advice, I ended up ordering a Manticore folder locally.
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 4:27:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Installed. Next question, does anybody know what's up with the fluted barrel and awkward flash hider?
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 6:58:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TSH77769] [#7]
The fluted barrel is a nice touch to reduce weight! I wish star would offer fluted or lighter profile barrels.

The flash hider looks like the original msar flash hider which is patterned after the tulip style has been replaced with an Aug muzzle brake or comp.

MSAR barrels were made both in 13x1 left hand and half by 28 right hand however based upon the muzzle device that's on the rifle in that picture it has to be a 13x1 left hand because that muzzle device hasn't been made in half by 28 right hand as far as I know.
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 4:44:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Glad you got your Manicore charging handle to work.  When I bought my E4, I bought the same one, and could not get the factory handle out.  There's a pin that holds in it place, and it won, as I ran out of nerve trying to hammer it out.  

Are you aware of the issue with the E4 and the magazine catch?  It's been 15 years or so since I bought mine and had the issue, but I believe there was some plastic part in the mag release system that would easily break, leaving your mag stuck in place.  

Mine broke, and I think I had to send it back to MSAR with it stuck in - been 15 years so I don't remember.  They replaced it with a metal part and I've not had any issues with it since.  

But with them out of business, there's no source that I know of for the metal part.  

If you hear a snap when you try to get a mag out and nothing happens, it's most likely this issue.
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 7:39:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By 1stID:
Glad you got your Manicore charging handle to work.  When I bought my E4, I bought the same one, and could not get the factory handle out.  There's a pin that holds in it place, and it won, as I ran out of nerve trying to hammer it out.  

Are you aware of the issue with the E4 and the magazine catch?  It's been 15 years or so since I bought mine and had the issue, but I believe there was some plastic part in the mag release system that would easily break, leaving your mag stuck in place.  

Mine broke, and I think I had to send it back to MSAR with it stuck in - been 15 years so I don't remember.  They replaced it with a metal part and I've not had any issues with it since.  

But with them out of business, there's no source that I know of for the metal part.  

If you hear a snap when you try to get a mag out and nothing happens, it's most likely this issue.
View Quote

Thanks for the heads up, and yes mine has the metal mag catch
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 9:23:30 AM EDT
[#10]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/480444/image0__16_-3248095.jpg

Installed. Next question, does anybody know what's up with the fluted barrel and awkward flash hider?
View Quote

Some big changes coming up for this one. It'll take about a month, and it'll be worth it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 1:55:46 PM EDT
[#11]
A while ago I picked up an E4 for relatively cheap because the bolt would not hold back due to the aftermarket Manticore angled charging handle. The plastic corner was worn and would just slip. I replaced it with an AUG charging handle (the one with the FA button), and as we all know, it and an optic make for some nice scrapes. I'm looking for something that folds out of the way. Manticore had one at some point, but can't seem to find any. Are there other options?

View Quote

If I am not mistaken, when I installed the switchback handle on my AUG. There was a statement in the instructions that if the part get worn out. You can rotate the plastic piece on another corner and resume operation.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 4:33:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By AR18:

If I am not mistaken, when I installed the switchback handle on my AUG. There was a statement in the instructions that if the part get worn out. You can rotate the plastic piece on another corner and resume operation.
View Quote

You are correct
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 5:58:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Having that little plastic pad to protect the receiver is one of the things I like about the manticore handle I wish the gear had works one had that as well.
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 7:38:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Having that little plastic pad to protect the receiver is one of the things I like about the manticore handle I wish the gear had works one had that as well.
View Quote

the MSAR came with the old style Manticore, and the edge was worn off. Wouldn't hold. I used an old AUG charging handle for a bit, then got the newer Manticore, I like the fact that you can rotate it. If it ever fails, I'm sure I could 3D print a replacement out of ASA or ABS
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 5:41:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rooster-X] [#15]
First part of the MSAR color swap is complete. Everything looks great, except the Aimpoint is a smidge too long between the battery cap and the on/off switch. I’m thinking maybe have a set of flat steel top caps made up. The Manticore Talon rail is too rare to modify as well as the Aimpoint

Link Posted: 7/12/2024 11:05:37 PM EDT
[#16]
I hear those MSAR E4 stocks fit the AUG….

Link Posted: 7/17/2024 1:47:57 AM EDT
[#17]
The MSAR Gen 4 and E4 (all E4 stocks are Gen 4) DO fit and function on the AUG. In fact it's quite awesome. Especially if you want to say for example have a NATO magazine stock with an external bolt release and left hand ejection!
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 1:49:44 AM EDT
[#18]
@Rooster-X

Rooster-x  bought that ultra rare msar Talon mount from me and also did another separate trade with me as well for the color swap of the furniture.

I already left positive feedback in the equipment exchange but I just wanted to give a shout out to him here and say man everything worked really well and it was just smooth and easy and turned out great and I'm super happy with the color swap.
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 8:38:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rooster-X] [#19]
@Rooster-X

Rooster-x  bought that ultra rare msar Talon mount from me and also did another separate trade with me as well for the color swap of the furniture.

I already left positive feedback in the equipment exchange but I just wanted to give a shout out to him here and say man everything worked really well and it was just smooth and easy and turned out great and I'm super happy with the color swap.
View Quote

Thanks, I'm diggin' the new setup. Post up pics when you have them. EE feedback was left
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 8:19:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 8:36:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Manticore_Arms:

@Rooster-X

Sent you a PM, might have an easy solution for you.  

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

PM returned. Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 9:54:26 PM EDT
[#22]
The MSAR Gen 4 and E4 (all E4 stocks are Gen 4) DO fit and function on the AUG. In fact it's quite awesome. Especially if you want to say for example have a NATO magazine stock with an external bolt release and left hand ejection!
View Quote

I may have to find one of these.

Link Posted: 7/18/2024 3:40:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Stormfront] [#23]
Rooster:

Looking forward to hearing about it…
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 3:43:07 AM EDT
[#24]

Some big changes coming up for this one. It'll take about a month, and it'll be worth it.
View Quote

Looking forward to hearing about it…
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 11:23:02 AM EDT
[#25]
My two MSAR's:

I like that I can make any combo since all parts on these are interchangeable.  The green stock is an XM17-E4 that uses AR mags and the black stock is an STG556 gen 4 that uses AUG mags.  Got the 20" barrel in one and the 16" in another.  Both threaded 1/2x28.  One has a flat top and the other with the 1.5x optic.  Both have upgraded triggers - one with a rare 20/20 precision sear and the other with a Neu-trigger.  The 20/20 precision sear is unbelievably good, as in it rivals some of the precision bolt action rifles I have.  Both MSAR's also have the Ratworx AR bolt upgrades on them.
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 1:58:04 PM EDT
[#26]
That's pretty awesome!

A lot of people don't even know that the 20/20 seer was made for the msar.
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 12:43:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MadDogDan] [#27]

I like that I can make any combo since all parts on these are interchangeable.  The green stock is an XM17-E4 that uses AR mags and the black stock is an STG556 gen 4 that uses AUG mags.  Got the 20" barrel in one and the 16" in another.  Both threaded 1/2x28.  One has a flat top and the other with the 1.5x optic.  Both have upgraded triggers - one with a rare 20/20 precision sear and the other with a Neu-trigger.  The 20/20 precision sear is unbelievably good, as in it rivals some of the precision bolt action rifles I have.  Both MSAR's also have the Ratworx AR bolt upgrades on them.
View Quote

I have two MSAR E4's both set up as Left Hand shooters.  One is chambered in 5.56 and the other is a rare limited run chambered in 7.62x39  The 7.62 has a 20/20 Precision Sear in it that does give it a nice 5 lb. pull but the 5.56 has an Ultra Rare 20/20 Precision HTM hammer pack.  The HTM pack is made up of AR15 hammer, disconnector, and springs.  This pack has a crisp 2 lb. pull with almost zero take up and no overtravel.

As far as Changing Handles goes, I went with the Gearhead Works aluminum handles.  They are small made for charging with one finger and angle down so you do't bust your knuckles on optic mounts.

Wouldn't get rid of them for anything.
Top Top