Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2024 12:23:00 PM EDT
In a scrapbook of things from my Grandpa's WWII service, there is a property inventory list of things he was bringing or shipping home. Among these are a Model 1892 French revolver. Anyone on here collect these or know about them?

Unfortunately the revolver is long gone, likely lost in a house fire in the 1950s. I'd love to add one to my collection someday, though. Are they fairly common on the US collector market? What's the value/price range?
Link Posted: 7/31/2024 12:50:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Grendel_J:
In a scrapbook of things from my Grandpa's WWII service, there is a property inventory list of things he was bringing or shipping home. Among these are a Model 1892 French revolver. Anyone on here collect these or know about them?

Unfortunately the revolver is long gone, likely lost in a house fire in the 1950s. I'd love to add one to my collection someday, though. Are they fairly common on the US collector market? What's the value/price range?
View Quote

They are not rare but are not common either

You can find them eventually on gunbroker or guns international

Or gun shops that deal alot in used guns

Price ranges vary depending on condition and whether parts are matching, etc. I have seen them from 650.00 to 1300.00 dollars and higher.

Always wanted one too but want other firearms more
Link Posted: 7/31/2024 1:42:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one, and I even have ammo for it.  Fairly typically late 19th century European revolver with a few French quirks thrown in.  The cylinder opens to the right, the opposite of virtually every other revolver made.  Solid piece, does it's job, anemic caliber.  Was in service till the end of WW2, and probably even saw LE use after that.  

These are apparently somewhat common and popular in France.  Fiocchi still makes ammo for them.  If memory serves one of the recent terrorist attacks used one.
Link Posted: 7/31/2024 3:15:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JMD:

Price ranges vary depending on condition and whether parts are matching, etc. I have seen them from 650.00 to 1300.00 dollars and higher.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JMD:
Originally Posted By Grendel_J:

Currently two for sale on guns international

One for 950 and one for about 450.  The one for 450 has a loose cylinder

Three for sale on gunbroker.  One in rough shape for 345.  One for 749 starting bid and one for 999
Link Posted: 7/31/2024 10:14:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I know these are chambered for the French ordnance cartridge but is there a substitute that you can use like 32 S&W long?
Link Posted: 7/31/2024 10:31:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I have one. It is a finely made weapon from an era without computers and the like.

I believe the right side cylinder swing out was there for cavalry use.
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 2:34:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I have one, not super rare or hard to find. The cartridge is fairly anemic like most of the small bore military revolvers of the time. I have shot mine with Fiochhi.
I also have a 1887 which came before... was more of a intermediate design between the 1874 and 1892 which is very rare less than 1k made.
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 10:23:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Appreciate all the info. I'll check Gunbroker, Jackson Armory in Dallas and Simpson in IL and see what I can find.

I know these revolvers are 8mm / roughly .32 caliber but what cartridge? How do they compare in size to a K-frame S&W?

Interesting note about the right side cylinder release/opening. That would make sense from a cavalry perspective, you'd likely have your gun in your left hand if you had the reins in your right, so you would reload with the right hand.

For context, here's the property list I mentioned from my Grandpa (3rd pic - they uploaded out of order for some reason). The French revolver is mentioned here along with a Mauser pocket pistol and a Mod. 27 (which I believe to be a CZ 27, or "Pistole modell 27" as they were marked under Nazi occupation). I'd love to acquire good examples of all of them in memory of Grandpa, someday. Also attached is a photo I found of him holding two of his pistols....the Mauser and a Luger (for which I've found no documentation).Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/1/2024 10:26:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Here's one:  Simpson Ltd

I have bought many things from them and they are good to go.  No problem w/ C&R license.  Often have prices at the top of the market, but some deals to be found.  This one likely has been there a while and you might be able to negotiate.

rob
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 11:09:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Have Othias tell you all about it..

History of WWI Primer 003*: French 1892 Documentary
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 11:16:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Found a few videos on the subject from C&Rsenal and Forgotten Weapons....

Minute of Mae: French Revolver Modèle 1892

History of WWI Primer 003*: French 1892 Documentary

Cutting Edge Military Hardware for Civilians: Manufrance Mle 1892

(this one's a civilian version)

French military revolvers - M1873 and M1892

(this looks like one of Ian's VERY early videos, lol)
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 11:17:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By dcs12345:
Have Othias tell you all about it..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irUCKXv9Rhc
View Quote
I see great minds think alike
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 2:43:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Ameshawki:
Was in service till the end of WW2, and probably even saw LE use after that.
View Quote

Saw use by the gendarmes and extremely limited military use in support units at least halfway through the Algerian War. Military production of cartridges for it ceased in 1958.
Top Top