BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 7:37:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Tao:

Main purpose will be deer at less than 120y. Maybe a yote or hog occasionally.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SMC527:
What will you be hunting?

I will be interested in the lethality you get on each of those 3 very different species
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 8:12:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Ready to go for tomorrow.

9-12gr of SW Blackout and CFEBLK
7-9gr Titegroup
All seated to 1.825 at the ogive.

Also, poop on Lee for making the little square ratchet piece in their turret press so delicate.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/90672/20220427_154834_jpg-2364179.JPG
View Quote

Those look great.  The SW Blackout snd CFE BLK look to be in the ballpark I’d expect.

I don’t have any experience with Titegroup to comment.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 1:05:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tao] [#3]
Got some great/interesting results. Got all 11 shots through clean paper, and I think a couple were maybe borderline wobbling, but nothing that really sticks out.

Every single one hit exact point of aim, so I think these are gonna be tack drivers out of this encore barrel.

Also.... I'm tarded. I updated the labradar and didn't change the settings back to pistol velocities, so it didn't read the first 4 shots which were the SW Blackout. They were near identical to the CFEBLK shots, so I'm assuming the velocities were very similar for each load.

Pics of paper and listing the data tomorrow.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 1:06:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tao] [#4]
Hits on paper, most with velocities.

https://imgur.com/a/UmlEDl9

Primers all looked good, zero signs of pressure. I didn't shoot the 9gr Titegroup load because the 8gr was already well over supersonic.

Holy balls CFEBLK is dirty. Those cases are just covered in black soot, whereas the SW and Titegroup were noticeably cleaner.

@Tao

I suggest you delete that link as your whole Imgur account is open.

Read my post below to learn how to post pics. dryflash3

That's not how imgur works. Unless a post is specifically posted to their public 'gallery', it's not visible without the direct link. 'Hidden' posts make no mention of the user that posted them. What you saw under my pics was random garbage from imgur's public gallery that they started putting at the bottom of all pages to encourage their wannabe effort to be social media.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 1:32:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 1:44:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tao] [#6]
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
Let me teach you how to post pics from Imjur.
View Quote

A gallery of almost a dozen images displayed in a specific order, would otherwise clutter the thread and be a pain in the ass to scroll through.

And when a hidden/non-public imgur gallery is posted, only the images are displayed, there shouldn't be anything referencing my account or other images in it.

When you click on it, can you see other images in my account or my account name?
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 1:50:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3] [#7]
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 1:51:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
If you want folks to see all the images you have in your account then do as you wish.

All I can do is point out you account is open, my conscious is clear.
View Quote

There shouldn't be anything else from my account at that link. Are you talking about the garbage "gallery" posts they recently started including at the bottom?
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 3:34:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Got some great/interesting results. Got all 11 shots through clean paper, and I think a couple were maybe borderline wobbling, but nothing that really sticks out.

Every single one hit exact point of aim, so I think these are gonna be tack drivers out of this encore barrel.

Also.... I'm tarded. I updated the labradar and didn't change the settings back to pistol velocities, so it didn't read the first 4 shots which were the SW Blackout. They were near identical to the CFEBLK shots, so I'm assuming the velocities were very similar for each load.

Pics of paper and listing the data tomorrow.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/90672/20220428_153306_jpg-2365643.JPG
View Quote

Outstanding!  I'm very curious to see how the CFE Blk groups.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 3:43:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By AeroEngineer:

Outstanding!  I'm very curious to see how the CFE Blk groups.
View Quote

Is the general advice to go with the load that gives highest velocity that's still subsonic?

Now that I have some baseline numbers, what should my next steps be?
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 4:04:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Tao:  Is the general advice to go with the load that gives highest velocity that's still subsonic?

Now that I have some baseline numbers, what should my next steps be?
View Quote

As you get very close to the speed of sound, the airflow over the bullet curve can exceed the speed of sound & you'll get supersonic crack, as well as the speed of sound changing w/ air pressure & temp, so no, don't try to push it to 1099 fps.  I'd shoot for under 1050 or even slower.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 4:56:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

As you get very close to the speed of sound, the airflow over the bullet curve can exceed the speed of sound & you'll get supersonic crack, as well as the speed of sound changing w/ air pressure & temp, so no, don't try to push it to 1099 fps.  I'd shoot for under 1050 or even slower.
View Quote

Right, that's why most shoot for 1050-ish, yeah?

I think I've got a good idea what will get me 1050 consistently now, so I should aim for 1050 +/- 10 going forward?

What should my next batch of loads look like?
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 5:03:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroEngineer] [#13]
Based on the data you gave, personally I’d load a batch to shoot with with the loads that showed about 1050 fps.  See what your accuracy and std dev on velocity show.

In my mind, the load you want to find fully  stabilizes the bullet, process acceptable accuracy (subjective criteria), sand is consistently subsonic.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 5:12:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Based on these: https://imgur.com/a/UmlEDl9

Are there any I should avoid for stability, or am I reading into it too much and none of them are worrisome?
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 5:14:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By AeroEngineer:
Based on the data you gave, personally I’d load a batch to shoot with with the loads that showed about 1050 fps.  See what your accuracy and std dev on velocity show.

In my mind, the load you want to find fully  stabilizes the bullet, process acceptable accuracy (subjective criteria), sand is consistently subsonic.
View Quote

I'm thinking 3 round groups of 11.5 and 12gr of both SW Blackout and CFE BLK, and 3 rounds each of 6.5 and 7gr Titegroup.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 7:55:55 PM EDT
[#16]
The less powder you use, the quieter and cheaper your loads will be.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 10:22:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tao] [#17]
16" barrel Encore, all seated to 1.825 at the ogive, not the cannelure.

7gr Titegroup 1046 fps
8gr Titegroup 1240 fps

9gr CFEBLK 894 fps
10gr CFEBLK 929
11gr CFEBLK 936
12gr CFEBLK 1051

9gr SW Blackout ..........no data, labradar wasn't set to pistol velocity
10gr SW Blackout ...
11gr SW Blackout ...
12gr SW Blackout ...

Next step later this week, 3 round groups of 11.5 and 12gr of SW and CFE, and 3 round groups of 6.5 and 7gr Titegroup.

Based on the pictures in that link above, does anyone think I shouldn't try to put these groups through my can?

Originally Posted By backbencher:
The less powder you use, the quieter and cheaper your loads will be.
View Quote

But if being used for hunting, I should try and keep them as fast as possible while still subsonic, right?
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 11:23:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Tao:  But if being used for hunting, I should try and keep them as fast as possible while still subsonic, right?
View Quote

You're not in rifle ballistics at this point - you're not dumping energy.  You're in pistol ballistics, as long as the round penetrates as deeply as you need it to, & expands reliably, 50 or 100 fps doesn't make much of a difference.  You're basically shooting a .45 ACP here.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 4:29:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tao] [#19]
Based on UR's stuff, I'm going to shoot for 1050 fps.

https://ultimatereloader.com/2022/03/17/tested-hornady-sub-x-190gr-300-blackout/

TESTED: Hornady Sub-X 190gr 300 Blackout
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 4:56:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tao] [#20]
https://imgur.com/a/rN7RRvS

The 12gr groups of both CFEBLK and SW Blackout were about 0.9", and the 7gr Titegroup group was about 1.3".

Link Posted: 6/9/2022 10:56:50 AM EDT
[#21]
CFE-BLK looks like the winner.

I need to get some of these projectiles.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 12:04:46 AM EDT
[#22]
I think I'm done with the 190gr loads. All shoot about 1.5 moa around 1050 fps. Overall 190gr winner, I'm going with 11.7gr of CFEBLK.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 12:15:45 AM EDT
[#23]
I've seen people comment that CFE Black is louder than some others did you experience that? I'm sure most everything is quiet in the longer barrels.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 12:21:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
I've seen people comment that CFE Black is louder than some others did you experience that? I'm sure most everything is quiet in the longer barrels.
View Quote

Everything went through my Griffin Optimus, so they all sounded pretty much the same.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 2:23:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 4:39:47 PM EDT
[#26]
My quietest loads in my suppressed bolt action 300blk uses N110 or lil gun. The n110 is definitely quieter at the same velocity as cfeblk.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 5:13:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By AtomicOutdoorsman:
My quietest loads in my suppressed bolt action 300blk uses N110 or lil gun. The n110 is definitely quieter at the same velocity as cfeblk.
View Quote

In the future I'll try N110, if I ever come across some that I don't have to pay hazmat for.

What charge weights do you use for 190gr pills?
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 5:22:08 PM EDT
[#28]

In the future I'll try N110, if I ever come across some that I don't have to pay hazmat for.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AtomicOutdoorsman:

I'm using 8grs n110 with berry's 220gr pills at right around 1000fps for my 300blk bolt gun. Even cycles my AR just fine. Vihtavuori has a really good app for data, but I had to do some experimenting outside of their data to get my load. I started low and worked up
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 2:09:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tao] [#29]
If I get this jug of Universal, I'll work up a load using it. Still have an eye out for N110.

After shooting some more, the CFE BLK is indeed louder than the other options, so I'm going to try and find a quieter option that shoots as tight or tighter.

Since 7gr of titegroup gave me just under subsonic, and Universal is slower, I'm going to try 5.5 - 6.5 gr of Universal under the 190 subx.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:52:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Have you tired any of these in a semi auto?

Also with such small powder charge in a large case are you/have you seen any signs of inconsistencies in velocity or pressure signs?

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:00:09 AM EDT
[#31]
If I get this jug of Universal, I'll work up a load using it. Still have an eye out for N110.

After shooting some more, the CFE BLK is indeed louder than the other options, so I'm going to try and find a quieter option that shoots as tight or tighter.

Since 7gr of titegroup gave me just under subsonic, and Universal is slower, I'm going to try 5.5 - 6.5 gr of Universal under the 190 subx.
View Quote
If using for bolt gun, try red dot, blue dot, N32C. My favorite is N105 though.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:03:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By swampfoxoutdoors:

Also with such small powder charge in a large case are you/have you seen any signs of inconsistencies in velocity or pressure signs?
View All Quotes

No to both.

I'd imagine the CFE BLK or SW blackout loads might have enough gas for a semi. They're nearly identical to known good 300 blk loads.

Originally Posted By Demphna2:
If using for bolt gun, try red dot, blue dot, N32C. My favorite is N105 though.

All great sugestions..............pre-covid scarcity.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 2:40:38 PM EDT
[#33]

No to both.

I'd imagine the CFE BLK or SW blackout loads might have enough gas for a semi. They're nearly identical to known good 300 blk loads.

View Quote

Unfortunately, two of demphna's listed powders are discontinued by Vihta.  n32c and n105 are no longer made.

For such a small sample on your velocities, I'd personally say roughly 80 fps ES is huge.  If you can find Vihta N110 I would definitely try it, it is way more bulky, >25% more  than the CFE BLK and you would

get a much better case fill.  Your charges for N110 would be less grains though, you would still likely come out ahead on case fill % and potentially ES in velocities.

It is also significantly faster burning than CFE BLK so would be noticeably more quiet, in my blackout, subsonic sound difference is very noticeable going from aa1680, to IMR 4227, H110, and then N110.  

And it is way cleaner by miles.  N105 is even more bulky than N110, but it is discontinued.

Published volumetric density for CFE BLK is 0.0657, N110 is 0.0833, N105 is 0.09, alternatively in grains/cc they are blk 15.22, 110 12.0, 105 11.11.  I've found published VMD's to be anywhere from essentially right

on to more than 10% difference either way in the lots of powder I have.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 4:26:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Karl_H:

Unfortunately, two of demphna's listed powders are discontinued by Vihta.  n32c and n105 are no longer made.

View Quote
https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/product/vihtavuori-n105-1/

I thought the same thing, so I emailed Vihtavouri and they have no information about it being discontinued?

Bought 2 more pounds of it for my 6.5" 300 blackout AR. Damn good powder.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 4:44:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Karl_H] [#35]
Originally Posted By Demphna2:
https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/product/vihtavuori-n105-1/

I thought the same thing, so I emailed Vihtavouri and they have no information about it being discontinued?

Bought 2 more pounds of it for my 6.5" 300 blackout AR. Damn good powder.
View Quote

edited to add:  hmm, they moved n105 to the n300 series listing and it is there.  Glad I looked more on their website.  Can't find the discontinued notice either, used to be there and show up searching for N105 on the site.

I'd buy a lifetime supply if you can and like it.  No longer listed as a powder on their website.  And it was their website where I read the discontinuation.  

Here is Vihta's list of all there n100 powders, notice N105 is no longer listed, it was a few months ago.

https://www.vihtavuori.com/powders/n100-powders/
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 4:56:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TxRabbitBane] [#36]
Are those the subsonic expanders that are supposed to peel back like a banana?

I have some somewhere (.308) but I’ve been skeered to use ‘em.  They were expensive.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 7:43:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By TxRabbitBane:

I have some somewhere (.308) but I’ve been skeered to use ‘em.  They were expensive.
View Quote

Video by UR is a few posts above.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 7:19:01 AM EDT
[#38]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TxRabbitBane:

Ah. Different projectile.  Still cool.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 7:56:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Thanks, I picked up a bunch of 190 sub-x's for similar purpose last time I saw them available.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 1:03:05 AM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

Alright, let a new round of load development commence.

Link Posted: 11/29/2022 1:35:18 PM EDT
[#41]
I know hornady just released more sub x projectiles on their site (190 is still up). Are they still making these 190gr projectiles? I can't find them anywhere.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 1:41:04 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

190gr sub x is my go to in my 6.25 honey badger inspired build. Zero issues using cfe blk and w296. I had pressure spike issues with lil gun although I'm sure I could make it work if I played around with it more.

If I had more to play around with i would absolutely load some up for my wbp mini jack , which is polish (and I assume a .310 bore). I just don't have enough laying around to experiment with them. If I get more ill try it out and post here.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 2:10:24 PM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SMC527:
What will you be hunting?

Ranging is critical shooting subs. It’s almost like archery. The  bullet drop at 50, 75, 100, 125 are all different.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 9:33:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tao] [#44]
My googlefu must be weak, I'm having a hard time finding recipes for 300blk (I've found 300blk recipes to be within a tenth of a grain for 7.62x39 for subs) using heavy bullets and Unique powder. I've seen everything from 6-10gr, but nothing definitive that seems to fit my use here: Universal with 190gr subx bullets.

I've got 8 pounds of Universal, which is their version of Unique.

It's purported to be extremely extremely quiet for this use, so I'm excited to see just how mousefart-y I can get them.

Help a brotha out?
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 12:19:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 1:10:47 AM EDT
[#46]
I get a plentiful supply of free 7.62x39 from work, and what I've been doing is pulling bullets and dumping powder, and reloading the primed cases.

Problem is, the projectiles are typical x39 .311, which means 308 projectiles don't seat well and sometimes just slip into the case.

What I've started doing, is put the primed case in the sizing die and kissing it just enough to shrink the case mouth and neck a bit. Then, I run a .306 mandrel die through it, and get a beautiful 2 thou of neck tension.

Still looking for a starting load for a 190gr projectile over Unique/Universal powder. I'm thinking I might try 6.6 - 8.4 in .2gr increments.

Does that sound sane?
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 5:30:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: chevrofreak] [#47]

No to both.

View Quote

I recently started loading subsonic 7.62x39 using my 300BLK load data and while I didn't chronograph anything I can tell everything is easily subsonic, and after bumping my charge weight up a bit my AK runs 100% suppressed and is surprisingly quiet.  12.5gr of AA1680 with a 220gr Berry's at 2.200" OAL, with no signs of instability out of my Norinco MAK-90.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 3:56:30 AM EDT
[#48]
After not seeing any available for 6+ months and my original couple boxes running low, I went ahead and bought 700 190gr subx when I found them in stock at buds.

Load development and mousefarts for lyfe!

I've currently got a handful of rounds loaded up with 5.0 - 8.5 grains of Universal waiting to go as soon as the weather is nice enough.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 4:19:30 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm interested to see how the new heavy sub x load does. 255 grains might do a little better.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 10:10:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tao] [#50]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
I'm interested to see how the new heavy sub x load does. 255 grains might do a little better.
View Quote

You and me both. I would do dirty things to get my hands on the new 255gr projectiles. I'm assuming we won't see them for reloaders for at least 9 months because they're using all of it for their loaded ammo. Bugs me every time I see the .350 and .45 diameter pills on the shelf, when all I want is heavy .30s.

On that note, those things are crazy long, and stick a little over half way down into the case.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top