Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Springfield Hellion VHS 2 (Page 22 of 23)
Page / 23
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 12:27:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BSJ:

Not yet.
View Quote

Understood. I'm looking forward to it!
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 4:29:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I was very interested in these rifles when they first came out, that interest cooled, but now I'm coming back around. The color options and revised safety help, as does Steyr ruining the AUG.

One of the things I'm trying to wrap my head around is optics.

With the raised rail, my first thought is that I'd want a very low optic. I know all the initial reviewers got copies of these with NF LVPOs, and some guys are using AR height stuff, but I'm not sure how good the cheek weld is with some of the configurations I'm seeing.

My second thought is, I think I'd prefer an ACOG of some flavor on one of these, but I don't know which direction I'd go. The characteristics of the TA-33 seem good, but I've never handled one, and it's AR height. The TA-50 is the only real magnified ACOG available in a low mount, but there's basically zero information out there about these.

I do have a spare Aimpoint PRO and a LT low mount if I wanted to go that route, but I like the idea of something magnified.

How many of you have gone through trial and error with optics on these, and how many of you love your current configuration?
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 4:54:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Scrapple] [#3]
Originally Posted By GenYRevolverGuy:
I was very interested in these rifles when they first came out, that interest cooled, but now I'm coming back around. The color options and revised safety help, as does Steyr ruining the AUG.

With the raised rail, my first thought is that I'd want a very low optic. I know all the initial reviewers got copies of these with NF LVPOs, and some guys are using AR height stuff, but I'm not sure how good the cheek weld is with some of the configurations I'm seeing.

My second thought is, I think I'd prefer an ACOG of some flavor on one of these, but I don't know which direction I'd go. The characteristics of the TA-33 seem good, but I've never handled one, and it's AR height. The TA-50 is the only real magnified ACOG available in a low mount, but there's basically zero information out there about these.

I do have a spare Aimpoint PRO and a LT low mount if I wanted to go that route, but I like the idea of something magnified.

How many of you have gone through trial and error with optics on these, and how many of you love your current configuration?
View Quote

Well, I've done all of that, and he's my take:

Started with the TA50 ACOG, high version, with a high Bobro mount, and it was perfect. Cowitnessed with iron sights through the scope channel, and that was super cool. I liked the scope so much that I needed to move it to one of my other favorite rifles, so then I needed a new optic for the VHS2.

I tried the TA11 ACOG. I liked that the enhanced magnification and FOV made for better longer range use, as this rifle is super accurate. But then, I realized that one of my AR10s needed an optic, and the TA11 was needed for that.

Next was the low mounted red dot plus EoTech magnifier in a low Arisaka mount. That was cool, but also I just didn't like it. Too low, not very good clarity, just wasn't for me.

Then I was doing some scope jockeying, and realized that my PLXC didn't have a home. I tried it on this rifle in a standard AR height mount and liked it, but wanted a lower mount. Got the ADM Recon low mount (1.15" centerline) and it was perfect. I'm very happy with this setup now.

On this rifle, I like the TA50 ACOG and the PLXC both very much, but in different ways. Both are good options, depending on your objectives. But if you like the idea of an ACOG, the TA50 is really excellent.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:05:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Scrapple:

https://i.ibb.co/yWmf4mj/20220502-154631.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/Lz64yDS/20220502-154705.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/KmwgRsp/20230909-114545.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/Db76V2B/20231116-145556.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/tZ1KYTg/20240428-161612.jpg

Started with the TA50 ACOG, high version, with a high Bobro mount, and it was perfect. Cowitnessed with iron sights through the scope channel, and that was super cool. I liked the scope so much that I needed to move it to one of my other favorite rifles, so then I needed a new optic for the VHS2.

I tried the TA11 ACOG. I liked that the enhanced magnification and FOV made for better longer range use, as this rifle is super accurate. But then, I realized that one of my AR10s needed an optic, and the TA11 was needed for that.

Next was the low mounted red dot plus EoTech magnifier in a low Arisaka mount. That was cool, but also I just didn't like it. Too low, not very good clarity, just wasn't for me.

Then I was doing some scope jockeying, and realized that my PLXC didn't have a home. I tried it on this rifle in a standard AR height mount and liked it, but wanted a lower mount. Got the ADM Recon low mount (1.15" centerline) and it was perfect. I'm very happy with this setup now.

On this rifle, I like the TA50 ACOG and the PLXC both very much, but in different ways. Both are good options, depending on your objectives. But if you like the idea of an ACOG, the TA50 is really excellent.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://i.ibb.co/yWmf4mj/20220502-154631.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/Lz64yDS/20220502-154705.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/KmwgRsp/20230909-114545.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/Db76V2B/20231116-145556.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/tZ1KYTg/20240428-161612.jpg

I'm actually somewhat shocked there's someone here that's tried a TA50 on the VHS.

That Bobro mount looks super tall on that rifle. You didn't find it too high?

And about the TA50 itself, what do you think about the eye box and the FOV? Is the eye box more forgiving than a TA31?
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 8:25:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Scrapple] [#5]

I'm actually somewhat shocked there's someone here that's tried a TA50 on the VHS.

That Bobro mount looks super tall on that rifle. You didn't find it too high?

And about the TA50 itself, what do you think about the eye box and the FOV? Is the eye box more forgiving than a TA31?
View Quote

Surprisingly, it did not feel all that high. I never found that it was uncomfortably high, but part of that is because the TA50 is quite forgiving with regards to the eye box.
With the PLXC, I did not really like it in standard AR height, which was even lower than the TA50 was, but I do like the PLXC in the low mount.

The TA50 is like a mini TA31. Slightly better eye relief, but overall it has a similar feel.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 6:23:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm really interested in one.  It also helps it's the ONLY bullpup I can get in this shithole state.  Anyone know if barrels in .300 BO are available, or if SA will start making that an option?
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 1:31:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I wanted to return to the thread and just give an update on my VHS-2

Round count - 2400
Jams - no
Can: HXWRX 556 flow

I had never cleaned the bore and accuracy just finally went from sub-moa to 2+ moa.   Cleaning it now and going to the range.  

Link Posted: 6/2/2024 1:58:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By vectorsc:

Round count - 2400
Jams - no

I had never cleaned the bore and accuracy just finally went from sub-moa to 2+ moa.   Cleaning it now and going to the range.  
https://i.postimg.cc/MGxzyK0z/image-cropper-6-B365-C83-7078-4779-B835-5-E9-DC0-A42901-4850-0000083-D2-C05491-B.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/Bvg4N9NH/image-cropper-D4479-A8-C-81-AF-44-E3-992-D-8-B02-F1185-B33-4850-0000084580625-C5-F.jpg
View Quote

Very positive results.
Thanks for the range report.

Link Posted: 6/2/2024 6:00:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Round count - 2400
Jams - no

https://i.postimg.cc/MGxzyK0z/image-cropper-6-B365-C83-7078-4779-B835-5-E9-DC0-A42901-4850-0000083-D2-C05491-B.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/Bvg4N9NH/image-cropper-D4479-A8-C-81-AF-44-E3-992-D-8-B02-F1185-B33-4850-0000084580625-C5-F.jpg
View Quote

How is the bore holding up ?
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 11:20:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Amazingly.  No heat checking or anything.  And its one of the best rifle bores I've seen - easly on par with a Criterion or a Bartlein in surface finish.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 8:33:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FloridaMan11b] [#11]
I don’t own any bullpups but I’ve always wanted a FAMAS.
This rifle is probably way better and it kind of looks like one.
I’m also a left handed shooter so left side eject is nice.
Way less gas to the face than a suppressed AR15 I would guess.
Did someone say something about a safety selector revision? If so how do I make sure I get that one from the factory? About to read into this thing more.
Eta: looks like this is the one to get? The picture shows the updated safety selector.
https://www.kygunco.com/product/springfield-armory-hl916556f-hellion-bullpup-5.56-nato-16-30rd-fde?utm_source=gun.deals&utm_medium=Product%20Feed&avad=211021_a3a342845

Are spare parts easy to find for these? I hear thats a issue with the tavor.

What barrel vise block should I get if I want to install a surefire suppressor adapter?
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 1:17:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 6:57:11 PM EDT
[#13]
It may be silly. But the only real hurdle that stops me from going all in on the Hellion (I do own one). Like being my "go to". Is the lack of any spare parts. I've been know to have mutiples. But I won't buy one just to use it for scrap parts.
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 11:54:10 PM EDT
[#14]
That's gonna b a problem for alot if rifles (especially new ones) outside the Ar15
Link Posted: 6/9/2024 9:17:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Jack_Flag:
It may be silly. But the only real hurdle that stops me from going all in on the Hellion (I do own one). Like being my "go to". Is the lack of any spare parts. I've been know to have mutiples. But I won't buy one just to use it for scrap parts.
View Quote

I cant justify buying it at all because of the lack of spare parts. I want to but my money would be better spent elsewhere for now. In due time SA will do the right thing hopefully.. until then, “FSA” lol..
Link Posted: 6/9/2024 10:08:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Jack_Flag:
View Quote

I will admit that the availability of spare parts for the X95 was a factor in my decision as to which bullpup to purchase.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 3:00:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Really considering a Hellion purchase after I get back from this deployment (over a Mk12) due to the accuracy potential and general novelty - is the 20" really less mechanically accurate? I've seen varying results.

Furthermore - if the 20" is less accurate due to barrel whip/attachments: would the 18" be the happy midpoint?
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 6:09:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#18]
Springfield, are you listening?

If you make a Chrome-lined barrel Hellion I will buy one.

Link Posted: 6/12/2024 11:11:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By _DR:
Springfield, are you listening?

If you make a Chrome-lined barrel Hellion I will buy one.

View Quote

Why? The standard version seems perfectly adequate.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 1:59:49 AM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

Everything I own is chrome lined, Aks, FALs, ARs, it's kind of a requirement with me.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 2:59:31 AM EDT
[#21]

Everything I own is chrome lined, Aks, FALs, ARs, it's kind of a requirement with me.
View All Quotes

Ditto. If I'm going to spend that much on a military-grade rifle, I want the CL (and preferably CHF as well).
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 7:44:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Odinforever2000] [#22]

Playing around with my Hellion today (10 shot group)
Tried the 77gr AAC OTM..Then the ADI 69 Sierra Match King...

Color me shocked when I sent the Adi 55gr Blitzking down range.

Rifle is a 16" Hellion
Shot from a bench with a rear bag (learned I needed this when trying the 1moa challenge and blowing it for my RDB)
1-6 LPVO
Modified (Bill Springfield TriggerPack Job)
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 2:27:17 PM EDT
[#23]
I have two that are sub-moa as well.  Very good rifle.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 7:00:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 9:02:55 PM EDT
[#25]
I have two that are sub-moa as well.  Very good rifle.
View Quote

I am fairly certain I can do that with my Rdb and now that I have a rear bag (used to shooting without then) that and a couple other bullpups I own may also have submoa 10 shot groups..Ill keep yall informed.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 7:54:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Chris_1522:
I'm trying to build a "precision" AR15 but this really has me thinking I should just get a 20" OD Green Hellion for that role.
View Quote

Both are very accurate rifles, so... Yes to both.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 7:27:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Just scored one w/ the updated safety and all accessories for well below MSRP. Here's to hoping for a trigger pack.
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 8:09:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By sixrocket:
Here's to hoping for a trigger pack.
View Quote

I hope as well.

As of 5/30 'they' were redesigning the housing.

Fingers crossed I will get something to test soon...
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 11:33:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Odinforever2000:
https://i.imgur.com/yHxIoVM.jpg

Rifle is a 16" Hellion
Shot from a bench with a rear bag (learned I needed this when trying the 1moa challenge and blowing it for my RDB)
1-6 LPVO
View All Quotes

Rifle is a 16" Hellion
1-6 LPVO

Rifle is a 16" Hellion
1-6 LPVO

Never thought about a rear bag. Makes sense though.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 2:16:13 PM EDT
[#30]

I hope as well.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sixrocket:
Here's to hoping for a trigger pack.

I hope as well.

Who is "they?"

Springfield/HS Produkt?
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 8:01:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Karter14171:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Karter14171:

Not yet.

Good news!
JARD is shipping the trigger for me to test.
Apparently it's a one for one swap of the complete trigger pack. The housing is billet aluminum.

I haven't seen any pictures or anything yet. Very curious to see what they've come up with....
Also very much hoping it works well, right off!
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 10:53:43 AM EDT
[#32]

Good news!
Apparently it's a one for one swap of the complete trigger pack. The housing is billet aluminum.

I haven't seen any pictures or anything yet. Very curious to see what they've come up with....
View Quote

That sounds exactly like what I'm after - just a plug and play solution.

Please keep us updated and let us know how it runs and feels!
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 11:02:20 AM EDT
[#33]

Good news!

View Quote

Lucky..
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 6:52:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Tell JARD to send me one, too.

Also, does anyone know have a Manticore buttpad that they don't want?
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 12:03:55 AM EDT
[#35]

Alright!  Me and the 16 inch OD Green are headed to the range tomorrow!  FINALLLLLLY!  I'll report my findings.  Gun has been thoroughly cleaned and lubed and I laser sighted the bore for windage and a bit of elevation.  Unlike the pic, I dropped the spacer from the crappy Vortex to give me almost a perfect co-witness.  This optic WILL change in the future.  Likely to an Aimpoint.

Can anyone please tell me what the short range zero settings and diopter numbers are for the Hellion at anywhere from 10 meters to 25 meters?  I would really apprecaite it as I am a bit to drunk to find the thread on this subject at the moment.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 8:19:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Woo Hoo!

I finally got to shoot mine today!

This morning (when sober) I found the short range zero instructions on pages 5 to 7 seven of this thread.  ( for anyone who needs it ) and they worked perfectly.

I started with the 300 meter diopter at about 25 yards (I know) and got it just low of the target.  Then switched to the 0 aperature and was actually able to dial it in to about 1.5 low at 25.   Then I flipped to 1-2 and dialed it a teeny bit more.  Then I was off to the races at 100.  Like the AUG, this gun is a hitting machine at 100.  I co-witnessed the shitty little red dot for 100 and had a blast shooting from the hoof like a man!  

This gun is almost as smooth as my old AR-180.  It runs like a sewing machine!

This gun BEGS for a good trigger pack!

Kinda went a bit wild and ran though a few more rounds than I intended.  

I kinda want a grey 18 inch now.  If they ever offer the other colors with other barrels.

I really like this gun.

NOTE:  At the end of it all, I ran about 200 rounds in about 45 minutes. (possibly five or ten minutes shorter than that)  This gun gets HOT at the trunion.  The forend gets pretty warm but nothing crazy.  It does cool off fairly quickly.

Link Posted: 7/5/2024 4:40:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Sent my two trigger packs to Bill Springfield.  It was about a two week turnaround.

The triggers are very much improved.  Much lighter; still a bit of travel, but a far nicer two stage trigger.  

Well worth the $75 with return shipping.

Www.triggerwork.net
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 6:29:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BSJ] [#38]
Haven't recieved the JARD trigger pack yet, but this is what I get...
OEM Trigger weight
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 1:08:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Odinforever2000] [#39]
Haven't recieved the JARD trigger pack yet, but this is what I get...
OEM Trigger weight
View Quote

I dont wanna sign up..or download
What's your Oem trigger weight. Mine was 8.5lbs at best
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 8:24:26 PM EDT
[#40]

I dont wanna sign up..or download
What's your Oem trigger weight. Mine was 8.5lbs at best
View Quote

Shouldn't have to do either...

7lb 2oz
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 10:58:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Odinforever2000] [#41]

Shouldn't have to do either...

7lb 2oz
View Quote

Cool. (From my phone it that link wants me to sign up)

The Bill Springfield modification brought my trigger to 4lbs total (2.5lbs take up..1.5lbs to break)
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 12:49:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BSJ] [#42]

Cool. (From my phone it that link wants me to sign up)

The Bill Springfield modification brought my trigger to 4lbs total (2.5lbs take up..1.5lbs to break)
View Quote

You should be able to X out or cancel that prompt.
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 6:54:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Bummer. Version 1.0 is a no-go. Too much friction in the wrong places, in relation to the reciver fit...

Probably going to have to send them the whole rifle now, rather than just the trigger pack.

On the bright side, the JARD version looks to be very well made.

Actuating the little nub that engages the transfer bar, with my thumb, is MUCH easier than the one on the OEM pack. Bodes well for the final product...
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 8:20:59 PM EDT
[#44]

You should be able to X out or cancel that prompt.
View Quote

Not an option on my phone.
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 8:22:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Bummer. Version 1.0 is a no-go. Too much friction in the wrong places, in relation to the reciver fit...

Probably going to have to send them the whole rifle now, rather than just the trigger pack.

On the bright side, the JARD version looks to be very well made.

Actuating the little nub that engages the transfer bar, with my thumb, is MUCH easier than the one on the OEM pack. Bodes well for the final product...
View Quote

Too bad I didn't get to play with it, using my BillSpringfield modified trigger pack for comparison.
Link Posted: 8/7/2024 8:52:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Any word on 20" guns being available in ODG or FDE?
Link Posted: 8/11/2024 9:16:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Pomyluy:
Any word on 20" guns being available in ODG or FDE?
View Quote

Would love a 20” in OD
Link Posted: 8/21/2024 11:36:07 AM EDT
[#48]
I picked up a 20" yesterday. Pretty excited to get it to the range this weekend
Untitled by Frisky Dillo, on Flickr
Untitled by Frisky Dillo, on Flickr
Link Posted: 8/21/2024 11:38:21 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/21/2024 12:19:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Manticore_Arms:

You need a dummy rifle grenade and some blanks!

Sven
Manticore Arms
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Manticore_Arms:
Originally Posted By FriskyDillo:
I picked up a 20" yesterday. Pretty excited to get it to the range this weekend
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53936309142_9de9343452_b.jpgUntitled by Frisky Dillo, on Flickr
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53936308952_5de9154758_b.jpgUntitled by Frisky Dillo, on Flickr

You need a dummy rifle grenade and some blanks!

Sven
Manticore Arms

Oh yeah! I also need somebody to make a bayonet that is keymo compatible
Page / 23
Springfield Hellion VHS 2 (Page 22 of 23)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top