Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2024 2:50:36 PM EDT
Debating changing the gas plug and adding a ARS flash hider to my NATO stocked Aug.
is it worth it? I have AR’s from 14.5” to 18” that I only shoot suppressed. Two 9mm sbr’s that are a hoot with 147 subs.
Being a bullpup your ear is next to the ejection port and the muzzle is close to your face.
After watching some slow motion videos of suppressed firing, I don’t know if it’s worth it.
Those that have it , is the juice worth the squeeze? And the $200 + for plug and flash hider
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 3:20:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 3:57:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I just bought a .300BLK AUG barrel and am about to go suppressor shopping.

I’m told it’s worth it, but I’m gonna find out for myself.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 4:52:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 6:52:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes. Very.

A suppressor plug helps as does a low back pressure can. Not necessarily per se a flow through for example over the barrel with large expansion chamber would be nice too.

The NATO stock suppressed more nice than the waffle mag stock due to the lack of the left ejection port.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 9:11:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, very much worth it.  Between the location of the ejection port and the vented piston system, it isn't going to be as quiet as a tuned AR.  Put a high quality, shortish, lightish can on it and it will be bliss.  I have a taper-mounted gen 2 Griffin Explorr 224 on mine and the whole package is very, very handy.  When I screwed up my shoulder after a dumbass attack a little over a year ago, I was still able to maneuver and shoot with it while I was rocking one arm in a sling  That was an eye-opener for me.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 10:17:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3-gun] [#6]
Ok,I’ll order the gas plug. I have a silencer co Hybrid with 30 cal cap and a omega 30.
I looked and have a 1:2x28 9mm flash hider.
It will be short, that’s for sure.
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 2:10:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By fordkicksass:
Yes, very much worth it.  Between the location of the ejection port and the vented piston system, it isn't going to be as quiet as a tuned AR.  Put a high quality, shortish, lightish can on it and it will be bliss.  I have a taper-mounted gen 2 Griffin Explorr 224 on mine and the whole package is very, very handy.  When I screwed up my shoulder after a dumbass attack a little over a year ago, I was still able to maneuver and shoot with it while I was rocking one arm in a sling  That was an eye-opener for me.
View Quote

correct, the ability to EASILY shoot it with a suppressor on the end is the highpoint of the bullpup

Hold your ar with can in the shooting position for 3 minutes and see how you like that

easily done with an AUG
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 4:51:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Suppress all things
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 6:52:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Kwisak:
Suppress all things
View Quote

100%.

The AUG isn't the best host. But it's absolutely worth it.
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 7:14:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I’m hoping to soon find out how the Lazarus 6 performs on my Aug, now that I have a 1/2-28 barrel and a suppressor gas plug.

SilentMike
Dead Air
AAC 1998-2018
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 9:05:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By tooldforthis:

correct, the ability to EASILY shoot it with a suppressor on the end is the highpoint of the bullpup

Hold your ar with can in the shooting position for 3 minutes and see how you like that

easily done with an AUG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tooldforthis:
Originally Posted By fordkicksass:

easily done with an AUG

I know, the Aug with the Omega appears to be around the same length as the 14.5” AR.
W/o the can.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 7:51:00 AM EDT
[#12]
I would think the Omega with the larger .30 cal bore would help mitigate some of the port noise.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 9:43:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Definitely.
I had a STG-556 and it was much more pleasant suppressed with a 30 caliber can.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 10:07:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Bought a Resilient Jolene S last week. Hopefully my stamp gets approved quickly.

Link Posted: 7/2/2024 6:31:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Form 4 was approved today. I’ll pick up my can on Friday.
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 1:02:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Resilient Jolene S, using a Xeno flash suppressor and mount.

Going to shoot Sunday.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 8:14:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jkirkon] [#17]
I won’t call it a range report, more of a test run with a few comments…but I shot the AUG suppressed today.

I am fairly new to suppressors. I have a rimfire can on a 10/22 I’ve shot for a few years, but have very, very limited experience with suppressed centerfire rifles. Zero experience with a suppressed AUG.
I have owned my AUG for a few years, and it has a few thousand rounds through it prior to sticking the can on it.

Last week, I bought a Resilient ‘Jolene S’ suppressor from Capitol Armory. The guys at CA recommend this suppressor based on my criteria and usage plans.
This is a lightweight Ti can, not rated for full auto fire, but I ain’t going to war anytime soon! I mainly use my AUG for HD and to hunt wild pigs in west Texas. 
Can has a 750°F temp limit. I kept measuring with an infrared thermometer at various stages of shooting to make sure I didn’t get close to the limit, and to get an idea of how many rounds/rate of fire before the can needs to cool down.

Setup as follows: 
Jolene S with DA Xeno HUB adapter and Xeno flash hider. 

Mine has a NATO stock (yeah yeah, I have a fuck ton of AR mags and don’t want to buy the AUG waffle mags), my trigger pack has the 2020 sear, but I’m not using the Steyr red springs. Standard 5.56 Magpul PMAGS were used, no .300 Blk mag follower.

I fired a little over 200 rounds of .300 BLK subsonic. The rifle functioned flawlessly, no hiccups whatsoever.
Steyr strongly recommends that you use the ‘red springs’ in the trigger pack for subsonics to ensure proper cycling.
I thought this might cause a problem for me, but my rifle kept humming along with zero malfunctions of any kind.

Gas port was set at ‘LV’, as Steyr recommends for subsonic ammo.

No POI shift with the can. At all.

I thought the gun was pretty quiet, I did not really note a FRP, although PewScience says they noticed a little when they tested the full size Jolene.

Surprisingly, I didn’t notice much blowback to the face, and it was overall very comfortable to shoot suppressed using subsonics.

There really wasn’t any weight balance issues, but again, the can with HUB adapter is about 10oz total. 

I ran strings of 60 rounds and allowed the can to cool a bit before continuing. Suppressor stayed below 500° even with a brisk rate of fire. 

Because I’m somewhat overly paranoid about mixing up subsonic and supersonic ammo, I neglected to bring supers to test out. I’ll do this next trip.

After the .300 BLK, I let everything cool down awhile, then I swapped over to the 5.56 barrel and mounted the suppressor. I’m also very paranoid about mixing up .300 and 5.56….so I use different color mags, (and mark my .300 sub mags),  and keep everything separate from one another. Including barrels.

Once I got situated again, I fired 60 rounds of M193 5.56. 20 rounds per string.  Measured the can temperature after every string.

As expected, it was a good bit louder, and more gassy, even with the suppressor gas plug at the ‘suppressed’ setting.
Still, much better than unsuppressed, but much less comfortable than the .300BLK subs.
The can heated up faster, as I expected with the hotter loads. I let the can return to about 100° ambient between strings, but it never got above 300° with a brisk rate of fire.

As with the .300BLK barrel, no POI shift.

The gun is dirty as hell, but I find gun cleaning therapeutic!

The .300BLK gas plug was a bitch to get out. It required a tool, and a tap or two on the side of the gas block with a teflon mallet to break it all loose.
I stuck all the parts, including the trigger pack, in the ultrasonic cleaner for a a few minutes, and everything came out shiny and clean.

I have a friend with a ‘flow through’ 5.56 can ( not sure of the manufacturer), he and I discussed trying it out on the AUG. Once we can get our schedules together, we’ll do a comparison, and get more data.
I suspect the flow through suppressor will work better on the 5.56 barrel than the Jolene S does. If so….well, I’ll be buying another suppressor. Don’t tell my wife.

That being said, the Jolene works very well with the .300 BLK barrel and subsonics. I’ll be doing a lot more experimenting with this in the near future.

Is the AUG worth suppressing??  I say…Yes!!! Especially with the .300BLK barrel.

Shooting stuff is fun. Shooting stuff suppressed is MORE fun!

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/7/2024 10:46:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Op, what rear sling swivel do you have?
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 10:51:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By 3-gun:
Op, what rear sling swivel do you have?
View Quote

Corvus defense
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 2:45:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Ok, Aug is done. Red springs, gas plug and suppressor mount.
This is it between a 10.5 9mm and a 14.5
Will hit the range Wednesday.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 10:06:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Ok, Aug is done. Red springs, gas plug and suppressor mount.
This is it between a 10.5 9mm and a 14.5
Will hit the range Wednesday.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/751/image_jpg-3261377.JPG
View Quote

What suppressor are you using? Please post a range report after you shoot.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 12:21:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Omega 30.
First time to shoot it after I launched it down range
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 5:52:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Ok, yes it’s worth. Verified the new gas plug worked then turned it to suppressed setting and added the can. No issues at all with 62gr and m193. It’s not as quite as a 16” AR but better than no can. Ejected brass was clean and not beat up.
I did need to re zero. Between the new flash hider and suppressor the poi was way off. 200 rounds and zero malfunctions and it’s super clean on the inside.
I’m growing very fond of it.
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 10:21:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Ok, yes it’s worth. Verified the new gas plug worked then turned it to suppressed setting and added the can. No issues at all with 62gr and m193. It’s not as quite as a 16” AR but better than no can. Ejected brass was clean and not beat up.
I did need to re zero. Between the new flash hider and suppressor the poi was way off. 200 rounds and zero malfunctions and it’s super clean on the inside.
I’m growing very fond of it.
View Quote

That is strange, why would that have such an impact on zero? Was this the case with the new flash hider and suppressor gas plug with and without a suppressor attached? I have the suppressor gas plug installed but do not yet own a suppressor and I haven not seen any change in zero after the swap.

I may need to verify zero again just to be sure.
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 4:56:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#25]
Originally Posted By pilotshark:

That is strange, why would that have such an impact on zero? Was this the case with the new flash hider and suppressor gas plug with and without a suppressor attached? I have the suppressor gas plug installed but do not yet own a suppressor and I haven not seen any change in zero after the swap.

I may need to verify zero again just to be sure.
View Quote
It's very common for a POI change with a suppressor mounted vs not. That's a lot of weight on the end of the barrel. Harmonics will change.  Sometimes it's a small change in POI, sometimes a lot. You need to verify each host and suppressor.

The gas plug alone could theoretically change zero. It will change the speed of the gas piston. That could have an effect on the barrel.
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 4:58:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pilotshark] [#26]
That makes a lot of sense. Thank you for the reply. I don’t have a suppressor attached to the end of mine which is probably why I did not notice a change. Thanks for the info.

Eta, you should not have deleted your comment. You didn’t directly andwer my question, but it was good information.

Cheers
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 5:02:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By pilotshark:
Eta, you should not have deleted your comment. You didn’t directly andwer my question, but it was good information.
View Quote
Glad it helped!  I forgot exactly what I said, but I put the comment back.
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 5:03:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3-gun] [#28]
Could be the change in recoil pulse, barrel tension, or 16 oz of can hanging on the end of the barrel.
When I have more time in a couple of weeks I’ll have a better idea how it groups with and without the suppressor and how much the impact changes. All in all, I’m happy with it.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 6:06:46 PM EDT
[#29]
IMO it's worth it - you can get a suppressed 16" AUG in the same size as a suppressed 11.5" AR...port pop/gas port pop isn't bad since you'll be wearing ear pro anyway like a responsible person (right? )

And with shorter barrels like that, barrel flex really isn't bad at all; the POI will move but not nearly as much as it would move on a 16" AR with a similar profile barrel.

Originally Posted By Atlmike:
I’m hoping to soon find out how the Lazarus 6 performs on my Aug, now that I have a 1/2-28 barrel and a suppressor gas plug.

SilentMike
Dead Air
AAC 1998-2018
View Quote

Any hints on when that'll hit the light of day for us normies?
Top Top