Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2024 10:05:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: semperfikurt]
As is common knowledge, one major tradeoff with bullpup rifles is additional weight as compared to a DI AR15 type rifle.  To my mind, the advantages of this rifle become far more compelling as the downsides get smaller.  There's more of a value proposition.

To this end I have set out to get the weight of my rifle down as much as possible to maximize the value proposition:  

rifle base weight: 7.9 lbs
swap handguard to manticore optimus -2.9 oz
pin muzzle device and swap butt pad for flat IDF butt plate - approx -3 oz
swap cutlass grip to aftermarket option approx -2 oz
remove iron sights -1.25 oz
remove waist qd socket -.56 oz

new rifle weight after it's Atkins diet: approx 7.3 lbs.

Next there are things we add to the rifle and we can work to choose lightweight options:

Sling: GBRS sling with 550 cord attachment points - 3 oz total
weaponlight: Surefire x300t with pic mount - 4.8 oz
ammunition: 20rds duramag with m193  -11.2 oz (duramag is about 1 oz lighter than comparable pmag), could also do 30 rds for a couple ounces more.
optic setup: acog ta31, rmr, scalarworks mount -14.34 oz
optic setup alternate: acog ta50, rmr, scalarworks mount -9.74 oz

Rifle total, fully loaded: 9.37 lbs for ta31 setup, and 9.09 lbs for ta50 setup
simple red dot setup would be lighter however, not once you factor in flip magnification. For red dot and magnification, the acog is about the lightest game in town. If you want just a T2-ish red dot on a unity mount you are down to about 8.9 pounds
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 2:53:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tomac] [#1]
My X95 weight loss program:
Base rifle = 7lbs 15oz
P&W FH, IDF Buttplate = -3.7oz
Replace cutlass w/IDF PG = -1.3oz
Remove lower & left side rail panel covers = -3oz
Meprolight Tru Vision RDS = 10.3oz
Magpul MS1 sling (trimmed) w/Magpul QDM sling swivels = 6.6oz
Magpul VFG = 2.5oz
Rail Ladders = .3oz
Shoot Right Hammerpack = .2oz
Streamlight HL-X Pro WML w/18650 Battery = 7.1oz

Total unloaded weight = 9lbs 2oz

I could take it down a few more ounces if I used the Underworld Arms pistol grip, a lighter WML and/or an ultralightweight optic.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 3:40:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I have been trying to find weight info on the underworld arms grip but can't find anything.  I think I will wind up just buying one and seeing what it comes in at.  it has to be lighter than the cutlass.  

It is crazy to me how much weight people pile onto their rifles, and how many gidgets and gadgets are hanging off in all different directions.  

If my concept for this rifle had a name it would be "small but mighty" and the lighter I can drive that the more I will like it in use lol.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 4:39:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tavorsterling] [#3]
X95 13" without the optic or the dildo bipod vfg is 6.9lbs

X95 14.5" without optic or bipod vfg is 7.5 lbs.

the optic weighs about .67 lbs so they would be 7.6 lbs and 8.2 lbs respectively

You can shave some weight off the bolt carrier and it will still run reliably, about 2 oz, though I no longer have that X95. Other parts you could probably get a little more aggressive on and shave a few ounces here and there, but imho it wasn't worth the effort to possibly save 4-6oz at most. The whole polymer shell with aluminum chassis system really adds weight. Look at the Carmel, being 8+ lbs. To save weight you really need to go the route of the WLVRN, aluminum extrusion and poly lower, and that gun is lighter than the X95 even in 308.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 5:14:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tomac] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By semperfikurt:
I have been trying to find weight info on the underworld arms grip but can't find anything.  I think I will wind up just buying one and seeing what it comes in at.  it has to be lighter than the cutlass.  

It is crazy to me how much weight people pile onto their rifles, and how many gidgets and gadgets are hanging off in all different directions.  

If my concept for this rifle had a name it would be "small but mighty" and the lighter I can drive that the more I will like it in use lol.
View Quote

@semperfikurt
The UA pistol grip w/bolt is about 2.4oz lighter than the cutlass w/bolt, the IDF pistol grip w/bolt is about 1.3oz lighter than the cutlass w/bolt.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 9:48:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Tomac:

@semperfikurt
The UA pistol grip w/bolt is about 2.4oz lighter than the cutlass w/bolt, the IDF pistol grip w/bolt is about 1.3oz lighter than the cutlass w/bolt.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Tomac:

@semperfikurt

brilliant, thanks!
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 11:59:52 AM EDT
[#6]
brilliant, thanks!
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/4/2024 2:11:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By tavorsterling:
X95 13" without the optic or the dildo bipod vfg is 6.9lbs

https://i.imgur.com/hWw7mjo.jpg

X95 14.5" without optic or bipod vfg is 7.5 lbs.

https://i.imgur.com/HABwPkU.jpg

the optic weighs about .67 lbs so they would be 7.6 lbs and 8.2 lbs respectively

You can shave some weight off the bolt carrier and it will still run reliably, about 2 oz, though I no longer have that X95. Other parts you could probably get a little more aggressive on and shave a few ounces here and there, but imho it wasn't worth the effort to possibly save 4-6oz at most. The whole polymer shell with aluminum chassis system really adds weight. Look at the Carmel, being 8+ lbs. To save weight you really need to go the route of the WLVRN, aluminum extrusion and poly lower, and that gun is lighter than the X95 even in 308.
View Quote

Nice! Did you convert to the 13" bbl or buy them as factory SBR's? They're OOS on the SBR kits right now

Just waiting for the JK Armament VERSAX 12 to be approved and the Bald Eagle muzzle device(backorder) to be shipped for the TS12.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/4/2024 10:22:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By masterofpew:

Nice! Did you convert to the 13" bbl or buy them as factory SBR's? They're OOS on the SBR kits right now

Just waiting for the JK Armament VERSAX 12 to be approved and the Bald Eagle muzzle device(backorder) to be shipped for the TS12.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/152407/Screenshot_20240704_130003_Gallery_jpg-3258118.JPG
View Quote

It a factory barrel. My 14.5 is a 16 I cut down though.
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 8:58:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dblazevich] [#9]
IMO cutting the barrel down is better than buying factory. That way you get a slightly smaller gas port and can tame some of this over gassing
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top