BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 10:20:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That reason is fundamentally the same reason for all the ’50s and ’60s references in the ’80s and ’90s. Remember the rise of “oldies” radio stations? The sappy PBS specials where boomers told themselves how unique and special their generation was? Hell, “Back to the Future?” Nostalgia sells, and guys and gals in their 40s and 50s are a valuable marketing demographic. That’s us now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
the 80s was the best.  I would LOVE to re-live it all again

there is a reason out culture even in 2019 still  references it in all forms of media and new retro wave synth is so popular
That reason is fundamentally the same reason for all the ’50s and ’60s references in the ’80s and ’90s. Remember the rise of “oldies” radio stations? The sappy PBS specials where boomers told themselves how unique and special their generation was? Hell, “Back to the Future?” Nostalgia sells, and guys and gals in their 40s and 50s are a valuable marketing demographic. That’s us now.
Also in the ‘80s, middle aged men used to go about their days doing the Clint Eastwood cringe at the sight of rockers dressed like chicks, mullets, Michael Jackson, little rectangular cars that looked like electric shavers, and other stuff.

Those men used to go home, retreat to their basement bars or garages, turn on some Sinatra or Elvis, and reminisce about a time when men were strong but classy, when society had a sense of decency, when cars were big and American and colorful with chrome, and so on.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 10:20:47 PM EDT
[#2]
It was an amazing time to see indeed, even as a malcontent punk rocker latch key kid. Or especially because of it.

Who played last night? I dont know, I forgot, but diving off the stage was a lot of fun.........
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 10:32:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Don't know about FaceBook, but SJW's of the time also claimed that the line "beating on the bongos like a chimpanzee"
was somehow inherently racist.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was not a real downside:  German beer, German women, topless pools/beaches, did I mention German beer?
81-82 1-77 Armor Gelnhausen
83-84 3AD GT-T Drake Edwards (Frankfurt)

ETA: At least the 80s version of Money for Nothing had the "F" word, unlike the censored version classic radio stations play now.
For you young-n's
see the little F_____ with the ear ring and make up
Yes, that's his own hair.
The little F________'s got his own jet airplane
The little F______ is a millionaire.
Posting the actual lyrics will get your account locked on Facebook.
Don't know about FaceBook, but SJW's of the time also claimed that the line "beating on the bongos like a chimpanzee"
was somehow inherently racist.
Always usually says a lot more about the interpreter than the writer.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 10:35:38 PM EDT
[#4]
From what my millennial brain was capable of gleaning froma way too fucking long OP, all I gotta say is

Link Posted: 2/14/2019 10:42:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Old dudes gonna old dude.
View Quote
Don't be jealous, bro... and you're wrong. I'm not old until the end of the year.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 10:48:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Don't be jealous, bro... and you're wrong. I'm not old until the end of the year.
View Quote
Gettin a head start I take it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 10:49:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I can’t wait to see what my generation destroys next

Link Posted: 2/14/2019 10:56:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 11:11:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I had so much fun with that thing...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 11:17:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Magic Johnson is still alive..........WTF?
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 11:18:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I was at Drake in 88-90. Remember Johns and that chicken place?

Aviator
View Quote
Hell yes.  Good times.  Though I spent most of my free time in the clubs  on the outskirts of K strassa.  Saw some amazing shit  there and met some wild women.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 12:40:45 AM EDT
[#12]
That is awesome!

Right click... save
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 12:46:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It was an amazing time to see indeed, even as a malcontent punk rocker latch key kid. Or especially because of it.

Who played last night? I dont know, I forgot, but diving off the stage was a lot of fun.........
View Quote
As sophomores in High School, you and your shitty band could play a matinee show at CBGB’s and warm up for the Butthole Surfers.

No YouTube or Instagram fame.  Not even American Idol.  But in that tiny scene....
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 3:34:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The first hint I had was 1976, however. Prior to 1976 I thought patriotism was dead. In '76 I found out otherwise.
View Quote
I was in third grade in 1976.  Most of what I remember from that year was red, white, and blue...and that bicentennial logo.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 3:51:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Worst thing about 80's cars and motorcycles....Speedos only went up to 85.
View Quote
Huh.   Not the way I remember it.

Link Posted: 2/15/2019 4:08:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That just added to its awesomeness
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 4:41:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I was in third grade in 1976.  Most of what I remember from that year was red, white, and blue...and that bicentennial logo.
View Quote
I have a bicentennial frisbee in a box somewhere. It has this logo as I recall:

Link Posted: 2/15/2019 4:57:23 AM EDT
[#18]
DR    since wrong.   Try 50s.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 10:40:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have a bicentennial frisbee in a box somewhere. It has this logo as I recall:

https://i.imgur.com/VsgkXsE.jpg
View Quote
That's the one!

Back to the '80s:

Link Posted: 2/15/2019 10:45:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It’s going to be interesting to see what shows up with that nostalgia wave.

The first half of the decade was probably dominated by patriotic themes in response to 9/11. There will probably be a series of GWOT themed movies like we got for Vietnam in the ‘80s-90s.

The Fast & the Furious and the tuner culture will probably be remembered in surprisingly fond terms. People who disliked that will probably look back to big beasts like the Ford Excursion, 3/4ton Suburbans, Hummers, Escalades, and Avalanches. The ‘00s were also effectively the last cars that didn’t have infotainment systems and were less likely to be found with CVTs, cylinder deactivation, and other current complexities people dislike.

Chicks in low rise jeans are for sure going to be talked about.

Music? Most of the rock was pretty forgettable. EDM didn’t make the big leap until the ‘10s. I guess one thing that could be said is that Country hadn’t been completely taken over by hip hop influence yet.

All of this and more will be rose tinted in a decade or so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
the 80s was the best.  I would LOVE to re-live it all again

there is a reason out culture even in 2019 still  references it in all forms of media and new retro wave synth is so popular
Fetishizing an era gone by has pretty much always been a thing.

Fake '50s memorabilia was everywhere when I was growing up, and there was another Woodstock in the '90s. '90s music also had a lot of parallels between it and '60s stuff.
Yeah, in 15-20 more years it's going to be interesting when there are lots of references and throw backs to the early 2000's.

Around 2010-2013 I recall the kids wearing a lot 90's type pastels and ridiculous looking high tops becoming a thing again.
It’s going to be interesting to see what shows up with that nostalgia wave.

The first half of the decade was probably dominated by patriotic themes in response to 9/11. There will probably be a series of GWOT themed movies like we got for Vietnam in the ‘80s-90s.

The Fast & the Furious and the tuner culture will probably be remembered in surprisingly fond terms. People who disliked that will probably look back to big beasts like the Ford Excursion, 3/4ton Suburbans, Hummers, Escalades, and Avalanches. The ‘00s were also effectively the last cars that didn’t have infotainment systems and were less likely to be found with CVTs, cylinder deactivation, and other current complexities people dislike.

Chicks in low rise jeans are for sure going to be talked about.

Music? Most of the rock was pretty forgettable. EDM didn’t make the big leap until the ‘10s. I guess one thing that could be said is that Country hadn’t been completely taken over by hip hop influence yet.

All of this and more will be rose tinted in a decade or so.
The Fast and the Furious vibe will probably be one of the big ones.

For one, the cars and the style were very cool for the time, and that series is (somehow) still afloat so the kids will have some sort of connection to it when they seek out the original movies and the associated styles in them.

The original is still one of my all time favorite nostalgic movies, it came out at exactly the right time, captured it, and I was a young man and thought it was the coolest thing in the world.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 10:56:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

For one, the cars and the style were very cool for the time, and that series is (somehow) still afloat so the kids will have some sort of connection to it when they seek out the original movies and the associated styles in them.

The original is still one of my all time favorite nostalgic movies, it came out at exactly the right time, captured it, and I was a young man and thought it was the coolest thing in the world.
View Quote
The actual popular car in the first movie was the Charger.
That's why they started loading up every sequel with muscle cars.
Nobody cared about the rest of those garbage imports.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 10:58:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

People my age did. It seemed like everyone in college around that time had a civic with a body kit and a fart can on it. Some of the guys with rich parents had and Evo or WRX (also usually with a body kit and an exhaust)
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 12:33:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

People my age did. It seemed like everyone in college around that time had a civic with a body kit and a fart can on it. Some of the guys with rich parents had and Evo or WRX (also usually with a body kit and an exhaust)
View Quote
They were very common, can't say as I am sad to to see that fad die.

I had a '90 Plymouth Laser RS turbo (restickered FWD Eclipse) and those stupid things would not leave me alone.  Black car, stock exhaust (had a wing but thankfully someone stole it off the car before I bought it) so they didn't really know what I had for sure... everybody wanted to run against me.

It was ant vs boot
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 1:11:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Old man yells at cloud.

When people think of F&F, they don't think of '60s muscle cars. THE star car of the original F&F movie was Paul Walker's MkIV Supra. That's not even debatable. What is also not debatable is how popular modified imports became. You couldn't drive anywhere without seeing a modified (usually badly) Japanese car with a spoiler, body kit, fart can, and 87 decals. The "damn kids these days" rants about those cars were never-ending.

Look at the prices of MkIV Supras or other cars from that scene like 240SXs, Lancer Evos, WRXs, and RX7s, and compare them to other cars of their time. People love those cars.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 1:20:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Old man yells at cloud.

When people think of F&F, they don't think of '60s muscle cars. THE star car of the original F&F movie was Paul Walker's MkIV Supra. That's not even debatable. What is also not debatable is how popular modified imports became. You couldn't drive anywhere without seeing a modified (usually badly) Japanese car with a spoiler, body kit, fart can, and 87 decals. The "damn kids these days" rants about those cars were never-ending.

Look at the prices of MkIV Supras or other cars from that scene like 240SXs, Lancer Evos, WRXs, and RX7s, and compare them to other cars of their time. People love those cars.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Old man yells at cloud.

I don't play racing games much, but when I do the Civic is usually one of the first ones I go for, and I eventually try to get an Evo with every mod. (provided they are offered in that game anyway).

I really should buy a copy of NFSU2 for my PS3, Gran Turismo is great, but it's a little too realistic for casual play.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 1:25:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Old man yells at cloud.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Old man yells at cloud.

In the 1980s, no one would have cared about any of that.

We were too busy kicking ass, partying and being AWESOME to wallow in trivial discussions about such nonsense.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 1:33:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

We were too busy kicking ass, partying and being AWESOME to wallow in trivial discussions about such nonsense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Old man yells at cloud.

You guys liked your funny looking cars in the 80's too.

Link Posted: 2/15/2019 1:37:11 PM EDT
[#28]
80’s music sucks.

TLDR
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 1:40:51 PM EDT
[#29]
I was born in the middle 60's, grew up in the 70's and high school at the beginning of the 80's. The 80's were awesome.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 1:42:12 PM EDT
[#30]
G. H. W. Bush was not Reagan's choice for V.P. but the party told him take him or kiss the nomination goodbye.  Then within two years there was an assassination attempt on Reagan. Luckily for us, he survived.  Reagan spent a lot of money, but wanted the best for all Americans.

G. H. W. Bush rejected health care prevention and ushered in the deep state. When the economy hit a wall, his popularity dropped and so Bubba got the presidency.  The legislation that couldn't be passed under Bush were passed under Bubba. This includes repeal of the Glass Steagall (which removed the distinction between investment banks and saving banks) as well as outsourcing of American middle class production jobs (NAFTA).  Mind you, the first crack in the door for middle class jobs began with H1B under Reagan.

Under Bubba lot of of Americans became former middle class as their jobs went overseas.  Silicon Valley wasn't making boards and that went overseas.  So did a lot of other industry.  In the early '90s, I met more and more former six figure middle class who were now penniless and homeless.  It only accelerated during Bubba's reign as more and more jobs fled overseas as we "transitioned" to a service economy.  I knew it meant trouble since service workers made a lot less than middle class production jobs.  After the DotCom bubble burst, to compensate for the loss of revenue, we got the Greenspan Put that caused housing prices to rise.  Along with easy credit, we got the illusion of wealth.

It came to a crashing halt under Dubya.  While not his fault, many lost their homes as the housing bubble burst.  We got TARP and ate a big sh*t sammich as the big banks/brokerage houses got bailed out at our expense.  We also got QE under Osama Ben BerNank that began the decline of the dollar as the world's reserve currency.  Chinese responded by dumping Treasury Bonds (long term) for Treasury Bills (short term).  Thus Operation Twist where the Fed Res bought up the unwanted bonds to sustain the value/demand for them.

Under BathHouse Barry, the popping bubbles were patched and reinflated. Houses that were foreclosed on were kept off the market to sustain the prices of those on the market.  The bubble began to be reinflated.  Subprime refired up and extended to auto sales (which allows for quick sales today instead of future sales which are more secured).  All the QE has resulted in the dollar being discarded more frequently.  Many nations don't use the dollar when they trade among themselves.  China doesn't when it trades with Europe, England, Canada and Australia.  Even the ECB is talking about bypassing the dollar when it comes to trade now.  China asked that the Yuan become part of the IMF's basket of currency that constitutes the SDR.  IMF said, f*ck you China and China threw a tantrum by dumping a lot of Treasuries on the market.  China asked again and the IMF agreed this time.  The dollar is going to lose its world's reserve status.

The sage continues under Trump (he inherited a sh*t stew from his predecessors) and we get a lot of B. S. about how healthy the economy is.  It's makeup on a pig and when the curtain drops, we will all be in a fecal stew.  Trump is doing what he can (by continuing the practice of manipulating statistics) to keep it going.  The gift of time allows for individuals to take mitigation measures.

The '80s were the best.  It was a time of Pax Americana which we've been squandering away through the flight of wealth (outsourcing for offshore profits) and endless wars (thanks Dubya & Bathhouse Barry).

Nomi Prins' All the Presidents' Bankers is a good read on the subject as is Karl Denninger's Leverage.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 1:48:47 PM EDT
[#31]
I just got cold chills watching that trailer again. That movie had everyone scared shitless. I have a copy on DVD
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 2:00:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Old man yells at cloud.

View Quote
Then explain why they pack every one of the sequels with real muscle cars.

20 years from now nobody is going to be restoring their shitty WRX or RX7...
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 3:29:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Old man yells at cloud.

Most of the sequels aren't car movies, they are over the top action movies.

Tokyo Drift was the next best movie in the franchise, also a car movie.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 4:39:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Old man yells at cloud.

20 years?

People are restoring stuff like that now.

Here are a bunch of restorations on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=rx7+restoration

And the ones that don't need restoration are going for big money. Here's a '94 RX-7 that went for $50k:

Here's Why the 1990s Mazda RX-7 Is Getting Really Expensive

People are also spending big money for legally imported Nissan Skylines from the early '90s.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 5:24:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Garth Brooks killed the 80's

Change my mind
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 5:29:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Change my mind
View Quote
Nirvana killed the 80s.

Change my mind.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 5:36:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Nirvana killed the 80s.

Change my mind.
View Quote
Nirvana had a bigger impact on fashion than music.

Change my mind

at least they killed all those crazy neon bright colors from the 80's
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 5:37:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
80’s music sucks.

TLDR
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 5:39:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 7:25:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The '80's were great because you had the tools to do crazy stupid fun stuff, but the technology was primitive enough you probably wouldn't get caught.
You could never get away with what most kids did in the 80's, today.

Bunch of kids chasing each other around the neighborhood with multi-pump air rifles?
Active shooter scenario.

Soak a tennis ball in gas, light it, and play hacky sack?
Yeah.

Don't get me started on the whole CS tear gas grenade incident....

Given, I wish we had Airsoft growing up.
View Quote
4th of July bottle rocket wars - cut the end off a Wiffel Bat & you have a miniature LAW rocket to shoot at your friends...
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 7:31:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Janet Gardner of Vixen was the hottest lady of the '80's.  That blond hair, that look...

God I miss the '80's!

https://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_400/MI0001/329/MI0001329571.jpg?partner=allrovi.com
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
fail, the op forgot to mention:

Fast Times at Ridgemont High and Susanna Hoffs

http://res.cloudinary.com/culturemap-com/image/upload/ar_7:4,c_fill,g_faces:center,w_1200/v1525978154/photos/9520_original.jpg
Janet Gardner of Vixen was the hottest lady of the '80's.  That blond hair, that look...

God I miss the '80's!

https://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_400/MI0001/329/MI0001329571.jpg?partner=allrovi.com
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 4:14:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Old man yells at cloud.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Old man yells at cloud.

Lol really? That must be why they sell 87 varieties of F&F Charger toys (that my kid is begging me to buy) along with plenty of other American iron.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

There's definitely a slant in F&F marketing and it ain't to the import side.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 4:22:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Go to a bar Saturday night. Get 7 sets of phone numbers. Get 7 different wimmins for the next 7 days.
Without tinder and all that crap.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 4:26:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Go to a bar Saturday night. Get 7 sets of phone numbers. Get 7 different wimmins for the next 7 days.
Without tinder and all that crap.
View Quote
I can believe it.

Gonorrhea rate by year

Link Posted: 2/16/2019 4:55:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I fucked everything.
View Quote
I knew a guy that died of AIDS in 1981.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 5:32:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

First song was Buggles - Video Killed The Radio Star.  Second was Pat Benetar - You Better Run.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yup, I was there when MTV made it's debut...First song was Dire Straits "Money For Nothing".

And if you couldn't pull chics in the 80's it was because you were gay.

First song was Buggles - Video Killed The Radio Star.  Second was Pat Benetar - You Better Run.
Yeah, I watched it live.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 5:49:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
free love no aids
View Quote
No..........that was the 60's and early 70's.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 5:53:44 PM EDT
[#48]
My 1982 GPz750 speedo only went up to 85.

My 1983 R80G/S P-D speedo only went up to 85.

I rode at 85mph regularly. Maybe I went faster. I couldn't tell.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 5:57:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Change my mind
View Quote
No, the 1980s killed Garth Brooks.

He reacted by putting out a punk/new wave album, which turned him into a laughingstock.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 5:58:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Horrible farm crisis and massive layoffs down at the factory. That was pretty much the 80s in the midwest.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top