Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 5:05:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought it because I like to go 4-wheelin', and up here in the northeast you pretty much need one in the wintertime if you want to be able to get around. I've owned 9 vehicles so far and every single one has been a 4x4 - I just don't see any logical reason to buy a 2WD (unless price is the most important criterion) when a 4x4 will do everything the 2WD will, and then some.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 5:08:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

1. I can.
2. The environazis get ulcers when they see my 4WD coming.
3. Its paid for.
4. The environazis get ulcers when they see my 4WD coming.
5. Because the S  will one day  HTF.

View Quote

I could not have said that better myself, Garandman...
I have two more reasons to add to your list;

6. Because I occasionally go camping in the mountains.
7. Chicks dig Jeeps.

Edited cuz I cant shpell.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 5:11:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Since my teen years I always wanted a Jeep.  So, in 98, when I was able;  I bought one....To this day, it's been in my garage on stands every winter, and in fact, when it rains in summer (when it's in use), and even at night it's kept in the garage with the top down ...It's pristine and never been out in the rain or even off pavement.  Only once on my street I tried the 4 x 4 to hear it roll....Drove it to the shooting range once.  My heirs will get it. IN PERFECT SHAPE.  A museum piece....CRAZY??? Maybe.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 5:25:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I got mine because I wanted a truck that I could really use to do stuff in. Not just to throw junk in the back. Personally, I don't really see the point in having a truck that isn't 4WD if you plan on taking it hunting and fishing and stuff. If you live in the city and just want it to throw softball bats in the back of, then that is a different story and perfectly understandable, but if you plan on going out in the sticks you [b]need[/b] a 4WD.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 6:05:26 PM EDT
[#5]
1) Got cattle.
2) Got a farm.
3) Got a hunting lease.
4) Got a 4x4.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 6:33:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I have 160 acres at 9000 feet, so I need one especially in the winter and for hunting season.

It has less than 3000 miles on it and 10% have been in four wheel drive.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 6:48:36 PM EDT
[#7]
One 4WD each for me and my wife.
Both with ABS.
Reason? Snow in the winter.
A few times each year we use it for mud when shooting or such, but it is not a real consideration.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 7:08:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a 2WD 2001 2-door Blazer! Nice and sporty, and still pisses off the liberals!

The most off-roading I do is driving on the school grounds at work helping the techs deliver PC's to the back of buildings.

It's also used for hauling guns to the range, and my bike to the local bike path.

I knew I wouldn't use the 4WD, so I didn't want to pay for it.

[:D]

Av.

Link Posted: 1/9/2002 7:30:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 7:34:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes, for shooting trips to the desert.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 7:34:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't use 4WD much, but I like having it in case I do need it and I also thought it would be a good idea with all the hurricanes blowing through here in the last few years.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 7:37:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
 Why did you buy a 4x4 vehicle, and do you actually use the 4x4 feature.  Help me win a bet.
View Quote

In 1992 I wanted/nedd a new car.  My '80 Z28 was on it's last legs and I needed something I didn't have to work on all weekend to be able to drive to work during the week.  I wanted a convertible, but a used corvette convertible and a new Mustang convertible would run me 5 grand every 6 months just in insurance.  I was driving looking for cars when I past a Jeep dealer and remember the Wranger was not only a convertible but hell I could take the doors off too, so I went in plopped down 1000 bucks signed some papers and drove off in my new Jeep.  Yes I've been off roading, but mostly I use the 4 wheel drive in the winter when we have bad snow (well bad for down here...3 inches will grind Long Island to a halt)
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 7:48:15 PM EDT
[#13]
yeah, i own a 4x4, '96 suburban.  and heck yeah i use it.  haven't used it much yet since it's only about 2 months old to me (just got it in november).  but it did save my arse climbing up the frickin' rockies in new mexico on sheer ice.  even if it was just the peace of mind of knowing i had a little more wheel control on that surface.  whew!

but we've got some big plans for that baby:  lots of hiking/fishing/camping/shooting places here that require 4x4 to get there.

eventually we're gonna get an old model chevy blazer, jack the bejeezus out of it, and use it for off-roading type stuff that we don't want to mess up the 'burban in (no more arizona pin striping by nature, thank you very much, heh, M1A-A1???).
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 7:50:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Got it before Y2K, just in case.
Chose a '92 GMC Jimmy 4-door because it was low mileage and smaller (for tighter places).
Used the 4-wheel drive when hunting and shooting.
Having it is better than needing it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 7:57:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
On our first snow day of the year we had 104 wrecks and 80% of the vehicles involved were 4X4s.  Not to demean the guys here but some people are not aware that all cars in the US come with factory standard four wheel stop.  I have watched many a lifted full size pick up roar by traffic on the extreme left only to be the first dumbass of the day to have a wreck.  Planerench out.
View Quote

this is exactly why i hate the yuppies who get 4wd.  i knew  a guy once who said he bought a grand cherokee to get around in the snow.  at the time it was in indianapolis.  now indy does get some snow.  but never has it ever been so bad that i couldn't fill the back of the pick up with some of it and drive around town (on 2wd mind you without ever getting stuck).  

i hate that they forget the fundamentals of physics:  things in motion tend to stay in motion and the faster they're going the longer it takes them to stop.  suuuuuuurrrrrrrreeeeeee, 4wd will help them go, but it doesn't do diddly squat to help them stop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 8:01:58 PM EDT
[#16]
I travel qutie a bit on mountain forest-service roads.  Quite a few places are impassable without 4wd when it rains heavily or snows.  Also, my truck has 10 1/2 inches of ground clearance at the rear axle.  And even this is marginal on some of the more primitive roads. Theres no way other (stock) vehicles like the SUVs -suburban, duragno, most full-size pickups, etc. would be able to travel these roads without some damage.  But I do need some 33's!!!

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid28/pecbd2dc9443a5baa384be10b60e8d6aa/fe0290ae.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 8:46:07 PM EDT
[#17]
No need for 4WD here, either....

[img]http://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v4/4/30/45/28943045aNFbybBDLA_ph.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 8:49:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I got one for a couple of reasons:

1.)  Towing a boat.  I've seen a few 2 wheel drive trucks lose traction on the boat ramp and end up in the water.
View Quote

By any chance was that in Lake Conroe [}:D]

Almost happened to me when my friend tried to pull my boat from the public boat ramp in 2wd off of Seven Coves Road.  Ever seen a K2500 Suburban spinning its rear tires on a public ramp.  Pissed me off and gave everyone there a good laugh, "Hey look at those idiots!"
After that I placed my boat in Anchorage Marina next door and used their valet parking.  A lot less headache and I can go by myself now.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 8:58:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Well, seemed like everyone had one so I got one.  No seriously, when and if I need it I want it, so I bought the best, Range Rover.  I don't selectively use four wheel, I use it full time.  No excuses here.  Here we go!

Kentlik
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 9:03:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Bought a 98' Pathfinder SE 4x4 just a couple months ago for a few reasons: Rottweilers - dont fit well in the Dodge Spirit [:)], crappy NY snow [:(]and dependability.

Dont intend to do much 'off roading' with it though if any.

Plus it just looks kick ass with an HK sticker on it!
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 9:15:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I don't selectively use four wheel, I use it full time.  

Kentlik
View Quote

Seriously?

If you are using 4wd full-time on paved roads, I would recommend you stop doing that right away.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 9:37:12 PM EDT
[#22]
I bought it because I wanted to go places like this:

[img]http://www.vanfossen.org/images/camp_day_one.jpg[/img]

and this:

[img]http://www.vanfossen.org/images/lunch_day_two.jpg[/img]

Do I use it?  What do you think?

[img]http://www.vanfossen.org/images/sightseeing.jpg[/img]

-kill-9
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 10:06:12 PM EDT
[#23]
I went with 4x4 'cuz I live in Canada.

Spending a night in a -35C vehicle on a deserted stretch of shut-down highway, waiting until someone finds you, isn't a popular practice up here.  Then again, you could try to walk to the nearest farmhouse instead.  My grandfather tried that - he died on the way to the hospital.

Last used 4x4 last night while entering an uncleared parking lot.  4x2 got me stuck and sliding down a slope towards nearby trees - 4x4 gave me directional stability and access to the parking lot.

Despite the disadvanteages, I'm still considering going back to rwd 4x2 as the drivetrain seems a bit more rugged than in most passenger vehicle 4x4s.  I've blown 3 hubs, several u joints and a transmission on my 3/4 ton 4x4 in the last 100K.  By my calculations I could have used those repair bills to buy some nifty comms gear, a winch, several years worth of roadside assistance and still have enough left over to have a rental vehicle delivered whenever I get stuck.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 10:29:43 PM EDT
[#24]
bought a 4x4 to get the hell away from sheeple from time to time.

[img]http://monkeymilitia.hypermart.net/images/or.jpg[/img]

[img]http://monkeymilitia.hypermart.net/images/or2.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 10:34:51 PM EDT
[#25]
I liked the way the Jeep looked, but I use 4WD all the time in the snow, mud and even in the rain if I have to go up or down my driveway at all.

Lots of cargo capacity of course, and carries five.

Mostly I just like Jeeps.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 10:40:02 PM EDT
[#26]
got a 81 cheyenne 160k miles 4.1 liter, got no youngums and no need for a car!  if you got four wheels and only two of them turn, thats like having 12 guns at home and none with you when you need one.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 11:34:18 PM EDT
[#27]
I bought my '94 3/4 ton 454 4x4 Suburban because weighing 5900lbs it's the closest thing to a steet legal Sherman tank I could buy...

Besides, last time I was at your place Paspecops, I got stuck on your steep grassy hill with my 2wd dually...
That was the clincher for me...
Trying to look like a cool tough guy in front of a bunch of gun nuts, I got stuck trying to climb the hill...Barely made it up...
Also, riding along with you while you drug those giant piles of hay up a steep embankment for shooting backstops was pretty convincing[:D]
They were as big as your Full sized Blazer !!!

Maybe we could have a tug-o-war next time I'm up [:D]
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 5:20:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Well, I bought it when I lived in Washington State, lots of big hills, snow, rain, mud, that type of stuff there.

Now I am in Georgia, and I think it's a law or something that if you own a gun you must also own a four wheel drive.

Yes I do use 4WD when plowing through the GA mud on the back roads, and the once every once in a while it snows around here.

Besides, I have a nice car for road trips and stuff, and the 4WD is paid for and I can afford to waste a little gas, so why not keep it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 5:46:05 AM EDT
[#29]
I got's a '92 K1500 Xcab shortbox 4X4.  I love it.  I have to get to work at any time, day or night, whatever the weather, and here in Wisconsin we do get some snow.  

I drive anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour to get to work depending on where I am working.  When my POS AMC built 86 Cherokee started to go south on me, I started looking for a truck.  I liked the full size chevy, but a thought a V-8 would suck as far as fuel mileage so I was looking for one with the 4.3L V-6, and a manual trans for reliability.  I got lucky and found mine equipped with exactly what I wanted, plus it had the Silverado package, used but in great shape, one owner, with 73,000 miles, and in my price range!

I live on a road that doesn't get plowed or anything for 12-24 hours after a major storm.  Last year, we had a lot of storms.  3 or 4 times I came home at 10-15 MPH in 4wd through a foot or more of virgin snow with ice underneath!!  Also crested a hill once at 40mph, and plowed smack into a drift that was almost up to the roof.  Before I hit, I managed to quick pray someone wasn't stuck in there, drop to 3rd and bag it.  Plowed right through.  That was scary but very cool.  I also hunt some mildly remote areas and haul motorcycles, wood, building materials, etc.  So as you can see, I have one because I need the capability.

P.S.  5 years and a lot of hard use later, it's paid off, at 224,000 miles, and finally broke down.  Had to change the fuel pump.  That makes one fuel pump, one alternator, one fan belt, one exhaust, 4 sets of tires, one front suspension part, and a whole bunch of oil changes so far.  Give me a 90-94 Chevy any day, any way!!!

(geez, I am long winded today!! Time for sleepy time!)
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:05:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Yes, the last four vehicles I've owned have been 4x4s. I buy them so I can both play in the mud/dirt & can always get home if it snows. Plus it pisses off the tree huggers!
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 11:37:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Okay, maybe its just me but by Jeep GC truly _bites_ in snow, slides around more than a friggin Saab and forget about stopping while going downhill faster than 15mph.  Tires still have plenty of tread...

I previously had a Subaru Outback that while underpowered was far, far superior in driving through snow, ice, and driving rain.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 4:08:24 PM EDT
[#32]
I've got 2, a 1996 full size Bronco and a 2002 Xterra.

We use them to tow our skiff, surf fish at the Outer Banks and the occasional trip to the woods.
And of course when the weathers bad...And I do know how to drive in the snow.

Plus we can fit mucho gear in both.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 4:41:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kentlik
View Quote

Seriously?

If you are using 4wd full-time on paved roads, I would recommend you stop doing that right away.
View Quote

Many new 4x4's are full time four wheel drive they go all the time without the t-case locked, basically giving you all wheel drive, and when you want true four wheel drive you pull the lever to lock the t-case.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 5:05:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Many new 4x4's are full time four wheel drive they go all the time without the t-case locked, basically giving you all wheel drive, and when you want true four wheel drive you pull the lever to lock the t-case.
View Quote

Yup, just like the NP203 in a '73 Chevy. My, hasn't Toyota come a long way?
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 6:19:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup, just like the NP203 in a '73 Chevy. My, hasn't Toyota come a long way?
View Quote

Probably the best transfer case ever designed, IMO. It could have used lower low range gearing, but that's fixed rather easily. Plus, the powerful V8s and I6s of the time somewhat made up for its tall gearing. I like hearing people say how it's not as strong as an NP205 - to that I say "prove it!" I've owned 4 75-79 Dodge trucks, all with NP203s, and 2 of them had transfer cases filled with gear oil instead of 10W40 when I bought them. I never had a hint of a problem from either of them, though - put engine oil in an NP205 and see how long it lasts!
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 6:36:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kentlik
View Quote

Seriously?

View Quote

It runs all wheel drive full time only.  No two wheel drive at all.  Full time all wheel!
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 6:46:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kentlik
View Quote

Seriously?

View Quote

It runs all wheel drive full time only.  No two wheel drive at all.  Full time all wheel!
View Quote

Ok, cool.  Looks like I've got some reading to do.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 6:51:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Me and the wife live out in the sticks on a gravel road. There have been times where the road had been covered in ice for weeks on end (no road crews here).

Four wheel drive is a necessity.

She get's the Land Rover, of course, and I get the 4X4 Toyota. But then I also use my 4X4 as my work truck.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 6:59:47 PM EDT
[#39]
4 X 4 you say ?   How about a 94 Hummer ?  It spends most of its time off road, is not a daily driver.  Mud is fun, but a bitch to get back off.  Deep snow, yes.  Sand, yes.

We have a Suburban also, 4 wheel drive only for snow.

All I need now is a Expedition, and we'll have 3 of the worst gas mileage vehicles on the road !!
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 7:01:12 PM EDT
[#40]
So I could get stuck FARTHER FROM THE ROAD, and have more parts that can break and need fixin'.

I also subscribe to the "I prefer to drive over it rather than around it" principle.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 8:37:31 PM EDT
[#41]
I got 4x4 mostly for snow.  However, it handles just fine with the transfer case in the unlocked "AWD" position so I rarely go 4Hi or 4Lo.

Francisco
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 11:27:21 PM EDT
[#42]
I had always wanted a 4x4, but on one prospecting trip in Mexico the 4x2 truck I was driving got stuck 5 times in one day. The next time I went down, it was in a 4x4.

And yes, I've used the 4x4 quite a bit. Pulled a 4x2 truck out of a mud hole the first time we took it out. It got us through lots of things that would have stopped a 4x2, and even more things that would have required me to [i]punch it[/i] to make it through.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 11:48:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
So I could get stuck FARTHER FROM THE ROAD, and have more parts that can break and need fixin'.

I also subscribe to the "I prefer to drive over it rather than around it" principle.
View Quote

One of the prospecting trips I went on, on the way out a Mexican truck was stuck blocking the road (rear diff about 10 feet behind it) on a narrow road up a hill. Normally, a 4x2 can make the hill, if you punch it throught the bad part--but not with a truck blocking the road!

Well, there was an alternate route out. It was the long route, with several challenging parts. Near the end, we had to do a number of river crossings. Your standard 4x2 wouldn't have made the last crossing (in fact, one was in the middle of the river--I drove around it). I was real happy to have my 4x4.

On a previous trip, we took a 4x2 down a steep hill to get at some mines. On the way down, I realized we were not driving back up that hill! We lucked out, there was another route out that was 4x2 friendly.

It you go out there, 4x4 is good to have.

Link Posted: 1/11/2002 6:57:47 AM EDT
[#44]
1999 Dodge DAK. 5.2Liter. Automatic.
4 X 4.
Mild lift.
Big Ole Tires.

Larger than a toy. Smaller than a tank.
Very easy to maneuver. Plenty of aftermarket parts made for it. Has plenty of space for my gear and four-wheeler. Can easily tow a large trailer. I live in South Louisiana, so there are plenty of swamps and bogs to get stuck in. I do use the four-wheel drive portion of it quite a bit. Fun to get dirty. Sux to clean it up.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 9:37:05 AM EDT
[#45]
I'm totally with planewrench and others that say smart driving and 2wd will get you lots of places that 4wd won't.  I drove a '66 mustang for 10 yrs and never got stuck once.

I then got a '99 Land Cruiser which was great, but I actually didn't like the full time 4wd because we get lots of ice here and 2wd is best for me on that stuff.  One of our friends did 2 360s because all of the wheels on their LC lost traction.

I now have a '01 Tundra Xcab and LOVE it.  The ground clearance (as stated by others previously) is better than almost anything out there.  I also like the 2wd/4wd option.

BTW, what exactly was the bet?
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 1:44:24 PM EDT
[#46]
I have 2, a 93 GMC 1/2 ton and an 02 GMC 1/2 ton.  I have a small heavy equipment construction buisness and need the 4wd on the jobsites.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 2:05:38 PM EDT
[#47]
I like to shoot and explore out of the way places.  I got my first 4x4 about 13 years ago.  I will never be without one again.  With the snow and mud here in Utah winters it comes in handy frequently.  I will give up my 4x4 when they pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel!  Watch-Six
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top