Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 4:12:24 PM EDT
[#1]
My Mom grew up in a small town in the Florida panhandle that was very Mayberryish.

She and her siblings were very poor , being raised by their Grandparents, the town took care of them . All three graduated college. My great Grandfather lived in a house rented from the town banker for $40 a month until he died in the late sixties, next door to the banker’s big house. After he died, the house was bulldozed and the bankers yard got bigger.

My mother received free piano lessons, and her piano teacher paid her college tuition if she agreed to become a music teacher, which she did . Mrs. Blair’s Legacy, passing on the gift of music. My uncle returned after college to become the town high school’s State champion basketball coach, retiring as the Principal. My Aunt retired as a neighboring towns High School  librarian.

I never heard tell of crime, or bad things happening there. I’m sure it did, but it wasn’t much.

Very much like Mayberry when I visited as a child in the sixties, everyone knew each other and waved on the street.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 4:22:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Sit-coms were never about being funny, they were/are didactic. That's the draw, they present a situation and then tell you what to think about it. Of course there was always a social agenda.

Early television had a profound effect socially, you can say it's aspirational and that's certainly often true but giving whole generations of people the same aspirations and expectations had consequences, especially since we were going through profound social changes anyway.

The generation that grew up on black-and-white television tends to like the good guys to wear white hats, the bad guys to wear black hats, and the white hats to always prevail, and that's fine, but it isn't at all how the world actually works.

I think every generation gets nostalgic for the time before they'd learned enough about the world to recognize they were being protected from it's reality.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 4:32:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My Mom grew up in a small town in the Florida panhandle that was very Mayberryish.

She and her siblings were very poor , being raised by their Grandparents, the town took care of them . All three graduated college. My great Grandfather lived in a house rented from the town banker for $40 a month until he died in the late sixties, next door to the banker’s big house. After he died, the house was bulldozed and the bankers yard got bigger.

My mother received free piano lessons, and her piano teacher paid her college tuition if she agreed to become a music teacher, which she did . Mrs. Blair’s Legacy, passing on the gift of music. My uncle returned after college to become the town high school’s State champion basketball coach, retiring as the Principal. My Aunt retired as a neighboring towns High School  librarian.

I never heard tell of crime, or bad things happening there. I’m sure it did, but it wasn’t much.

Very much like Mayberry when I visited as a child in the sixties, everyone knew each other and waved on the street.
View Quote

My first boss was about 5'11", and probably weighed an easy 300 pounds. He got a scholarship to play football at the University of Alabama, and his little town chipped in to buy him a beater to get there and back. He played on the line with Bart Starr as QB.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 4:32:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 4:37:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sit-coms were never about being funny, they were/are didactic. That's the draw, they present a situation and then tell you what to think about it. Of course there was always a social agenda.

Early television had a profound effect socially, you can say it's aspirational and that's certainly often true but giving whole generations of people the same aspirations and expectations had consequences, especially since we were going through profound social changes anyway.

The generation that grew up on black-and-white television tends to like the good guys to wear white hats, the bad guys to wear black hats, and the white hats to always prevail, and that's fine, but it isn't at all how the world actually works.

I think every generation gets nostalgic for the time before they'd learned enough about the world to recognize they were being protected from it's reality.
View Quote

Culture changes with time, and that has real impact.

1940-1964 was a relatively nice time in America. Actually, recently ~2000--2013 was as well (this was brought to an end by BLM and their enablers). The pre-1900s were even better. Homicide rate is a good proxy for how well a society behaves.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 4:51:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Andy Griffith show reminds me of my dad's hometown in central Alabama, as I remember it as a child. My grandfather was the town Police Chief just before WW2, and then got into construction after the war. Everyone knew everyone, and got along well. Sure, gossip, busybodies, etc., but still a nice place. Probably because of that, I prefer small towns way over bigger ones and cities, mostly due to the people.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 5:04:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Ernest T Bass is one of my all time favorite TV characters...

Earnest T Bass serenades Charlene Darling Andy Griffith

Instructional Flagging Video (updated)

Triva: Howard Morris who portrayed the character directed several episodes of the Andy Griffith show. When they were casting for the role of Ernest T, Morris attempted to
show the actors how he wanted the character portrayed. None of them were to his satisfaction so he ended up playing the role himself. Ernest T only appeared 5 times
during the shows run

Link Posted: 2/1/2023 5:08:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Murder, rape, arson, kidnapping were all more prevalent back then.  Good times.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 6:40:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I grew up in small town NC in the 50's & 60's

It was like but not like Mayberry

We didn't have Barney

And to the poster who asked if there were any black people on the show?

As far as I can remember I saw just one.

A lady walking down the street, dressed just like the white ladies.  Wearing a dress, hat, carrying a purse on her wrist and I think wearing gloves

Link Posted: 2/1/2023 7:07:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I was born in Sanford NC a smaller town and slightly south or Mt Airy this is in the late 1950’s.
We lived there until I was 5 but we went back every summer to stay with my grandma who had a Hugh house overlooking Main St.
Very hot down that way.
From my recollection it was indeed the utopia as shown.
Racing was big, I remember somebody in Sanford was a known driver.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 7:16:47 PM EDT
[#11]
They had good music.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 7:34:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I just put locks on our doors last week. Wife says, "what are those for?" Kids were pissed they couldn't get in.

Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:10:01 PM EDT
[#13]
From the stories my dad tells of the 50's in little town NWGA the real thing was better than Mayberry.  My dad spent the first 10 years of his life living in the house he was born in and hanging out at his father's general store.  It was the gathering place for old men and where all the lies and life stories were told.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:23:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yes it was a lie.

It projected America as the producers wanted Americans to view itself.  There were other shows that depicted the ideal American middle class family where only the father worked, the mother stayed at home raising the kids in a very nice middle class home.  Leave it to Beaver, Dennis the Menace come to mind.

Someone already mentioned single parent families and there were a lot of shows in the '50s and especially the '60s showing how happy and functional they were.  This would include The Rifleman, The Beverly Hill Billies, Flipper, Bonanza, My Three Sons, etc.  Today its not single parent family inasmuch its grooming for kids to be ghey.  

Modern TV shows tend to have young folks who have a nice apartment filled with the most modern of sh*t.  No college loan or struggling to make credit card payments.  Actually I don't know what modern shows have since I haven't watched TV in decades.
View Quote

What happened was:
1) Americans fell sucker to chasing the dollar.  All of a sudden the "average" home wasn't good enough.  The "average" car wasn't good enough.  The "average" vacation wasn't good enough.  All these indulgences were not really feasable on a single income household so the lady of the house had to get a job.  Which led to:

2) The empowerment and eventual dominance of the female in our society.  

We are enjoying the consequences now.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:25:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Lol!  Yes it existed. It still does.  My town was the same until very recently when drugs started coming in.  Those people are maintained pretty good though, so we are still pretty much Mayberry.
We do have more californians comijg in tho.

With the drugs and big ideas.  Ugh.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:29:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Rural living is so terrible and Mayberry RFD failed to capture the absolute heinous suffering that happens endlessly.

View Quote

FYI - Mayberry RFD was a spin off/continuation of the original Andy Griffith show. It didn't last.

There were small towns like that around me up until the 80's and 90's.

The sheriff around here didn't carry a gun either in the early to mid 2000's.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:30:35 PM EDT
[#17]
There are still plenty of places like this today.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:31:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I don't know, but I do love the pork chop sandwich from The Snappy Lunch.
View Quote

Thirsty Souls kicks Snappy Lunch in the ‘nards.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:33:36 PM EDT
[#19]
My grandmother lived in a small Central Louisiana town, population less than 1800, and it was just like that.  No one locked doors at night, not even when leaving for a few days.  She kept her keys in the car ignition and no crime.  She paid a guy 50 cents to cut her yard and then fed him lunch when he was done.

Everyone looked out for everyone.  Spending summers there in the 60's and early 70's was fantastic.  If you had extra cucumbers and tomatoes from your garden, you brought them to the neighbors, same went for eggs and other supplies.  Her house had no air conditioning and the only thing to be concerned with coming thru the window at night were her cats

Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:34:57 PM EDT
[#20]
It was the first show starring an openly gay couple.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:48:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
When has any sitcom been realistic?
View Quote

Absolutely!

Three's Company was spot-on real!!!!!  
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:49:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

true story:
in a intro/anthropology freshman college class, the professor was talking about how everyone aspires to a higher class.
this black girl there was *adamant* that wasnt the case.  while I guess she was right after all,  I wondered what she was even doing in college.
View Quote

Are you intimating the entire trailer park has aspirations?

She was right. And just more in touch than others
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:52:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
America was a better place when it was still a majority white country. There, I said it.
View Quote

Let's talk through that, I think you are missing the real problem, but you aren't far off.

The white country pretty much killed off the Indians, imported the negros then let white women vote.

They used pussy to sway the weak among the white males to vote their way. Heart strings liberals.

They voted to open the border which further changed the dynamics.

It may have been better in tht good old days, but the white men who let women vote have nobody to blame but themselves.

The, I said that.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:53:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It was the first show starring an openly gay couple.
View Quote

Who's that?
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:56:05 PM EDT
[#25]
I know y'all didn't ask about Mayberry or Mount Airy as is the real name of the fictional town that claims the fame.

Then as is now it wasn't what the tv show portrayed.  It's a nice place to visit but don't think it's "Mayberry." The pork chop sandwich at Snappys is good. Anymore it's a tourist trap living off the TV show and "better times." Odell's has better burgers and dogs (cash only.)

Not sure who's running "Floyd's" now, but you would be better served if you want a haircut getting Bill at the Palace to do it.  Better be early.

Most of the so called local stuff isnt. It's generally made elsewhere as was the TV show.

The lady that played Thelma Lou moved to the area near my family and was robbed.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/entertainment/article9035891.html

If anyone is curious about visiting I can give some tips if you PM. It's just an old factory town with similar crime rates.
The tv show didn't show that part. Most folks will be decent to you
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 9:06:08 PM EDT
[#26]
I grew up in the 1960s and 1970s in a very small Iowa town, Mallard.  It was a lot like Mayberry.  
--Our town Marshall was Charlie Prochaska.  He rarely carried a firearm.
--Luella Kress ran the movie theatre.  It was $.10 for kids and $.25 for adults.
--Leroy Overstreet ran the weekly town paper.
--Swede Duis and his wife, Darlene, ran one of 3 town taverns.  Roy Orbison's "Pretty Lady" was always playing on the juke box, well into the 1970s.
--Ella Conway ran the drug store.  She was one of the first women, to be an Iowa pharmacist. She and her husband also owned the town lumber store.
--The Schultz Brothers ran the grocery store/meat market.  We kids, would watch them shoot and butcher hogs and cattle.
-- George Keeney was the town Doctor.  Yes, a Doctor in a town of 400 people.
--Pete Forry was the town blacksmith.  He was also a WWII army veteran, who fought at Remagen.
--The local banker was a wino.
I could go on............................

Link Posted: 2/1/2023 9:10:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 11:49:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The small towns in pre Disney Central Florida were all pretty much like Mayberry.
View Quote
Yep.  Oviedo, Geneva, Chulota, Sanford etc. were good examples.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 11:50:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
America was a better place when it was still a majority white country. There, I said it.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 11:53:07 AM EDT
[#30]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/hes_right_you_know-328.jpg

It was at least a better country when immigrants assimilated to the American way. Now we are expected to cater to their customs and values.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 11:56:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The secret to everyone’s happiness on The Andy Griffith Show is no one was married.  All of the main characters were single and they were all happy.

The only married character was Otis and he was the town drunk.
View Quote

Yep.... Total fiction.....
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:01:11 PM EDT
[#32]

Evidence for my post on page 1.  Haha, look how primitive and comical those rustics in flyover country are.  How provincial.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:05:24 PM EDT
[#33]
I remember seeing the opening credits thinking it was a fishing show.  So yes, it was a lie.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:07:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
there's a concept called F-I-C-T-I-O-N
sometime in the last 10-15 years the idea has set in that works of fiction are to be judged by whether or not they are factual or not. it's a fucking stupid idea

did you know that Gilligan's Island doesn't actually depict life on a deserted island in the Pacific?
View Quote

Does this mean I'll never locate the Klingon embassy? Damn the luck!
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:08:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I remember seeing the opening credits thinking it was a fishing show.  So yes, it was a lie.
View Quote

Well, they did fish a lot........
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:12:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Not too far from the reality of small, rural towns in Georgia in the late 50s and early 60s.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:15:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Not too far from the reality of small, rural towns in Georgia in the late 50s and early 60s.
View Quote

Yeah ,same with the midwest. Our local police chief used to be called the 'town marshall". He wore bib overalls with a badge on it. Sometimes he carried a revolver in them, sometimes he didn't. Everyone called him "pappy'. I don't know what his first name was, Pappy Rudd is what everone knew him as.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:19:29 PM EDT
[#38]
My mom is from a small town in NC that the show referred to as a bigger town that was special to go to.

Aunt Bee lived down the street from my aunt and we went to see her one time.  It was a dying town in the 70’s.   Typical story of mills closing…

I’m not sure my mom was all too fond of it and left to be a Navy nurse.

On the other hand, my dad was from a small Ohio town that he dearly loved.  Everyone in town knew each other.  In WWII he would run into people from that small town throughout his travels.  They looked out for each other like family.  He wrote stories about these encounters.

A few years ago, one friend from that town made a special trip to visit him.  At his funeral there was a beautiful flower arrangement from his 5 surviving high school class mates.  

He left that town at 17 and only returned for brief visits, yet he never left it in his heart.

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:20:35 PM EDT
[#39]
MGTOW Paradise?

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:22:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Who's that?
View Quote

Otis and Floyd the barber.

I'm not 100% certain about Otis, but there's no way you can convince me that Floyd wasn't queer as fuck.

Ohhh yeah, and Gomer too. Everyone in Mayberry knew about it and would gossip about his sexual preferences and perversions all the time.
That's why he joined the Marines before the whole town was going to string him up from a lamp post when it was discovered he was diddling Opie
behind the gas station.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:24:42 PM EDT
[#41]

Andy was a widower, Floyd had a son, so he was probably a widower, Claira was a widow, pretty sure Sam was a widower as he had children. Except in the case of Andy and Claira, it is not known for sure, but divorce was sort of taboo at the time, so I would guess that would be the implications.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:45:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Even living outside DC we walked to elementary school, rode bikes until the street lights came on, etc. Depicted a bygone era, but not inaccurate for small town America.

Leave it to Beaver, Flipper, Lassie  etc also depicted a simpler time.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 1:32:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Its fiction.  

Growing up, many of us were unaware of what was going on around us.  Alcoholism, spousal abuse, prescription drug abuse, adultery, racism, homosexuality, teen pregnancy, whatever.  

The show appeals to our child like and romantic view of the past.  Like American Graffiti/Happy Days.  Its this idealized view.  

Same, same with most westerns.  They show us Little House on the Prairie, not white woman savagely raped by drunk drifters, or incest on the farm.
View Quote

That's the next Friday night lineup on ABC

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 1:35:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Went to Jr High and Sr High in a small north central WI farm town.
In the late 50's and early 60's Mayberry values were pretty much our town's values.
View Quote

I spent a weekend in Polar WI a few years back and it was perhaps the safest small town I ever been to.
Everyone was friendly
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 1:37:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Andy was a card carrying commie... Fuck him
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 1:37:48 PM EDT
[#46]
It came in a box.  Packaged
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 1:38:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
When has any sitcom been realistic?
View Quote

This..

It was a TV show, not a documentary.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 1:42:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure it was a documentary just like Mork and Mindy, and Good Times.
View Quote

Good Times was fake.  The Jefferson’s was real though.  Moving on up!

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 1:45:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Thirsty Souls kicks Snappy Lunch in the ‘nards.
View Quote
Good to know. We saw Thirsty Souls Community when we were there, but didn't go. Will have to give it a try next time.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 1:49:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The secret to everyone’s happiness on The Andy Griffith Show is no one was married.  All of the main characters were single and they were all happy.

The only married character was Otis and he was the town drunk.
View Quote

Where do you think they got the idea for this music video? NSFW Language.

Peaches - Fuck the Pain Away
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top