User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 1:59:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Culture changes with time, and that has real impact.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1b/Homicide_rates1900-2001.jpg

1940-1964 was a relatively nice time in America. Actually, recently ~2000--2013 was as well (this was brought to an end by BLM and their enablers). The pre-1900s were even better. Homicide rate is a good proxy for how well a society behaves.
View Quote

The reality behind that graph has a few subtexts.
Urban vs rural, demographics, cultural norms/mores, etc.

The major push behind the numbers, is very un-Mayberry-ish.
People love to get drunk and get high.
The first spike correlates with initial drug acts and prohibition.

The second  spike correlates with new narcotics acts and the war on drugs.

In a society that lets unproductive hardcore drunks and druggies wash out due to the consequences of their decision making skills and life choice,
And a society that does not highly enhance the profitability of drugs/alcohol/distribution/territory-

Recreational productive users and drinkers with fairly benign access to drugs and alcohol do not cause these spikes to the homicide rate.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 2:11:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I grew up in the '50s in Cleveland, blue collar area. The black kids I played with had two parents, stay-at-home moms and fathers who went to work every day.

Andy Griffith no, but a lot better then when now when the majority of black kids are born out of wedlock.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 2:21:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It was the first show starring an openly gay couple.
View Quote

Howard Sprague??
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 7:44:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Otis and Floyd the barber.

I'm not 100% certain about Otis, but there's no way you can convince me that Floyd wasn't queer as fuck.

Ohhh yeah, and Gomer too. Everyone in Mayberry knew about it and would gossip about his sexual preferences and perversions all the time.
That's why he joined the Marines before the whole town was going to string him up from a lamp post when it was discovered he was diddling Opie
behind the gas station.
View Quote

Why would you insult Jim Neighbors like that? He never harmed anyone, never spoke ill of anyone & did a lot of charity work. What he did in his private life is none of MY business at all.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 9:11:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Floyd The Barber (Remastered)

"Floyd The Barber"

Bell on door clangs, come on in
Floyd observes my hairy chin
Sit down chair, don't be afraid
Steamed hot towel on my face

I was shaved
I was shaved
I was shaved

Barney ties me to the chair
I can't see, I'm really scared
Floyd breathes hard, I hear a zip
Pee-pee pressed against my lips

I was shamed
I was shamed
I was shamed

I sense others in the room
Opie, Aunt Bee, I presume
They take turns and cut me up
I die smothered in Aunt Bee's muff

I was shamed
I was shamed
I was shamed
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 9:16:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Ffs you guys know how to ruin everything.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 9:20:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Andy Griffith is a show that supposedly shows life in small town America in the 1950s and 1960s.

The helpful neighb ors, police that don't even carry or need a gun, and communities that work together and take care of each other.

Was this all a lie or was it really how it was in the 1950s and 1960s?

Do people just want to believe thatw as what life was like even though it wasn't anything like that?
View Quote

1) there is no such such thing as "town sheriff" or "city sheriff" something Hollyweird always gets wrong. It's county sheriff.

2) the is no such thing as a gunless sheriff. The handgun ban brainwashing started in the late 50s/early 60s on TV.

FAGShow for that as well as libtard-leftist Andy Griffith. The rest of the show with people being nice did reflect that era.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 9:22:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ffs you guys know how to ruin everything.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 9:27:53 PM EDT
[#9]
My small WI town was like that in the 70's and 80's.

Someone too drunk to drive?

Cop would take them home.

Someone needed help?  People would flock to the house to help.

Barn burned down?

Roll up your sleeves, we got a barn raising on Saturday!  (Those were great times)

Sadly, the cop being nice to drunks ended when he told a drunk to go straight home.  Instead he headed to a bar out of town, made a left turn into the parking lot and my friend Scott and his girlfriend hit the right front quarter panel at 60 mph on their motorcycle.

After Jacob Wetterling went missing, kids weren't allowed to be out any more because everyone believed they would be snatched.

Then the Gen Xers started having kids and rather than allow their kids the freedom they had, they locked that shit down.  Helicopter and Snowplow parents all started with the Gen X parents...

And here we are today, this sad, sad version of America.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 9:28:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Do you not believe that there were ever helpful, tight knit communities in the USA? I know places where people don't lock their doors to this day.

Not everywhere is full of angry shitheads and meth addicts.
View Quote

SE IN in the early 70s, next to smallest county in IN.
My Dad was a mailman, knew every person. At 16 I pumped gas, I soon knew about every person.
My Dad still leaves the keys in everything on his farm.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 9:33:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Its fiction.  

Growing up, many of us were unaware of what was going on around us.  Alcoholism, spousal abuse, prescription drug abuse, adultery, racism, homosexuality, teen pregnancy, whatever.  

The show appeals to our child like and romantic view of the past.  Like American Graffiti/Happy Days.  Its this idealized view.  

Same, same with most westerns.  They show us Little House on the Prairie, not white woman savagely raped by drunk drifters, or incest on the farm.
View Quote

Yeah, Little House on the Prairie never did anything like that!

Oh wait..

Sylvia
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 9:39:41 PM EDT
[#12]
welp.. cops werent suited up like operators, they drove four doors, not tricked out suvs, carried revolvers (mostly) and if you got fiesty with them they likely whacked you with a sap or blackjack. didnt have computers in their cars, just radios.

but they could be just as mean (or nice) as cops today and you could get a good thrashing if you fucked with them and  the report said you fell down the stairs.

thing i remember as a teenager is you could get away with a bit more. these days once the processing starts you are gonna get processed. when i was in highschool, cop caught you with a six pack, he made you pour it out (or kept it) and followed you home to make sure you stayed out of trouble.

i once had a south carolina state patrol  fine me five dollars for doing 85 in a 70. took pity on us coming back from myrtle beach after we graduated from highschool. we paid the fine right there and went on down  the road.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 10:14:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Good Times was fake.  The Jefferson’s was real though.  Moving on up!

View Quote

and George & Weezy got there through hard work, ambition and supporting each other. They made their marriage work and they BOTH raised their son together, imparting Lionel with a sense of self-respect and a moral compass.

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 10:22:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The secret to everyone’s happiness on The Andy Griffith Show is no one was married.  All of the main characters were single and they were all happy.

The only married character was Otis and he was the town drunk.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 10:26:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I remember seeing the opening credits thinking it was a fishing show.  So yes, it was a lie.
View Quote

Watch the full opening sequence

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 10:30:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
welp.. cops werent suited up like operators, they drove four doors, not tricked out suvs, carried revolvers (mostly) and if you got fiesty with them they likely whacked you with a sap or blackjack. didnt have computers in their cars, just radios.

but they could be just as mean (or nice) as cops today and you could get a good thrashing if you fucked with them and  the report said you fell down the stairs.

thing i remember as a teenager is you could get away with a bit more. these days once the processing starts you are gonna get processed. when i was in highschool, cop caught you with a six pack, he made you pour it out (or kept it) and followed you home to make sure you stayed out of trouble.

i once had a south carolina state patrol  fine me five dollars for doing 85 in a 70. took pity on us coming back from myrtle beach after we graduated from highschool. we paid the fine right there and went on down  the road.
View Quote

Dude. You didn't pay a fine, you paid a bribe.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 10:35:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What modern people call a "lie" is what people used to understand was an "ideal."

We used to aspire to be better. It was just a universal cultural norm. There was a general consensus about how to speak to a higher standard, dress to a higher standard, behave to a higher standard.

Now, "keeping it real" is the new dominant cultural consensus. It's a race to the bottom.

That show would have to have Andy as corrupt, Barney as a bigot, etc. so critics could commend it for its "gritty realism."
View Quote
This.  It was an escape for people in the early 60's worried about H-Bombs and missiles and race troubles and "Why Johnny Can't Read" and...........pick something.  For a half hour every week you got to visit and laugh with friendly characters in a small town that had been romanticized enough to make you want to move there.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 11:50:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The secret to everyone’s happiness on The Andy Griffith Show is no one was married.  All of the main characters were single and they were all happy.

The only married character was Otis and he was the town drunk.
View Quote

There were several married couples, the guy (that played the maytag man) and his wife, the couple that were almost evicted, the mayor and his wife.  Andy and Helen got married in a later show.  There may more I am not remembering.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 11:49:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

1) there is no such such thing as "town sheriff" or "city sheriff" something Hollyweird always gets wrong. It's county sheriff.

2) the is no such thing as a gunless sheriff. The handgun ban brainwashing started in the late 50s/early 60s on TV.

FAGShow for that as well as libtard-leftist Andy Griffith. The rest of the show with people being nice did reflect that era.
View Quote

Wrong.

1) New York City has a sheriff along with some other cities. A guy I know worked for the Baltimore city sheriff's office.

2) I'd seen the former sheriff of my county go gunless on numerous occasions.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 12:14:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

There were several married couples, the guy (that played the maytag man) and his wife, the couple that were almost evicted, the mayor and his wife.  Andy and Helen got married in a later show.  There may more I am not remembering.
View Quote

Really?

I didn't know that

Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:53:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

There was the married couple who bickered all the time. Andy got them to be civil to one another & they both turned their nastiness to everyone else. Can't remember their names.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 5:00:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Mayberry was a fictional town, but when they got dressed up and went out for a big time, they went to Mount Pilot, SC, which was a real town - the one I'm from.

The real-life personas of almost all the main characters was the opposite of their TV roles. Andy Griffith was an SOB with a temper who enjoyed demanding that people be fired on the spot. Aunt Bea was such a bitch that no one from the show even went to her funeral. Don Knotts had an inferiority complex to the point of mental illness.

Such is the way of the world.

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top