Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 1:20:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Then again, some of them are tough as nails and serve a great purpose for the price. This one has 20 years of flying fighters and airliners on the wrist and has been spectacular.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/470117/Omega_and_Red_Arrows_jpg-3243675.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/470117/Hacker_Red_Arrows_JPG-3243674.JPG
View Quote

Lol, omega “overrated”.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 1:21:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What if someone just likes the look of a particular model, but doesn’t want to drop five figures on it?  How about someone that has gens and reps?  They must be bi-polar.
View Quote

Plenty of high quality Homage Watches out there, with variing degrees of deviation from the original. Some are high quality interpretations of another design, some come from the same factory as the fakes just without the print.

But thats not what the Fake crowd is after.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 1:21:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 1:26:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've been wanting a basic sub date for years. I finally got ready to buy one two years ago and there were none. I've been on my AD's "list" since then, and no calls other than "still looking". I want to buy one new and from a dealer for MSRP. I was building a "relationship" with our other AD...and they lost their dealer status during the purge.

I bought a Tag quartz and then a Tag auto and it keeps the worst time of any watch I own, despite being on a winder. Multiple different pieces for my wife and daughter as well. All from the second AD trying to get a watch. Kind of frustrating.
View Quote

I’m in the same boat. I live in a small town, only 1 AD for a long ways around me. I’ve purchased what I consider a significant amount of jewelry from them but I guess my definition of “significant” is different than theirs.

I’m over a year and getting mildly annoyed.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 1:28:59 PM EDT
[#5]
If you can't tell the difference by looking at it, by feeling it or what it does, is it fake?

The same thing  with fake tits.  They fill a bra like real, looks better than real, are fake tits not real? Maybe to a jealous woman fake tits are not real.

To a thief who steals your $200 fake Rolex, he gets really mad when he finds out it's fake.

Nobody but a gold digger cares about your watch. My brother wore fake Rolex for years, he made millions.                        
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 1:30:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I’m in the same boat. I live in a small town, only 1 AD for a long ways around me. I’ve purchased what I consider a significant amount of jewelry from them but I guess my definition of “significant” is different than theirs.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been wanting a basic sub date for years. I finally got ready to buy one two years ago and there were none. I've been on my AD's "list" since then, and no calls other than "still looking". I want to buy one new and from a dealer for MSRP. I was building a "relationship" with our other AD...and they lost their dealer status during the purge.

I bought a Tag quartz and then a Tag auto and it keeps the worst time of any watch I own, despite being on a winder. Multiple different pieces for my wife and daughter as well. All from the second AD trying to get a watch. Kind of frustrating.

Rolex could increase production to better meet demand, perhaps not fully meet it. I get it, they want to maintain exclusivity, but their artificial and induced shortage in supply created the market. Their huge spend on advertising and promoting their brand feeds into the desire to have them, and the rep market fills that void. While not excusing the repping, it is an understandable response to the situation Rolex has created for themselves.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 1:31:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you can't tell the difference by looking at it, by feeling it or what it does, is it fake?

The same thing  with fake tits.  They fill a bra like real, looks better than real, are fake tits not real? Maybe to a jealous woman fake tits are not real.

To a thief who steals your $200 fake Rolex, he gets really mad when he finds out it's fake.

Nobody but a gold digger cares about your watch. My brother wore fake Rolex for years, he made millions.                        
View Quote

What does it fake? Achievement.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 1:31:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Tudor is what Rolex used to be. A nice tool watch for enthusiasts.
View Quote

I have a few of them

Great watches.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 1:32:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/17/2024 1:34:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Need one of these to go with the watch
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 1:38:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Buy yourself a real Panerai.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 1:39:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Don't do it in certain European nations, mere possession is against the law. They will likely be seized at customs and there may be fines.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know a few guys that travel with the fake ones and keep the real ones at home and non-travel. There are very good ones out there that the average person could not tell the difference.

Don't do it in certain European nations, mere possession is against the law. They will likely be seized at customs and there may be fines.

lol, so some eurofag can inspect some douchebag trying to enter france from the US and cease a legit rolex, claiming its "a fake"?
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 1:41:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

lol, so some eurofag can inspect some douchebag trying to enter france from the US and cease a legit rolex, claiming its "a fake"?
View Quote

Probably not, its hard to cease a rolex
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 1:43:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The only ones I got were from haggling in markets in Afghanistan 20 years ago. Most entertaining $20 (per watch) i've ever spent. . One of them still even, kinda, works!
View Quote

The Affy Rolex's were the best!
Did you get the fake green boxes too?
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 1:48:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Let's not pretend that the QUALITY of a high end fake is anywhere close to a genuine. They simply aren't. The aesthetics may be close but the construction is not on par in the case, bracelet, or movement.

Most replicas will not last out of the box for more than a year or so of daily wear UNLESS they were built with a decent movement like a SW200. The Asian clones of movements are crap by and large. Many people who buy quality reps send them out for a service to one of the modders who frequent the replica forums. The movement is torn down, milling imperfections on gears are cleaned up, proper lubrication is applied, new gaskets and silicone grease are applied to actually make it water resistant (never believe claims from the factory that they are), and other cosmetic issues are often addresses such as bezel insert alignment. They might even install a better quality crystal with superior AR coating. When all is said and done you might end up with a watch that is as reliable as a Seiko and looks close to a genuine premium brand that it is repping, but you will never have the quality of the real deal. However, even with a service you are still into it for a fraction of the cost of a gen and if you enjoy it, who cares.

I have a couple of personal caveats when it comes to replicas.

1.  If anybody asks, admit it is fake.
2.  Never try to sell it as real. Very scary article I read that 1 out of 5 Rolex/luxury watch owners in NYC are wearing a fake and don't even know it.

I have friends who have genuine watches and also own a rep. The genuine sits in their safe as an investment or heirloom for their children and the rep is worn daily. If it is stolen or damaged they don't care. A good friend had a vintage Rolex no date that he banged on a door knob, one in a million shot and it destroyed the crystal. Didn't hit it hard, I was there, but hit it just right and the service ended up being more than a $1,000. The watch was insured so he didn't sweat it too much, but it was gone for a couple months. He joked that he wished he had a good rep because it would have been half the cost of the service and if it had gotten damaged he would have tossed it. He recently acquired a James Cameron Deepsea and is considering getting a high end rep so that he can enjoy it daily and not fear having it stolen or getting damaged. It too is insured, but the trouble of acquiring another even if you have the insurance payout is daunting.

I've owned a couple of reps over the years. I purchased them to see if I liked them enough to get the genuine. By and large I acquired the genuine versions after assuring myself that I truly felt the watch was worth the investment.
View Quote

I think you missed the part where people have shown countless times that the good ones are of the same quality. Yes, sure, the serial numbers won't match up or whatever, but without calling up Switzerland, many fakes are almost impossible to tell apart in either fit, finish, or function without getting into advanced verification like paint compositions, etc. My point is that with tens of thousands of these high end fakes, it's not a question of "quality," simply authenticity.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 1:49:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

That was one I bought a rep of because of the unique case and crownguard and wanted to know if it wore well for me. It did, so I bought this!
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 1:52:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I think you missed the part where people have shown countless times that the good ones are of the same quality. Yes, sure, the serial numbers won't match up or whatever, but without calling up Switzerland, many fakes are almost impossible to tell apart in either fit, finish, or function without getting into advanced verification like paint compositions, etc. My point is that with tens of thousands of these high end fakes, it's not a question of "quality," simply authenticity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let's not pretend that the QUALITY of a high end fake is anywhere close to a genuine. They simply aren't. The aesthetics may be close but the construction is not on par in the case, bracelet, or movement.

Most replicas will not last out of the box for more than a year or so of daily wear UNLESS they were built with a decent movement like a SW200. The Asian clones of movements are crap by and large. Many people who buy quality reps send them out for a service to one of the modders who frequent the replica forums. The movement is torn down, milling imperfections on gears are cleaned up, proper lubrication is applied, new gaskets and silicone grease are applied to actually make it water resistant (never believe claims from the factory that they are), and other cosmetic issues are often addresses such as bezel insert alignment. They might even install a better quality crystal with superior AR coating. When all is said and done you might end up with a watch that is as reliable as a Seiko and looks close to a genuine premium brand that it is repping, but you will never have the quality of the real deal. However, even with a service you are still into it for a fraction of the cost of a gen and if you enjoy it, who cares.

I have a couple of personal caveats when it comes to replicas.

1.  If anybody asks, admit it is fake.
2.  Never try to sell it as real. Very scary article I read that 1 out of 5 Rolex/luxury watch owners in NYC are wearing a fake and don't even know it.

I have friends who have genuine watches and also own a rep. The genuine sits in their safe as an investment or heirloom for their children and the rep is worn daily. If it is stolen or damaged they don't care. A good friend had a vintage Rolex no date that he banged on a door knob, one in a million shot and it destroyed the crystal. Didn't hit it hard, I was there, but hit it just right and the service ended up being more than a $1,000. The watch was insured so he didn't sweat it too much, but it was gone for a couple months. He joked that he wished he had a good rep because it would have been half the cost of the service and if it had gotten damaged he would have tossed it. He recently acquired a James Cameron Deepsea and is considering getting a high end rep so that he can enjoy it daily and not fear having it stolen or getting damaged. It too is insured, but the trouble of acquiring another even if you have the insurance payout is daunting.

I've owned a couple of reps over the years. I purchased them to see if I liked them enough to get the genuine. By and large I acquired the genuine versions after assuring myself that I truly felt the watch was worth the investment.

You're talking to somebody who has owned the high end fakes and the real ones, I can tell you that the look is 95% there but the quality is nowhere near there with the reps.

Try taking a rep James Cameron Deepsea below 50 feet of water versus the 3,900m rating for the genuine.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 1:55:07 PM EDT
[#18]
I prefer the Bolex brand.

Link Posted: 6/17/2024 1:57:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The only ones I got were from haggling in markets in Afghanistan 20 years ago. Most entertaining $20 (per watch) i've ever spent. . One of them still even, kinda, works!

Nah I just sifted through a pile of shit on a table and started haggling.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 2:01:54 PM EDT
[#20]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tudor is what Rolex used to be. A nice tool watch for enthusiasts.

I have a few of them

Great watches.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/136311/B516CE43-A8C2-4754-8607-EB144E3D15BC_jpe-3243791.JPG

Yep. I would rather have a Tudor than a Rolex, personally.

I just bought a brand new Pelagos 39 from an AD at dealer cost. Couldn't pass up that deal. I love it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 2:03:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But it doesn’t do that. It hasn’t for years. Most people assume it’s a fake. If you like it, fake or not, good for you!
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 2:10:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You're talking to somebody who has owned the high end fakes and the real ones, I can tell you that the look is 95% there but the quality is nowhere near there with the reps.

Try taking a rep James Cameron Deepsea below 50 feet of water versus the 3,900m rating for the genuine.
View Quote

I'm referencing jewelers and people who've posted here saying that's not the case. There is nothing in 90% of any production Rolex that is anything outstanding in terms of engineering or difficult to come by materials (obviously not talking about gemstones, but even then, if they wanted to source them, they could, it would just cost too much). I think on some level people let "authentic" corrupt "quality."

Take a $100 bill. Now consider it just as a piece of paper/cloth. That quality can be replicated, albeit with a certain amount of effort. The only thing that is really, really difficult to replicate is the authenticity, because of the differences in small details which in no way affect the quality of these pieces of paper/cloth. The same is true when comparing great replicas to originals in many products.

Link Posted: 6/17/2024 2:10:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yep. I would rather have a Tudor than a Rolex, personally.

I just bought a brand new Pelagos 39 from an AD at dealer cost. Couldn't pass up that deal. I love it.
View Quote

Nice score!
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 2:14:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Real Rolex 16710 "Y" serial number from 2002.

Attachment Attached File

Homage Rolex 6542 Bakelite.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 2:17:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
this goes back to the lab vs. natural diamond thread

it's a fake, close but not the same thing.  i don't understand the allure behind fake shit
View Quote

In a truly free market, there's no such thing as "fake shit." There's just "stuff for sale."

Buyer beware.

That should be the "freedom is scary" response to this issue.

Amazing how guys who advocate for killing babies, public drug use and unlimited degeneracy "out of principal, even if they would never do it themselves" get the vapors at the thought of someone copying someone else's design and selling the same (or nearly the same) product at a cheaper price. "Theft" of "intellectual property" is apparently a moral bridge too far.

Link Posted: 6/17/2024 2:17:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I very much get lab grown diamonds, natural diamonds are artificially priced lumps of carbon with a questionable history.  Lab grown ones are better, and its still a diamond.

Fake branded items are an entirely different topic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
this goes back to the lab vs. natural diamond thread

it's a fake, close but not the same thing.  i don't understand the allure behind fake shit
I very much get lab grown diamonds, natural diamonds are artificially priced lumps of carbon with a questionable history.  Lab grown ones are better, and its still a diamond.

Fake branded items are an entirely different topic.
100% agree. Poor analogy.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 2:30:14 PM EDT
[#27]
I’d love to own a Rolex. I look at Chrono24 as if I was going to buy. Like a fluted DJ blue motif dial on a Jubilee. Sadly, it’s not in the cards. Maybe someday.

My daily is usually an Ecodrive or the Laco Altenburg 42 which are both sub $400 watches but get the job done I guess.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 2:31:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Under the Christmas lights.

Link Posted: 6/17/2024 2:38:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I'm referencing jewelers and people who've posted here saying that's not the case. There is nothing in 90% of any production Rolex that is anything outstanding in terms of engineering or difficult to come by materials (obviously not talking about gemstones, but even then, if they wanted to source them, they could, it would just cost too much). I think on some level people let "authentic" corrupt "quality."

Take a $100 bill. Now consider it just as a piece of paper/cloth. That quality can be replicated, albeit with a certain amount of effort. The only thing that is really, really difficult to replicate is the authenticity, because of the differences in small details which in no way affect the quality of these pieces of paper/cloth. The same is true when comparing great replicas to originals in many products.

View Quote

I’ve seen reps that have a Gen bracelet, Gen dial, Gen hands, Gen crystal, Gen bezel and a Gen movement.  Just the case is a rep.  Still low five figures.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 2:44:46 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm with the camp that assumes any Rolex I see in the wild is a fake. I like some of their vintage pieces, but Rollie hasn't really made much progression in the last 50 years. I suppose the SkyDweller is interesting, but not really horologically groundbreaking.

That's why I like the Gallet & Co. brand. Been collecting them for well over a decade now. Have you heard of them? No, probably not. I like them because my grandfather used one in his work on bomb sights for the WWII efforts. Here's one of my early grail watches.

A neat-o pilot watch from the early 1970's. It houses the Valjoux 72, the same caliber that Rolex used in this timeframe. Very similar watch, but way more affordable.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 2:45:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Show me a reputable jeweler that says the case, crystal, fitment, etc on a super rep Rolex submariner is anywhere near the quality of the gen. Just show me one.

I'm telling you I've handled the reps side by side with the genuine. Seen both taken apart by a Rolex certified watchmaker. Seen both subjected to pressure testing. While the look might be 95% there, the quality is nowhere near on the same level.

They claim the super rep Rolexes are made from 904L steel.... not a chance. High quality stainless? Sure, but it is NOT 904L which is proprietary. I have a replica titanium Tudor Pelagos FXD and a genuine Pelagos FXD - picture posted previously and I'll post it here again. Do you think they are using comparable titanium? While the look is quite similar you can examine them side by side and see the difference in machining, and slight imperfections in case milling can kill a dive watch. Now if all you are using it for is fashion (like me) yeah it rarely matters as the water resistance is good enough, but the sellers will tell you they are water resistant to 10 or 20 meters, NOT 200 or more meters like the genuine. If the quality was the same there would be no difference in depth rating as depth rating speaks to the quality of the materials and construction as well as attention to detail with fitting and sealing.

You pay $600 for a high end rep, what do you think the material cost is? How many hands do those watches go through to get to you, with everybody taking a cut including paying off the Chinese police and customs folks? Do you think the $50 in materials (maybe) for the case, bracelet, and Chinese clone movement is on par with the materials used by Rolex, Tudor, Omega, Breitling, Panerai, etc? You think the machining is on the same level? The quality control including pressure testing? The brushing and polishing of the case? The lume on the hands? The AR coating of the crystal? Shit, even the quality of the sapphire crystal itself?

Just stop, no reputable jeweler thinks that they are on par with the genuine, only that on cursory inspection they can LOOK like the genuine, and might take some further examination of the internals to say for sure.

Link Posted: 6/17/2024 2:46:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I’ve seen reps that have a Gen bracelet, Gen dial, Gen hands, Gen crystal, Gen bezel and a Gen movement.  Just the case is a rep.  Still low five figures.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's called a Franken
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 2:49:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Personally, I'd prefer a well made homage watch vs a fake one with Rolex or other expensive watch logo plastered on in.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 3:01:44 PM EDT
[#34]

Get an “estimate” of fake watches in the marketplace by opinions.  Then say their service is 100% guaranteed to be real.

Im sure there isnt any bias.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 3:21:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Get an “estimate” of fake watches in the marketplace by opinions.  Then say their service is 100% guaranteed to be real.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Choose to believe it or not. There are more fakes out there than genuine production and some are good enough to pass as real - especially in the secondary market where there isn't likely to be a genuine available for a side by side comparison, or a certified and trained watchmaker from one of the factories.

I was at the local AD when a gent brought in a fake Skydweller and we compared it to the gen. He thought it was real, purchased along with a genuine box and fake warranty card. He got taken for $15k.

I don't doubt at all that 20% of watches bought on the secondary market could be high end reps. They are so common that eBay now offers a service where the watch goes to them for authentication before it goes to the buyer. and funds are held in escrow. And why couldn't the author of the article guarantee that the watch is 100% real. 100% real or we take it back and issue a refund? That sounds like a stand-up policy. Maybe you glanced over this part of the article which explains why they can offer that guarantee and why you might be taken (even unknowingly by the dealer) when buying a secondary market watch elsewhere...

“At Watchfinder we have a zero tolerance policy on counterfeits. Every watch that gets sent to us, must go through a rigorous 60 step inspection and authentication process at one of our service centers, by an expert panel of authentication experts before any valuation, service or sale can be completed. Our labs and the teams that work in them, are accredited by 19 different luxury watch manufacturers.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 3:37:41 PM EDT
[#36]

WMT does a good job recreating some of the historical and film watches that are unavailable. They even have the Bond buzzsaw Rolex from one of the movies.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 3:40:15 PM EDT
[#37]
I picked up one from a street vendor in Shanghai. I really don't like to wear watches, but for $3+ American I had to do it. It eats batteries, but I've gotten a lot of compliments. I always tell them the back story unless someone is trying to act like a snob.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 3:45:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Some years ago, I posted about how I bought some counterfeit vacuum cleaner bags for my Kirby vacuum. The Chinese will rip off anything.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 3:57:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
If only ARFCOM had a dedicated watch technical subforum.
View Quote

This Thread is about Human Nature.  Psychology.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 3:59:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Some years ago, I posted about how I bought some counterfeit vacuum cleaner bags for my Kirby vacuum. The Chinese will rip off anything.
View Quote

There is a problem now with reppers repping the best rep brand.

Clean Factory is regarded as one of the best factories making high quality copies of Rolex sport watches. Now other lesser tier manufacturers of reps are marking their wares as Clean Factory to cash in on it. They have no honor whatsoever.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 4:00:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

This, gentleman, is why you buy genuine Rolex.
That picture is awesome, but I didn't include it in my reply in case you your mind about posting that pic..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I lost so many of my pictures in Katrina, that I think this is the only photo of me wearing my Rolex Submariner.

I guess although I'm dressed kind of crappy, the 300 Kilos of cocaine I'm in the picture with, make it look real!

This, gentleman, is why you buy genuine Rolex.
That picture is awesome, but I didn't include it in my reply in case you your mind about posting that pic..

.  What about that picture says “this is why you buy genuine Rolex”?        
And, Why did you assume OP bought it?
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 4:07:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Clean Factory is regarded as one of the best factories making high quality copies of Rolex sport watches. Now other lesser tier manufacturers of reps are marking their wares as Clean Factory to cash in on it. They have no honor whatsoever.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A quick google shows a lot of discussion online about what is the "real" Clean Factory website. Hilarious.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 4:08:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I've discussed several times in the watch forum how good the fakes are. My firm's attorney is also the general counsel for a large Rolex AD and they get some fakes in from unknowing owners and we have done side by sides. Frightening!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/218/DB5A818B-EE65-427E-A714-D9D94A66B261-2825318.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/218/132CDFB7-7262-4723-888C-207F0C951103-3176862.jpg
View Quote

Fakes on left?
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 4:13:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
That's why I like my two fakes. Fun stories from Afghanistan, not to pass them off as real. One of them did fall apart pretty quickly within like 6 months of daily use. One of them lasted for years and I legit wore it to a lot of events because it was a very nice looking watch and went with most of my nice outfits I had at the time. Plus it was a fun icebreaker or conversation piece.

They're on my memento shelf with some other cool items/gifts I got over the years of traveling/working for OIF/OEF.
View Quote

For my fake Rolex it was the story. I lived in Shanghai that year and buying fakes was part of the experience of every expat along with avoiding ever using those ground toilets and cruising the hooker bars. My brother got me one since he had already done the leg work on the local vendors that had the best reproductions at the time. Part of the fun, that you see in the Reddit threads and YouTube videos, is tracking down the most precise replicas. Similar to the allure of the original Rolex an appreciation of mechanics and craftsmanship. I wore it daily for 4 or 5 years.  Kept great time and held up well. The other thing I like about it is it does have the timeless style of a Rolex submariner. It is a great accent to every outfit I wear when I dress up. Always reminds me of the fun I had living abroad. The motion stopped working a few years ago and sat in a drawer because no legitimate jeweler will touch it. I got it out this last hunting season and it started working again. Probably get a replacement movement for it at some point. I recently got a citizen eco drive I like the aesthetics of but does not keep good time. Probably get a smart watch at some point too.

I honestly see people that only get real ones only as a status symbol, not for the style or mechanical engineering qualities, just I can spend this money, as lame as the people who buy fakes to imply they have the same status. Pure status seekers are gross.

Link Posted: 6/17/2024 4:16:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Fakes on left?
View Quote

Yes, the fakes are on the left.

Blown up and side by side there are some obvious tells. On the wrist, or even off the wrist without a genuine to compare to the fakes are difficult to tell apart - especially the Skydweller. Remove the case backs and it is obvious. I believe the fake Tudor has an 8N-24 movement. The Skydweller fake does not have the complication controls that the gen has, but you can move the month indicator and set the internal GMT wheel. When the guy got taken by that fake Skydweller he was incredulous and didn't want to believe the AD until the watchmaker walked him through how you set the month with the genuine versus the fake and some other mechanical differences. The aesthetics were damn near spot on according to the watchmaker who is Rolex certified.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 4:16:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting comment.   Why does wearing a Rolex represent “Achievement” to you?    
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 4:19:44 PM EDT
[#47]
I've never been fond of a Rolex watch. I don't get the attraction. But then I don't get the attraction of diamonds either.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 4:22:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly... is achievement when you can walk in and pay cash without feeling any pain for it, or is it when you whip out the credit card and make a zero interest purchase for a year and pay it off at $1k a month? Is it when you can't get one from an AD and can afford to pay double in cash for it to say you have it?

I've wanted a Speedmaster Moonwatch since I was around 20. I could afford to buy one at several points in my life but didn't because I didn't perceive the value in what they were asking. I found one this year and decided to celebrate being 5-years cancer free. It was a deal too good to pass up on Chrono24 - box, papers, service history... I snatched it up. The watch was to celebrate an achievement (which is why I buy watches - to mark significant events in life), the watch itself was not an achievement.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 4:25:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'd bet that 99.9 precent of genuine James Cameron Deepsea never went below 50 feet of water.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 4:25:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I've wanted a Speedmaster Moonwatch since I was around 20.
View Quote

Same here. It's the only expensive watch I own. My house was broken in to a few years back- they got a 1911 (which was actually recovered), a couple Citizen watches, and the bracelet and box from my Moonwatch...thank god I was wearing it at the time lol.
I have contemplated selling it a few times, but not worth it without the bracelet and box I'm sure. Oh well, good excuse to keep it.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top