BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 4:27:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No one really looks at your watch

I wear a Rolex and no one really sees it.
Like people that wonder if you are printing carrying a firearm.

They think it is a phone or a wallet. No one thinks gun
View Quote

I wore one of my Tag Heuer watches for years while doing construction trucking in the early 2000s. A friend noticed it one day (The friend that also had a few and how I even learned what a Tag Heuer was) and freaked out that I was going to ruin it. I was like dude I've been wearing this every day for years at work and you just noticed. I think it will be ok lol

It's no Rolex but it was quite the watch for a 20 something driving a Mack tri axle dump truck at that time. Everyone just assumes you're wearing a seiko or whatever
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 4:30:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll stick to my Timex

FWIW, i have to Seikos that need to be repaired.  One has already been repaired once
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 4:30:57 PM EDT
[#3]
With so many great affordable watches out there a Chinese Rolex is really a waste of money.

Grand Seiko, Marathon, Omega, and so many great vintage watches out there.

Here is my well worn Spring Drive, I'd rather buy another of these than a fake anything....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 4:36:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yes, the fakes are on the left.

Blown up and side by side there are some obvious tells. On the wrist, or even off the wrist without a genuine to compare to the fakes are difficult to tell apart - especially the Skydweller. Remove the case backs and it is obvious. I believe the fake Tudor has an 8N-24 movement. The Skydweller fake does not have the complication controls that the gen has, but you can move the month indicator and set the internal GMT wheel. When the guy got taken by that fake Skydweller he was incredulous and didn't want to believe the AD until the watchmaker walked him through how you set the month with the genuine versus the fake and some other mechanical differences. The aesthetics were damn near spot on according to the watchmaker who is Rolex certified.
View Quote

The Skydweller fake's case and strap look cheap/cheaply finished next to the real one, thats what I see anyway.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 4:38:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Before I bought my first Rolex I bought a fake one.  I hated the feeling and was embarrassed to wear it.

For me, a Rolex represents success for ME.  Because let’s be real, nobody will notice it and half the time you kind of don’t want people to notice it because it brings unwanted attention.  But I can look at it and know that I got to a place in life that buying an expensive watch was possible.  

The fake one was just that, fake.  It stood for nothing and if someone ever did notice it I couldn’t lie and say it was real and saying it was fake is just as bad.

You buy an expensive watch for yourself. Not for impressing anyone else.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 4:39:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My dad bought a $20 FOLEX and loved showing it to people.  He never claimed it was a ROLEX.  It kept time perfectly time, till it didn't.
View Quote

I was given one many years ago. Runs good for an auto if I remember correctly it's 10 seconds fast a day,
almost two day reserve. I wish it said Bolex or Rollidex or something. Then I might wear it
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 4:40:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Exactly... is achievement when you can walk in and pay cash without feeling any pain for it, or is it when you whip out the credit card and make a zero interest purchase for a year and pay it off at $1k a month? Is it when you can't get one from an AD and can afford to pay double in cash for it to say you have it?

I've wanted a Speedmaster Moonwatch since I was around 20. I could afford to buy one at several points in my life but didn't because I didn't perceive the value in what they were asking. I found one this year and decided to celebrate being 5-years cancer free. It was a deal too good to pass up on Chrono24 - box, papers, service history... I snatched it up. The watch was to celebrate an achievement (which is why I buy watches - to mark significant events in life), the watch itself was not an achievement.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you can't tell the difference by looking at it, by feeling it or what it does, is it fake?

The same thing  with fake tits.  They fill a bra like real, looks better than real, are fake tits not real? Maybe to a jealous woman fake tits are not real.

To a thief who steals your $200 fake Rolex, he gets really mad when he finds out it's fake.

Nobody but a gold digger cares about your watch. My brother wore fake Rolex for years, he made millions.                        

What does it fake? Achievement.

Interesting comment.   Why does wearing a Rolex represent “Achievement” to you?    

Exactly... is achievement when you can walk in and pay cash without feeling any pain for it, or is it when you whip out the credit card and make a zero interest purchase for a year and pay it off at $1k a month? Is it when you can't get one from an AD and can afford to pay double in cash for it to say you have it?

I've wanted a Speedmaster Moonwatch since I was around 20. I could afford to buy one at several points in my life but didn't because I didn't perceive the value in what they were asking. I found one this year and decided to celebrate being 5-years cancer free. It was a deal too good to pass up on Chrono24 - box, papers, service history... I snatched it up. The watch was to celebrate an achievement (which is why I buy watches - to mark significant events in life), the watch itself was not an achievement.

Congrats.  That’s the best reason I can think of.  
Rolex is destroying their own brand through exclusivity.  I go through all the biggest international airports, and have yet to see a Rolex store. Every other brand, but not Rolex.
On the Cruise Ship?   Nope.  Everything but Rolex.
Even in the high end shopping districts, you just don’t see Rolex for sale.    I’ve been looking for years now, after reading the threads here.  20 countries give or take.

Incidentally, no Customs guy is going to confiscate a fake Rolex, unless your backpack is full them.  It just doesn’t work that way.  
Hell, Europe doesn’t even really have customs anymore.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 4:41:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'd bet that 99.9 precent of genuine James Cameron Deepsea never went below 50 feet of water.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're talking to somebody who has owned the high end fakes and the real ones, I can tell you that the look is 95% there but the quality is nowhere near there with the reps.

Try taking a rep James Cameron Deepsea below 50 feet of water versus the 3,900m rating for the genuine.

I'd bet that 99.9 precent of genuine James Cameron Deepsea never went below 50 feet of water.

I'd bet that 99.9% of the Gucci guns posted here aren't used for work beyond the bench/static range either. Just sayin...
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 4:41:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Pretty sad when your $30k watch can be cloned so we'll that a $30 watch can fool all but the most discerning experts that it is a watch worth a thousand times as much.

Goes to show its not the quality of the watch, materials, etc but simply the name and engineered scarcity. The watches even tell the same time for crying out loud.

I'll never understand watch people.
View Quote

That's readily apparent
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 4:41:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 4:42:05 PM EDT
[#11]
i hate watches & have a 20yr old tag i’ve barely worn.

i prefer machine guns & duals.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 4:43:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Fake Watches are for Fake people

There are great Watches on litterally any price level, wearing a fake one is just poor class
View All Quotes
Quoted:

There are great Watches on litterally any price level, wearing a fake one is just poor class

I am he who dares to wear a fake. I have entered your thread.

Quoted:
this goes back to the lab vs. natural diamond thread

it's a fake, close but not the same thing.  i don't understand the allure behind fake shit

Nobody bags on women that wear costume jewelry. They are still pretty.

Quoted:

No one really looks at your watch

I wear a Rolex and no one really sees it.
Like people that wonder if you are printing carrying a firearm.

They think it is a phone or a wallet. No one thinks gun

Wrong. Everybody looks at your watch, your shoes, how your clothes drape, how you present and carry oneself. No one notices 'printing'.

Also, I haven't done the rich people scene in some time, but just watching shows, I don't think an awful lot of the elite are wearing timepieces any more. Some I see wearing the fitness computers. Pretty much everyone either has someone that tells them the time or they don't worry about time.

Quoted:
I don't like counterfeits and steer away from homages as well. I could see myself wearing something ironic, however.

https://relaxwatchshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/03/HR-Relax-Ex-Troller-White-1300x1300.jpg

That is absolutely AWESOME!

The rest of you are bitching like you've sucked a dick of someone you later realized had no money after all. Sorry you are picking the wrong indicators. Around where I live, guys carry thousands in bib overhauls and drive shit cars (but for some reason, wear well-worn dress shoes with the overalls).

I wear fake watches when I used to dress slutty. I liked the look. I've always wanted a couple of Breitling pieces; they are amazing examples of mechanical genius to me.

I guess perhaps if you live in the middle east, where everyone has money, it might be a weird flex to wear cheap anything.

Me? I love it both ways. I love it when petty, insecure, ignorant trust fund babies see a poor fuck like me wearing what they think are expensive baubles. I like it better when they think, aha, it's all fake! Like it fucking matters a single bit?

I tell people straight up when I am wearing fake shit. I don't care. I like the style. Honestly, my only concern is getting knocked in the head by some stickup artist over a $200 fake.

Funniest part is horology buffs. You'd think they would be the most offended. Instead, they appreciate someone with love for the game, just not the financial capacity, then we wind up talking watches for a half hour.

I would own a fake ferrari. I would own other fake stuff. I don't base my worth on it, and I am not trying to telegraph to the world I am something I am not. IN fact, I would go out and say a not insignificant number of people are up to their eyebrows in debt trying to buy real shit so they can fake a level of outward success.

But not trusting someone, or making value judgments on what someone wears? Unless they are looking me in the eye trying to tell me their uunto is legit... lol

I run in circles where people can afford a lot of nice things. Ostentatious even. Some indulge, some don't. I evaluate people on other criteria though.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 4:44:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
WMT does a good job recreating some of the historical and film watches that are unavailable. They even have the Bond buzzsaw Rolex from one of the movies.
View Quote

I have four of them now. They are all very well done.

It's a niche for those of us who really enjoy vintage watches and want something practical that does not break the bank.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 4:46:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

In my experience mostly divers buy sea dwellers because its a chunk of a watch with greater depth rating and an escape valve, compared to the thinner, more popular Submariner.

But most divers dont use watches anymore anyway, so you could probably say that about any watch be it a Casio or a Rolex.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 4:47:49 PM EDT
[#15]
When a watch guy notices your $60 gold colored Invicta and asks about your Rolex................yeah.  

If I get mugged for it and the mugger survives, they will barely have enough to fill a crack pipe.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 4:50:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're talking to somebody who has owned the high end fakes and the real ones, I can tell you that the look is 95% there but the quality is nowhere near there with the reps.

Try taking a rep James Cameron Deepsea below 50 feet of water versus the 3,900m rating for the genuine.

That's not the point and you know it. The fact is they COULD and the rep CAN'T... so to argue they are the same quality is bullshit.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 4:52:46 PM EDT
[#17]
If we could buy Machine guns which were Clones, but fully legal and indistinguishable from the originals, we Would, and the “morality” of it wouldn’t be an issue.

Same with Cars, Boats, Motorcycles, Women, or any other desirable thing.  

Hell, I wish the Chinese would start counterfeiting Cessnas, CJ-2’s and PC-12’s.    I can’t afford 5 million for the original, but at 1/20th the price, I’d fo in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 4:57:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If we could buy Machine guns which were Clones, but fully legal and indistinguishable from the originals, we Would, and the “morality” of it wouldn’t be an issue.

Hell, I wish the Chinese would start counterfeiting Cessnas, CJ-2’s and PC-12’s.    I can’t afford 5 million for the original, but at 1/20th the price, I’d fo in a heartbeat.
View Quote

...and die a horrible death when the wings fall off in flight
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 4:57:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The Skydweller fake's case and strap look cheap/cheaply finished next to the real one, thats what I see anyway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, the fakes are on the left.

Blown up and side by side there are some obvious tells. On the wrist, or even off the wrist without a genuine to compare to the fakes are difficult to tell apart - especially the Skydweller. Remove the case backs and it is obvious. I believe the fake Tudor has an 8N-24 movement. The Skydweller fake does not have the complication controls that the gen has, but you can move the month indicator and set the internal GMT wheel. When the guy got taken by that fake Skydweller he was incredulous and didn't want to believe the AD until the watchmaker walked him through how you set the month with the genuine versus the fake and some other mechanical differences. The aesthetics were damn near spot on according to the watchmaker who is Rolex certified.

You're also likely looking at it on a monitor with probably 10x plus magnification. I agree with you, the fit and finish is nowhere near as good and I have pointed that in other posts... but that is again magnified and with a genuine next to it as a point of comparison. Most people have probably never encountered somebody who owns a gen Skydweller, so they have no point of reference. Heck until recently when they started stocking ADs with a full line of display watches most ADs wouldn't even have one on hand. Within that context the reps are dangerous to unwitting buyers. My friend who owns the gen on the right brought it to the AD so they could do a side by side and show it to the buyer. My friend was disgusted by how close the rep was. Heck they weighed them and they were within 2 grams of one another.

That's when I stopped buying watches on watch forums and switched to Chrono24 with their escrow service and 14 day examination period. I'm fortunate that I can go to this AD and they will authenticate.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 5:01:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

We have a subforum devoted to people making clone builds and even engraving 80 percent lowers with replica markings...
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 5:16:59 PM EDT
[#21]
If you want a good homage to a sub https://ginault.com/ is what you seek.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 5:20:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Speaking of douchebags, judging people by their watch?
View Quote

Only the ones who knowingly buy counterfeit and forged products thus stealing from a legitimate company, and then brag about it. Yeah, sounds like people I want to avoid in life.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 5:21:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Correct.

I’d rather wear my $100 Casio than an $800 Rolex rep.

I’d be less embarrassed too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct.

I’d rather wear my $100 Casio than an $800 Rolex rep.

I’d be less embarrassed too.

What if you are actually successful enough to purchase a real Rolex, but you choose to save that money instead.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 5:32:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

So what? What is your integrity worth? I would easily trust a man honestly wearing an Eco-drive before I trust someone in a fake Rolex. Sounds like something a douchebag used car salesman would do.
View Quote

Good lord.  You seem to be taking this personally..lol
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 5:38:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Good lord.  You seem to be taking this personally..lol
View Quote

I may have had to deal with fake products and the assholes the sell them as legit products.

Sucks telling a customer they bought a forgery and we can’t fix it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 5:38:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

So what? What is your integrity worth? I would easily trust a man honestly wearing an Eco-drive before I trust someone in a fake Rolex. Sounds like something a douchebag used car salesman would do.
View Quote

It’s just a fucking watch
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 5:41:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
stealing from a legitimate company, and then brag about it.
View Quote

Out of curiosity, which of the design elements in your signature image were paid for?
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 5:43:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Out of curiosity, which of the design elements in your signature image were paid for?
https://www.ar15.com/media/images/xAvatar/51268.GIF
View Quote

What? That is an avatar made by another member? What are you implying?
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 5:45:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

I see I am going to lose this one. Enjoy your forgery and all of the respect that comes with it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 5:48:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/images/xAvatar/51268.GIF

I'm not implying anything, I'm asking if you paid the companies who designed the image elements combined into your avatar for their work.

You made disparaging remarks about:
Quoted:
stealing from a legitimate company, and then brag about it.

and I simply wondered if your avatar is built with "stolen" design elements or if you found a way to pay for them.  Looks like imagery from "The Matrix", plus the site's logo, I'm not qualified to comment on the typeface but many of those aren't free to distribute either.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 5:50:44 PM EDT
[#31]
I bought a $20 knockoff Omega Seamaster in Shanghai around 2002.

Kept time as accurately as my Sea-Dweller, until 2023 or so. 20 years.

The Rolex lasted 15 years before it started to get erratic.

I want a Pepsi GMT, but I can’t bring myself to pay market price for one, and I won’t buy a knockoff or homage. Just waiting to win the lotto.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 5:52:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Just stop, no reputable jeweler thinks that they are on par with the genuine, only that on cursory inspection they can LOOK like the genuine, and might take some further examination of the internals to say for sure.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/218/132CDFB7-7262-4723-888C-207F0C951103-3176862.jpg
View Quote

First, I never said they were 100% equal, I said others have said they're really close.
Second, I'm talking about your normal production Rolexes, not some special limited ones that really receive special treatment. That said,

Considering a Rolex costs ~5% of it's final retail price to create, I think you're conflating "quality" with "authentic." Once we get to the point where "proprietary steel" enters the chat, you know there is some  snake oil lurking around, especially for a stupid watch where I could find scrap from around my house, melt it down, and have watch parts that were exactly the same in terms of functionality and durability along with whatever else matters for a watch. (I say this being an owner of many Busse knives, probably the biggest "proprietary steel" marketers there ever was, and it's mostly stupid).

Manufacturing has come a long, long way. In fact, the laurels that Rolex built their name on (being one of the most reliable and technologically advanced watches, which in turn brought famous users) are long gone. They're nice. It's a nice brand. But make no mistake, you are paying almost exclusively for the Rolex name, NOT the quality. In fact, to prove this is true, Rolex has been using "anti-forging" measures like laser engraving, etc. for a while....which is where my $100 bill example came from. If you have to include anti-copying measures beyond the "quality" so that people can tell there is a difference, then the conclusion is pretty darn obvious no matter how much you don't want to admit it.

For the majority of Rolexes, there is absolutely no special magic or craftsmanship. A Chinese hand and machinery can do everything a Swiss one can at this point. That's just the world in 2024.

Btw, you seem to assume that I don't have any, or any other nice watches, which is incorrect, but anyhow, I don't care enough about it all to continue on. Enjoy all of your replicas and real ones and have a nice day.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 5:56:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I'm not implying anything, I'm asking if you paid the companies who designed the image elements combined into your avatar for their work.

and I simply wondered if your avatar is built with "stolen" design elements or if you found a way to pay for them.  Looks like imagery from "The Matrix", plus the site's logo, I'm not qualified to comment on the typeface but many of those aren't free to distribute either.
View Quote

Cute, for your argument to hold water I would need to represent myself as the “Matrix” somehow. Then deny revenue to the film company. An avatar is nothing like selling a fake product for profit. The bolt face logo is handed out by the site for members to use, again, I am not using it to represent myself as Arfcom and charging customers.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 5:58:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I see I am going to lose this one. Enjoy your forgery and all of the respect that comes with it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I truly thought the “Real Steel” contingent would fight a lot harder.  
Your premature capitulation is sad and disappointing.    

It’s an interesting comment though.   You assume that wearing a real-deal Rolex will somehow garner Respect.    
While also ignoring the fact that most people will either

a. Not notice it.     Or,
b. Assume it’s Fake.  

If a fake is indistinguishable, then the same “Respect” will be accorded to the wearer of a clone.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 6:00:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's just a fucking watch

I think the main disconnect is some people think that owning the "real" thing demands some kind of respect, and others don't.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 6:02:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
VSF and Clean make the best 6 digit subs right now. They’re so close that I would never go though the hassle of dealing with the games the Rolex AD like to play, or pay the super high resell prices. They’re just not worth it when watches like Omega make such a nice piece for like 1/4 of the price.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/115870/IMG_5419_jpeg-3243580.JPG
View Quote

jUst aS guD.
But it really is.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 6:03:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I think the main disconnect is some people think that owning the "real" thing demands some kind of respect, and others don't.
View Quote

I agree with this statement. What you own is not a reflection of who you are in any way and respect is irrelevant. It is the honesty that bothers me. If you buy a fake Rolex to make others think you have a Rolex, you are dishonest.

Proudly wear what you can afford and/or are willing to pay for. Tons of great watches in the $100-$500 category.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 6:05:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Once we get to the point where "proprietary steel" enters the chat, you know there is some  snake oil lurking around, especially for a stupid watch where I could find scrap from around my house, melt it down, and have watch parts that were exactly the same in terms of functionality and durability along with whatever else matters.
View Quote

904L isn't even proprietary.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 6:14:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Cute, for your argument to hold water I would need to represent myself as the “Matrix” somehow. Then deny revenue to the film company. An avatar is nothing like selling a fake product for profit. The bolt face logo is handed out by the site for members to use, again, I am not using it to represent myself as Arfcom and charging customers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The problem is that, like most people, you don't see "intellectual property" as a real thing, and like most people I presume you weren't ever planning on paying for graphics you found on the internet, so you also have NOT really denied revenue to the creator...  But let's not be dishonest here, both the replicas in question and your avatar are created from someone's intellectual property without compensation to the creator.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 6:16:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

In my experience mostly divers buy sea dwellers because its a chunk of a watch with greater depth rating and an escape valve, compared to the thinner, more popular Submariner.

But most divers dont use watches anymore anyway, so you could probably say that about any watch be it a Casio or a Rolex.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah, they have to outdo the Sub crowd. Not always, but typically.

I almost bought one of those things, it was early-20teens and they were like $8500-9000 at the Rolex store at the Wynn, price was getting ready to increase. So I marinade over this hunk of steel for a couple of days and decide I'm gonna buy it. I call up my bank to get approval for that amount and at that store, I'm going to use my debit card lol. Whoever approves this shit is out to lunch. Wait, waiting, fuck it. They call when I am boarding the plane. . Somewhere over Texas I became real thankful the person took a really long lunch. I changed banks a few day later though. I have a Sub, it is plenty big.

Since someone mentioned water resistance... Google information about that. It is something to keep in mind when buying. 50' does not mean you can or should go swimming with the thing. Think of the resistance (pressure) against your hand just moving it around in the bathtub. It's good to brush up on if you are looking to buy a watch and plan on getting it wet, even if it's just a shower or hot tub.

Quoted:

The Rolex lasted 15 years before it started to get erratic.

Yeah, you do have to get them serviced. A lot of people balk at the cost of the service*, then they shit on a brand when the thing doesn't keep time, or stops. My Omega did that because I put of service, both times lol.
*Some people don't want to be without the watch either, some of the servicing can take months. I think Rolex has AD's doing it now instead of shipping them the NY/NJ/Switzerland/wherever, I know mine does the servicing and repairs... Not sure how I feel about that.

That's one thing a Stellita (sp) and ETA have going for them, litteraly any half decent watch person can fix them and the parts are simple to get, shit you can buy a whole movement for cheap, though it may not be to that brands "specs."

Grand Seiko Spring Drives go back to Japan, I do know that. GS is another "Wow, that's expensive" brand, that literally few will recognize beyond the Seiko part.

I still think I'm going to get a Gigawatt that is made to look like a vintage Rolex, but says and is a Seiko. I really want one of those "Tactical Frog" FXD knock offs, but I need to find out what the local watch guy will charge, if he even can, to remove the "Tactical Frog" off the face of the watch.

I like to tell women their LV bags are fake... Not the rich women, the broads married to some low level guy who they convinced to buy them a LV and they walk around all snotty because they are in debt, typically driving a purchased used Lexus (300 whatever) with this LV bag. The best ones are the WT who end up with a handbag, but are used to shoulder bags, so they wear this uncomfortable motherfucker on their shoulder. I'm kind of an asshole like that.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 6:17:14 PM EDT
[#41]
I used to want a Rolex till I gave some thought as to what I could buy with Rolex money. Needless to say I’m fine with the <$100 NH35 Chinese watches now. $10,000 just seems like a steep price for a watch. Who knows maybe when I’m not a piss broke student, my feelings on the matter will change.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 6:17:42 PM EDT
[#42]
99% of people FGAF about your watch. So who does?

Other "watch guys" - mostly nerds and odd ducks (I say that as a "watch guy").

Criminals looking for a mark/easy prey.

Easily impressed skanks.

You wear a watch mostly for yourself. Maybe it is to mark a special memory or event, a mark of some success in your life, etc.  

Folex does none of that for me. I'd much rather wear a nice Seiko if I was unable to buy the real deal.

So, yeah, fuck that.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 6:20:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I used to want a Rolex till I gave some thought as to what I could buy with Rolex money. Needless to say I'm fine with the <$100 NH35 Chinese watches now. $10,000 just seems like a steep price for a watch. Who knows maybe when I'm not a piss broke student, my feelings on the matter will change.
View Quote

Those $75 Tandorio watches are not a bad deal.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 6:23:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.  But this is GD.

"Fuck China! Now where can I get a TIER ONE knockoff Rolex to try to impress strangers?"

Well china of course.......

Link Posted: 6/17/2024 6:34:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I love my fake Rolex. It’s a great feeling compared with other “watch guys” and knowing they spent 50x as much while they can’t tell the difference. I just say I inherited it from a dead relative when they start asking how I can afford it
View Quote

I own this model rolex, and yes, it's real. This is not a Pic of mine. It's in a safe right now.

I've never ever had anyone ask how I could afford it. I've only ever seen maybe two people at the grocery store look down and stare at it. But never comment. My wife bought it for me for our 30th wedding anniversary. We'll not this watch. I had the older model first, and it was destroyed in a fire. Insurance replaced it with the super case model or replaced at least part of it. The rest I paid. To me, it's a treasure and investment because it's increased in value. It's something I can pass on to my son.

That said, I don't care what anyone buys. If they want to buy a fake rolex more power to them. I don't care. My only thing is if you buy a fake. Buy a great fake, not one of those pos ones that do not look or feel right. If someone asks you about it, Say whatever you want because it's none of their business. I'm thinking of buying a fake stainless steel sub just to wear daily and wear the real one on special occasions. But again, it's not my money nor any of my business what people buy.

I will say this. Rolex watches are heavy. Mine has about 2 oz of 18kt gold in it. You know your are wearing it for sure. Some fakes they've copied are almost perfect. Even the movement inside the watch. It's almost impossible with some to distinguish the difference. Even the fonts, weight and movements are right on the 1:1 fake. I've never held one. So I'm going by pictures I've seen.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 6:44:02 PM EDT
[#46]
We went on our honeymoon in 1983 and came across some Rolex watches at a dealer and my wife said for me to buy one, the Submariner was $700 and that was a pile of money for us back then.

I waited over 30 years and then got a GMT  IIfor me, not anyone else or to impress....bought my wife a two tone ladies about 10 years later.  It is my going out and dress watch.  When we are not wearing them, they are in Wolff winders

I came across Steelfdive watches and they have a Submariner knock off and I bought it for everyday.  It is not bad, heavy, but works great as an everyday wear

Link Posted: 6/17/2024 6:56:24 PM EDT
[#47]
I don't understand why everyone thinks a nice watch is to impress people. Automatic watches are fascinating, and keeping an affordable one set accurately can be frustrating, not to mention relatively low impact manual labor can stop the movement.

Not everyone buys a Rolex to flex. The only people I've seen showing them off usually got it as a gift.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 7:00:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
We went on our honeymoon in 1983 and came across some Rolex watches at a dealer and my wife said for me to buy one, the Submariner was $700 and that was a pile of money for us back then.

I waited over 30 years and then got a GMT  IIfor me, not anyone else or to impress....bought my wife a two tone ladies about 10 years later.  It is my going out and dress watch.  When we are not wearing them, they are in Wolff winders

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/16476/4CAC4F2B-81C0-45D9-92B8-BE085C8D8638-2813500.jpg

I came across Steelfdive watches and they have a Submariner knock off and I bought it for everyday.  It is not bad, heavy, but works great as an everyday wear

https://www.steeldives.com/cdn/shop/files/steeldive-sd-1952-submariner-mechanical-men-watch_3_f5a27940-280f-4495-9827-74994574e625_750x.jpg?v=1714309516
View Quote

The steeldives are decent enough homages. I’m looking at either the Pagani Design Omega Seamaster or Tudor Black Bay homage as my next watch. Nice enough to where I like wearing it, cheap enough to where I won’t feel bad if it breaks or gets stolen.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 7:03:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I don't understand why everyone thinks a nice watch is to impress people. Automatic watches are fascinating, and keeping an affordable one set accurately can be frustrating, not to mention relatively low impact manual labor can stop the movement.

Not everyone buys a Rolex to flex. The only people I've seen showing them off usually got it as a gift.
View Quote

Honestly, the reason I want a Rolex is because I enjoy wearing a real mechanical watch, not electronic, and want to pass it down to my son. I wish my dad had done the same. It's a solid, reliable item that you use several times a day, everyday. It's also a very nice gift, and something that your son would look forward to getting, rather than an old truck or Seiko.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 7:07:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
99% of people FGAF about your watch. So who does?

Easily impressed skanks..
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top