Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 2/10/2008 5:42:34 PM EDT
[#1]

DUDE....W.T.F.!!!   Strip the lower before spraying. Spray the parts separately. BUY A NEW BARREL and have a 'smith install.
Link Posted: 2/10/2008 5:42:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/10/2008 5:42:58 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Dremeling the barrel home.comcast.net/~kylaer/emot-gonk.gif

Please, PLEASE put something thick between you and that gun when you fire it, and use a long string.

There is still plenty on steel underneath the flutes. Probably still thicker than an A1 barrel and definitely thicker than the original barrel on Stoner's prototypes. I have fired over 500 rounds through it since the mods. So far it holding up fine.
Link Posted: 2/10/2008 5:43:10 PM EDT
[#4]
EPIC fail.

You should not be allowed to own tools of any kind.

Let me explain:

You haven't FLUTED the barrel, you've put SLOTS into it.  You have created STRESS RISERS,
and some very SERIOUS ones at that.   I judge the barrel to be extremely unsafe and
likely to rupture.

Fluting is done with ball end milling cutters.  The radius of the cutter end is MUCH greater
than the radius of your slots.  This means that there is MUCH less stress concentration
in the flutes of a properly fluted barrel, compared to the HUGE concentration of stress in
your deep, narrow slots.  

I'm not even worried about the less than straight slots.  That looks awful but it's the
safety issues associated with the stress risers from the slots that's the main problem.

I'm serious...DO NOT FIRE THAT BARREL.   I believe it is DANGEROUS to fire it.

I would not fire it or want to be on the same range with you when you fired it.  I'd
want to be on the other side of the berm with a steel plate umbrellas to protect me
against lofted barrel parts.

CJ
Link Posted: 2/10/2008 5:43:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Awesome!1 I love WECSOG
but next time do a little more disassembly and prep work before painting.
Link Posted: 2/10/2008 5:45:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm calling PETA

(people for the ethical treatment of ARs)

Hope someone tosses a bucket of BreakFree on your ass.

Link Posted: 2/10/2008 5:45:47 PM EDT
[#7]
The Spaniard after his first attempt at "modifying" his weapon:

Link Posted: 2/10/2008 5:45:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Toss it down the driveway for that "season operator" look........

What if your Holosight goes dead.

No BUIS.

Link Posted: 2/10/2008 5:46:33 PM EDT
[#9]
While I agree that fluting should be done on a milling machine and turning the barrel on a lathe.....

why would using a dremel be more dangerous....I does not seem like he went deep enough for there to be a danger.....

its his rifle do as he will to it....

but yes ransom rest test that barrel first just in case
Link Posted: 2/10/2008 5:48:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Dear "The_Spaniard",

Welcome to arfcom and the specifically the GD, you have to have pretty damn think skin to survive here. If you are still here after this thread, you will fit in fine.

Signed,

Just another asshole who populats GD.

Link Posted: 2/10/2008 5:50:14 PM EDT
[#11]
6 pages and a lock.

Remember, alcohol  and dremel tools do not mix.
Link Posted: 2/10/2008 5:50:32 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I swear I've seen your 'custom' ARs at gunshows.

I saw one that was "fluted" circumferentially. Looking at the barrel sideways it looked like a sine wave.
Link Posted: 2/10/2008 5:51:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Ban the Dremel!  Do it for the guns children!

Link Posted: 2/10/2008 5:54:13 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
EPIC fail.

Let me explain:

You haven't FLUTED the barrel, you've put SLOTS into it.  You have created STRESS RISERS,
and some very SERIOUS ones at that.   I judge the barrel to be extremely unsafe and
likely to rupture.

Fluting is done with ball end milling cutters.  The radius of the cutter end is MUCH greater
than the radius of your slots.  This means that there is MUCH less stress concentration
in the flutes of a properly fluted barrel, compared to the HUGE concentration of stress in
your deep, narrow slots.  

I'm not even worried about the less than straight slots.  That looks awful but it's the
safety issues associated with the stress risers from the slots that's the main problem.

I would not fire it or want to be on the same range with you when you fired it.  I'd
want to be on the other side of the berm with a steel plate umbrellas to protect me

CJ

Agree 100%.

The 5.56 is a high pressure cartridge.

You have created points where stress cracking can easily start.

You can reduce the risk of a failure by sanding your flutes such that
there are no sharp cuts left.  Round them out and make them smooth.

DO NOT shoot that gun with anyone standing on either side of you.

If that barrel did happen to blow out, the odds of someone next to you
getting hurt is probably greater than you getting hurt.

Link Posted: 2/10/2008 5:57:02 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Here are a few enhancements I made to my Bushmaster based Carbine. As purchased the Carbine was somewhat of a pig and front heavy due to the Heavy Barrel configuration. I also found that the front sight base interfered with my field of vision as well as fast target aquisition using the Bushnell Holosight. The solid black color of the AR-15 was an issue for me as well. It quickly attracts the attention and recognition of the human eye due to the unique shape and shadow of the rifle.

The tools for this project were simple and consisted of a bench grinder, dremel tool, large and medium sized files, hacksaw, bench vise and GUNKOTE Molybdenum disulfide based firearm finish.

My first step was to remove the front sight base straight across with a hacksaw. I then performed the rough contour using the bench grinder and smoothed it up with hand files.
i28.tinypic.com/33uemmc.jpg

Next I used masking tape and a marker to draw straight lines on the barrel beneath the handguards. I went over these lines with a dremel using progressivley larger cutting and grinding heads until the flutes were of sufficient depth.
i30.tinypic.com/1tv4ic.jpg

After the fluting was completed I used a file to reduce the outside diameter of the barrel in order to save additional weight. To keep it fairly even I used a magic marker as a substitute Dykem marker to see where the high spots were after each pass with the file.
i30.tinypic.com/dyw1lg.jpg

After all the metal work was completed I thoroughly degreased the rifle and applied the GUNKOTE solution per the manufacturers directions. I made the mistake of leaving the selector switch in the same position during the two or three coats required.
i26.tinypic.com/9s70vk.jpg

Project completed. My Carbine is now about 1 lb lighter and definitely better balanced after the modifications.
i31.tinypic.com/29mvbdx.jpg

Quoted because I have a feeling the original post will get edited.
Link Posted: 2/10/2008 5:58:03 PM EDT
[#16]
would like to see more pics of the front site.  The "fluting" not so much

Gotta admit, you have a huge set of balls to try and do your own flute job
Link Posted: 2/10/2008 5:58:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Ho-lee SHIT!

And on top of a PINK blanket, to boot!
Link Posted: 2/10/2008 6:00:00 PM EDT
[#18]
WTF!!!  Man you jacked up a perfectly good AR.  There is a special place in hell for people who do that.
Link Posted: 2/10/2008 6:01:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/10/2008 6:02:28 PM EDT
[#20]
You have won a free trip to ...............The Pakistan Gun Town..........and .........you DO qualify for a JOB....................
Link Posted: 2/10/2008 6:02:37 PM EDT
[#21]
DT
Link Posted: 2/10/2008 6:04:24 PM EDT
[#22]
No Photoshops yet??
Link Posted: 2/10/2008 6:04:27 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
EPIC fail.

Let me explain:

likely to rupture.

your deep, narrow slots.  

CJ

+1 Please for your own safety, get a new barrel.
Link Posted: 2/10/2008 6:05:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Double tap.
Link Posted: 2/10/2008 6:07:06 PM EDT
[#25]
is this an epic thread yet?

Link Posted: 2/10/2008 6:08:24 PM EDT
[#26]
So...Damn...Ghetto...
Link Posted: 2/10/2008 6:09:12 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
No Photoshops yet??

Could it really get Photochopped much worse? Looks like it's been chopped up pretty well as it is.
Link Posted: 2/10/2008 6:09:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Oh fucking no.....
Link Posted: 2/10/2008 6:11:43 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm all for shittifying my rifle, but, um... not that way.  

As long as you are happy, though.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2008 6:11:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Will you be offering this service to the public at any point? I'm thinking that there is a market for the mods you performed and if you keep your pricing down , you might be able to pick up some business with your machining skills and step on the competition.
Link Posted: 2/10/2008 6:12:54 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
So...Damn...Ghetto...

Yep.  I applaud you for trying, and posting here for review.
Link Posted: 2/10/2008 6:13:01 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I took a different approach and fluted the inside of my barrel. Sure, accuracy took a bit of a hit, but it's a tradeoff one must make when on the cutting edge.

Link Posted: 2/10/2008 6:13:03 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
While I agree that fluting should be done on a milling machine and turning the barrel on a lathe.....

why would using a dremel be more dangerous....I does not seem like he went deep enough for there to be a danger.....

A dremel isn't anywhere near as precise as a milling machine.
Link Posted: 2/10/2008 6:14:49 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A dremel isn't anywhere near as precise as a milling machine.

yeah and as a few other guys posted about the sharp edges......I can see where that can cause major stress points in the metal.....

but hey Original poster if you do fire it can we see some video proof?
Link Posted: 2/10/2008 6:15:45 PM EDT
[#35]

Is it april 1 all ready
Link Posted: 2/10/2008 6:18:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Well atleast it's not tapcofucked.
Link Posted: 2/10/2008 6:19:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Crikey!!!!

Link Posted: 2/10/2008 6:19:53 PM EDT
[#38]
I can't tell you how much I'm enjoying this thread.
Link Posted: 2/10/2008 6:21:20 PM EDT
[#39]
I'll let others more qualified talked about the fluting.  

I'm no expert, but I know enough out about barrel profiling to know that what nothing good will come out of this profiled barrel. Since it's hand filed, the amount of steel around the bore will be uneven. As the barrel heats the expansion will distort the barrel.  When the barrel is cool you might get decent accuracy.  But once it gets hot ...
Link Posted: 2/10/2008 6:25:33 PM EDT
[#40]
WHAT in GODS NAME were YOU THINKING ??

Many of us here name our weapons..........might I suggest you name yours "Britney" ?
Link Posted: 2/10/2008 6:26:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Cool, a perforated chamber.
Dibs on all your...............oh, nevermind.
Link Posted: 2/10/2008 6:27:05 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
EPIC fail.

Let me explain:

likely to rupture.

your deep, narrow slots.  

CJ

+1 Please for your own safety, get a new barrel.

Please man, DO NOT FIRE THAT GUN ANYMORE UNTIL YOU REPLACE THE BARREL! The weight is not worth you getting seriously injured!
Link Posted: 2/10/2008 6:27:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Hope you seriously rounded the bottoms of those flutes and didn't cut them too deep.  Otherwise, you cut wonderful sectioning on your barrel for it to split.

+1 on the filing issues as well.  A barrel that has asymmetric flutes and outer diameter relative to the bore axis will likely have accuracy problems.
Link Posted: 2/10/2008 6:28:51 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
an angel just lost one of his wings, so now he has to fly around in a circle.  jesus just also shed a tear.

ROFL
Link Posted: 2/10/2008 6:29:31 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Here are a few enhancements I made to my Bushmaster based Carbine. As purchased the Carbine was somewhat of a pig and front heavy due to the Heavy Barrel configuration. I also found that the front sight base interfered with my field of vision as well as fast target aquisition using the Bushnell Holosight. The solid black color of the AR-15 was an issue for me as well. It quickly attracts the attention and recognition of the human eye due to the unique shape and shadow of the rifle.

The tools for this project were simple and consisted of a bench grinder, dremel tool, large and medium sized files, hacksaw, bench vise and GUNKOTE Molybdenum disulfide based firearm finish.

My first step was to remove the front sight base straight across with a hacksaw. I then performed the rough contour using the bench grinder and smoothed it up with hand files.
i28.tinypic.com/33uemmc.jpg

Next I used masking tape and a marker to draw straight lines on the barrel beneath the handguards. I went over these lines with a dremel using progressivley larger cutting and grinding heads until the flutes were of sufficient depth.
i30.tinypic.com/1tv4ic.jpg

After the fluting was completed I used a file to reduce the outside diameter of the barrel in order to save additional weight. To keep it fairly even I used a magic marker as a substitute Dykem marker to see where the high spots were after each pass with the file.
i30.tinypic.com/dyw1lg.jpg

After all the metal work was completed I thoroughly degreased the rifle and applied the GUNKOTE solution per the manufacturers directions. I made the mistake of leaving the selector switch in the same position during the two or three coats required.
i26.tinypic.com/9s70vk.jpg

Project completed. My Carbine is now about 1 lb lighter and definitely better balanced after the modifications.
i31.tinypic.com/29mvbdx.jpg

something doesn't seem quite right.
Link Posted: 2/10/2008 6:30:05 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Many of us here name our weapons..........might I suggest you name yours "Britney" ?

Ohhhhhhhhhh, shit!
Link Posted: 2/10/2008 6:30:09 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Hope you seriously rounded the bottoms of those flutes and didn't cut them too deep.  Otherwise, you cut wonderful sectioning on your barrel for it to split.

+1 on the filing issues as well.  A barrel that has asymmetric flutes and outer diameter relative to the bore axis will likely have accuracy problems.

But think of all the money he saved by doing the work himself
Link Posted: 2/10/2008 6:30:32 PM EDT
[#48]
I disagree with the comment regarding the Pakistani gunsmithing.

THIS work would NOT be accepted by the Pakistanis!  The steel they use may be
questionable,  but their workmanship is pretty darned good.  They may not make
Gold Cups, but they do know how to make reliable guns.

CJ
Link Posted: 2/10/2008 6:32:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/10/2008 6:35:28 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
DO NOT DREMEL YOUR BARREL!  WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING?

Its going to start cracking.......the fluting is put on there on a mill with a RADIUS TOOL OF SOME KIND......I wouldnt shoot it
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top