User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 5:56:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Eurocopter makes some decent shit. Fuck Airbus, tho.

The granddaddy of the EC145 is the Bo-105/BK117. Rigid rotor goodness.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A helicopter built by Scarebus? They can't even get flight control logic for fixed wing right. No thanks.

Eurocopter makes some decent shit. Fuck Airbus, tho.

The granddaddy of the EC145 is the Bo-105/BK117. Rigid rotor goodness.

All of our EC's are under-powered, that is the drivers biggest complaint.

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 6:01:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

NOT a success story for anyone
View All Quotes
Quoted:

NOT a success story for anyone

I havent found too much info on those, but they look pretty capable,....and awesome.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 6:02:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 6:03:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Non-deployable.  Now coming to an active training unit @ Ft Rucker, b/c of budget cuts.  How would you like to learn to fly in a twin-engine European helicopter?
View Quote

Isn't it the MBB BK-117 in fatigues? Those clamshell rear doors make me believe this...
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 6:06:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Isn't it the MBB BK-117 in fatigues? Those clamshell rear doors make me believe this...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Non-deployable.  Now coming to an active training unit @ Ft Rucker, b/c of budget cuts.  How would you like to learn to fly in a twin-engine European helicopter?

Think so.  It's just a civilian helicopter w/ few military mods.  Think they had to add A/C after the initial buy b/c the avionics kept overheating in American summers.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 6:11:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Think so.  It's just a civilian helicopter w/ few military mods.  Think they had to add A/C after the initial buy b/c the avionics kept overheating in American summers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  Non-deployable.  Now coming to an active training unit @ Ft Rucker, b/c of budget cuts.  How would you like to learn to fly in a twin-engine European helicopter?

Thx! After I posted I saw the rest of the pics... note the engine intakes are shaped significantly different and there's something... strange about the nose shape compared to the original BK-117. As another poster pointed out it surely is a derivative of that airframe, if not of directly linear descent.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 6:20:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Messerschmit-Bokow-Blom.  Used in Civvy form for the rear-opening clamshell doors....Air Ambulance.
I've been in 'em and the first time we came into ground effect, I thought we were crashing.... lots of pounding vibration.

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 6:34:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 6:56:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Got to fly one around the pattern once.   Cool machine and much respect for those rotor-heads out there.   I felt like a one armed paper hanger in a wind storm.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 7:04:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I see, thanks for explaining it.  I assume the second part is tongue in cheek but also truth.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting.  I heard some were being bought but used here.  What's the reason for keeping them stateside?

They're not combat aircraft with the systems in place on a Blackhawk for example. They're significantly less than a Blackhawk in terms of acquisition and operating costs which explains why they've been a success with the Guard.

I see, thanks for explaining it.  I assume the second part is tongue in cheek but also truth.

Ha, after re-reading that I can see where I could be misunderstood. I was purely speaking from a financial standpoint. The aircraft costs less than a Blackhawk, so if you're looking at your bottom line, the LUH has been a success.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 7:06:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thx! After I posted I saw the rest of the pics... note the engine intakes are shaped significantly different and there's something... strange about the nose shape compared to the original BK-117. As another poster pointed out it surely is a derivative of that airframe, if not of directly linear descent.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The EC145 is on the same type certificate as the Bk117. The latest iteration will be the EC145T2 with the mother-of-all-Fenestrons, which should enter the US market in the latter part of this year.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 7:13:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
When in the hell did we start calling that tribe the Lakota?

http://www.508pir.org/images/aircraft/c47_tail_nr_42-92841_02.jpg
View Quote

That's a Dakota not a Lakota.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 8:42:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Ha, after re-reading that I can see where I could be misunderstood. I was purely speaking from a financial standpoint. The aircraft costs less than a Blackhawk, so if you're looking at your bottom line, the LUH has been a success.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting.  I heard some were being bought but used here.  What's the reason for keeping them stateside?

They're not combat aircraft with the systems in place on a Blackhawk for example. They're significantly less than a Blackhawk in terms of acquisition and operating costs which explains why they've been a success with the Guard.

LOL cool.  Thanks for explaining it.  Makes sense for a beater to fly around it sounds like.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top