User Panel

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 2:00:07 PM EDT
[#1]
lol wow
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 2:01:22 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are  1.5-2 car lengths behind someone you're to close.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 2:02:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Almost described my best wreck.  Just left the town, was accelerating to highway speed (55mph at the time).  Subconscious did all the thinking.  Kids playing on the road in the left lane, car stopped on the road in my lane.  Ditch to my right, pretty deep ditch - but can not hit the kids, hitting the stopped car might hit the kids.  Go for the ditch and hope I don't roll, this is going to hurt.

Somehow my truck does not roll, it comes to a stop - with the fucking car right in front of it.  Damn car turned without signals into their driveway.  Truck grinds to a hault into their car - perfect, abet slow motion T-bone.  Cops are there very quickly.  Son, you don't want to look at your truck.  Not a fucking scratch on it - accept the front axle is rotated 90 degrees, and the tires are about 1" from entering the cab.  Barely kissed that damn car after ripping off my front axle on the culvert.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 2:04:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you are  1.5-2 car lengths behind someone you're to close.
View Quote

Car length following went away decades ago. 2 second rule has been the norm. That varies with speed and gives you the cushion for reaction and stopping. Increase your weight and increase the gap.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 2:05:25 PM EDT
[#5]
OP is Karen?
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 2:09:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Car length following went away decades ago. 2 second rule has been the norm. That varies with speed and gives you the cushion for reaction and stopping. Increase your weight and increase the gap.
View Quote
Heavy trucks need more than 2.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 2:09:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Well I'm an old man who drives his Lincoln in the right hand lane. Taking my time. Maintaining a safe distance. Letting the people in a hurry have that left hand lane to themselves. That old fool.

Yet there's often someone who just has to follow closely. Climbing my ass like I'm a Saturday night date. Kind of sounds like OP. Maybe next time he'll keep his eyes open and take his time.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 2:14:49 PM EDT
[#8]
This reminds me I should talk with my father about giving up his keys.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 2:23:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Sounds like you were following too close and don't want to admit it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 2:24:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 2:24:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

My average following distance for the month (4010 minutes analyzed by our in-cab AI cameras) is 3.9 seconds.  Count that out next time you are on the highway.

View Quote
I hate to say it, but "Bitching Betty" would probably make most of us better drivers.  I'll catch myself inside of that minimum 2-second offset from time to time.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 2:27:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/15/2024 2:27:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm still trying to figure out what she did to deserve being called a Karen.

Did she come into the OP's place of employment and ask to speak to the manager because he gave her cold fries?

Did she complain to the HOA because the OP's mom tried growing corn in the yard?

If all she did was say her husband was a cop and she was calling the police because of the accident, that doesn't make her a Karen, that makes her smart. She's probably heard him tell her a thousand times about people whose insurance skyrocketed after the person at fault changed their story about not being injured or the insurer denied the claim for lack of a report.

She didn't cause you to be delayed over an hour while you waited for the police. You caused her life to be delayed more than an hour while she waited for the police to come write up a report about your negligence.

You may admit fault for causing the accident, but you sure as shit seem to be trying to absolve yourself of the blame you're due for causing the ripple effects and are trying to pin that blame on your victim.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 2:30:13 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm sure it's been said, but sounds like a classic case of following too closely.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 2:41:37 PM EDT
[#15]
You were at fault...technically or not, still it is your fault. In PA any hit from behind is your culpa.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 2:43:11 PM EDT
[#16]
It's largely her fault.  If someone is tailgating you 1.5-2 car lengths behind you, you should be signaling miles before your turn - and periodically brake checking so they are a safe distance away when you turn.

Plus, did you see the way she was dressed?
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 2:45:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm still trying to figure out what she did to deserve being called a Karen.

Did she come into the OP's place of employment and ask to speak to the manager because he gave her cold fries?

Did she complain to the HOA because the OP's mom tried growing corn in the yard?

If all she did was say her husband was a cop and she was calling the police because of the accident, that doesn't make her a Karen, that makes her smart. She's probably heard him tell her a thousand times about people whose insurance skyrocketed after the person at fault changed their story about not being injured or the insurer denied the claim for lack of a report.

She didn't cause you to be delayed over an hour while you waited for the police. You caused her life to be delayed more than an hour while she waited for the police to come write up a report about your negligence.

You may admit fault for causing the accident, but you sure as shit seem to be trying to absolve yourself of the blame you're due for causing the ripple effects and are trying to pin that blame on your victim.
View Quote

Aaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllll of this.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 2:46:39 PM EDT
[#18]
People don't think inattentive driving be like it is until it do.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 2:48:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Read my last line.... I explained that.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 2:49:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

What deflections and illogical explanations ?

Questioning the presence of a turn signal ?  Legit question...it wouldn't make a difference but it would be nice to know if it was actually on or not.  For my own sanity.

Obviously you missed the part where I admitted I was " at fault, theres no denying that ".

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
lol at you being 100% at fault (in PA you absolutely are) and somehow being upset with her.

"Karen" had every right to be pissed at a self admitted distracted driver, and also every right to call the police for a report to give to insurance, which backs up you being 100% at fault.  All the deflection and illogical explanations you give in the OP are a far bigger reflection on YOU, not on the "Karen".

Questioning the presence of a turn signal ?  Legit question...it wouldn't make a difference but it would be nice to know if it was actually on or not.  For my own sanity.

Obviously you missed the part where I admitted I was " at fault, theres no denying that ".

Damn u guys R good lol

i should have read through first page first
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 2:53:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Why are you going to such lengths to avoid the truth that you were tailgating, driving irresponsible and your actions lead to the collision.

1.5 - 2 car lengths separation is fine for 5 mph...not for 45 MPH or whatever speed you were at.

I aim for a minimum of two seconds between passing the same object and prefer at least four seconds.  Try it.

Update:  I have 1.5 - 2 car lengths between me and the car ahead...stopped at lights.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 2:54:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The fact that she was a " slow turner " didn't help matters either.  I'm not saying you should make turns going at highway speeds, but these folks who slow down and almost come to a complete stop and take forever to make a turn are a ridiculous.
View Quote

These people REALLY tick me off. Times I just want to cave in their entire back end with my ranch hand steel bumper on my F250
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 2:57:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File

Very true
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 3:00:11 PM EDT
[#24]
I wonder how her back and neck feel today?
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 3:04:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

hydration
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why you no watch where you go?

hydration

Should switch to Smart Water.

Master Troll at work.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 3:04:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Was this your wife?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The nerve of her for being a slow turner and being cautious.

Maybe she should not look at the road while driving , that sounds much safer.

Was this your wife?

Link Posted: 2/15/2024 3:06:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I wonder how her back and neck feel today?
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/15/2024 3:08:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Multiple things can be true at the same time. Following too closely is bad. Farting around with a screw top water bottle is bad. These were both admitted to by the OP. Thank goodness no one was hurt. Peeling more layers of the onion is good.

Some other bad things: No signal, or last second signal are bad and happen thousands, maybe millions of times per day. Combine that with the nearly complete stopping to turn and fucking up everyone behind you is bad. Getting hit in the ass by a tailgater who's fiddle fucking around with a water jug, partly because of a possible lack of signal and a slow roll fucktard turn is also bad.

Also, four left lane campers, may fuck be upon them, can fit on a bar stool. Just turn it upside down.

Link Posted: 2/15/2024 3:14:29 PM EDT
[#29]
3 second rule is the recommended safe following distance in the drivers manual here.  At 30 mph that's 132 feet.  A bit more than 2 car lengths.

Average car length according to the evil pricks at google is 14.7 feet.  Call 2 of them 30 feet.

2 car lengths over 3 seconds would be 10 ft/s or around 6.8 mph.

Not only were you distracted, you were tailgating.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 3:17:14 PM EDT
[#30]
So she's a Karen because you hit her and she wants the crash you caused documented to make the insurance claim easier for her?

Got it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 3:25:50 PM EDT
[#31]
F slow turners.

Being a slow turner is but one characteristic of a shitty driver in general.  I bet OP never saw the turn signal bc she never used it.   I’m betting she also turned right from the far left edge of the lane instead of pulling to the right as she slowed to a near stop in the road.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 3:36:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

In OP’s defense, she did drag out to an hour what could have been done in 5 minutes or less.  Couple of snaps of the cell phone camera and an exchange of information.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
lol at you being 100% at fault (in PA you absolutely are) and somehow being upset with her.

“Karen” had every right to be pissed at a self admitted distracted driver, and also every right to call the police for a report to give to insurance, which backs up you being 100% at fault.  All the deflection and illogical explanations you give in the OP are a far bigger reflection on YOU, not on the “Karen”.

Karen
Just had to call the police even though she didn’t have to
Must not have had her turn signal on
She claims but had to have done it last second
She just had minor damage, I’m the one that had major damage
She was a slow turner
Just a fender bender
Other guy was on my side
Been a good driver for 30 years
99% at fault
Took an hour out of my life and 3 cops to sort this nonsense

I can add more…

In OP’s defense, she did drag out to an hour what could have been done in 5 minutes or less.  Couple of snaps of the cell phone camera and an exchange of information.

But what if you just exchange information and when you contact your insurance company the other person has a different version of what happened? This was 100% the OPs fault and even he tried to place a little blame on the other driver. I'd always get a Police report unless someone wanted to hand me cash on the spot to cover the damage.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 3:54:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

But what if you just exchange information and when you contact your insurance company the other person has a different version of what happened? This was 100% the OPs fault and even he tried to place a little blame on the other driver. I'd always get a Police report unless someone wanted to hand me cash on the spot to cover the damage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

“Karen” had every right to be pissed at a self admitted distracted driver, and also every right to call the police for a report to give to insurance, which backs up you being 100% at fault.  All the deflection and illogical explanations you give in the OP are a far bigger reflection on YOU, not on the “Karen”.

Karen
Just had to call the police even though she didn’t have to
Must not have had her turn signal on
She claims but had to have done it last second
She just had minor damage, I’m the one that had major damage
She was a slow turner
Just a fender bender
Other guy was on my side
Been a good driver for 30 years
99% at fault
Took an hour out of my life and 3 cops to sort this nonsense

I can add more…

Yep, it’s a risk.

I think everyone’s risk tolerance is a bit different.  

Link Posted: 2/15/2024 4:00:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Woops I meant west! I really need to stop typing up these responses during my commute.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 4:12:32 PM EDT
[#35]
I have had people tailgate me at the OP's separation at 45-55 MPH and I just slow down.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 4:14:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
F slow turners.

Being a slow turner is but one characteristic of a shitty driver in general.  I bet OP never saw the turn signal bc she never used it.   I’m betting she also turned right from the far left edge of the lane instead of pulling to the right as she slowed to a near stop in the road.
View Quote

Nonsense.  I will slow down as is prudent and if I have to be at 5 MPH because of snow or whatever reason, anyone behind needs to wait.  I signal well in advance.  Tailgaters are the problem.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 4:52:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

what were you cited for ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I used to be a Cop. (Retired now)

Twent years ago, when off-duty, I caused a motor vehicle accident in much the same way as OP.

The lady I hit told me she “thought she had her turn signal on”. I told her THAT didn’t make any difference, because I was at fault.

A few minutes later an Officer arrived to investigate.
He and I were hired and sworn-in together on the same day. He issued me a citation.

After the Officer finished his investigation, and I was released from the scene, I drove straight to the Municipal court and paid my fine.

The end.

what were you cited for ?

“ACDA”

(Assured clear distance ahead)
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 5:07:05 PM EDT
[#38]
God I am sick of people that come to a damn stop before making a right turn off a main road.

Got one corner like that on way home and fucktards move all the way into the gutter then come to damn near complete stop.    Meanwhile if they stayed 3-5 feet out from gutter they could take a wider turn at damn near 3 times the speed, a corner I can take at 40mph if I wanted and they slow to like 5 while trying to avoid rear wheel cheaf hopping the curb.

Fuck now I am all fired up and pissed.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 5:11:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Change thread title to “I’m a careless driver and call people names when I’m held accountable”.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 6:13:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
That is why they are called accidents.

View Quote

They are collisions.  This one was preventable by watching the road and increasing following distance.  Accidents is what people use to pretty up a F up.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 6:15:03 PM EDT
[#41]
TL DR.

Do you have dash cam?
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 6:18:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You said "increase your weight and increase the gap".....this is GD, it's safe to assume many thought you were calling them fat.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 9:26:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Lol. I got pulled over in Tampa on the crosstown, back in mid 2000's when there still were toll booths.  It was early, maybe 0300, and I was headed into MacDill. As I approached the tool booth I stayed maybe 50' back as there was big truck in front in the booth area and a vehicle behind me….the booth area is all concrete barrier….perfect ambush set up and kill zone.

Rule of thumb for vehicle ambush is use a blocking vehicle at least double the size of the target vehicle…..anyways truck leaves, I wait maybe 30 sec until it's well clear and then bust right through the booth. I had sunpass so all good but that concrete kill zone had my spider sense up. Turns out the guy behind me was TPD and he pulled me over.

He walks up and looks to see if I have a sunpass.  He sees it and asks me why I ran through the booth…that question caught me off guard as I hadn't really thought all that much about it and I suppose it was just conditioning and instinct.

I think it over and answer him. He just looks at me kind of stunned.  I kind of nicely told him that he should start thinking like that….officer survival and all that jazz.

Afterwards I sort of realized that the shit was catching up with me and I was spending way too much time down range. Oh well.
View Quote

I don't think it's a bad habit to break honestly.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top