Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 5:56:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If they passed the boards and clinicals...who TF cares.

Nursing is so easy to be a RN you should be able to get that shit at the community college in two years. NP, maybe another year and 1 in the field.

Like seriously....
View Quote

Sarcasm? Nursing school is one of the longest AIT’s in the military with one of the highest failout rates. The shit is NOT easy I know this from experience.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 5:57:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Should have been prosecuted and barred from ever getting a license. Everyone involved should be in jail. Practicing Medicine without a license you will go to jail and you will never be allowed to sit for Boards. Pretty sure it’s the same for Dentistry.

It has little to do with being able to pass a test that there are most likely answers floating around. I would not want anyone fully and formally trained and licensed involved in my or anyone else’s health care. Enough mistakes happen from people who are fully trained to allow this Bull Shit. I wonder if demographics played a role in deciding outcome?
View Quote

Probably so. Some of the worst nurses I have worked with as a whole are nigerians. Literally dumber than a box of rocks, and yes I have seen their mistakes lead to the glades th of a patient.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 6:01:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I know several people who are "nurses", that flat do not have the mental capacity to flip whoopers at McDonalds.
View Quote

"whoopers" or "Whoppers" ?
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 6:03:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Having taken the NCLEX and passed it in 66 questions, it wasn't exactly hard.  There are many different tools you can buy that look identical to the NCLEX to study with, one such as UWORLD.  Using UWORLD, you could easily study for a month and pass the exam.

School in and of itself did little to prepare me for clinical work. It laid some of the very core, baseline skills needed, but most of the stuff that even remotely prepared me was clinicals.  Most of my actual learning how to be a Nurse was on the job.

That said, anyone who skips all the bullshit I had to go through to get my degree can eat a bag of dicks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Honestly I'm surprised they could pass the exam.  Almost impressive.

Having taken the NCLEX and passed it in 66 questions, it wasn't exactly hard.  There are many different tools you can buy that look identical to the NCLEX to study with, one such as UWORLD.  Using UWORLD, you could easily study for a month and pass the exam.

School in and of itself did little to prepare me for clinical work. It laid some of the very core, baseline skills needed, but most of the stuff that even remotely prepared me was clinicals.  Most of my actual learning how to be a Nurse was on the job.

That said, anyone who skips all the bullshit I had to go through to get my degree can eat a bag of dicks.

Yeah I don't see how people here are fine with it.  That was one of the most stressful endeavors I'll ever do.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 6:04:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 6:05:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So?

If they passed the NCLEX, got hired, and then passed shadowing/training and final check offs for the hospital, then good on them.

No ER I worked at allowed a baby nurse to work on their own without thorough supervision and on the job skills vetting.

All this means is that nursing education is largely bullshit, and the vast majority of the important knowledge is from on the job experience.
View Quote

Sidebar: Watching ER last night, and heard an amusing joke... "What's the difference between an ER nurse and a Porsche?"

..."not everyone's been in a Porsche!"
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 6:07:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Wonder why so many people die each year from medical mistakes????????
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 6:07:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Joe Biden School of Nursing and Locomotive Engineering?

I have seen a lot of RN's with degrees from accredited schools that are not qualified to run the french fry machine at McDonalds.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 6:09:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Also sounds like propoganda. Federal agents overreaching into some patriot or conservative group...more likely than someone passed the nursing board exam without going to school. Riiiiight! And anyone can pass the bar, cpa and medical board exams without going to school...

Clown world.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 6:10:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Regent's College graduate here.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 6:11:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hell, my doctor isn't really a doctor (PA).
View Quote

Same here.  I have a better patient/provider relationship with her
than any of the docs in the clinic in town.  I used to dread going
to the clinic.  Now, it's tolerable.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 6:12:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Also sounds like propoganda. Federal agents overreaching into some patriot or conservative group...more likely than someone passed the nursing board exam without going to school. Riiiiight! And anyone can pass the bar, cpa and medical board exams without going to school...

Clown world.
View Quote

No this was legit.  It was posted on our bulletin boards over a week ago.  I can only imagine what some of those people paid for those diplomas.  Easily five figures I would think.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 6:16:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Nursing is so easy to be a RN you should be able to get that shit at the community college in two years. NP, maybe another year and 1 in the field.

Like seriously....
View Quote
It still is 2 years unless you get a BSN degree.  Just looked RN in 12 months
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 6:17:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Odd, she does not look like a chunky girl

Maybe a super big butt??
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 6:20:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If they can pass the board without having earned a diploma, what does that say about schools and board?
View Quote

Actually, it says something about the ANA and the state boards of nursing. The college stuff is the requirement of the nursing boards and promoted by the ANA.

I had a bio degree with a focus on human biology. Inherent in that is "pre-med". Yet I had to repeat many of my science courses with the simpler nursing versions because the board of nursing required it of the university. Easiest classes I ever took but costly in terms of time and tuition. Where I learned things in nursing school was in clinical rotations, and practical classes about bedside care, medication administration, and things like that. In many ways I wished I had simply jumped to a trade school or 2 year community college for an Associate's in nursing. Same license at the end.

There are lots of folks out there with various related degrees and experiences that should be able to take shortcuts to a nursing degree, but many boards of nursing won't hear of it. They want you in a full 4 year program for a BSN, no matter what you have for background. Makes sense for a history major, not so much for a human biologist or someone with masters or practice doctorate in physical therapy.

Lately, there are more accommodations made for "acceptable" alternate courses, but it is still very hit or miss and sometimes completely illogical.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 6:22:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So?

If they passed the NCLEX, got hired, and then passed shadowing/training and final check offs for the hospital, then good on them.

No ER I worked at allowed a baby nurse to work on their own without thorough supervision and on the job skills vetting.

All this means is that nursing education is largely bullshit, and the vast majority of the important knowledge is from on the job experience.
View Quote

As much as I hate to say it......

Maybe this.  

If they passed the proper tests, etc then obviously they have the required knowledge.  

I know that when I went through EMT school there's no way I could have passed the
then state exam, or NREMT later.  Just medical terminology and A&P would have been impossible.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 6:23:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I’ve always thought nursing education, to the RN level, should be similar to an apprenticeship.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like seriously....

I’ve always thought nursing education, to the RN level, should be similar to an apprenticeship.

That used to be an option and in many geographic areas, the only way. They turned out excellent bedside nurses. Hospitals used to have dorms for them built in. They lived and worked and learned at the hospital then got their diploma and RN in the end, after taking boards.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 6:26:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If they passed the NCLEX who cares?
View Quote

Because all the NCLEX tests is book knowledge. Nursing has a lot of actual hands on skills that need to be mastered that can't be tested for that way. I'd even say the non-testable things are the most important.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 6:28:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Actually, it says something about the ANA and the state boards of nursing. The college stuff is the requirement of the nursing boards and promoted by the ANA.

I had a bio degree with a focus on human biology. Inherent in that is "pre-med". Yet I had to repeat many of my science courses with the simpler nursing versions because the board of nursing required it of the university. Easiest classes I ever took but costly in terms of time and tuition. Where I learned things in nursing school was in clinical rotations, and practical classes about bedside care, medication administration, and things like that. In many ways I wished I had simply jumped to a trade school or 2 year community college for an Associate's in nursing. Same license at the end.

There are lots of folks out there with various related degrees and experiences that should be able to take shortcuts to a nursing degree, but many boards of nursing won't hear of it. They want you in a full 4 year program for a BSN, no matter what you have for background. Makes sense for a history major, not so much for a human biologist or someone with masters or practice doctorate in physical therapy.

Lately, there are more accommodations made for "acceptable" alternate courses, but it is still very hit or miss and sometimes completely illogical.
View Quote

The "heart" of a good nursing program is in the clinicals.  Any damn fool that "tests well"  can pass the written stuff.  It's when it comes time to jab that sharp piece of steel into the stranger's arm or pass a foot plus long tube up a dude's cock that separates the wheat from the chaff.  That's also why all newly graduated RNs are, IMO, suspect.  Not their fault either.  The covid scam screwed so many out of a proper clinical experience.  They were practicing IV starts on fucking stuffed animals at home for fuck's sake.

Edit:  I see the poster above covered it well already.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 6:29:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It still is 2 years unless you get a BSN degree.  Just looked RN in 12 months
View Quote

It's 2 years after the pre-reqs.

Can take 2 years to get your pre-reqs done.  So, depending on how fast you knock them out, BSN can take up to 5 years to earn.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 6:29:20 PM EDT
[#21]
My “doctor” is a nurse…(practioner) she wears shorter skirts and teases me with upskirt shots…I like her.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 6:36:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yeah I don't see how people here are fine with it.  That was one of the most stressful endeavors I'll ever do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I went through it, while working full time to support my wife who couldn't do it while working.  I still say, who cares if they pass the NCLEX?

First you say the boards were easy implying it's insufficient to test someone's knowledge alone, to which I would ask then why bother making them a requirement?  Then you say school didn't prepare you for clinical work either, to which I again ask, then why bother making it a requirement?  Then you get to the root of your position which is, "this sucked for me so it should suck for everyone else" which while understandable, has little to do with the quality of care these individuals were capable of providing.

Link Posted: 2/1/2023 6:39:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I went through it, while working full time to support my wife who couldn't do it while working.  I still say, who cares if they pass the NCLEX?

First you say the boards were easy implying it's insufficient to test someone's knowledge alone, to which I would ask then why bother making them a requirement?  Then you say school didn't prepare you for clinical work either, to which I again ask, then why bother making it a requirement?  Then you get to the root of your position which is, "this sucked for me so it should suck for everyone else" which while understandable, has little to do with the quality of care these individuals were capable of providing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK.  Let's extrapolate that to everything.  I identify as a doctor today.  Can I manage your CHF?  I didn't think so.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 6:40:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, well, this is the culmination of two female dominated fields, education and nursing.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 6:41:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

If they'll cheat to get a degree, what else will they cheat / take shortcuts on?

Its your life in their hands, not mine.  I'm not okay with it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 6:42:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Because all the NCLEX tests is book knowledge. Nursing has a lot of actual hands on skills that need to be mastered that can't be tested for that way. I'd even say the non-testable things are the most important.
View Quote

I'm aware.

Book knowledge required to get the ADN or BSN degree one might assume, so again, what's the point of the test at all, much less both?
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 6:45:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

OK.  Let's extrapolate that to everything.  I identify as a doctor today.  Can I manage your CHF?  I didn't think so.
View Quote

I don't know how I've given you the impression that I'm advocating -zero- education or testing to be an RN.  But if you are an RN with any amount of experience, yeah you probably could based on practical experience.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 6:47:55 PM EDT
[#28]
They better all be nurses, for the amount of health care I am paying and all the "procedures" they are performing on me

Link Posted: 2/1/2023 6:51:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

It is impressive. I believe any LVN/LPN that wants to challenge the NCLEX for their RN should be able to. Many of the BSN and two year RN courses are borderline bullshit. I didn't really learn anything new in my BSN classes. I had to drop out last year to take care of my wifes father to get him moved down here, I'm not really that motivated to go back.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 6:52:51 PM EDT
[#30]
I had to show a nurse with BSN next to her name how to use a can opener. My opinion of nurses changed drastically once I got a job in the medical industry.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 6:55:39 PM EDT
[#31]
This was news a week or two ago.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 7:00:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'm aware.

Book knowledge required to get the ADN or BSN degree one might assume, so again, what's the point of the test at all, much less both?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm aware.

No, it isn't really degree kind of knowledge tested for, it is nursing care specific, but the test asks a random sampling of questions across a great number of areas. You might get 5 questions on pharmacology, but they are drawn from a bank of thousands of questions about thousands of drugs. The test assumes if you studied enough to answer the 5 correctly, you must know a lot of pharmacology since the drugs involved are random. Same concept across the other areas of practice tested for.  v

Overall, the test is a piss poor judge, but a long time ago, the nursing goddesses determined that there needed to be a standardized test instead of random boards of nursing doing personal interviews and/or observing actual bedside practice.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 7:10:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

My thought exactly.  I watched my daughter study her ass off to pass the boards even with a BSN degree.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My thought exactly.  I watched my daughter study her ass off to pass the boards even with a BSN degree.

Where can you take the exam?  Are they proctor?  Proctored by who?  Plenty of other certifications you can easily "buy" by taking an exam class that guarantees you pass.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 7:11:36 PM EDT
[#34]
We had what was called "SNAP" nurses during COVID. Sent from the .Gov.
Some of them were so bad, I would believe we got a few of these.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 7:31:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Regent's College graduate here.
View Quote

Same here for the AD, WGU for the BS. Started as an LPN at the local Vo-Tech.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 7:31:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Where can you take the exam?  Are they proctor?  Proctored by who?  Plenty of other certifications you can easily "buy" by taking an exam class that guarantees you pass.
View Quote

It’s at a state appointed testing facility.  You have to provide ID, etc.  The test takes place on a computer, questions are randomly generated.  Phones are locked up.  There’s someone controlling entry to the testing room and cameras monitoring during.  Other people are simultaneously taking other state certification tests at the same time.

They offer NCLEX prep courses that are more about how to answer the question.  Most questions have multiple correctish answers, but the test taker has to prioritize which answer is the most correct.

There must be a way to cheat, but I’m not sure how.  The test is very hard, but the standard to pass must not be that bad.  MOST seem to pass it.  

The test itself is unusual in that it throttles the questions based on how the person is performing.  If the test seems super tough, with mostly multiple multiple (choose all that apply) it generally means your above the passing standard.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 7:33:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It is impressive. I believe any LVN/LPN that wants to challenge the NCLEX for their RN should be able to. Many of the BSN and two year RN courses are borderline bullshit. I didn't really learn anything new in my BSN classes. I had to drop out last year to take care of my wifes father to get him moved down here, I'm not really that motivated to go back.
View Quote

I agree. After being an LPN, the AD and BS were a waste of my money. Of course, 23 year old BSN pre Madonna's and their instructors would argue that.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:13:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Not caffeinated. Just seen shitty nurses that didn’t know what the hell they are doing far too many times. Providers need to be able to fully trust their support staff as lives do depend on it. There are a few I have in mind that I do t think any way in Hell they could pass boards (and the bar isn’t that high) We lock people up for DUI right? Because they could kill someone by their actions
View Quote

You realize that the shitty ones passed state boards and testing?
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:18:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

All the more reason to not lower the bar even further
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:20:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Maybe there was some nefarious shenanigans with the test as well?

View Quote

Or paramedics and former military medics who had enough knowledge to fake it, and wanted to skip the years of schooling?

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:26:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I agree. After being an LPN, the AD and BS were a waste of my money. Of course, 23 year old BSN pre Madonna's and their instructors would argue that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funny story about my some of my labs and clinicals, I ended up teaching most of the skills in both settings. I felt like I should have been paid for the huge amount of instructing I did. One of our lab instructors was way out of date with skills and for lack of a better word, DUMB. It also helps that I usually take on 3-4 students when the Army LVN Students rotate through our floor. We have some really good Army RN Officers working on our floor and wouldn't hesitate to be under their care.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:26:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

yeah no shit. like seriusly...The BSN is a horseshit degree.

WHY TF you need a bachelors to go with Nursing? It's Nursing...if you really need a degree to run a company into the ground just get an MBA
View Quote

Umm you don’t. RN is a two year program at the community college. The BSN straight out of high school is a bullshit money making scheme that does you no good as a new nurse.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:28:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

So they gamed the system and lied about school but you don’t think they would cheat every way possible to pass boards?
View Quote

The NCLEX is in pretty much a locked room. I don’t think it’s possible to actually cheat on it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:39:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:52:43 PM EDT
[#45]
My give a shit is fairly low being that they passed their exams and there doesn't seem to be a trail of dead patients following them.

I'd imagine that if one was reasonably bright and had a fake nursing degree...you would work your ass off to not make mistakes or draw attention to yourself.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:53:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Well, they did pass the nursing exam to get licensed..

In some states you can become a lawyer by passing the bar without having ever attended law school.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:56:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
My give a shit is fairly low being that they passed their exams and there doesn't seem to be a trail of dead patients following them.

I'd imagine that if one was reasonably bright and had a fake nursing degree...you would work your ass off to not make mistakes or draw attention to yourself.  
View Quote

The bolded part is largely due to better more experienced actual nurses "catching their back" or whatever they want to call it now.  I have to do it every day.  Pretty scary to think what might go down without seasoned overwatch.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 9:03:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

I didn’t learn much at all from my BSN degree

It was writing a bunch of papers in apa format on social justice shit like

“End of life pain management for opioid naïve Hawaiian native homosexuals”
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 9:09:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Looks authentic to me!

Link Posted: 2/1/2023 9:27:58 PM EDT
[#50]
I’m surprised with the general “it doesn’t matter” regarding school because they passed their boards. Would I be granted the same leniency if I was somehow ABMS certified but did not go to Med school? Would you want me (or anyone else with the same credentials) doing LASIK on you? If you’re OK with that you can go to Costa Rica and get the procedure + a nice vacation for the cost of getting it done here. your results of course, may very
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top