Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:00:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't do ultimatums.  If an employee asks for a raise, that is fine. If they say they have to have a raise or they are leaving, then I say goodbye.  Simple as that.  I don't "fire" them.  I tell them no to the raise and they have to hold up their end of the deal.  They quit.  We had one that did that crap with our old manager shortly after he got married and got his wife pregnant.  

He told the manager that since he had a wife and kid on the way, he needed more money in order to keep his job.  He wanted more money than anyone else in his section was getting paid at the time.  The manager at the time gave him the raise.  I would not have given him the raise.  Many of the other employees were married with kids and they were making it just fine.  And, I didn't make him get married or have a kid.  He had the fun in making the kid, he has to deal with the consequences of that fun.  If he couldn't afford the kid at his current level of pay, then he should have bought a 75 cent condom or abstained or pulled out.

In other words, I don't listen to ultimatums and I don't fall for sob stories involving kids.  Now illnesses with family and kids are different, but saying you deserve more money because you had sex doesn't jive with me.  jmho.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:00:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm a millennial and I wouldn't get out of bed for 75k.
View Quote
LOL.  And what do you do for a living money bags?
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:01:14 PM EDT
[#3]
This is not going to go the way OP intended...
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:01:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:01:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I see it quite a bit with the millennials, but I would say we seem to have a cultural problem whereby lots of people can't seem to connect that their compensation must correspond in some way to the value they provide to whatever organization the work for.  Everyone gets a participation trophy as a kid, so they assume rewards are no longer associated with results.
View Quote
Or maybe they see that their wages give them less buying power than what their parents had.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:01:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Maybe it's because I'm in that weird no-man's land between Gen-X and Z (or millennial, or whatever), but this doesn't sound crazy to me. It sounds like they already had another gig lined up, and figured they'd do you the favor of letting you match the salary. You didn't, they split, you're both happy. 

What am I missing? None of this sounds CRAZY to me. 
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:02:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I know your industry is probably very different than mine but if a competent, well liked service rep in my industry was making 57k he'd be underpaid.

If he quit for not getting a raise to 75k then I'm guessing he already had a similar paying job set up and was seeing if you'd match or pay better. Hardly crazy, I'd do the same thing.
View Quote
Yep.  Sounds like the guy gave them a chance to match his offer and moved on to his new higher paying gig.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:02:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Why be loyal to a company? Profit sharing, pensions, steady raises don't exist anymore. The only way to get more benefits is to negotiate them at the next employment contract based on your experience.
View Quote
Absolutely this. And think about what the guy you quoted wrote. Apparently his company is totally fine hiring some unproven outsider for a $15K raise ($65K --> $80K), while the tenured employees are probably fighting over 2-3% annual COLAs. If they asked for the $15K raise, they'd probably get laughed at.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:03:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
you technically can't fire someone asking for a raise, even if it's stupid. 

even at employ at will states, HR still needs documentation and all that shit for fear of a lawsuit.

and he probably had another job lined up already.
View Quote
Wrong.  In at-will states all you need to do is say "You are fired".  In fact, that is all you should say.
Your company's policy might be different, but that is not required by law.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:03:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, you have the market average for your job in a given location and you have your place compared to that
average based on your experience, qualifications and performance....

If he found that you were paying him below where he rated then he was right to ask for a raise and I can
only assume that he left for a company that would pay him closer to what the market would support.

Or

He is an entitled idiot who left a good paying job because his boss wouldn't agree to pay him well above
market value and now he is spending his days playing his x-box in his mom's basement...

It could really go either way
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:04:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Right to work or not, be prepared for a wrongful termination lawsuit. As you stated, they were good at their job.
View Quote
You are confusing Right to work (Can't be forced to join a Union) and At-will (fire your ass at-will.  No reasons needed).
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:06:00 PM EDT
[#12]
In today's world 5 years is a long time to stay in the same role. I don't think that is a millennial thing (but heck I'm a millennial so I could be wrong). He probably had another job offer for $75, but liked his current one and would have rather stayed. I had a conversation with my boss just last week who flat out said the only person who is looking out for your career is you. You offer a company a service at a certain price, but your service is only worth so much to the company. You can always be replaced. Based on what I know about my company he was in no way hinting that my job was on the line, just being realistic.  It is smart to know what you are worth outside of your current company. All that said If he left without a new job lined up he was stupid.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:07:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I began my career in IT during the late 90s, working for mostly smaller companies (though some were large enough to be publically traded).  Many had archaic HR policies (I worked in the financial/healthcare/insurance industries) which prevented a person from getting a raise of more than 10% their current salary; regardless of what the industry would support.  It was quite common to see people jump ship 18-24 months in seek of a promotion (title/opportunity/salary) because it was one of the most effect ways to get advance.

But as a person advances, they will reach a point whereby the time in a job can become a point of concern.  If I'm trying to hire a lead/architect/sr mgr/director/etc, I want someone who I believe will stick around to see the job through.  There is a balance to achieve, depending on what stage of a career a person is in.

I don't begrudge anyone who is able to better themselves elsewhere.  But it's inane to think you can demand a comp increase unless you can also demonstrate the impact you're having.  Even if you can make more somewhere else, that doesn't mean the current company is able to derive the same value from the same position.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:07:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm willing to bet the market rate was $75k for him somewhere else (ie he had another offer) and was giving you the chance to match because he thought that was the right thing to do.  But could be wrong
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:08:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Ok, so lets say I can make $100k doing what I'm doing but I want to work at Taco Bell. If I act all butt hurt because Taco Bell wont pay me $100k to take drive through orders, who's crazy?

Loyalty goes both ways and if most of that guy's job can be automated, per OP, then 57k was way the fuck overpaid.
View Quote
Who said they were butthurt.  I'd quit my job right now and work for taco bell if I could make 100k.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:08:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Millennial checking in here I think? Aged 22, I've been at my current job for 5 years. We've gone through a ton of people since I've been there. Had 2 kids younger than me quit, one of which was caused because he got asked to sweep the floor.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:10:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Or maybe they see that their wages give them less buying power than what their parents had.
View Quote
How is that relevant vis a vie the value the role provides to the company versus the compensation for said role?
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:11:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Millennial checking in here. I've been at my current job for 5 years. We've gone through a ton of people since I've been there. Had 2 kids younger than me quit, one of which was caused because he got asked to sweep the floor.
View Quote
I'll sweep floors all day long if the pay is good.  Hell, I'm just getting done with lunch. I'm gonna go show some initiative and dust mop the station.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:13:06 PM EDT
[#19]
But OP they were entitled to that money 
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:13:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It was quite common to see people jump ship 18-24 months in seek of a promotion (title/opportunity/salary) because it was one of the most effect ways to get advance.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
It was quite common to see people jump ship 18-24 months in seek of a promotion (title/opportunity/salary) because it was one of the most effect ways to get advance.
I have seen a number of times here on ARfcom in which people mention that in their industry today, the only way to get a meaningful raise is to find a new employer who will hire you on at the new pay you want -- but don't expect regular raises after that.  So, the cycle perpetuates itself.

But as a person advances, they will reach a point whereby the time in a job can become a point of concern.  If I'm trying to hire a lead/architect/sr mgr/director/etc, I want someone who I believe will stick around to see the job through.  There is a balance to achieve, depending on what stage of a career a person is in.
Which will be interesting in light of what I mentioned above -- with people jumping ship every 1.5 to 2-3 years to get a promotion and raise, a larger percentage of the pool of employees out there will have resumes filled with job-hopping.  How will the employment market adjust?  I don't know.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:15:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

even at employ at will states, HR still needs documentation and all that shit for fear of a lawsuit.

View Quote
LOL depending on the state you can fire someone without even needing a reason. 
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:15:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'll sweep floors all day long if the pay is good.  Hell, I'm just getting done with lunch. I'm gonna go show some initiative and dust mop the station.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Millennial checking in here. I've been at my current job for 5 years. We've gone through a ton of people since I've been there. Had 2 kids younger than me quit, one of which was caused because he got asked to sweep the floor.
I knew a guy who got hired to do a job for over $25/hour in the 1980s (which was damn good money for an entry-level blue-collar guy back then).  In his first week, they handed him a broom and told him to sweep the floors.  He did it quite well with no complaints.  When they later asked why he didn't bitch, he said: "Hell, for $25/hour, I'll sweep all damn day!"
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:16:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

i get plenty of those too.  I plan to automate most of their duties over the course of the next 2 years.
View Quote
Lol
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:16:51 PM EDT
[#24]
I was thinking this would be a post about some punk who was too good to do some job he was being paid for or something.

What you describe is nothing new, and nothing especially attributable to millenials.  It's called negotiation, and especially if he had another job lined up then good for him.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:17:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

LOL.  And what do you do for a living money bags?
View Quote
Logistics coordinator for industrial construction
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:18:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
...and an attorney to end getting paid far more than what was asked of OP.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:19:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Ok, so lets say I can make $100k doing what I'm doing but I want to work at Taco Bell. If I act all butt hurt because Taco Bell wont pay me $100k to take drive through orders, who's crazy?

Loyalty goes both ways and if most of that guy's job can be automated, per OP, then 57k was way the fuck overpaid.
View Quote
Or maybe OP is full of shit
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:19:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Sounds like you're bummed that you lost a good employee. I'm gonna assume there wasn't a job that you had for them that could've paid what they were asking, or you would've given it to them. I suspect that they'll be back. Good on you for not giving the raise. You can hire capable software developers that can make CSRs more efficient or obsolete for that kind of money.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:20:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I was thinking this would be a post about some punk who was too good to do some job he was being paid for or something.

What you describe is nothing new, and nothing especially attributable to millenials.  It's called negotiation, and especially if he had another job lined up then good for him.
View Quote
"I demand an $18K raise for no justifiable reason, or I walk!" is a shitty negotiation strategy.  Unless for some reason you're trying to get fired instead of simply resigning.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:20:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'm a millennial and I wouldn't get out of bed for 75k.
View Quote
A year or a month? Big difference.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:22:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

A year or a month? Big difference.
View Quote
A month, I'll do whatever the hell you want me to. I mean anything....
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:22:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Maybe it's because I'm in that weird no-man's land between Gen-X and Z (or millennial, or whatever), but this doesn't sound crazy to me. It sounds like they already had another gig lined up, and figured they'd do you the favor of letting you match the salary. You didn't, they split, you're both happy. 

View Quote
Same here 32, turning 33.

Sounds fine to me. Give the current place a chance to match the other offer and if they don't later sk8ter.

This is due to companies getting rid of pensions. Because there is not pension, there is no reason to put in the years of service. That's a down fall of trying to be cheap and cut costs.

Where my pops works they still offer pensions to new hires. Guess what, people stay there for the long haul and people are begging to get hired.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:22:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
OP merchandises Freedom... can't put a price on that!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
57K seems high for a customer service rep.  I guess that depends on cost of living where you are and what industry.
OP merchandises Freedom... can't put a price on that!
Apparently the OP can ....... No raise for you or you...maybe you but not you.....
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:23:51 PM EDT
[#34]
The dude had an offer somewhere else. What's the big deal?
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:24:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Wrong.  

20+ years of litigation in this area in an at will state says you are absolutely wrong.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:29:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
it's funny--i've noticed that here in GD, the employment loyalty imperative only seems to go one way, with the guy in the low role having to display a kind of loyalty that is not required of the person/institution in the superior role.  i first noticed this during the housing crash.  someone posted a thread on "strategic foreclosure", when people simply defaulted on their home loans as a personal business decision, without accepting any personal shame for violating the "pay your debts" maxim.  someone pointed out that this is exactly how firms do business, which made me rethink my initial judgment.

in the same way, people seem to think that the employee owes loyalty on top of services, while the employer owes nothing more than payment for services rendered.  but that's wrong--the employee is just as much a business entity as the employer, and is free to make decisions based on pure self-interest.  if an employer decided that the employee wasn't doing enough, the employee would get fired.  so it makes sense for the employee to be able to fire the employer also.  it's just good business.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:29:45 PM EDT
[#37]
What is this CRS due?  Is it B to B sales.   My CSRs are worth their wait in gold and are paid much more then 57k.    But we are dealing with 6 or 7 figure POs.  

Paul
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:29:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Millennial checking in.

I asked for a 150% raise and it was granted.

I know what I'm worth though, so yeah
View Quote
#fightfor$15
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:30:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

He told the manager that since he had a wife and kid on the way, he needed more money in order to keep his job.  He wanted more money than anyone else in his section was getting paid at the time.  .
View Quote
Yep, I had a 30ish female whose husband quit his job to start his own graphic design business.  They'd just purchased two new vehicles and found out they were expecting, so she comes in with the "I have to have a raise"

I told her that's not what raises were based on or we would all be making more money.

She asked for additional work, and I told her that if we had work that NEEDED to be done, then it would have already been assigned to someone.

She quit.  Then she reapplied for her old job when we posted it.  We hired someone else who had more education and experience, and lacked a sense of entitlement.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:30:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
"I demand an $18K raise for no justifiable reason, or I walk!" is a shitty negotiation strategy.  Unless for some reason you're trying to get fired instead of simply resigning.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except that's not what the OP posted.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:31:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The dude had an offer somewhere else. What's the big deal?
View Quote
Let's compare and contrast two negotiation styles:

Style A is some company/industry-specific variation upon: "Boss, I've been thinking about my role here.. (nice things about the company here)... And the value I bring to the company (nice things about self here)... but I've been recruited by another company who is offering $75K.  That pay is in line with what I'm worth.  But I like it here.  I'd like to stay here.  Is it possible to restructure my compensation so I can stay here?"

Style B is "Boss, you don't pay me enough.  Everyone else around town pays $75k.  I should make that too.  I demand a raise to $75k!"

Which approach do you think is more likely to get you a raise (outside of NYC, of course)?  

Which is more likely to get you fired, regardless of how good a job you do or whether you've earned a raise?

As a former business owner, let me assure you:  You come to me with Style B, and no matter how good an employee you are you just put your continued employment with me on very thin ice.  Everyone is replaceable, it's just a matter of how much pain I am willing to accept by losing them.  If the pain of keeping you is greater than the pain of losing you, then I will replace you.  It's that simple.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:31:39 PM EDT
[#42]
57k a year sucks. I'd ask for a raise too.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:33:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
that was the exact conversation.  "I want $75k or I'm quitting".
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:33:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

From the op:

Came to me last week demanding $75,000 salary.
 OP pays $57k, employee demanded $75k, unless my calculator is busted that is an $18K difference.

ETA:  And OP confirms above it was "$75k or I walk."
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:33:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP already said he regarded him as overpaid, if the employee was aware of this then there is not much reason trying to bend his arm when opportunity appears.  Especially is OP didn't offer any kind of counter.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:35:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

That was my assumption too.
View Quote
Then why'd you say he's without a job? 
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:37:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
OP already said he regarded him as overpaid, if the employee was aware of this then there is not much reason trying to bend his arm when opportunity appears.  Especially is OP didn't offer any kind of counter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

so what is your point?  and where did OP say he had affirmatively told employee prior to the raise demand that OP believed employee was already overpaid?  

Because if you know your boss thinks  you are overpaid, and you demand a raise anyway, either you WANT to get fired for some odd reason (like not repaying a hiring bonus, but from now on you have to tell future prospective employers "I have been terminated from employment at a previous job" which never looks good) or you get paid in coloring books and crayons.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:38:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's kinda what I was thinking. I was waiting for the punchline.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:39:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Fpni.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:41:46 PM EDT
[#50]
What's more fun is managers who continually get raises and bonuses while doing fuck all and then balk when employees ask for raises.

Millennial or not, piss poor managers can ruin a business faster than a shitty employee can.

Walking in and swinging for the fence is never a good attack plan unless you hold all the cards or are instrumental in a corporate structure.

10% raise is more of a reasonable goal if you're just looking to see how the wind blows.
Page / 6
Top Top