Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:45:04 PM EDT
[#1]
57K included a bonus and overtime? So actual pay rate is probably less than $50K. Nope, i wouldn't do that either.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:45:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm a millennial and I wouldn't get out of bed for 75k.
View Quote
what do you do for a living?
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:46:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Customer Service Rep
5 years working for the company
Good at their job, liked by customers.

Came to me last week demanding $75,000 salary.  This person made $57k last year in wages, overtime and bonus, not including 401k match and profit sharing.

Unfortunately for this millennial, I already thought the position was WAY overpaid and this person is now without a job.  *edit to clarify the person resigned because they did not receive the raise*

WTF is wrong with these kids???
View Quote

That is a very good top teir wage for customer service rep.

Most phone type positions start in the $11-13hr range.

If at a call center, that is more like manager wage
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:48:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I think there is some truth in your post.  I also think that many millennials have the game figured out.  In my experience, they have no loyalty and have no problem jumping ship every 12 to 18 months for small pay increases.  Based on my observations, it no longer appears that instability in a resume is a red flag.  It used to be employees would stick around for a long time.  Now, not so much.  
View Quote
Pensions went away. The were the motivation to stay with one employer 30-years. switching to the transferrable 401K eliminated incentives to retention.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:48:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Logistics coordinator for industrial construction
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL.  And what do you do for a living money bags?
Logistics coordinator for industrial construction
http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Logistics_Coordinator/Salary

https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/logistics-coordinator-salary-SRCH_KO0,21_SDAS.htm

$75,000 is way above average in your field for the nation...

So good for you for getting a shit ton of money in your field.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:49:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

that was the exact conversation.  "I want $75k or I'm quitting".
View Quote
So you had an honest employee that did what he says he will do and has been there for 5 years?

Going to be hard to replace that, especially if another employer is willing to pay more for the same or similar position, which kind sets market rate and means you are underpaying.

Since you considered the person overpaid as is already, the person has no expandable future with your employment.

Sounds like if you have more employees and the other companies are hiring, you might have to reevaluate their compensation.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:49:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

that was the exact conversation.  "I want $75k or I'm quitting".
View Quote
Either his communication skills suck or he already had one foot out the door and you didn't know it.

You might want to do a checkup with others in his department, they maybe all smiles on the outside waiting for their own chance to make a break.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:50:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Need a replacement soon?

I can start today with $75k plus bennies....!!!

Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:50:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He is working in Egypt.

I cut trees for a living and am feeling the same way these days.

Side note - I love the old folks here that equate todays economy to that of 20 years ago, you're clueless.  I have walked into jobs and demanded 20% more than what they were offering because they needed people like me more than I needed them.  Now OP will spend the next few years hiring and firing people trying to find a good replacement, meanwhile the good employee is getting the commensurate pay he probably deserves.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:51:01 PM EDT
[#10]
If it is 57/year that is Manager level pay at many offices.

But yes, most workers in the 22-32 yr range suck these days.  And you can't 'correct' them on anything without them going into a full defensive meltdown.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:51:15 PM EDT
[#11]
How has this not been posted?

Millennials in the Workplace Training Video
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:53:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You wasted post 1776.
View Quote
Maybe not.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:55:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
57k a year sucks. I'd ask for a raise too.
View Quote
57k a year is more than fair for a typical customer service position.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:56:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Since you don't appear to live anywhere, and you didn't state the industry, I cannot make a judgement on how much $75k really is.
View Quote

I don't care where you live.  Expecting a ~35% raise to stay in the same position isn't going to fly anywhere unless you sold a metric shit ton of ice to Eskimos.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:58:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

He is working in Egypt.

Side note - I love the old folks here that equate todays economy to that of 20 years ago, you're clueless. I have walked into jobs and demanded 20% more than what they were offering because they needed people like me more than I needed them.  Now OP will spend the next few years hiring and firing people trying to find a good replacement, meanwhile the good employee is getting the commensurate pay he probably deserves.
View Quote
Only 38 here and I think you're clueless . Have a usable education/skill set and the economy today is grand.

To many want everything for nothing. 
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:58:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Logistics_Coordinator/Salary

https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/logistics-coordinator-salary-SRCH_KO0,21_SDAS.htm

$75,000 is way above average in your field for the nation...

So good for you for getting a shit ton of money in your field.
View Quote
Those are the ones that stay home. The 15%-20% hazard, 10% overseas and daily per diem plus 20 hours of overtime a week make for a comfortable living.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:58:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I don't do ultimatums.  If an employee asks for a raise, that is fine. If they say they have to have a raise or they are leaving, then I say goodbye.  Simple as that.  I don't "fire" them.  I tell them no to the raise and they have to hold up their end of the deal.  They quit.  We had one that did that crap with our old manager shortly after he got married and got his wife pregnant.  

He told the manager that since he had a wife and kid on the way, he needed more money in order to keep his job.  He wanted more money than anyone else in his section was getting paid at the time.  The manager at the time gave him the raise.  I would not have given him the raise.  Many of the other employees were married with kids and they were making it just fine.  And, I didn't make him get married or have a kid.  He had the fun in making the kid, he has to deal with the consequences of that fun.  If he couldn't afford the kid at his current level of pay, then he should have bought a 75 cent condom or abstained or pulled out.

In other words, I don't listen to ultimatums and I don't fall for sob stories involving kids.  Now illnesses with family and kids are different, but saying you deserve more money because you had sex doesn't jive with me.  jmho.
View Quote
I've been in some tough spots financially in the past, but I've never gone to my boss and asked for more money because I didn't have enough money. I don't ask for a raise unless I believe that I'm worth more than I'm being paid and am very confident that I would be able to command what I'm asking for if I were looking for work.

Pay is not and should never be based on need.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:59:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
He is working in Egypt.

Side note - I love the old folks here that equate todays economy to that of 20 years ago, you're clueless.  I have walked into jobs and demanded 20% more than what they were offering because they needed people like me more than I needed them.  Now OP will spend the next few years hiring and firing people trying to find a good replacement, meanwhile the good employee is getting the commensurate pay he probably deserves.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
He is working in Egypt.

If serious, that makes more sense, seeing as how the average pay for "logistics coordinators" is well south of 75k.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:59:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Those are the ones that stay home. The 15%-20% hazard, 10% overseas and daily per diem plus 20 hours of overtime a week make for a comfortable living.
View Quote
Damn that sounds like a shitty life, you deserve the extra. 
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:02:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

it's funny--i've noticed that here in GD, the employment loyalty imperative only seems to go one way, with the guy in the low role having to display a kind of loyalty that is not required of the person/institution in the superior role.  i first noticed this during the housing crash.  someone posted a thread on "strategic foreclosure", when people simply defaulted on their home loans as a personal business decision, without accepting any personal shame for violating the "pay your debts" maxim.  someone pointed out that this is exactly how firms do business, which made me rethink my initial judgment.

in the same way, people seem to think that the employee owes loyalty on top of services, while the employer owes nothing more than payment for services rendered.  but that's wrong--the employee is just as much a business entity as the employer, and is free to make decisions based on pure self-interest.  if an employer decided that the employee wasn't doing enough, the employee would get fired.  so it makes sense for the employee to be able to fire the employer also.  it's just good business.
View Quote
+1. That about covers it. 
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:04:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Yeah, that's a millennial problem

Don't get me fucking started on baby boomers and their overpaid lazy asses doing next to nothing, and doing it incompetently, while demanding outrageous sums of money, and who go so far as to join fascist organizations like labor unions that team up with democrats to ensure all their lazy shithead drones make tons of cash
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:05:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Damn that sounds like a shitty life, you deserve the extra. 
View Quote
There's a reason I said I wouldn't get out of bed for 75. It wouldn't be worth it. I'll keep this up a few more years and then hopefully the wife will be done with her computer engineering masters, then find something lower stress and probably a big pay cut.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:05:37 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm a "Millennial" and I just got a new job making what I expect is a decent wage, but making way less than the guy in OP, and I have experience in the industry.

Time to get a mask and join these douchebags in the street.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:06:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Sounds like anybody normal. You wouldnt pay them what they wanted so they left.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:09:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

If serious, that makes more sense, seeing as how the average pay for "logistics coordinators" is well south of 75k.
View Quote
Thread I'm heading to Kuwait for a few months after this one is over.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:11:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Don't get me fucking started on baby boomers and their overpaid lazy asses doing next to nothing, and doing it incompetently, while demanding outrageous sums of money, and who go so far as to join fascist organizations like labor unions that team up with democrats to ensure all their lazy shithead drones make tons of cash
View Quote
I'm not a boomer but your posts has a lot of butt hurt. 

What are you doing to make yourself worth more so you can achieve what you want? Don't focus on others (boomers, gen x, etc). Focus on you. 
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:11:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
effing THIS ^

Yeah, fuck millennials for putting time into a job for 5 years, getting the feeling from a boss that there isn't any remaining upward mobility, finding a better job with higher pay, giving their current employer a chance to match compensation and maybe add some responsibility, then telling their self-righteous asshole of a boss that they're out of there.

Yeah, fuck millennials
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:11:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Millennials work outside of the fast food industry?  That surprises me.

The ones I see generally finger their phones all day and feel entitled to take long breaks and whine about stupid crap (like someone made them feel like blah blah blah.)  I have run into no Millennial engineers or scientists - its largely to hard for them (not enough trophy's for failing in it) .  A generation brought up believing 100% in political correctness, everyone is a winner and gets a trophy,  and social media - worthless.  

I don't like lazy as a rule and that group takes the prize.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:15:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The ones I see generally finger their phones all day and feel entitled to take long breaks and whine about stupid crap (like someone made them feel like blah blah blah.)  I have run into no Millennial engineers or scientists - its largely to hard for them (not enough trophy's for failing in it) .  A generation brought up believing 100% in political correctness, everyone is a winner and gets a trophy,  and social media - worthless.  

View Quote
I have an art degree and I dont flip burgers

Where's my trophy?
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:15:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'm a "Millennial" and I just got a new job making what I expect is a decent wage, but making way less than the guy in OP, and I have experience in the industry.

Time to get a mask and join these douchebags in the street.
View Quote
That is a "Millennial" attitude.  Gen X in your situation would say, "Hey look, OP is hiring! I should PM him to apply!"
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:16:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Where's my trophy?
View Quote
Fry cooks don't get trophies.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:16:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Millennial checking in.

I asked for a 150% raise and it was granted.

I know what I'm worth though, so yeah
View Quote
It seem only a millennial would use the term "so, yeah".

Very condescending and arrogant.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:18:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where's my trophy?
Dang
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:18:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
and what is your education, skill set, and current income
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:18:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Where's my trophy?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where's my trophy?
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:19:40 PM EDT
[#36]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where's my trophy?
http://i.imgur.com/iE0AKSW.jpg
I love you guys
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:20:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
"I demand an $18K raise for no justifiable reason, or I walk!" is a shitty negotiation strategy.  Unless for some reason you're trying to get fired instead of simply resigning.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was thinking this would be a post about some punk who was too good to do some job he was being paid for or something.

What you describe is nothing new, and nothing especially attributable to millenials.  It's called negotiation, and especially if he had another job lined up then good for him.
"I demand an $18K raise for no justifiable reason, or I walk!" is a shitty negotiation strategy.  Unless for some reason you're trying to get fired instead of simply resigning.
Unless, again, he already had another job lined up.

Say I work for $57k.  I get an offer for $65k, better benefits, and maybe less of a drive I plan to take.

Just for the hell of it, I might decide I'll stay for $75k and float the idea before my manager.  Win-win for me.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:22:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Customer Service Rep
5 years working for the company
Good at their job, liked by customers.

Came to me last week demanding $75,000 salary.  This person made $57k last year in wages, overtime and bonus, not including 401k match and profit sharing.

Unfortunately for this millennial, I already thought the position was WAY overpaid and this person is now without a job.  *edit to clarify the person resigned because they did not receive the raise*

WTF is wrong with these kids???
View Quote

Who cares what you "thought"
Could they get $75,000 with your competitor plus 401k etc?
If so, they may have approached it wrong, got their offer declined and went to your competitor, and will steal the clients that like him

Or not
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:22:44 PM EDT
[#39]
This millenial won't even get out of bed for 75k salary.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:23:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

It seems only a millennial would use the term "so, yeah".

Very condescending and arrogant.(fragment)
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:23:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
you could have just said no OP
View Quote
He did say no. 
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:23:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Say I work for $57k.  I get an offer for $65k, better benefits, and maybe less of a drive I plan to take.

Just for the hell of it, I might decide I'll stay for $75k and float the idea before my manager.  Win-win for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was thinking this would be a post about some punk who was too good to do some job he was being paid for or something.

What you describe is nothing new, and nothing especially attributable to millenials.  It's called negotiation, and especially if he had another job lined up then good for him.

that is not what happened.  RIF.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:27:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
This millenial won't even get out of bed for 75k salary.
View Quote
Another one.  Are you going to justify this comment with an inflated overseas salary as well?
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:31:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Another one.  Are you going to justify this comment with an inflated overseas salary as well?
View Quote
Are you not willing to live in rough conditions for a few years to inflate your earning power?  That's on you man.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:33:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Who cares what you "thought"
Could they get $75,000 with your competitor plus 401k etc?
If so, they may have approached it wrong, got their offer declined and went to your competitor, and will steal the clients that like him

Or not
View Quote
I'm not gonna ask OP on a public forum whether this employee is subject to legally-binding non-compete, non-solicitation, and/or non-disclosure agreements.

But The "fuck my old employer, I'll just steal his clients!" Gambit doesn't always work out the way people think it will.

Something to consider.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:35:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Are you not willing to live in rough conditions for a few years to inflate your earning power?  That's on you man.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spent plenty of time in the middle east working for Uncle Sam, no thanks.  I only make mid 70s but I sleep in my own bed next to my sexy wife nearly every night.  When I do work out of town, I'm still just a couple hour drive from home.  The experience I get here will be no different than what I would receive overseas, so no, I'm not willing to be away from home for an extended period of time for some more money.  It if works for you that's great but it's not for me.

And let's be real, you were trying to show off and your income situation is anything but typical for your field.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:36:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I'm not gonna ask OP on a public forum whether this employee is subject to legally-binding non-compete, non-solicitation, and/or non-disclosure agreements.

But The "fuck my old employer, I'll just steal his clients!" Gambit doesn't always work out the way people think it will.

Something to consider.
View Quote
It doesn't, but non competes have been getting beat up by the courts all over the country. We just lost one against a former employee, but won the suit against the former client that hired him.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:38:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
Some of us are working and don't have no time fo da grammar police.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:40:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
It doesn't, but non competes have been getting beat up by the courts all over the country. We just lost one against a former employee, but won the suit against the former client that hired him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Something to consider.
RIF

"LEGALLY-BINDING....."

A correctly-drafted non-compete/non-solicitation/non-disclosure agreement that comports with that state's statutes and case law will be upheld.  And that requires business owners to spend some $$$ on an attorney who does that type of work as his bread-and-butter, not their DUI guy.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:43:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Spent plenty of time in the middle east working for Uncle Sam, no thanks.  I only make mid 70s but I sleep in my own bed next to my sexy wife nearly every night.  When I do work out of town, I'm still just a couple hour drive from home.  The experience I get here will be no different than what I would receive overseas, so no, I'm not willing to be away from home for an extended period of time for some more money.  It if works for you that's great but it's not for me.

And let's be real, you were trying to show off and your income situation is anything but typical for your field.
View Quote
No, I was showing that this assumption the millennial worker needed him was bold and stupid. There are plenty of us working hard and making good money.
Beyond that those reference charts aren't great because different industries call things different things. In some industries I would be called an account manager, in other a data analyst, and some others a material manager, or solutions engineer. My actual job is standing up RFID tracking systems for high value items and establishing the physical hardware (gate readers, scanners, vehicle mounted readers) then monitoring the data over months to calculate cost savings analysis, and continuing support needs. Not a lot of "logistics coordinators" do anything like this. There aren't a lot of people than can do my job and I'm compensated as such.
The whole point of this is that OP thinks he's superior to the guy that worked hard for him for 5 years because of age, and to that I say OP is mistaken.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top