Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 7:29:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here's a link to the recipe.  https://imgur.com/gallery/J5MxAuj
View Quote

I would think one these would be so much easier and probably much better tasting.

I used to use both packages of dough mix to make one pizza in a cast iron skillet. It had a thick soft crust, more like a pan pizza. I loved the yeasty flavor of the crust.

Link Posted: 3/31/2021 8:21:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn good high school memories.
Next to halter tops, tube tops, jeans so tight you could read the label on her underwear, beer, and weed that didn't turn you into a zombie.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 9:09:50 PM EDT
[#3]
That's probably still a thing in school cafeterias.  My university dining hall had it, I graduated 2010.  I really, really liked it.  There was a brand of frozen pizza that tasted very similar called Sasquatch (it was also enormous and cost like $5), but they have been gone for a long time now.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 9:14:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Cold on the edges.. the center burned the roof of your mouth.....

I’d use my $0.75 on Linden’s Chocolate Chip Cookies!

Fucking Marlboros were $0.79 a pack!!! A guy’s gotta live fer chrissakes!
View Quote

And only a few kids were fat
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 10:06:03 PM EDT
[#5]
one of my favorites!! The other was the taco boat thingy every other Thursday.

Link Posted: 3/31/2021 10:07:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I went to grade school in Illinois. The cafeteria had a pizza with holes on the underside of the crust. I remember this distinctly. I was in 1st grade. They also used to give out cheese slices to the poor kids that didn’t have lunch tickets. That cheese was good. Probably from the government.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 10:07:46 PM EDT
[#7]
ours looked so bad I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole when I was a kid, probably added ten years to my life.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 10:10:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Where?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can buy it still and have it shipped to your house.

Where?

You don't know your address?
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 10:10:23 PM EDT
[#9]
that was nasty shit, the cheese tasted weird and it crust seemed like it was steamed.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 10:32:18 PM EDT
[#10]
For some reason the hamburgers that they made were good as well.

I used to dip them in a ranch catsup mix, and they were pretty darned good.

Now both the pizza and burgers would be nasty.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 10:32:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Anyone from the 80s/90s remember "Panda Bars"?

They were a chocolate Popsicle with a white chocolate hard coating.

I remember them always being a treat.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 10:35:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Roof shingle pizza.   The best pizza there ever was.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 10:52:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
For some reason the hamburgers that they made were good as well.

I used to dip them in a ranch catsup mix, and they were pretty darned good.

Now both the pizza and burgers would be nasty.
View Quote

That’s because they started reducing the fat content.

The USDA of the 70s and early 80s was all about getting nutrition fortified calories into kids. Iron to prevent anemia, calcium for strong bones, and fat, glorious fat, for energy. They had just started hard lining the food pyramid.

The pizza was simply a pourable yeast dough fortified with dried milk and par baked on a piece of parchment paper. Most copycat recipes have too much crust.

The sauce was tomato spiced with “typical” Italian spices, then mixed with browned ground beef and “ground luncheon meat” (you can decide on this one. I think in my cafeteria it was bologna), and onion. The meat is a 2-1 ratio. Meat is another area where the copy cat recipes use too much.

The cheese was shredded low moisture mozzarella. (Government cheddar blended in came later). I always thought of school pizza as a cheese delivery device.

Cook it until the top browns. Then let it stand in a warmer for a bit.

The burgers, like the grilled cheese of the day had a lot of butter involved.

They weren’t afraid of salt either.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 11:25:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I got suspended over school pizza. I was in the fourth grade at the time. Friday was pizza day. I decided to buy two lunch tickets in the cafeteria that morning. Lunch rolls around and I ask for my two lunches. Same ol' bat that sold me the tickets, refused to give me another pizza lunch. Initially she said not everyone would get a piece if she gave me two, but I was one of the last people in the line. There was plenty left. They were just gong to dry to shit out of it by reheating it, and try serve it up on Monday. I pointed that out, and she offered to sell me a slice for another dollar. The tickets themselves were 75 cents. I didn't like the idea. She gives me a peanut butter sandwich that they usually give to the kids that lost their lunch ticket, or aren't even on free lunch, for the other ticket. I hucked the sandwich at her head and went to eat my pizza. Right when I sit down, Miss Shefsky yokes me up by my arm. That bitch was cafeteria monitor for the day.

It sucked that I didn't even get to eat one of the lunches. However, I got to stay at home for a week.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 11:43:18 PM EDT
[#15]
My school did pizza on garlic bread crusts, screw that soggy nonsense.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 10:15:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I got suspended over school pizza. I was in the fourth grade at the time. Friday was pizza day. I decided to buy two lunch tickets in the cafeteria that morning. Lunch rolls around and I ask for my two lunches. Same ol' bat that sold me the tickets, refused to give me another pizza lunch. Initially she said not everyone would get a piece if she gave me two, but I was one of the last people in the line. There was plenty left. They were just gong to dry to shit out of it by reheating it, and try serve it up on Monday. I pointed that out, and she offered to sell me a slice for another dollar. The tickets themselves were 75 cents. I didn't like the idea. She gives me a peanut butter sandwich that they usually give to the kids that lost their lunch ticket, or aren't even on free lunch, for the other ticket. I hucked the sandwich at her head and went to eat my pizza. Right when I sit down, Miss Shefsky yokes me up by my arm. That bitch was cafeteria monitor for the day.

It sucked that I didn't even get to eat one of the lunches. However, I got to stay at home for a week.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 10:17:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The only time I have had pizza and ketchup was square school pizza. Even the pepperonis were square.
View Quote

Yep, pizza and ketchup, I remember it well.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 10:17:55 AM EDT
[#18]
We would drown it in thousand island.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 10:35:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I remember it well.

It was a super rare treat at our school!

We got it like 3 times a year.

I'm envious of all you folks that were served square pizza at least once a week!
View Quote

We got it every friday, with chocolate cake, pears, and a "salad". The salad was just lettuce with some shredded carrots and radishes.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 10:36:09 AM EDT
[#20]
I loved the stuff
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 10:36:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Nardone brothers in wilkes barre pa was the manufacturer for most of the united states.  You can order it directly from them.  They also sell it in local grocery stores.
View Quote

Yup. I can get that stuff at one of my local supermarkets. I think i'll grab some tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 10:39:40 PM EDT
[#22]
That crap always made me look forward to fish stick day.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 6:50:47 PM EDT
[#23]
I ran this one to ground a long time ago.

I too have searched for those amazing things. They do not exist any more.

They were first made to a USDA recipe.
Then, jobbers started making and selling them to schools and other places like jails.

Then, michelle obama came and said that this is how school lunches has to be, and they substituted a wheat crust, and textured vegetable proteins for the meat, and I don't know what happened to the cheese. Doesn't even look the same.

If you cannot tilt the slice and watch orangey yellow grease run off of it in rivulets, you are not eating the nectar from my late 70's childhood.

Here is the actual recipe:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

(concludes next post - I ran out of jpg data limits)
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 6:53:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I have not made this yet, because honestly, I feel like if you halve or quarter the recipe, I am betting it still won't taste right. One day I will see my beloved pizza again, but until then, I have the instructions, and my fond memories.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 7:01:41 PM EDT
[#25]
I hated it! But it was better than the peanut butter sammich they served on occasion. Corn Dogs,milk, and a choc chip cookie were where it was at!
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 7:12:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Didn't care for school pizza in the 70's and 80's. Too greasy. Of course went to a school that had shrimp creole one day a week.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 8:17:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Yep.  I've never looked so forward to something so terrible in my life.
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 3:16:18 AM EDT
[#28]
My absolute favorite were the hot dogs with cheese, wrapped in a slice of bread and toasted in the oven until the tips of the bread were crispy. I could eat those all day long.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 4:19:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Apparently if it's good enough for prison inmates, it was good enough for us. We always thought it was good, but looking back it was just another form of government mandated slop.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 4:34:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Also in the late 90s. I loved it. My friend of mine also showed me to eat it with ranch dressing.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 5:24:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
It changed?

Our pizza looked like that for my entire school career, I graduated in 2013

Flavors were Pepperoni, cheese, and sausage. IIRC I think there was a breakfast pizza as well.
View Quote

Hold up.  You had different flavors?  All i remember is cheese in the 90s.

Dipping in ranch was common.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 11:07:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Early 80's?

I was born in 83, and we had that same shitty awesome-ass pizza until I graduated high school in 2001.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 11:22:06 AM EDT
[#33]
It's always been a thing here, even outside of school. Sheet pizza/Sicilian style pizza has always been pretty popular around these parts. If you're at any sort of gathering with more than 5 people, and the host doesn't like cooking, chances are there will be sheet pizzas on a table or counter top somewhere.

If it's a kid's birthday, the chances go up to 100%.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 11:26:50 AM EDT
[#34]
We had that pizza and we had chalupas. Both those were the bomb to my uneducated palate back then.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 11:57:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Pasta dish called "johnny marzetti" only had it in school, never seen it elsewhere.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 12:19:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Pasta dish called "johnny marzetti" only had it in school, never seen it elsewhere.
View Quote

I remember that one. Came with a roll and green beans.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 9:44:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Welp, if your going to do it, may as well get some from one of the biggest companies that supply schools with these delicious slabs of terrible yeasty goodness.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 10:03:29 PM EDT
[#38]
God I hated that shit.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 3:53:00 AM EDT
[#39]
As others have said, it was better than the other shit they served. At the Police Academy they served chicken fried steak shaped like the state of Texas. Sadly it sucked.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 3:56:24 AM EDT
[#40]
I’m a 90s baby. We had that and bagel pizza.
Shit was bomb
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 4:03:59 AM EDT
[#41]
We had shingle pizza. They also served ham and cheddar Stromboli sandwiches which were the best thing on the menu.

We had a decent salad bar in high school. Stromboli or pizza and a salad. Good stuff.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 4:32:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
One of the old school lunch ladies posted the recipe a while back. It was pretty simple
View Quote

dont believe you unless you post pictures of the school lunch lady. asking for a friend.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top