Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 11:26:47 AM EDT
[#1]
If he can solve the Berenstein anomaly then I'll upgrade him to Credible.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 11:28:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well op you've opened up another new can of worms for sure. For most of the atheist that will reply, there is nothing that will change them. Sad but true. They will rebuttal with misguided ignorance, avoid answers, and dance around everything thrown at them.  They will ignore a large number of scientist that believe there is a God, like we even need scientist to prove it...
View Quote

You can really prove there is a God? Please, please do so.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 11:31:35 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
He is a legit scientist. You cannot downplay that, but he never said his theory is proof of god though. Op lied about/misrepresented the content of his finding in the thread title. Take your pick of which.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL, no.

Michio Kaku is about as "scientific" as that big-haired guy on Ancient Aliens.  He is on pretty much every alien and UFO show out there because he's one of the few people with a catchy title like "physicist" that will actually talk about a bunch of conspiratorial nonsense.  Nearly everything that comes out of his mouth is just a hare-brained "what if..."

You wonder why people ridicule all of the "evidence" religious folks try to use to "prove" there's a God... it's because you point to "scientists" like this guy.

He is a legit scientist. You cannot downplay that, but he never said his theory is proof of god though. Op lied about/misrepresented the content of his finding in the thread title. Take your pick of which.

He WAS a legit scientist.

Now he just says whatever controversial shit pops into his brain to get on TV.

Legit scientists are rarely paraded around whenever the subject of aliens is brought up.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 11:39:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Saw this today. http://ageac.org/en/multimedia/scientist-says-he-found-definitive-proof-that-god-exists-2/

I'm already a believer via the evidence of things not seen, but I'm curious to know what level of empirical evidence would be sufficient for those who don't have faith to say: 'Yeah, ok. God Exists.'

What would tip you from non-believer to agnostic to 'Yeah, ok. Supreme being is there.'

ETA: Poll added.
View Quote

Actual evidence
voted other
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 11:41:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I feel like the mistake being made by believers in this thread is that you think atheist somehow follow an accepted doctrine; in this case science.  What has led many to become atheist isn't a lack of knowledge, or a desire to follow anything, but instead a persistent questioning in their mind of things they are told. When a believer reads something from the bible they accept it as truth. When atheist read something from a group of scientist they question and doubt it the same way they would something from a religious text.  It is only through overwhelming evidence that I, and many other atheist, "believe" something to be true. Kaku, Hawkins, Cox, Curie, Einstein: These are not prophets of some sort to us. Their word may hold slightly more weight than others, but all information is looked at through a lense of doubt.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 11:46:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.  And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.  Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.
View Quote

I think it's odd that a being which created a universe that operates on logical principles, would want us to abandon logic and operate on belief.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 12:09:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I think it's odd that a being which created a universe that operates on logical principles, would want us to abandon logic and operate on belief.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.  And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.  Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

Let's be honest, the entire concept of religion is odd. It is the belief in something without evidence. It will never make sense to the sensible.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 12:56:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well op you've opened up another new can of worms for sure. For most of the atheist that will reply, there is nothing that will change them. Sad but true. They will rebuttal with misguided ignorance, avoid answers, and dance around everything thrown at them.  They will ignore a large number of scientist that believe there is a God, like we even need scientist to prove it...

Bacon

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 1:20:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Does anyone talk to their atom or molecule in their body ? or even acknowledge it ? Out of the whole wide universe why would god even care to look at earth, then go down further and look upon humans.

Aliens must be laughing at earth and humans : They create powerful weapons and morons point it at themselves
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 1:25:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am more of a non believer but my father is a preacher and here's how he puts it to people who "want" to believe

"If there's a desk then someone had to make it, if there's a car then sure someone build it, same goes for the earth and the universe someone had to make it. And that maker is what we name God"
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 1:31:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Read it. Went to church. Had plenty of exposure to the Bible.

Not impressed.

That being said, I get out a LOT and think life is in fact wonderful.

Stunning, I realize.....and Him is correct in the quote above.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The problem is that many rely on what some regard as a book of myths, folktales, legends, and superstition as their sole "proof".

This makes it extremely difficult to find any common ground.

You really should get out more and read about life and how wonderful it is. Start with the Bible.

Not impressed.

That makes my inner grammar Nazi twitch
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 1:44:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I am more of a non believer but my father is a preacher and here's how he puts it to people who "want" to believe

"If there's a desk then someone had to make it, if there's a car then sure someone build it, same goes for the earth and the universe someone had to make it. And that maker is what we name God"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A variation on the tired old "argument" which goes "How can there be a watch without a watchmaker."

People trot that one out as if it really nails it down, and "proves" the point.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 2:54:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you know a car is designed? How do you know a desk is designed? It's because you already know it was designed. It has to do with comparisons to what occurs naturally.

A puddle fits perfectly into a pothole but nobody would say the puddle was specifically designed for the pothole. A lake fits perfectly the geography of the landscape (as does the puddle). An ocean does the same. Figuring out what is designed vs. whats just natural has nothing to do with complexity or perceived purpose (see puddle - ocean analogy). It's just comparing stuff to what we already know.

We recognize design by comparing things to what occurs naturally, You're pointing to a desk or a car and comparing it to the sea or mountains (which are also designed by God in a theistic view). You're saying that X is designed by saying it's unlike Y (which you also think is designed (but are conveniently ignoring in the argument)).

----------------

Another line of argument,
Who created the watchmaker? In the analogy, God is the watchmaker. Theists believe that watchmakers don't just pop out of nowhere, so who created the watchmaker? Are we just supposed to special-plead this away because the argument doesn't work with infinite regression? The watchmaker had a creator, so who created him, right?

It also doesn't say much of the designer as well. We have vestigial organs, severe birth defects/disabilities, people's knees/backs are badly designed and fail us in old age, people's eyes may degrade and/or get disease (near-sightedness, glaucoma, blindness,  etc., etc., etc.). It doesn't say much of a competent designer.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 3:43:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I believe because the more I learn about the world and universe it's the only answer that makes sense
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 3:45:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Another poll fail!  I already believe!
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 3:50:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I believe because the more I learn about the world and universe it's the only answer that makes sense
View Quote

Try it without the logical back flips.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 3:55:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
https://imgur.com/Yl95Gl6.jpg

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Every time I see that picture I laugh that the person posting it is such a moron.

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 4:13:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
God is real? Great now which one? If there was definitive proof there was a Creator it isn't like everything is solved in the world.

http://www.harekrsna.de/artikel/gopala/krishna-syamasundara_1s.jpg
View Quote

Ba'al was the real deal. Bring back Ba'al.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 4:26:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm sure this is a true statement. It tells me you simply lack the ability to understand your surroundings and fall back on superstition to explain complex ideas.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 4:39:47 PM EDT
[#20]
I really hope God exists, but I'm not holding my breath or anything.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 4:40:59 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I'm sure this is a true statement. It tells me you simply lack the ability to understand your surroundings and fall back on superstition to explain complex ideas.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

"God of the Gaps" argument.  The weakest of all justifications.

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 4:58:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Something came from nothing .

God created everything .

You decide .
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 5:10:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

God created everything .

You decide .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

God created everything .

You decide .

Or something came from something other than god.

And your argument, like many others have argued, still doesn't mean the Christian god is any more likely than any other god or goddess.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 5:21:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

And your argument, like many others have argued, still doesn't mean the Christian god is any more likely than any other god or goddess.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

God created everything .

You decide .

Something other than God ? Such as what?

The answer is simple . You believe that the Big Bang was a spontaneous force that spawned literally from nothing . There was no existence and then bang  , the nothingness spawned everything.Or an ethereal being (God) created the universe . Do you have an alternate theory ?
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 5:46:07 PM EDT
[#25]

The only proof of God's existence for me would be to witness the total annihilation of everything that exists. To bring about a true, absolute and eternal nothing. No matter, no energy, no spacetime, no motion, no information, no causality, no entropy, no consciousness. Just a nothing from which nothing could ever come back.

God wouldn't have created such a shitshow and thought it was a good idea, which is the biggest strike against his existence in my book.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 5:47:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The answer is simple . You believe that the Big Bang was a spontaneous force that spawned literally from nothing . There was no existence and then bang  , the nothingness spawned everything.Or an ethereal being (God) created the universe . Do you have an alternate theory ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

God created everything .

You decide .

I don't have an alternate theory myself, but my point was don't limit yourself to such a black and white answer.

So let's go with your idea that it has to be a godlike being. Which one? Or what of it is a godlike being that simply ignores us and doesn't care one way or the other how we work out?

Even if you could prove a godlike being existed, that still wouldn't prove it was the biblical God unless he came down and clarified it directly in present time.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 5:52:39 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The problem is that many rely on what some regard as a book of myths, folktales, legends, and superstition as their sole "proof".

This makes it extremely difficult to find any common ground.

You really should get out more and read about life and how wonderful it is. Start with the Bible.

Not impressed.

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 5:55:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
As an aside: I find it particularly interesting that almost all liberals are now religious.

Happy ramendon, Liberals!

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 5:57:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Biggerstick47:

This is where faith comes in . If you believe Jesus was the son of God and the physical manifestation of Him then you are a Christian . Otherwise , you still believe in an ethereal being . From my perspective I could care less about "identifying" which specific belief or concept of God is "the" God . I believe the miracles Jesus performed were not of this world and could only have been performed by God .

If you think that's bullsht then fine . I'm not trying to convert you . I could care less what you believe . The point I always come to in debating scientoloists or atheists or non believers is the fact that no matter what scientific reason you apply to how we came into being (Big Bang, multiverse , steady state , etc) you ultimately get to a point where you have to have a catalyst to set existence in motion . If people believe that existence can spawn itself from absolute nothing , that is no different than believing in God. You ultimately have to have faith either way.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 6:01:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

How do you know a car is designed? How do you know a desk is designed? It's because you already know it was designed. It has to do with comparisons to what occurs naturally.

A puddle fits perfectly into a pothole but nobody would say the puddle was specifically designed for the pothole. A lake fits perfectly the geography of the landscape (as does the puddle). An ocean does the same. Figuring out what is designed vs. whats just natural has nothing to do with complexity or perceived purpose (see puddle - ocean analogy). It's just comparing stuff to what we already know.

We recognize design by comparing things to what occurs naturally, You're pointing to a desk or a car and comparing it to the sea or mountains (which are also designed by God in a theistic view). You're saying that X is designed by saying it's unlike Y (which you also think is designed (but are conveniently ignoring in the argument)).

----------------

Who created the watchmaker? In the analogy, God is the watchmaker. Theists believe that watchmakers don't just pop out of nowhere, so who created the watchmaker? Are we just supposed to special-plead this away because the argument doesn't work with infinite regression? The watchmaker had a creator, so who created him, right?

It also doesn't say much of the designer as well. We have vestigial organs, severe birth defects/disabilities, people's knees/backs are badly designed and fail us in old age, people's eyes may degrade and/or get disease (near-sightedness, glaucoma, blindness,  etc., etc., etc.). It doesn't say much of a competent designer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

----------------

As I said I am not much of a believer and believe me or not there's a large population of people willing to give up everything in the name of god. 100's of doctors, lawyers and professionals.
Ever seen a broke doctor ? I have cause once a year he will give away everything he has to the church and then borrow back from church to sustain himself and family.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 6:27:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Biggerstick47:

This is where faith comes in . If you believe Jesus was the son of God and the physical manifestation of Him then you are a Christian . Otherwise , you still believe in an ethereal being . From my perspective I could care less about "identifying" which specific belief or concept of God is "the" God . I believe the miracles Jesus performed were not of this world and could only have been performed by God .

If you think that's bullsht then fine . I'm not trying to convert you . I could care less what you believe . The point I always come to in debating scientoloists or atheists or non believers is the fact that no matter what scientific reason you apply to how we came into being (Big Bang, multiverse , steady state , etc) you ultimately get to a point where you have to have a catalyst to set existence in motion . If people believe that existence can spawn itself from absolute nothing , that is no different than believing in God. You ultimately have to have faith either way.
View Quote

I don't think it's bullshit, referring to you believing that. I just don't share your belief, and I promise, growing up in the south, I tried damn hard to believe. But the lack of evidence was something I could not overcome. I know a lot of people can get past that fact, but I'm not one of them.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 6:33:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I don't think it's bullshit, referring to you believing that. I just don't share your belief, and I promise, growing up in the south, I tried damn hard to believe. But the lack of evidence was something I could not overcome. I know a lot of people can get past that fact, but I'm not one of them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Biggerstick47:

I understand . I appreciate a back and forth without insults . It's hard to do that when debating science and religion . I wish you the best .
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 6:41:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I understand . I appreciate a back and forth without insults . It's hard to do that when debating science and religion . I wish you the best .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Biggerstick47:

You as well.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 6:55:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Every time I see that picture I laugh that the person posting it is such a moron.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's just because you're insecure about your beliefs.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 7:12:57 PM EDT
[#35]
The question itself is complicated.  If a 12 foot tall purple being magically appeared before every person on the planet, said "watch this" in whatever language they understood, snapped his fingers and gave us 4 moons in orbit, it would certainly prove there are beings with superior knowledge, powers or technology compared to us.  But the questions asks what would convince me of a "Supreme Being", which with the capitalization implies the God of some particular faith.  The demonstration would not mean there was only one of that being, it would not mean there aren't even more advanced beings out there, it would not mean that being created the universe and mankind and it would not mean that being deserves to be worshiped.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 7:14:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No it's you who are insecure (your actions show it yet again)

I laugh because the one posting is it clueless

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 7:18:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

reported
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 7:19:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Physics proves that you shouldn't eat meat on Fridays during lent.

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 7:24:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I would respectfully posit that is total nonsense. ^^^

If that is in fact the case, maybe you can explain why the greatest discoveries in all of human history entirely defy this "logic".

Seems this "faith" exception is nearly exclusive to religious assertions.

To assert "faith" as a serious explanation in pretty much any other discussion would get one laughed out of the room....yet in respect to religion "the unseen" and "faith" are positioned as the lone exception and are somehow expected to be taken uniquely seriously despite being discarded as ludicrous in pretty much every other context.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would posit that the evidence of things not seen in sufficient quantities is more powerful than that which is seen. More compelling. That that is indeed why there is so little empirical evidence; because it is insufficient, and because faith serves multiple purposes that benefit man.

I would respectfully posit that is total nonsense. ^^^

If that is in fact the case, maybe you can explain why the greatest discoveries in all of human history entirely defy this "logic".

Seems this "faith" exception is nearly exclusive to religious assertions.

To assert "faith" as a serious explanation in pretty much any other discussion would get one laughed out of the room....yet in respect to religion "the unseen" and "faith" are positioned as the lone exception and are somehow expected to be taken uniquely seriously despite being discarded as ludicrous in pretty much every other context.

You say it's utter nonsense yet there are multiple examples in this thread of people who would not accept the evidence of their eyes. That snaps it right out of utter nonsense. I'm not suggesting that faith is the mechanism by which we discover the natural world around us. It is however the method by which we discover the super natural world. As this is the realm where God would dwell the assertion that we apply empirical evidence to find him is 'utter nonsense'. The only means to do so would be of a spiritual nature. This is what atheists miss.

2nd Corinthians 2:14 'But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.'

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 7:28:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Evidence can be independently examined. Religious experience cannot, therefore is not evidence. This is semantics. You cannot expect empirical evidence from the natural world to be the same as that for the super natural world. Spiritual evidence is of a spiritual nature that is different from physical. If you choose not to call it evidence what would you call for example a miraculous healing?

Unlikely. They're all incurable by medical science, and God (if he exists) obviously isn't going to fix them.

However, just because the cause cannot currently be explained by science, does not necessarily mean that God is the explanation.Hence my original question. If a miraculous healing wouldn't convince you what would?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
[Evidence is] Not an oxymoron. Evidence is that which convinces.

Evidence can be independently examined. Religious experience cannot, therefore is not evidence. This is semantics. You cannot expect empirical evidence from the natural world to be the same as that for the super natural world. Spiritual evidence is of a spiritual nature that is different from physical. If you choose not to call it evidence what would you call for example a miraculous healing?

I'm so sorry to hear of your health challenges, and hope things begin to go better for you.

Unlikely. They're all incurable by medical science, and God (if he exists) obviously isn't going to fix them.

Healing is definitely a model God has used to convince people that He's there. That is an excellent example of the evidence of things not seen, as it would be unexplainable by science.

However, just because the cause cannot currently be explained by science, does not necessarily mean that God is the explanation.Hence my original question. If a miraculous healing wouldn't convince you what would?

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 7:31:12 PM EDT
[#41]
I put direct contact.  He has made himself known to me at several points and his intervention has carried me in his way
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 7:33:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Actual evidence
voted other
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Saw this today. http://ageac.org/en/multimedia/scientist-says-he-found-definitive-proof-that-god-exists-2/

I'm already a believer via the evidence of things not seen, but I'm curious to know what level of empirical evidence would be sufficient for those who don't have faith to say: 'Yeah, ok. God Exists.'

What would tip you from non-believer to agnostic to 'Yeah, ok. Supreme being is there.'

ETA: Poll added.

Actual evidence
voted other

Like what? Lab? Hook Him up to some machines, and run some tests?
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 7:34:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Belief is extremely logical. I get that it's not logical to you, I'm assuming that's because you don't understand it.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 7:37:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Let's be honest, the entire concept of religion is odd. It is the belief in something without evidence. It will never make sense to the sensible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah, but there is evidence. It is the evidence of things not seen, touched, tasted, heard or smelled.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 7:46:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Your compelling that scientist's evidence is underwhelming .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That scientist is full of shit.

Your compelling that scientist's evidence is underwhelming .

Fify
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 7:47:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Faith

Hebrews 11:16
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 7:50:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Ah, but there is evidence. It is the evidence of things not seen, touched, tasted, heard or smelled.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah, the evidence that's not evident.....
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 8:42:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But it is evident to those that experience enough of it. Remember it's of a different nature. That doesn't make it not compelling.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 8:53:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

God created everything .

You decide .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

God created everything .

You decide .

So, what you're saying is that the universe cannot come into being from nothing, but God can.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 9:01:23 PM EDT
[#50]
wtf?

The video in the article was produced THREE YEARS AGO.  ....in it, he's not making any firm assertion that there is a "god", he's speaking metaphorically.   He's using the pronoun "god" the same way most scientist use it.  

The article appears to be bogus.  

Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top