BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 15
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 3:35:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They did a bang up job of propping up Obama's fog machine with 1 rate increase in his last year in office so I can believe it. Besides, as others have shown the "recovery" is nothing more than a shell game. Right before midterms too, imagine that. Just takes a little nudge and people are fleeing for cash. Now, Trump is no dummy. He had to know they would fight back this way so it will be interesting to see what happens.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's been the plan by the fed reserve to keep increasing interest rates, till they tank the economy, and blame Trump for it.

remember - the feds were completely afraid of doing anything with interest rates, and they even bought back their own notes at sales, to keep the economy going for fbho.

now that the dems are not in office, they have nothing to worry about, and have kept raising rates, faster than what they should have.

and now they are begining to see the results they want. a collapsing economy while Trump is in office.

next from the left: See! Trump's policies don't work. WE NEED TO INCREASE TAXES NOW TO SAVE THE ECONOMY!

BASIC INCOME FOR THE POOR NOW! etc....
Bingo. They have raised rates 7 times in less than 2 years. They knew exactly where this would lead. Just gotta punish the average guy with his 401K retirement for long enough to make him fear it won't cut it. All the while the bots on yahoo finance, market watch and twit face will march to the beat of its all Trumps fault!! REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
President Trump mentioned the other day during comments to the press that he would prefer they didn't raise interests rates any further right now.  I have to agree with him.  An overcorrection trying to stave off inflation would take the legs right out of the economy.  I can't believe the Fed would intentionally tank the economy in order to blame Trump, but then we have exhibit 1.) the FBI and exhibit 2.) the DOJ...so......
They did a bang up job of propping up Obama's fog machine with 1 rate increase in his last year in office so I can believe it. Besides, as others have shown the "recovery" is nothing more than a shell game. Right before midterms too, imagine that. Just takes a little nudge and people are fleeing for cash. Now, Trump is no dummy. He had to know they would fight back this way so it will be interesting to see what happens.
I actually can see a situation where the Fed caves to politics and rescues the market.  This single scenario is the only reason I have not maxed out margin in my personal accounts to short the market.  If this happens I will be buying gold, for the first time ever.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 4:35:09 AM EDT
[#2]
CPI Inflation numbers at 8:30 should be exciting.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 4:55:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Take advantage of these huge corrections . If they raise rates again in the next meeting might time to buy presicous metals . Housing, credit card , student loans , etc etc... is going to be crashing soon. Get your toys now dollar isn’t going to be worth shit in the future
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 4:57:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Futures looking ugly. Time to dump my calls
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 5:08:17 AM EDT
[#5]
It's happening isn't it?
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 5:40:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It's October. Happens every year. People are cashing in their gains.
View Quote
yep

exactly what is going on
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 5:43:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Then what do they do with the cash?  Sure take some profit but then you’ll put it in other securities. Nobody is just going to sit on large amounts of cash.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's October. Happens every year. People are cashing in their gains.
Then what do they do with the cash?  Sure take some profit but then you’ll put it in other securities. Nobody is just going to sit on large amounts of cash.
not how it works

when someone sells an equity at a profit they have to pay tax

if someone sells an equity for cash or a trade ( invest in something else) at a profit for $1000 and in the same year they sell an equity at a loss of $1000 and buy an different equity then the net gain on equities is zero as the loss cancels out the profit and no tax is paid

happens every year that people take proffits
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 5:47:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Be patient. What goes down will come up. A week ago we had a record high. It can be a rough ride but don't get rattled.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 5:48:31 AM EDT
[#9]
obama's economy, right?
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 6:42:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Futures looking ugly. Time to dump my calls
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 6:45:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Fuck my ass with a cactus, I just put $3k on VTSAX literally two weeks ago.

I know its whore money, but I had it laying around and wanted to do more than 8 tenths of a fucking percent.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 6:55:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What has changed?
View Quote
Hurricane Michael.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 8:27:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
CPI Inflation numbers at 8:30 should be exciting.
View Quote
What's the CPI number that will cause you concern?
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 8:46:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
They can put it into the gazillion investments other than "stocks, bonds and mutual funds" that exist.

The banks and most financial "advisors" rarely talk about this, other than advising someone to maybe buy a rental home, but this largely the product of the bank-promoted "derrr, invest in mutual funds via your 401k" nonsense.  Accordingly, most people get locked in to thinking that's all that's accessible to them.

Even if you're not an accredited investor, there are lots of things someone can invest in where they can either control most of the risk, control their downside, or obtain far better returns than the market will typically provide (recent history notwithstanding).
View Quote
@PeteCO

Far better returns than the market?...

Like what?
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 8:50:52 AM EDT
[#15]
I've made some insane short term returns in commercial real estate and in buying notes at a discount.

I typed some posts about it in the Business and Investing forum a while ago, I'll dig them up and repost summaries.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:04:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
obama's economy, right?
View Quote
No quisling.  Obama’s Fed reserve.  Forgot about all the Goldman Sachs people OhBlowme had put in government offices?  We haven’t forgotten.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:07:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I know its whore money, but I had it laying around and wanted to do more than 8 tenths of a fucking percent.
View Quote
Barclays' regular savings account is 1.9%.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:25:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Too many people still have the mindset from when the DOW was at 3000 or so.  A 500 point drop then would be massive.  From 25,000, it's a blip.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:27:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Doesn’t keep up with real inflation which is 10%  

The Fed Res’ artificially low interest rates discouraged saving (which is necessary for economic growth) and encouraged those with cash to keep it in the equity market.   Same thing happened to pension funds.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:31:50 AM EDT
[#20]
All the CIA front companies (S&P 100) are collapsing
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:35:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Doesn't keep up with real inflation which is 10%  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, but it's a hell of a lot better than 0.6%.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:43:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely.   But remember w/the Dodd-Frank Act savers are unsecured creditors who stand second in line for the bank’s money.  FDIC has been broke too so by the time you get paid back, it’s worth the paper it’s printed on.  QE’s effect will haunt us by then.

We live in interesting times.  Gawd how I prefer boring and watching the grass grow.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:45:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Haven't even looked today. Don't think I want to
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:46:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It's happening isn't it?
View Quote
Yes!
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:49:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Absolutely.   But remember w/the Dodd-Frank Act savers are unsecured creditors who stand second in line for the bank's money.  FDIC has been broke too so by the time you get paid back, it's worth the paper it's printed on.  QE's effect will haunt us by then.
We live in interesting times.  Gawd how I prefer boring and watching the grass grow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Absolutely.   But remember w/the Dodd-Frank Act savers are unsecured creditors who stand second in line for the bank's money.  FDIC has been broke too so by the time you get paid back, it's worth the paper it's printed on.  QE's effect will haunt us by then.
If it's so bad that Barclays goes under, we're all fucked no matter what.  They're one of the biggest banks in the world.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:55:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Do you know where the market is going, or are you just worried about the current price action?  I think there is a higher chance that we are moving down than up, but I would have said that two weeks ago and I still invested into the same fund.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:57:06 AM EDT
[#27]
It goes up, it goes down. Stay the course and don't try to time the market.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:58:45 AM EDT
[#28]
I just bought back in to some tech stocks. We'll see if it was the right decision.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 10:29:14 AM EDT
[#29]
I just bought $10K of S&P last week.  Now I'm thinking about adding $2.5K more to it to even things out a bit.

Link Posted: 10/11/2018 10:36:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
SELL SELL SELL

I'm not kidding.  You guys who think that you can just sit around and pull in 15 to 20% per year on your stocks in the "markets" are in for a rude 2008-style awakening.  The "market" is not actually a real market.  It's manipulated by insiders, big investment banks, and interest rates and you have no idea what you are really getting into.  

Guns, ammo, tobacco, alcohol, food, water, gold, and silver are what you need.
View Quote
 Buying all that stuff is like saving money in a 0% interest account.  It generally holds its value, but doesn't appreciate.

Buying stocks in the companies that produce the things you mentioned are investments or speculation, where rates of return rise to something meaningful.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 10:39:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I just bought $10K of S&P last week.  Now I'm thinking about adding $2.5K more to it to even things out a bit.
View Quote
I bought 8k last week.    I used this price signal to lower my percentage of contributions to the index in my portfolio, but I will still be buying.  If it crashes, I will ramp up my buying.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 10:44:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
obama's economy, right?
View Quote
Fuck no. I cleared $35k on a house this week that was upside down 50% in "Obama's Economy."
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 10:46:13 AM EDT
[#33]
All of these dip buyers are going to be in for a big surprise when the market finally crashes. The next crash will make 2008 look like child's play.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 10:49:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
SELL SELL SELL

I'm not kidding.  You guys who think that you can just sit around and pull in 15 to 20% per year on your stocks in the "markets" are in for a rude 2008-style awakening.  The "market" is not actually a real market.  It's manipulated by insiders, big investment banks, and interest rates and you have no idea what you are really getting into.

Guns, ammo, tobacco, alcohol, food, water, gold, and silver are what you need.
View Quote
LOL.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 10:50:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
All of these dip buyers are going to be in for a big surprise when the market finally crashes. The next crash will make 2008 look like child's play.
View Quote
I am licking my chops for the opportunity to buy the market at a lower price.  Please surprise me.  And if we see the big one, I will be in full blown panic mode to sell everything I own to buy the market.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 11:07:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
That's if you have the appropriate mix for CPI-U.  Just don't send anyone to college or consume medical care.  You're golden.  
View Quote
Oh yea it's hilarious.  I use the most doctored official numbers for calculations like that, and it's still ridiculously lousy.  Only in a Keynesian world do people not panic at the current state of affairs .
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 11:13:56 AM EDT
[#37]
... skimmed off some nice profit just before the dive
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 11:15:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Oh yea it's hilarious.  I use the most doctored official numbers for calculations like that, and it's still ridiculously lousy.  Only in a Keynesian world do people not panic at the current state of affairs .
View Quote
I agree, but we are forced to go along for the ride.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 11:18:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I agree, but we are forced to go along for the ride.
View Quote
 What's wrong with investing in countries that aren't committing financial suicide?
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 11:19:48 AM EDT
[#40]
WTF is with all the idiots hoping for a crash?

Anyways it's the usual October selloff, people cash in their gains ahead of the holidays.

The elections and what follows next year will be the thing to watch.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 11:23:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
 What's wrong with investing in countries that aren't committing financial suicide?
View Quote
LOL - Are you kidding?  Everyone is doing the same thing, just not to the scale of the US.  That being said, I am diversified internationally.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 11:23:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 11:24:58 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
WTF is with all the idiots hoping for a crash?

Anyways it's the usual October selloff, people cash in their gains ahead of the holidays.

The elections and what follows next year will be the thing to watch.
View Quote
They panic sold and want to buy back in.

They have extra cash laying around and want to buy at the bottom.

Pick one.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 11:25:29 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is a problem for people nearing retirement. This is an opportunity for those who are not.

Same as the last 100 years.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 11:28:42 AM EDT
[#45]
LOL at people saying it's a crash.

Maybe, maybe not. I usually make money both directions and this has been no exception.

But what fucking evidence, other than a few days of downturn, do you have that shows you are right about a crash, and not just herping and derping to make yourself feel superior to ... something?
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 11:31:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

They panic sold and want to buy back in.

They have extra cash laying around and want to buy at the bottom.

Pick one.
View Quote
or

Three - They don't want a crash, but will gladly sell other assets to buy the market at a discount with the expectation that it benefits them in the long-run.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 11:35:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
LOL - Are you kidding?  Everyone is doing the same thing, just not to the scale of the US.  That being said, I am diversified internationally.
View Quote
idon'tbelieveyou.jpg
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 11:41:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
LOL at people saying it's a crash.

Maybe, maybe not. I usually make money both directions and this has been no exception.

But what fucking evidence, other than a few days of downturn, do you have that shows you are right about a crash, and not just herping and derping to make yourself feel superior to ... something?
View Quote
I agree with you, but the Fed's aggressive action to raise rates is a material concern and will have a negative impact to growth.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 11:44:36 AM EDT
[#49]
Oh Jeebus, down 200 today so far!

Link Posted: 10/11/2018 11:45:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Im buying some VTSAX today
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top