Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 6:48:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I would love to go visit that silo museum. Too bad it's so far away.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:34:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The pucker factor of watching that giant socket fall down the silo and rupture the fuel tank is something else.
View Quote

Most interesting (technologically) part of that entire episode at Damascus was the fact that the explosion was powerful enough to flip a 750 ton blast door about a quarter mile, over a line of trees....and the reentry vehicle was found banged up, but intact and not leaking.  That's some powerful engineering magic.  

In the mid-2000s I worked for an O-6 who, as a Senior Airman, found the RV in the ditch.  He went on to OCS and became the only officer known to have worked all three disciplines in missiles (operations, security forces, and maintenance).  Great man with some really interesting stories to tell of that night.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 8:42:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Had other things to comment on, but uh

Why is there a nuclearly armed Krystal in Georgia, and wtf is that on the top of it?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Passed it yesterday on my way back from my FL house. I always point it out to who ever is with me. Usually my wife. She doesn't care.

I wish they would put the real nose cone back on it. The crap they have on it now makes it look weak.
Had other things to comment on, but uh

Why is there a nuclearly armed Krystal in Georgia, and wtf is that on the top of it?

Never had a sackfull of Krystals have ya?  That'll nuclearly arm your bowels.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 9:05:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 10:48:37 AM EDT
[#5]
There are three semi or totally open to LCCs to my knowledge.

I know the MMIII was closed for a long time for I think refurbishing. The MMII one requires significant planning to get in.

The Titan Museum represents an excellent combination of accessible location and consistory open.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 12:49:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I know the MMIII was closed for a long time for I think refurbishing. The MMII one requires significant planning to get in.

The Titan Museum represents an excellent combination of accessible location and consistory open.
View Quote

Five.

Titan II in AZ.
MMII at Whiteman AFB (run by the base, semi-open, you need to schedule in advance since it's on base).
MIMI in SD (MMII run by the National Park Service, open but looooong lead time for reservations)
MMIII in Cooperstown ND (run by the North Dakota State Historical Society, pretty open because no one goes to North Dakota except on accident or under duress.  )
And they WY state historical society just opened Q-01 in Wyoming as a Peacekeeper site--last one left, the PK LCCs at Vandenberg were converted to other missions.  

There is also an Atlas site in WY that they turned into a state park--can't go into the LCCs/LFs but you can walk around them.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 12:56:09 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

IIRC the Cooperstown MMIII site will also let you do that.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 3:52:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Five.

Titan II in AZ.
MMII at Whiteman AFB (run by the base, semi-open, you need to schedule in advance since it's on base).
MIMI in SD (MMII run by the National Park Service, open but looooong lead time for reservations)
MMIII in Cooperstown ND (run by the North Dakota State Historical Society, pretty open because no one goes to North Dakota except on accident or under duress.  )
And they WY state historical society just opened Q-01 in Wyoming as a Peacekeeper site--last one left, the PK LCCs at Vandenberg were converted to other missions.  

There is also an Atlas site in WY that they turned into a state park--can't go into the LCCs/LFs but you can walk around them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Five.

Titan II in AZ.

The company I work for does allot of work out of their Williston office, they keep begging some of us to go back and do relief work for their ND crews and to date we have all managed to avoid it. You nailed it no one goes to ND (we call it Nearly Divorced). Even for 30 days all expenses paid, and huge bonus no one will take them up on the offer
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 4:42:26 PM EDT
[#9]
A member here, @bunnyslippers , bought a site and turned it into a venue.

You can watch his 10 year remodel journey on YouTube
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 12:57:20 PM EDT
[#10]
MISSILE minuteman launch sequence
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 1:07:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Fun Titan II Fact.   The Titan II was primarily the "Big Stick" of the ICBM force for going after Soviet / Chinese Command & Control Bunkers - (A.K.A. leadership).

While each of the later solid fueled Minuteman III carried a MIRV 'package' of three warheads in the 'Kiloton' range + "penetration aids", the Titan II carried one Big & Bad 6 Megaton Monster warhead.

Anyplace underneath such a beast... would NOT be a good place to hide when set to surface burst.

Bigger_Hammer
View Quote

9.  (Dead horse beaten, LOL)

And I wonder how accurate it actually was---though I'm sure it was serially improved over the years---vs using a B-52 to drop a 25-ish MT B-41 or the Titan II-equivalent B-53 in laydown mode?

Lot of bada-boom though, for damn sure.  I'd thought the Chinese still had a few 5MT-ish city killers in their strategic deterrent?  I'd also thought the Soviets/Russians finally got rid of that monster warhead they used to stick on an SS-18 mod?  Though they still do the storable liquid propellant thing, AFAIK.  Did they ever finally convert their SLBMs to solid rocket motors, like civilized people?
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 1:15:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

And I wonder how accurate it actually was---though I'm sure it was serially improved over the years---vs using a B-52 to drop a 25-ish MT B-41 or the Titan II-equivalent B-53 in laydown mode?

Lot of bada-boom though, for damn sure.  I'd thought the Chinese still had a few 5MT-ish city killers in their strategic deterrent?  I'd also thought the Soviets/Russians finally got rid of that monster warhead they used to stick on an SS-18 mod?  Though they still do the storable liquid propellant thing, AFAIK.  Did they ever finally convert their SLBMs to solid rocket motors, like civilized people?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fun Titan II Fact.   The Titan II was primarily the "Big Stick" of the ICBM force for going after Soviet / Chinese Command & Control Bunkers - (A.K.A. leadership).

While each of the later solid fueled Minuteman III carried a MIRV 'package' of three warheads in the 'Kiloton' range + "penetration aids", the Titan II carried one Big & Bad 6 Megaton Monster warhead.

Anyplace underneath such a beast... would NOT be a good place to hide when set to surface burst.

Bigger_Hammer

I see claims of a CEP of 900 meters for the Titan II.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 1:20:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Five.

Titan II in AZ.

View Quote

@limaxray

I toured a silo at Vandenberg in the late 80's. Was that a Peacekeeper? I honestly don't remember. We went to the Shuttle Launch platform as well that they never used. I used to surf Jalama Beach & it was always a great spot to watch launches I was told. Never had a chance to see one though.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 1:28:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My father worked on the team that devised the guidance system.

All done with slide rules and sine tables.
Analog computers.
The missiles had their own spinning gyroscope on board.
He didn't care to talk about the accuracy of the finalized system they proved in New Mexico and over the Pacific, so long as there were missiles in the ground.

He did say that they were very, very pleasantly surprised.
Astonished even.

He would be 94 today.
He did that work when he was in the prime of his life, just out of the Navy.

That's a really old system.
View Quote

Your Dad and my Dad may have met.

My Dad worked for Martin Marietta’s Micro electronics Lab.

They did not do the primary design on guidence circuits, but took the designs and put them on a micro chip. He often was out of town meeting and conferring with the original design teams working out the issues of shrinking their circuits down to a flight ready micro chip.

He too left the Navy to join the defense industry in the early sixties.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 8:17:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

@limaxray

I toured a silo at Vandenberg in the late 80's. Was that a Peacekeeper? I honestly don't remember. We went to the Shuttle Launch platform as well that they never used. I used to surf Jalama Beach & it was always a great spot to watch launches I was told. Never had a chance to see one though.
View Quote

Depends on what you mean by "silo".  If it was where the missile is actually stored, that's the launch facility.  If it was a small room where the crew sits, that's the launch control center.  Actual launch facilities ("silos"), I think there's six active Minuteman, though my info is dated. There's currently three active LCCs.  The PK LCC has since been repurposed for the Ground Based Missile Defense system.  

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top