BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 6:47:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So are we going to give the former students who worked, and paid for their school $50K each?
View Quote
And, what are we going to give to the people who realized they couldn't afford to a 4 year college, went to tech school instead, and are now permanently disadvantaged in the job market?
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 6:47:17 PM EDT
[#2]

Presented without comment.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 6:58:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm on Warrens side. 100% behind college debt forgiveness.

She is just doing it wrong. Make it dischargeable in bankruptcy court. That's it. Can't get a decent job because you and your 100 feminist friends took "Femenist French Lesbian Poetry in the 18th Century"? No worries. File for BK. Trash your credit like you should. Then watch as colleges no longer have women's studies, or swahili, or any other underwater basket weaving degrees.

You guys need to play the long game.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 7:01:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I would rather build a $640 billion WALL first.

Get the government OUT of student loans and make the colleges loan/finance the students so they have a vested interest in student success.
View Quote
I like that one
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 7:08:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Lol if that somehow passes hell if I pay back mine that ive been studiously paying on...and watch a bunch of shit bags get off the hook....if that passes there isnt anymore "do the right thing"...im joining the let it all burn crowd
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 8:12:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeremyahu:For 16 years the Republican Party rejected northern working class Whites, preferring a futile and quixotic appeal to "naturally conservative" Mexican and Central American immigrants. Donald Trump changed this and appealed to those northern working class White people, and because they had been harmed by the anti-Liberty and anti-White policies of the Democrats his minimal effort in this regard gained him electoral votes that had been thought impossible.

spartacus2002: I have never understood why the Republican Party believed this, if they ever actually did.  Central/South American Roman Catholic culture is not nearly the same as European Roman Catholic culture, it's far more Marxist.  Just look at the current Commie Pope.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Yeremyahu:For 16 years the Republican Party rejected northern working class Whites, preferring a futile and quixotic appeal to "naturally conservative" Mexican and Central American immigrants. Donald Trump changed this and appealed to those northern working class White people, and because they had been harmed by the anti-Liberty and anti-White policies of the Democrats his minimal effort in this regard gained him electoral votes that had been thought impossible.

spartacus2002: I have never understood why the Republican Party believed this, if they ever actually did.  Central/South American Roman Catholic culture is not nearly the same as European Roman Catholic culture, it's far more Marxist.  Just look at the current Commie Pope.
The Rockefelleresque aristocrats leading the Republicans since Wendell Willkie beat Robert Taft in the 1940 Republican Presidential Nomination push that propaganda line to excuse the cheap labor they profiteer from.  It also explains why the Republican Party has avoided a platform that would appeal to Unionized workers.

Silverbulletz06: I'm on Warrens side. 100% behind college debt forgiveness.
She is just doing it wrong. Make it dischargeable in bankruptcy court. That's it. Can't get a decent job because you and your 100 feminist friends took "Femenist French Lesbian Poetry in the 18th Century"? No worries. File for BK. Trash your credit like you should. Then watch as colleges no longer have women's studies, or swahili, or any other underwater basket weaving degrees.
That's not a bad idea.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 8:26:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Lol if that somehow passes hell if I pay back mine that ive been studiously paying on...and watch a bunch of shit bags get off the hook....if that passes there isnt anymore "do the right thing"...im joining the let it all burn crowd
View Quote
Ah the old if you can't beat them join them speech
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 8:37:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Does it cover the rest of my $350k in student loans?

My social worker salary just barely makes the minimum.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 8:42:26 PM EDT
[#9]
A shit load of this debt financed lifestyles for students, beyond just paying for school.
Privatize student loans, get the government out. Let these folks file bk on the gov ones if they want a credit hit.
Student loans will become bare bones, and privitizing them will see bullshit programs depart public education, including bloated administration.
I fucking hate autocorrect.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 8:59:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Do you even understand basic economics?

The entire reason for the huge inflation of tuition costs is from no longer allowing student loans to be discharged in bankruptcy. They changed it around 1980, which is precisely when the huge inflation in costs started.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How about you folks stand by the terms they agreed upon when they signed that promissory note which makes it clear bankruptcy is not an option! @Neotopiaman

The entire reason for the huge inflation of tuition costs is from no longer allowing student loans to be discharged in bankruptcy. They changed it around 1980, which is precisely when the huge inflation in costs started.
No, he doesn't.  There's several here who don't.  They just pound their fist on the table saying "Pay the bills you agreed to pay!!" like a Boomer telling his kid to find a job by "print off 40 copies of your resume and hit the bricks!!"
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 9:00:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'll take it! lol
View Quote
Amen, brother!I'll see you at the voting booth! Make sure to don your Indian chief headdress like the rest of us!
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 9:02:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
No, he doesn't.  There's several here who don't.  They just pound their fist on the table saying "Pay the bills you agreed to pay!!" like a Boomer telling his kid to find a job by "print off 40 copies of your resume and hit the bricks!!"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How about you folks stand by the terms they agreed upon when they signed that promissory note which makes it clear bankruptcy is not an option! @Neotopiaman

They should.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 9:19:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Do I get back the tens of thousands we paid to pay off student loans as responsible people? Or just another way I get f-ed for not being a dumb fuck. Just add it to the list of sh!t I pay for in order to be blamed for all of the degenerates problems as a WASP male. And no, I’m neither old nor rich.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 10:21:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How about you just make student debt dischargable in bankruptcy?
Is the idea of stopping the hemorrhaging and at least changing our crazy economic interventions is also abhorrent somehow?
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 10:25:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Mortgage forgiveness now!

I want a free house! Housing is a human right!
View Quote
motrgage forgiveness would do some amazing things for the economy

WHY DON'T WE JUST ADMIT MONEY NO LONGER MEANS ANYTHING TO THE GOV.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 10:28:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Don’t forget about us mortgage holders! ...
View Quote
Fair is fair,, also they should reimburse everyone who paid them back
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 10:28:32 PM EDT
[#17]
WTF Bankruptcy??

That would be a pretty easy way out.

Back to borrowing in 3 years and $100,000 in debt wiped out??

Some of you are
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 10:30:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
WTF Bankruptcy??

Some of you are
View Quote
You fail to see even the second order of effects.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 10:32:56 PM EDT
[#19]
FEW.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 10:34:28 PM EDT
[#20]
And the vote buying begins....
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 10:38:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
WTF Bankruptcy??

Some of you are
View Quote
bankruptcy isn't always automatically granted and doesn't always wipe out 100% of the debt.

It's not like you fill out a simple form, drop it in a mailbox, and voila! you're debt-free.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 10:39:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Yes it does. They're trying to buy votes with our money.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The folks who took student loans made a choice.

The folks who did not take student loans made a choice.

The colleges who accepted payments from students which originated from a student loan made a choice.

Why is it now the taxpayers responsibility?  This makes no sense.
Yes it does. They're trying to buy votes with our money.
Lol yahhh
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 10:40:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can we add auto loan debt forgiveness in there too, cause im sick of paying my truck payment. Kthx
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 10:46:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Bitch needs to have a stroke
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 11:14:31 PM EDT
[#25]
So Warren wants me to subsidize college courses on Tu Pac and White Male Privilege?  No way.  If someone wants to take that class, it should be on their dime and not mine.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 11:23:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Can we add auto loan debt forgiveness in there too, cause im sick of paying my truck payment. Kthx
View Quote
Home loan too. Burn this mutha down.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 11:39:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Good ole’ boomer logic!

boomer: you should buy a house now, the prices are high, but they’ll always go up. Owning is cheaper in the long run.

me: lol. It would cost me $600 more per month to buy a very highly inflated house. No thanks. I’ll keep the portability.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 11:55:37 PM EDT
[#28]
$640 billion for this, another $640 billion for that...
pretty soon you're talking about some real money
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 11:59:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Literally trying to buy votes.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 12:04:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 12:16:43 AM EDT
[#31]
I still have $36k left on my student loan. I can get behind this

Actually, I’d prefer to pay off what I borrowed.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 12:28:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
This, for student loans going forward and perhaps some stipulation like showing a few years of hardship and likely inability to repay in a timely manner.
Worded in a way so that it is a fairly low threshold.

Let adults with money on the line make the call. Decimate the admin ranks of colleges and high school advisers.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 12:32:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Wait, I only ever took out about $6,500 in student loans, and just payed the last of it back a month ago with a big lump sum payment.  What do I get?  Nothing.  But the idiots that got degrees in gender studies get their debt wiped out?  F*** that.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 12:40:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Mortgage loan forgiveness should be included.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 12:41:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Fuck that shit.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 12:52:29 AM EDT
[#36]
I pay my bills, and took out minimal loans on a degree that pays me Well. Fuck her and fuck letting people of easy who made bad choices.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 12:54:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Let’s just make it 50k debt reduction for all.   50k of any loan you have.   This is stupid as shit.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 1:05:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Yeah, sure...
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 1:11:25 AM EDT
[#39]
She is out of her 1/1025th god damned mind.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 1:56:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Do they do this on purpose or are they this Fucking dumb? This solves half of the equation. The other half you need to fix is giving out student loans because “every child has the right to goto college”. If you stopped lending money to high risk borrowers... esp for those who look to majors like liberal arts and do nothing degrees, there wouldn’t be as much of a crisis in the first place.

This has housing bubble written all over it and it’s going to have the same predictable results.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 2:10:06 AM EDT
[#41]

Link Posted: 4/23/2019 2:30:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I think a more realistic approach would be a government program to allow consolidatation of all existing student loan debts into a 0% loan. Discharging/forgiving the interest of existing loans is a lot more reasonable.

The new consolidated loan would be federal and not dischargable under bankrupcy. Any missed or partial payments incur a %APR penalty on the remaining balance. A long period without missed or partial payments can reduce the %APR penalties back to 0%.

Furthermore, the bill should limit tuition rate increases for any university that acccepts federal subsidies and student grants. The rate of tuition inflation is absurd.

Finally, something should be in there to encourage the use of vocational and trade schools. I'll bet 75% of the people with degrees don't actually need them to do their jobs. They would have been money ahead with no loan debt and 6 months of on the job training. Imagine putting all those student loan payments into a 401k that early in your career instead of paying back banks... you'd have $100,000's more when you retire.
View Quote
Except that many jobs which have no need of any degree at all now 'require' a degree or you don't even get looked at.  Which degree doesn't matter, just that you have a Bachelor's degree.  Grade inflation has lead to 'degree inflation'.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 6:10:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Fuck you.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 7:28:16 AM EDT
[#44]
https://www.newyorkfed.org/medialibrary/media/research/staff_reports/sr733.pdf

Just keep sharing this.  We should make the colleges refund the money.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 7:57:38 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
Why would the colleges give a shit?  They've already been paid.  Options:

1.  Put colleges on the hook and recoup the money from them, if one of their students declares BK.  Watch those bullshit majors vanish overnight.

2.  Index the limit a student can borrow to the expected median income of that major.  For majors without applicable data, just index it to the US median income.  Cut the student off before the debt burden becomes unsustainable, and turn bullshit majors into money losers instead of cash cows for the school.  Again, watch those majors vanish overnight unless the college caters to the trust fund crowd who is paying cash.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 8:29:18 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Except that many jobs which have no need of any degree at all now 'require' a degree or you don't even get looked at.  Which degree doesn't matter, just that you have a Bachelor's degree.  Grade inflation has lead to 'degree inflation'.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think a more realistic approach would be a government program to allow consolidatation of all existing student loan debts into a 0% loan. Discharging/forgiving the interest of existing loans is a lot more reasonable.

The new consolidated loan would be federal and not dischargable under bankrupcy. Any missed or partial payments incur a %APR penalty on the remaining balance. A long period without missed or partial payments can reduce the %APR penalties back to 0%.

Furthermore, the bill should limit tuition rate increases for any university that acccepts federal subsidies and student grants. The rate of tuition inflation is absurd.

Finally, something should be in there to encourage the use of vocational and trade schools. I'll bet 75% of the people with degrees don't actually need them to do their jobs. They would have been money ahead with no loan debt and 6 months of on the job training. Imagine putting all those student loan payments into a 401k that early in your career instead of paying back banks... you'd have $100,000's more when you retire.
Bull
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 8:39:00 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I scrimped and saved for twenty fucking years so my daughter could have a debt free college education. That fake Indian bitch can kiss my hairy white ass.
View Quote
Same from this old white guy.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 8:42:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
WTF Bankruptcy??

Some of you are
View Quote
Apparently, you don't know how the world works.

When the risk is taken from the one and distributed to the many, while the one still gets the benefit, the one acts like there is no risk.  This creates waste.  In this example, the form of wasting free money on a useless 'education' at a accredited leftist indoctrination camp.

In your foolish little misunderstanding above, the lender is the one taking no risk, and the proposal is to put it right back upon them.  From there, they can decide how they want to run their business in complete freedom and taking on whatever risk level they wish.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 8:44:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

1.  Put colleges on the hook and recoup the money from them, if one of their students declares BK.  Watch those bullshit majors vanish overnight.

2.  Index the limit a student can borrow to the expected median income of that major.  For majors without applicable data, just index it to the US median income.  Cut the student off before the debt burden becomes unsustainable, and turn bullshit majors into money losers instead of cash cows for the school.  Again, watch those majors vanish overnight unless the college caters to the trust fund crowd who is paying cash.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you got the government out of the student loan business and made lenders do a proper risk assessment on their potential clients then your second bullet would take care of itself as nobody would make loans for stupid bullshit.

As usual, the solution is actually less government rather than more of the same government that screwed it up in the first place.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 8:52:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top