Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 12/11/2017 2:10:14 PM EDT
Called a local Toyota place to schedule some work to be done to my Tacoma. The fuel gauge needle is resting on empty and the low fuel light is on even though I've topped the tank. The service manager was condescending. I've been doing minor maintenance on my vehicles my whole life and managing the maintenance on aircraft for a couple decades. I give detailed notes on symptoms and things I know to be wrong but I also know my place. I'm not a mechanic. With automobiles a 19 year old still treats me like a child.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:10:51 PM EDT
[#1]
@littlepony

Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:11:33 PM EDT
[#2]
One if the reasons I am not a mechanic anymore.

Everyone seems like a grumpy cunt.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:12:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Prolly cause most PEOPLE are.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:12:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Dealing with the dick public makes them that way?
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:13:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@littlepony

View Quote
beat me to it
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:13:49 PM EDT
[#6]
People that work on cars are the most angry assholes in the world.

Most customers are complete dumbasses so you get lumped in there with all of them.

Same thing with every profession... aka my baby dindu nuffin.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:13:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Why'd you call out mechanics then dog on service writers?

Service writers aren't mechanics, and they treat you like a child, because they have "experts" bringing cars in all day, every day.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:14:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Aircraft mechanics are cunts also.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:14:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Entitled fucks who try to steal money out of your pockets.

Haven't taken my cars to a shop in years.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:14:18 PM EDT
[#10]
The service writer that answers the phone isn't a mechanic
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:14:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Could be, they became mechanic because they aren't good with people.  They hear all kinds of BS diagnosis from customers that useless.

OP you might be a good one with good info but they are jaded by years of listening to BS.

I got into computers because I'm not good with people.  Unfortunately I can't get away from the people part of things...
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:14:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Because they have to deal with people. People are stupid.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:14:53 PM EDT
[#13]
It's a miserable occupation.

If you can tolerate the many levels of bullshit associated with that job, good for you. But you get shit on from all angles.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:15:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Flat Rate and all it entails...

and people
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:15:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Because they work with the public, and any job involving working with the public will make anyone wind up hating people.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:15:43 PM EDT
[#16]
because now they gotta pull the tank to replace a sender with a full tank of fuel, which requires draining the tank first and that pretty much sucks no matter how good your gas caddy is.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:16:11 PM EDT
[#17]
After working with the general public for a good few years.....  People made me a dick.

In general I was polite to a fault, But some days I know I was a dick as much as I tried to avoid being one.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:17:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Probably the same reason us IT guys are dicks.

We get tired of dealing with the same stupid ass problems from the same stupid ass people everyday.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:17:15 PM EDT
[#19]
why are gunsmiths cranky.. I'm seeing a trend..
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:17:42 PM EDT
[#20]
My 4Runner has been doing the same thing lately.  Quit buying cheap ass gas from Gas Mart and see what happens.

*Former Mechanic of both Autos and Aircraft.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:17:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I give detailed notes on symptoms and things I know to be wrong but I also know my place.
View Quote
"Your place" is as a paying customer who expects work to be completed to your satisfaction, which includes a modicum of professional interaction.

Take your business elsewhere, and let them know why you're doing so.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:18:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Called a local Toyota place to schedule some work to be done to my Tacoma. The fuel gauge needle is resting on empty and the low fuel light is on even though I've topped the tank. The service manager was condescending. I've been doing minor maintenance on my vehicles my whole life and managing the maintenance on aircraft for a couple decades. I give detailed notes on symptoms and things I know to be wrong but I also know my place. I'm not a mechanic. With automobiles a 19 year old still treats me like a child.
View Quote
I had exactly the same experience, with precisely the same background.

1. They are angry they didn't pick a better career.

2. They are used to dealing with clueless idiots.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:18:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Was a transmission mechanic for about 10 years, moved into medical about 11 years ago.......why? Because I can't stand people.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:18:48 PM EDT
[#24]
It's not just autos.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:20:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Plumbers too.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:20:33 PM EDT
[#26]
You talked tto service writer. As a mechanic if if you would have given good notes on what the problem is then I would have smiled and thanked you.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:20:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Because customers, and bosses.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:20:59 PM EDT
[#28]
People.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:22:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Why are so many auto mechanics dicks?
View Quote
If you had to deal with every meth head's jacked up turdmobile on a daily basis, and have them breathing down your neck to do it for practically free, you'd probably hate everyone too
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:22:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Entitled fucks who try to steal money out of your pockets.

Haven't taken my cars to a shop in years.
View Quote
Aren't you just precious
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:22:37 PM EDT
[#31]
The one local Ford service manager (there's 3 of them) I deal with is fantastic and an actual car guy too.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:22:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
My 4Runner has been doing the same thing lately.  Quit buying cheap ass gas from Gas Mart and see what happens.

*Former Mechanic of both Autos and Aircraft.  
View Quote
I buy most of my gasoline on Downman road in New Orleans on my way to work. I'm more worried about getting shot than buying bad fuel.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:25:03 PM EDT
[#33]
99% of everyone that comes in thinks they already know exactly whats wrong and could fix it themselves if it weren't beneath them. If they are told anything other than what they guessed it is. If that procedure costs more than $ 25 or takes longer than a half hour. The mechanic is incompetent and a swindler.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:27:00 PM EDT
[#34]
You haven't seen grumpy until you have worked with machinists.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:27:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
because now they gotta pull the tank to replace a sender with a full tank of fuel, which requires draining the tank first and that pretty much sucks no matter how good your gas caddy is.
View Quote
Or just unhook the line at the fuel rail, slide a hose over it, and jumper the relay to pump the gas into the drum?
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:28:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Most people are dicks because their life sucks.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:32:07 PM EDT
[#37]
There are a lot of really shitty "mechanics" out there just like really crappy AR builders and 1911 "pistolsmiths".

Someone manages to turn a socket wrench or replace an oil filter and now they think they are an ASE  certififed mechanic.
Someone manages to insert a mag into an AR or 1911 and now they are magically ready to put up a a list of services they are not even remotely qualified to do.

As was mentioned already, customers expect expensive parts to come in at wholesale prices with no regard for shipping, storage, ..etc. costs. Labor is time and time is money. People need to realize that before walking into a garage.

A good "service manager" can help isolate the mechanic from the irate customer.

The days of mechanics combing through junk yards for used parts to put in cars and sell them at top dollar are kinda going by the way side.... liability insurance and lawyers have made that a difficult trade.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:32:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Most mechanics HATE people that understand how cars work, even moreso if they can turn wrenches themselves and are bringing their vehicle to a shop because they lack the time, space or motivation to do the job themselves. Or it is something that isn't in their wheelhouse.

I have encountered it several times as a pretty hardcore shadetree wrench. I farm out things like internal transmission work, alignments, differential setup and the like. I also don't do heavy work on the girlfriend's car (Lexus are a nightmare to work on).

For the most part I STFU about my ability and let them talk. Kind of a holdback to make sure I am not being bullshitted.

A lot of mechanics are socially awkward and don't like people much.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:33:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Anybody that works in a profession where they are expected to fix things that they did not break eventually get a little grumpy.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:33:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Because being a mechanic is a hard shitty job, and most people are a combination of idiot and asshole. This is why i sit in a cube and stay the fuck away from people.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:35:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
There are a lot of really shitty "mechanics" out there just like really crappy AR builders and 1911 "pistolsmiths".

Someone manages to turn a socket wrench or replace an oil filter and now they think they are an ASE  certififed mechanic.
Someone manages to insert a mag into an AR or 1911 and now they are magically ready to put up a a list of services they are not even remotely qualified to do.

As was mentioned already, customers expect expensive parts to come in at wholesale prices with no regard for shipping, storage, ..etc. costs. Labor is time and time is money. People need to realize that before walking into a garage.

A good "service manager" can help isolate the mechanic from the irate customer.

The days of mechanics combing through junk yards for used parts to put in cars and sell them at top dollar are kinda going by the way side.... liability insurance and lawyers have made that a difficult trade.
View Quote
Actually it created a whole new industry...  http://www.lkqcorp.com/en-us/
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:36:25 PM EDT
[#42]
There are assholes everywhere in this world. But as to your question, whoever is in charge there does not know how to train employees to act professionally. The service folks and mechanics at my stealership are extremely helpful & friendly.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:36:31 PM EDT
[#43]
I had a guy tell me he refused to rebuild the rear differential on my 2000 chevy S10 because the cost of repairs would exceed the value of the vehicle. (Pinion bearing went out)
I told him that's not the point, the vehicle is paid off, it's my daily driver and not an insurance claim. I want it fixed.

I guess he didn't want my money.

He just said come get your truck. Fuck that guy.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:37:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Lots of the reasons already given have validity but I will ad that you don't get paid shit for the amount of skill, knowledge and experience it takes to be a good mechanic.  The amount you have to spend on tools is ridiculous also.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:37:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
99% of everyone that comes in thinks they already know exactly whats wrong and could fix it themselves if it weren't beneath them. If they are told anything other than what they guessed it is. If that procedure costs more than $ 25 or takes longer than a half hour. The mechanic is incompetent and a swindler.
View Quote
Anyone with any idea about how fuel systems work could have an idea of what's wrong. And fixing the problem isn't beneath me. It is however outside the scope of my abilities given that I live in a building with mandatory valet parking, lack of tools for the job, and I already said that I know my place and I'm not a mechanic. I'm definitely not treated like a mouth breather when I take the jet in for work.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:38:44 PM EDT
[#46]
You dropped off a vehicle with a full tank of gas that poor mechanic now has to drop to replace the sending unit.

Don't be surprised if you need to fill up again when you pick your truck up.

Or could be the fuel gauge is at fault.

Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:40:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
Then you have the experts in the shop telling you it is fixed when it isnt then they are telling you they cant recreate the problem when you start it up and before you get out of the lot it is glaring you in the face. Some of us do have at least a clue about some things. Yes i admit i just want to turn the key and drive now after a lifetime of working on crap building motors restored a 1971 Chevelle and a Corvette. Was an ASE master tech bodyman and painter. I work on and trouble shoot multimillion dollar equipment now for my day job.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:41:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Dealing with the dick public makes them that way?
View Quote
^This ?
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:41:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Need year make model 4cyl or V6, 2wd, 4wd etc...
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:41:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Because people are idiots?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top