Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 6:35:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I just had my Toyota in for a 6month/7500mile service. It has 6800 miles on it.

Oil change, tire rotation blah blah blah.

2 hours later it is done and I drive out of the dealership.

The low tire pressure light comes on about 1/2 mile down the road.

I live 5 miles away and said fuck it, I'll check it when I get home thinking the mechanic adjusted the tire pressures while rotating them and never reset the sensor.

Front tires were 8 to 10 pounds low and 1 back tire was 8 pounds low. ( I had checked and adjusted the pressures a month ago when the weather got cold).

I inflated them and reset the sensor, then called the dealership.

The paper they gave me of the inspection showed he checked the tires and they were all 35 pounds.

I told the service manager the guy needs to throw away his gauge or actually start checking pressures.

He thanked me and said he'd take care of the problem.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 6:42:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dealing with the dick public makes them that way?
View Quote
I imagine that could be the case.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 6:52:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would absolutely be fired for speaking to my owners/customers like I was spoken to. And it's a small world. It would be hard to get another job in this industry.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 7:01:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Probably from dealing with rust or shit engineering.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 7:04:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I wish I worked in an industry where I could deride the customer.
View Quote
Become a mechanic. You do have a point about service writers being dicks.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 7:06:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Aircraft mechanics are cunts also.
View Quote
I used to resemble that
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 7:12:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Or just unhook the line at the fuel rail, slide a hose over it, and jumper the relay to pump the gas into the drum?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
because now they gotta pull the tank to replace a sender with a full tank of fuel, which requires draining the tank first and that pretty much sucks no matter how good your gas caddy is.
Or just unhook the line at the fuel rail, slide a hose over it, and jumper the relay to pump the gas into the drum?
Most of the high-end scan tools will let you just turn the pump on.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 7:14:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 7:21:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Correction parts department people are the most angry a-holes in the world

The rest of it is true
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Correction parts department people are the most angry a-holes in the world

The rest of it is true
Angry? Nah, that's still the techs. I'll concede that parts guys are giant a-holes though. I've done both... The only times anyone got genuinely angry in the parts department were when the sales department got involved or when a lube tech started running their mouth.

I mentioned in your electrical diag thread that I now do fleet maintenance. I have to say, not dealing with actual customers has done wonders for my stress and anger. Hasn't done much for my a-holishness though

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
because now they gotta pull the tank to replace a sender with a full tank of fuel, which requires draining the tank first and that pretty much sucks no matter how good your gas caddy is.
Most of the high-end scan tools will let you just turn the pump on.
Toyota factory scan tools (Techstream) can kick on the pump. I've had to do it a handful of times to replace tanks.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 7:25:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Amateurs who think they know what they're doing are far worse dicks to the expert service people who SERVE them.

Ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 7:26:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Because they have to deal with people. People are stupid.
View Quote
This is fucking retarded reasoning.
Everyone deals with people, I’m tired of service industry tards using this excuse for their shitty behavior and attitude.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 7:30:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This is fucking retarded reasoning.
Everyone deals with people, I’m tired of service industry tards using this excuse for their shitty behavior and attitude.
View Quote
I'm tired of people entirely. All you retards stop doing what you're doing that bothers me.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 7:32:54 PM EDT
[#13]
The internet did it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 7:41:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Beacuse 99% of the general public don't know shit about cars.  We get tired of all the youtube certified mechanics customers coming in telling us how to do our job
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 7:44:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Beacuse 99% of the general public don't know shit about cars.  We get tired of all the youtube certified mechanics customers coming in telling us how to do our job
View Quote
The internet told me what was wrong so do that and when it doesn't work it's your fault and free for me.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 7:46:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Because they have to deal with people. People are stupid.
View Quote
Imagine if the medical profession adopted this point of view.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 7:46:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Amateurs who think they know what they're doing are far worse dicks to the expert service people who SERVE them.

Ask me how I know.
View Quote
I take my truck to the shop to allow 'experts' to fix it. Would you prefer me to roll in and say 'it's broken, fix it' or give you a detailed description of what's happening? Or is an ameteur even capable of understanding basic systems?
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 7:47:29 PM EDT
[#18]
We hate people and more importantly, we hate cars.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 7:50:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
More things often break on old cars while working on them and the high chance that some other part will fail soon after and result in a never ended fight with the owner about how his car ran great before he worked on it.

A mechanic doesn't want someones shit show project of never ending failure stuck on his lift.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had a guy tell me he refused to rebuild the rear differential on my 2000 chevy S10 because the cost of repairs would exceed the value of the vehicle. (Pinion bearing went out)
I told him that's not the point, the vehicle is paid off, it's my daily driver and not an insurance claim. I want it fixed.

I guess he didn't want my money.

He just said come get your truck. Fuck that guy.
More things often break on old cars while working on them and the high chance that some other part will fail soon after and result in a never ended fight with the owner about how his car ran great before he worked on it.

A mechanic doesn't want someones shit show project of never ending failure stuck on his lift.
Yup
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 8:18:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
We hate people and more importantly, we hate cars.
View Quote
I went into the industry because I thought I liked working on cars.

Boy, was I wrong
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 8:37:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Boy, was I wrong
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 8:41:29 PM EDT
[#22]
If any shop wants to remove it the truck bed rather than drop the tank to change sending units or fuel pumps, I'd run the other way.  It's two straps vs un bolting the bed. You still have the filler neck to undo. Still have the lines to do, which may require a disconnect tool weather or not the bed is in place.  Moving the bed is what six- eight bolts plus the light wire harness. Need at least a few guys to muscle it. I've done it plenty and never even considered taking the bed loose.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 8:47:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Auto mechanics are dicks because they have to deal with mechanically illiterate people all the time, and those same mechanically illiterate people expect all their auto problems to be solved for $5 and a song.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 8:49:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I take my truck to the shop to allow 'experts' to fix it. Would you prefer me to roll in and say 'it's broken, fix it' or give you a detailed description of what's happening? Or is an ameteur even capable of understanding basic systems?
View Quote
You may not of even been speaking with a service writer.

In my dealer you will talk to someone in our call center  the girls in there will actually type in everything that you say.

If you have all that info to a service writer your ro would say “ customer states fuel gauge inop”

We are dicks be cause we have to weed through the stupidity and bullshit to even begin to get the information that we require to diag the issue. Then they don’t want to pay us near the time that we have into it let alone the time we spent trying to actually figure out what the complaint actually is.

As a mechanic we are paid flat rate and have more obsticales im our way then we have support.

After all this at a Honda dealer the most I’m going to get paid for diag your electrical complaint is 24 minutes unless a Honda rep signs off on straight time which is like pulling teeth.

After all this the only thing the customer has to say is that I took too long and the free car wash wasn’t good enough for them. And we need gluten free snacks in the waiting lounge
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 8:50:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Auto mechanics are dicks because they have to deal with mechanically illiterate people all the time, and those same mechanically illiterate people expect all their auto problems to be solved for $5 and a song.
View Quote
Nah, we may seem like dicks because the tool truck just left before you got there and we are pissed off after dealing with those dicks.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:07:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You talked tto service writer. As a mechanic if if you would have given good notes on what the problem is then I would have smiled and thanked you.
View Quote
unfortunately no matter how good your notes are to the service writer, if the service writer sucks what gets written on the work order will be something like "gas no work gud"

best bet is to find a service writer that used to be a mechanic.  there was one at the mazda dealer I used to go to, he would read codes and check the basic stuff before checking cars in, which saved everyone involved a lot of time.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:13:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If any shop wants to remove it the truck bed rather than drop the tank to change sending units or fuel pumps, I'd run the other way.  It's two straps vs un bolting the bed. You still have the filler neck to undo. Still have the lines to do, which may require a disconnect tool weather or not the bed is in place.  Moving the bed is what six- eight bolts plus the light wire harness. Need at least a few guys to muscle it. I've done it plenty and never even considered taking the bed loose.
View Quote
In most cases it is much easier to loosen the bed and lift it up.

Not only that, but it's easy as hell to damage brittle plastic fuel line connections when dropping the tank.  It's so much easier to do with the bed out of the way.  It's a straight shot, with plenty of room.

I'm going to use an impact on the bed bolts and it might take me 20mins to get to the pump.  Maybe.

ETA: And depending on the size of the bed, I will either use 2 people to move it back a couple of feet, or if it's heavy I'll just use the lift.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 9:43:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

unfortunately no matter how good your notes are to the service writer, if the service writer sucks what gets written on the work order will be something like "gas no work gud"

best bet is to find a service writer that used to be a mechanic.  there was one at the mazda dealer I used to go to, he would read codes and check the basic stuff before checking cars in, which saved everyone involved a lot of time.
View Quote
I have a few customers that bring me nice list with good descriptions.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 12:13:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
I had a 76 Gran Torino back in the late 80's - 351W with a leaky rear main seal.
Dealership flat out refused to work on it & they actually told me "because when we work on these old cars we keep finding more broken stuff..."
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 12:15:30 AM EDT
[#30]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Boy, was I wrong
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK4T9_pSeYE
Yeah, my dad loves cars, became a mechanic, did that until he retired, still enjoys them, and actually DOES enjoy them now that he can do it at his leisure for himself. He warned me when I was considering that path as a teen, if you enjoy wrenching, and performance stuff do NOT do it for a career!
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 10:20:30 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm a shade tree mechanic myself and it's amazing how many auto mechanics are straight up liars and crooks because they know the general public doesn't know shit about cars..  See it through friends and family all the time and experienced it myself numerous times personally. Mechanics straight up lieing to my face both from dealerships and from small shops.  Shit is sickening.   Had a buddy that worked at a dealership for 19 years tell me all the stories of mechanics straight up lieing to customers to strum up work for themselves.  Fuck auto mechanics (except me of course)
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 10:24:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm a shade tree mechanic myself and it's amazing how many auto mechanics are straight up liars and crooks because they know the general public doesn't know shit about cars..  See it through friends and family all the time and experienced it myself numerous times personally. Mechanics straight up lieing to my face both from dealerships and from mom and pop shops.  Shit is sickening.   Had a buddy that worked at a dealership for 19 years tell me all the stories if mechanics straight up lieing to customers to strum up work with for themselves.  Fuck auto mechanics.
View Quote
You I'm a mechanic and I don't lie to people or think they are stupid. You are full of shit and a liar. I'm sure YouTube and forums have give you far more knowledge and experience than have in 20+ years of doing my job.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 10:28:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
You I'm a mechanic and I don't lie to people or think they are stupid. You are full of shit and a liar. I'm sure YouTube and forums have give you far more knowledge and experience than have in 20+ years of doing my job.
View Quote
Fuck you too then.   I'm just saying that with my dealings and my families/friends and personal accounts from my friend that worked at a dealership their are alot if dishonest mechanics out there.  Not all but a large majority.. Seen it all.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 10:29:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Nah, we may seem like dicks because the tool truck just left before you got there and we are pissed off after dealing with those dicks.
View Quote
You spelled "crack dealer that offers financing and a weekly payment option" wrong.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 10:29:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Fuck you too then.   I'm just saying that with my dealing and my families/friends and personal accounts from my friend that worked at a dealership their are alot if dishonest people out their.  Not all but MOST.
View Quote
You're saying that I am liar and a cheat. I bet you are projecting.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 10:32:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Your saying that I am liar and a cheat. I bet you are projecting.
View Quote
Maybe your one one of the good guys.  I'm just jaded because of all the shady stuff I've seen and heard I guess.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 10:32:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Why'd you call out mechanics then dog on service writers?

Service writers aren't mechanics, and they treat you like a child, because they have "experts" bringing cars in all day, every day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Why'd you call out mechanics then dog on service writers?

Service writers aren't mechanics, and they treat you like a child, because they have "experts" bringing cars in all day, every day.
This

Quoted:
You talked tto service writer. As a mechanic if if you would have given good notes on what the problem is then I would have smiled and thanked you.
And this.  Maybe not so much for this particular repair, but for sporadic issues, a list of symptoms and what the vehicle did at the time eases troubleshooting.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 10:34:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Aircraft mechanics are cunts also.
View Quote
10 plus years of midnight shift and working holidays, and then working a side job dealing with some private aircraft owners that don't understand what goes into certifying a part for use in aircraft will easily make us cunts, or as we prefer to be referred to as GOAMs (Grumpy Old Aircraft Mechanics).
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 10:38:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ding ding ding
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 10:40:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
Wasn't there a vid were a cleaning person with a sweeper at a garage set the whole place on fire bcuz of 20 gal gas from a customer's Tacoma... Burnt the whole place down...
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 10:49:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
After the 57th time you do a brake job and the customer blames you for his slipping transmission it gets old.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 10:50:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

And the biggest reason we don't want those guys around is because everything they worked on was half assed so it makes the job ten times worse because we spend half the time doing the job and the other half cleaning off gobs of silicon, replacing rounded off & missing bolts, undoing all of their YouTube "tips and tricks" that  were supposed to increase longevity of a part or make things easier. Add to the fact that this troglodyte is breathing down your neck the whole time acting like they're supervising when in reality they just want to learn something.
View Quote
There's a reason for the old adage (?),
Shop Labor
$50 hr
$75 hr if you watch.
$100 hr if you worked on it first.

Link Posted: 12/12/2017 10:50:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Too many pot needles in the shop.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 10:53:36 AM EDT
[#44]
I got away from dealing with the public a few years ago.
Too many dipshits out there and they far outnumber the good folks.

I work in an industrial environment now.
No contact at all with public or retail bullshit. Just me and my machines.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 11:08:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Latent repressed homosexuality.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 11:43:27 AM EDT
[#46]
Think of the most ignorant retarded fuck that you interact with daily.
Now remember all the cheap ass employers and customers you've work with.
Now picture every know it all engineer, government worker and all around expert who just doesn't have the "Tools, time or space " .
We all know criminals who lie cheat and steal from anyone right. Now pretend you are their favorite sport.
Now picture every asshole you've ever met.

You know what they have in common ?
They drive a car, can't fix it and want something for free.

While I trained all my people to be professional there is always somebody who is going to be offended because their standards aren't met.
Some people need to have their hand held while others need to tell you how to do your job and 90% of people want your time for free.

Good luck
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 11:52:56 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm a shade tree mechanic myself and it's amazing how many auto mechanics are straight up liars and crooks because they know the general public doesn't know shit about cars..  See it through friends and family all the time and experienced it myself numerous times personally. Mechanics straight up lieing to my face both from dealerships and from small shops.  Shit is sickening.   Had a buddy that worked at a dealership for 19 years tell me all the stories of mechanics straight up lieing to customers to strum up work for themselves.  Fuck auto mechanics (except me of course)
View Quote
Maybe what the SA or mechanic said was misinterpreted by the customer so much they have no idea what they were even told and just picked up on a few words that sounded like something.

I've told customer why things are happening, they want a full detailed explanation but the look on their face is like trying to explain how a lightswitch works to a dog.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 12:07:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
Shade tree mechanics are cute.  I love fixing their work.  I swear most of them barely fog a mirror.  Their repairs are typically held together with RTV and duct tape.  I just did one where the shade tree "fixed" the water pump.  And for some reason it was making noise.  LOL! It was a huge job to fix that mess.

Shade tree mechanics.  LOL.  Bunch of incompetent morons if you ask me.  Fuck them.

ETA: Actually, no dont fuck them.  Let them keep working on cars pretending they know more then they do.  I made 2k of that last one that was "fixed" by the shade tree.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 12:39:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 12:42:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck you too then.   I'm just saying that with my dealing and my families/friends and personal accounts from my friend that worked at a dealership their are alot if dishonest people out their.  Not all but MOST.
Most likely!
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top